PDA

View Full Version : Ivan Sproule.

blackpoolhibs
03-05-2010, 01:48 PM
I went to the Blackpool v Bristol game yesterday, and Ivan played for the 1st hour or so. He was up against Steven Crainey, who never gave him a kick of the ball. What was interesting though was, imho the wee man seems to have lost a bit of his pace. He was nowhere near as quick as i remember him, and had no impact in the game at all.

Fartley on the other hand, had a decent game in the midfield for Bristol, until he too was taken off.

HibbyAndy
03-05-2010, 02:05 PM
Yeah i watched abit of the game..Looks like he has a few grey hairs on his heid tae :greengrin

zlatan
03-05-2010, 02:07 PM
Stephen Crainey bought a puppy off me a couple of years ago.

True story cubs.

RickyS
03-05-2010, 02:57 PM
Stephen Crainey bought a puppy off me a couple of years ago.

True story cubs.

show us your puppies then:greengrin

Bayern Bru
03-05-2010, 03:26 PM
I went to the Blackpool v Bristol game yesterday, and Ivan played for the 1st hour or so. He was up against Steven Crainey, who never gave him a kick of the ball. What was interesting though was, imho the wee man seems to have lost a bit of his pace. He was nowhere near as quick as i remember him, and had no impact in the game at all.

That'll be because you had the unmitigated joy of watching Alan O'Brien - 'Ivan Sproule on a motorbike.'

We're spoilt, we really are.

Alfred E Newman
03-05-2010, 04:02 PM
Yeah i watched abit of the game..Looks like he has a few grey hairs on his heid tae :greengrin

Even when he is 65 he will still be quicker than most of the carthorses at ER at the moment.

HibbyAndy
03-05-2010, 04:04 PM
Even when he is 65 he will still be quicker than most of the carthorses at ER at the moment.

Dunno like..Did you know Ken John Rankin can do the 100 metres in 11 seconds :greengrin

hibees53
03-05-2010, 04:21 PM
We could do with some of Ivans pace in the present Hibs team,When you think back we had Murphy and Whittaker as full backs again with pace.

--------
03-05-2010, 04:36 PM

Fartley on the other hand, had a decent game in the midfield for Bristol, until he too was taken off.

Watched the first half-hour on TV, and I thought the same. Looked a shadow of his former self. (Football journo cliche smilie.) Crainey actually looked quite impressive.

skipster7
03-05-2010, 04:38 PM
would take all three of the players mentioned in a flash:agree:

blackpoolhibs
03-05-2010, 04:40 PM
Watched the first half-hour on TV, and I thought the same. Looked a shadow of his former self. (Football journo cliche smilie.) Crainey actually looked quite impressive.

Yes Doddie he looked a different player. What did the atmosphere sound like on the telly, as being there was better than any Hibs game i have ever been to. The ground was bouncing 15-20 minutes before the game started, and they kept it going, bar a lull for 10 or so minutes, through to the end?

yekimevol
03-05-2010, 04:49 PM
maybe yogi could sprinkle his 'magic gold dust ' on him and get him bacj were he belongs

iwasthere1972
03-05-2010, 07:18 PM

I said on the Wednesday v Palace thread which I :hijack::top marks to Ivan for waving away any claims for a penalty which may have been awarded by the referee after Ivan "tripped" himself inside the penalty box. :faf:

Ivan will always be remembered at Hibs. Even if he was on a zimmer he would be quicker than Nish.

3-0. :notworthy: :notworthy:

Jonnyboy
03-05-2010, 07:23 PM
Yes Doddie he looked a different player. What did the atmosphere sound like on the telly, as being there was better than any Hibs game i have ever been to. The ground was bouncing 15-20 minutes before the game started, and they kept it going, bar a lull for 10 or so minutes, through to the end?

Did they leave the noise to the fans G, rather than playing bloody music all the time?

blackpoolhibs
03-05-2010, 07:28 PM
Did they leave the noise to the fans G, rather than playing bloody music all the time?

They have a couple of drummers at both ends of the ground, and they play glad all over for some reason when they score, why i dont know? Yesterday was the best atmosphere at a football match, i have ever been to. Only around 12-13k at the game, but every man women and child got right behind the team, :top markssomething i have not seen at easter road for a long time, if ever?

Sir David Gray
03-05-2010, 07:29 PM
He could have slowed down to a snail's pace and I would still take the guy back at ER in a heartbeat.

Jonnyboy
03-05-2010, 07:32 PM
They have a couple of drummers at both ends of the ground, and they play glad all over for some reason when they score, why i dont know? Yesterday was the best atmosphere at a football match, i have ever been to. Only around 12-13k at the game, but every man women and child got right behind the team, :top markssomething i have not seen at easter road for a long time, if ever?

I think your experience and ones I had recently serve to emphasise that Hibs fans can be very negative at games G and I'm certain that negativity is felt on the park.

I was at the Sheffield derby a couple of weeks ago and the atmosphere was phenomenal. Hugely positive from both sets of fans with very little baiting of each other.

iwasthere1972
03-05-2010, 07:35 PM

YouTube - Blackpool fans Glad All Over play off winners (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVKpv1JaJWM)

:thumbsup:

erin go bragh
03-05-2010, 07:41 PM
take it you were not at the eak athens game:wink:

The Voice Of Reason
03-05-2010, 07:45 PM

Was about to post the same ! :thumbsup:

The atmosphere at the 6-2 game wisnae bad either !!!!!

blackpoolhibs
03-05-2010, 07:48 PM

Yip i was there, and i have been to every big game we have played in since the late 60s, and believe me sundays atmosphere was was a huge improvement on that game.

iwasthere1972
03-05-2010, 07:52 PM
Still can't beat Sunshine on Leith.

YouTube - HIBERNIAN V DNIPRO - SUNSHINE ON LEITH - *2005-2006 UEFA CUP* (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFECUCUbbd4)

blackpoolhibs
03-05-2010, 07:53 PM
Was about to post the same ! :thumbsup:

The atmosphere at the 6-2 game wisnae bad either !!!!!

Both games were superb, right up there with the best i have seen supporting Hibs. Some people might not like to hear this, but we really are not very good at easter road, when making or generating an atmosphere.

I have been to many games down here, mostly championship games, and the supporters get behind their team an awful lot better than we do, even when there is not a lot happening, or the game is not that important. It certainly opens your eyes.

Franck is God
04-05-2010, 12:00 PM
I always liked Ivan but his best performances were normally from the bench as an impact player. His best attribute was his pace and that will have more of an effect 60 minutes into a game rather than from the start.

I'd have him back at ER but wouldn't ever see him as first choice just like his first spell. He'd be the best sub in the league though.

Speedway
04-05-2010, 12:35 PM
Both games were superb, right up there with the best i have seen supporting Hibs. Some people might not like to hear this, but we really are not very good at easter road, when making or generating an atmosphere.

I have been to many games down here, mostly championship games, and the supporters get behind their team an awful lot better than we do, even when there is not a lot happening, or the game is not that important. It certainly opens your eyes.

We're not prepared to accept that BH...lalalalalalalalalalal can't hear you...lalalalalalalalala.

Hibs fan's downfall, IMO, is our sense of entitlement. We somehow think we're a big club, we hark on about things that happened before many of the support were born, as if they happened yesterday and we claim the most ridiculous accolades 'First to have undersoil heating' :faf::faf:

I'm sure if we had the sense of reality that championship clubs have, it would be more fun to support Hibs again because expectations would be far more humble.

Any way you slice it, in any context other than the tiny country we're in, we're not a big club.

Allant1981
04-05-2010, 12:39 PM
We're not prepared to accept that BH...lalalalalalalalalalal can't hear you...lalalalalalalalala.

Hibs fan's downfall, IMO, is our sense of entitlement. We somehow think we're a big club, we hark on about things that happened before many of the support were born, as if they happened yesterday and we claim the most ridiculous accolades 'First to have undersoil heating' :faf::faf:

I'm sure if we had the sense of reality that championship clubs have, it would be more fun to support Hibs again because expectations would be far more humble.

Any way you slice it, in any context other than the tiny country we're in, we're not a big club.

but you have just said we are not a big club, but we are a big club in scotland

Speedway
04-05-2010, 12:51 PM

We're a 10,000 regularly supported club. Lower championship to high league 1 is a fair comparison.

but you have just said we are not a big club, but we are a big club in scotland

That's like boasting about being a Director of a 4 man company.

Allant1981
04-05-2010, 12:56 PM
We're a 10,000 regularly supported club. Lower championship to high league 1 is a fair comparison.

That's like boasting about being a Director of a 4 man company.

well no it isnt but if thats what you think then ill bow to your superior wisdom.

Hainan Hibs
04-05-2010, 04:20 PM
Jesus christ, may as well cut the wrists, put on Coldplay and slowly fade away in the bath.

Now we are actually trying to say the AEK Athens atmosphere, the SOL after the CIS Cup Final, are beaten by Blackpool vs Bristol.

Complete and utter wind up merchant.

blackpoolhibs
04-05-2010, 04:23 PM
Jesus christ, may as well cut the wrists, put on Coldplay and slowly fade away in the bath.

Now we are actually trying to say the AEK Athens atmosphere, the SOL after the CIS Cup Final, are beaten by Blackpool vs Bristol.

What a load of sheite. I was at both of those games, and the Blackpool game was miles better for atmosphere. We never cranked the singing up 15 minutes before those games, and did not have the whole crowd singing for most of the games. We really are not that great as supporters.

Speedway
04-05-2010, 04:35 PM

To be fair, I've attended one Blackpool game, one Burnley game and one Wolves game when they were all in the Championship and the atmosphere at them all pees all over ours.

Owain_1987
04-05-2010, 04:44 PM

Well maybe but I bet you Blackpool fans are usually boring aswell. If they get to the final Cardiff will out sing them and out number them :greengrin

--------
04-05-2010, 04:48 PM

Sounded pretty good to me, bh. They kept it up, too, even when they went behind in the first half.

I've been very impressed with the attitude of the fans of some of the less prominent (shall we say?) English clubs I've watched on TV recently - they seem to be there to enjoy themselves and make a heck of a racket doing so.

But then, I've had livelier congregations than some parts of the West and North Stands at ER, TBH.

A few weeks back when Wigan went 2-0 to Arsenal and relegation started looming, their fans got right behind the team - drums, chants, non-stop encouragement. Got their reward, too. What's Blackpool's capacity at present, bh?

blackpoolhibs
04-05-2010, 04:51 PM
Sounded pretty good to me, bh. They kept it up, too, even when they went behind in the first half.

I've been very impressed with the attitude of the fans of some of the less prominent (shall we say?) English clubs I've watched on TV recently - they seem to be there to enjoy themselves and make a heck of a racket doing so.

But then, I've had livelier congregations than some parts of the West and North Stands at ER, TBH.

(Of course, that's usually on Snake-Handling Sundays. :devil:)

Nail hit firmly on head. :agree:

Bishop Hibee
04-05-2010, 04:58 PM
If atmosphere means fans singing for an entire game then maybe the Blackpool v Bristol City game was one of the greatest in UK football history.

If atmosphere means build up, tension, drama and meaning combined with goal celebrations and singing then from a Hibs point of view 6-2 or 0-3 v Hearts, the 1991 and 2007 League Cup Final victories and our games against Anderlecht and AEK Athens beat the above hands down.

I'd take Ivan back instantly to get back on topic!

basehibby
04-05-2010, 05:00 PM
I think it's a lot to do with expectations - Blackpool and Bristol have been in the doldrums for decades - now that they're going pretty well in the Championship it's fairly understandable that their fans are bouncing.

If you look back to the season after we got promoted for comparison, I think the atmosphere was very bouyant back then. That's not to say that our fans are above criticism though - we have an enormous proportion of would be managers determined to give certain players a verbal "teacuping" at every home game. We also have plenty who seem to think it's uncool to sing (a number which seems to include many of the loudest moaners) :confused: .

To a certain extent it's an understandable malaise - Hibs get similar crowds to Blackpool and Bristol but are relatively much bigger fish in the SPL pond which leads to higher expectations. Add to that our outstanding record of underachievement over the years and it's not surprising that a bit of fatalism creeps in amongst the support.

That's not much of an excuse though - there's many games I've been to where I've been left scratching my head at the apparent apathy of the support. Usually we're talking about mid-season games vs the likes of Falkirk/Hamilton etc. where the prevailing attitude seems to be that we are divinely entitled to a display of scintilating football resulting in the points and anything less than a barrowload of goals will be greeted with a half hearted cheer and mild applause.

I find this perplexing as the points vs these teams are worth exactly the same as the points you get for beating the OF or the Yams - EVERY game is a big game in the league IMO and whether your team is chasing europe or fighting against relegation, the points gained vs Falkirk in mid-October are every bit as valuable as those won (or not) vs the Yams in early May.

--------
04-05-2010, 05:03 PM
If atmosphere means fans singing for an entire game then maybe the Blackpool v Bristol City game was one of the greatest in UK football history.

If atmosphere means build up, tension, drama and meaning combined with goal celebrations and singing then from a Hibs point of view 6-2 or 0-3 v Hearts, the 1991 and 2007 League Cup Final victories and our games against Anderlecht and AEK Athens beat the above hands down.

I'd take Ivan back instantly to get back on topic!

He really didn't look very good - not the player he was when he left us, IMO.

As for comparative atmosphere, the Blackpool game was way more impressive than the "atmosphere" at the Edinburgh derby the day before. Crowds roughly comparable, too.

blackpoolhibs
04-05-2010, 05:07 PM
As for comparative atmosphere, the Blackpool game was way more impressive than the "atmosphere" at the Edinburgh derby the day before. Crowds roughly comparable, too.

Bob i was at both, there was no comparison, it was the best atmosphere i have sampled. I have been to world cup finals, and seen Scotland play Brazil in Paris, Sundays atmosphere was much better than anything i have been to.