PDA

View Full Version : Smith abuse on Saturday

Penrith Hibee
03-05-2010, 12:35 PM
I know it has been mentioned in other threads but as I lifelong Hibee of a lot of years, the obvious abuse that Smith was getting made me feel a wee bit ashamed to be a Hibs fan on Saturday.

I've seen far worse displays by a Hibs player but I have never resorted to personally abusing our team during any game. Can somebody point out how that helps the team?

Jeff

Dunbar Hibee
03-05-2010, 12:36 PM
I know it has been mentioned in other threads but as I lifelong Hibee of a lot of years, the obvious abuse that Smith was getting made me feel a wee bit ashamed to be a Hibs fan on Saturday.

I've seen far worse displays by a Hibs player but I have never resorted to personally abusing our team during any game. Can somebody point out how that helps the team?

Jeff

That was bang out of order, and he looked shocked and distressed. Phannies imo

lapsedhibee
03-05-2010, 12:39 PM

Jeff

There's a proportion of 'Hibs fans' who mistake a match at ER for the psychotics r us meeting they really need to be at every week.

Cropley10
03-05-2010, 12:42 PM
Aye poor wee soul did his best eh - especially for their second.

Dunbar Hibee
03-05-2010, 12:43 PM

Didn't deserve the abuse that he got.

HibbyAndy
03-05-2010, 12:45 PM
Think sometimes we just get a little bit heated in the heat of the moment.

bingo70
03-05-2010, 12:46 PM

Jeff

the amount of times hibs keepers **** up against hearts is unbelievable now, i know he can't take the blame for all of them, however i can fully understand fans losing the plot about it.

Cropley10
03-05-2010, 12:46 PM
Didn't deserve the abuse that he got.

Agreed - what abuse did he get?

I sit West Upper which might as well be half a mile away:greengrin

Dunbar Hibee
03-05-2010, 12:54 PM
Agreed - what abuse did he get?

I sit West Upper which might as well be half a mile away:greengrin

I sit in the FF but a couple of my pals sit in the South Lower and people were actually just jumping down the front to abuse him. Tellin him to **** off the jambo ******* etc.. bang out imo:agree:

Bayern Bru
03-05-2010, 12:55 PM
I sit in the FF but a couple of my pals sit in the South Lower and people were actually just jumping down the front to abuse him. Tellin him to **** off the jambo ******* etc.. bang out imo:agree:

That'll presumably be the headcases assuming that because he's rumoured to be a Jambo that he threw the game for them? :rolleyes:

His debut was against the Hertz and he kept us in it for a large part of the game.

Oscar Lomax
03-05-2010, 01:19 PM

Unfortunately, there is a moronic element within the Hibs support. These bampots think they pay their money and have the right to shout a lot of nonsense at players and in general. They will not sit on their backsides and watch the match thus spoiling it for everyone around them that has to listen to the nonsense.

persevere1875
03-05-2010, 01:21 PM
Maybe just epitomises the feelings of total frustration felt around Easter Rd at the moment by a large percentage of the support, whilst this doesnt excuse it, perhaps the merry-go-round of promises of a new dawn closely followed by the same old problems seen at ER over the past few seasons is leading to more and more supporters venting their frustrations at the players, manager, each other and anyone else within shooting distance.

While the team continue playing the way they are and the obvious lack of any belief in themselves from the team on the pitch continues, any belief from the supporters on the chosen line up/formation/managers ability to see how to change things continues, the venting of frustration will continue and will undoubtably get worse IMO.

:dunno:

blackpoolhibs
03-05-2010, 01:23 PM
Surely those folk blaming Smith for the goals have got it all wrong, and it was clearly Yogi's fault he threw the game?

Allant1981
03-05-2010, 01:25 PM
Surely those folk blaming Smith for the goals have got it all wrong, and it was clearly Yogi's fault he threw the game?

nah it was hoggs fault, he should have outjumped the guy who is two foot taller than him

Teo10
03-05-2010, 01:29 PM
nah it was hoggs fault, he should have outjumped the guy who is two foot taller than him

nah, it was defo Galbraiths fault, if he was on the pitch he would have saved that shot:agree:

--------
03-05-2010, 01:31 PM
He's the goalkeeper.

He's there to be abused.

All our other current keepers have caught it - except Brown, and he hasn't played yet. But his turn will come.

Why should Smith be any different?

Elephant Stone
03-05-2010, 01:42 PM
It was embarrassing. As angry as we might have been, most people can see that congregating behind our own goalkeeper during a game and giving him abuse is probably going to do more harm than good.

On top of that I thought it was thoroughly undeserved, he's had a good season overall and giving him that kind of abuse was really pretty ****. Hopefully he realises that it was just a handful of twats and that he is valued by the support as a whole.

Allant1981
03-05-2010, 01:44 PM
It was embarrassing. As angry as we might have been, most people can see that congregating behind our own goalkeeper during a game and giving him abuse is probably going to do more harm than good.

On top of that I thought it was thoroughly undeserved, he's had a good season overall and giving him that kind of abuse was really pretty ****. Hopefully he realises that it was just a handful of twats and that he is valued by the support as a whole.

yip i agree, ive been impressed with smith on the whole since he signed. didnt have a very good game against hearts but no one played exceptionally well. Im all for giving players stick if they need a kick up the backside but when it starts to get personal then it should stop

Diclonius
03-05-2010, 01:47 PM
Smith didn't deserve the abuse - that was probably his first poor performance all season. On a side note, it's almost four years since they've beaten us without our goalkeeper making an error. Unbelievable.

Leith Green
03-05-2010, 01:48 PM
Have to be honest, gave Smith pelters from the front of the south stand too on Saturday and was ****ing raging at the time, however in the cold light of day I do feel quite shan on Smith now, and really wish I hadnt..

To be fair though derby games are frenzied and things can get a little heated,I seem to remember Smith giving it back though in exactly the same way and this in turn caused more fans to run down and start abusing him.

At the end of the day Smith was at fault for both goals and fans will look for a scaoegoat if a derby goes tits up!

Allant1981
03-05-2010, 01:49 PM
Have to be honest, gave Smith pelters from the front of the south stand too on Saturday and was ****ing raging at the time, however in the cold light of day I do feel quite shan on Smith now, and really wish I hadnt..

To be fair though derby games are frenzied and things can get a little heated,I seem to remember Smith giving it back though in exactly the same way and this in turn caused more fans to run down and start abusing him.

At the end of the day Smith was at fault for both goals and fans will look for a scaoegoat if a derby goes tits up!

thats why nish and hogg are there!!!

blackpoolhibs
03-05-2010, 01:50 PM
Smith didn't deserve the abuse - that was probably his first poor performance all season. On a side note, it's almost four years since they've beaten us without our goalkeeper making an error. Unbelievable.

Did his superman impression at dingwall not count?

hibsbollah
03-05-2010, 01:54 PM

Shipping 5 against St Johnstone wasnt the best performance either:greengrin
I like Smith, but until Hibs fans stop the hysterical reactions to the first few goalkeeper mistakes nothing will ever change, whether its Maka, Smith or Buffon.

Leith Green
03-05-2010, 01:54 PM

Hogg and Nish have been poor for the past 2 seasons and it is now a bigger surprise if they actually have a solid game..

Smith has done nowt wrong all season, and then had a poor second half. thats why I felt shan for giving him pelters, cant say the same for Hogg or Nish though

RIP
03-05-2010, 02:03 PM
It's only a matter of time before I deck someone for abusing one of our own players

Or die in the attempt:greengrin

ZERO TOLERANCE for next season :thumbsup:

Hainan Hibs
03-05-2010, 02:10 PM
If only we could direct the abuse at opposition players we might actually do our bit in getting a "Fortress Easter Road".

Phil MaGlass
03-05-2010, 02:15 PM
As I have said before, it could be our fans have reached breaking point and the next step is not to come back to ER, its a sad state of affairs so it is. From what I gather from reading here, Hibs players are getting singled out regularly.It didnt always happen all the time but it does now.

Hainan Hibs, yir quite right If only we could direct the abuse at opposition players we might actually do our bit in getting a "Fortress Easter Road". But that doesnt seem like it will change in the near future.

seanraff07
03-05-2010, 02:15 PM
Can't stand it when fans decide to give our own players pelters especially at the game, is that not what this is for?:greengrin

But it doesn't do any good, isn't exactly going to boost their confidence that's for sure.

HibbyAndy
03-05-2010, 02:18 PM
Players getting it tight is part and parcel of the game...Just have broad shoulders and deal with it.

He *****ed up badly, He should deal with it.

Toaods
03-05-2010, 03:10 PM
Hopefully Maka is between the sticks at Fir Park as the crosses will be flying in.

Bayern Bru
03-05-2010, 03:17 PM
Shipping 5 against St Johnstone wasnt the best performance either:greengrin
I like Smith, but until Hibs fans stop the hysterical reactions to the first few goalkeeper mistakes nothing will ever change, whether its Maka, Smith or Buffon.

Ffs, has Yogi signed ANOTHER keeper? :bitchy::greengrin

I was at the St J game. Smith prevented it from becoming a cricket score and couldn't really be faulted for any of their goals IMO.

I reckon Smith will play on Wednesday, with Maka on the bench. In fact I think it'll largely be the same team but Cregg will be in there somewhere. :rolleyes:

hibsbollah
03-05-2010, 03:50 PM
I was at the St J game. Smith prevented it from becoming a cricket score and couldn't really be faulted for any of their goals IMO.

I only saw the goals on the highlights so I accept what your saying. But if thats the case its ridiculous that Smith was dropped immediately afterwards for the next game.

marinello59
03-05-2010, 03:53 PM
I only saw the goals on the highlights so I accept what your saying. But if thats the case its ridiculous that Smith was dropped immediately afterwards for the next game.

I was at Perth and Smith was not the guilty man that night.
Yogi said at the time that he wanted Stack in for Smith as he felt Stack was more vocal about giving Bamba directions. Whatever that meant?

Bayern Bru
03-05-2010, 03:55 PM

Yep. Which incidentally was against Motherwell at Fir Park.
Yogi's reasoning of 'Bamba benefits from Stack's presence' was single fish.
I wonder how many of the EPL sides decide who their keeper is going to be based on the needs of one defender.

Smith made a few good saves that other keepers might not have got to. In all honesty, St Johnstone could have, and came very close to scoring 7 that night.

Danderhall Hibs
03-05-2010, 04:06 PM
I was at Perth and Smith was not the guilty man that night.
Yogi said at the time that he wanted Stack in for Smith as he felt Stack was more vocal about giving Bamba directions. Whatever that meant?

It means he's a better organiser IMO.

Bayern Bru
03-05-2010, 04:07 PM
It means he's a better organiser IMO.

Or Bamba can't hear Smith's yelps.
:greengrin

It could well be. I wondered if there was something more sinister going on but that sounds likely.

matty_f
03-05-2010, 05:09 PM
I wonder why we give our own players more stick than we give the opposition.

When I first started going to the football, we always gave it tight to the opponents, but now the only folk that get pelters are Hibs players.

Leith Green
03-05-2010, 06:20 PM
I wonder why we give our own players more stick than we give the opposition.

When I first started going to the football, we always gave it tight to the opponents, but now the only folk that get pelters are Hibs players.

It's frustration mate, plain and simple... What also doesnt help is the fact that modern day players are handsomely paid and arent as easy to relate to as the players of the mid nineties downwards, for example I automatically think that eejit Nish gets paid 2k a week to fall about for ninety minutes.

There are a couple of players who i genuinelly attempt not to slate but find it immpossible.. I think I'm more inclined to give opposition players it tight when we actually have a good side ourselves.

JimBHibees
03-05-2010, 06:37 PM

Dont agree with the abuse he may have got, however he has sold us in a derby and surely wouldnt expect anything else. He also flapped us out of the Scottish cup so he is clearly picking great games to kok up in.

JimBHibees
03-05-2010, 06:39 PM
Players getting it tight is part and parcel of the game...Just have broad shoulders and deal with it.

He *****ed up badly, He should deal with it.

Totally agree it isnt the BB's 5 a side these are massive games he is making basic errors in.

Kaiser1962
03-05-2010, 06:51 PM

You say some fair points there but have to disagree that Smith was totally at fault. IMHO Hanlon was just as culpable, if not more so, especially at the first when he should have put it out of the ground rather than pussy it back 15 yards with Clum up his rectum and all over him like a cheap suit. At the second while Smith missed the ball Hanlon was almost on top of him there too. To be fair to Smith he was interviewed after the game and left Hanlon out of his explanation totally. I would hate the fans to shout at the younger players the same way that do at the more seasoned pro's, hate that as well tho.

Penrith Hibee
03-05-2010, 06:58 PM

Crops, he didn't cover himself in glory at either goal, especially the second but that's not the point. I have seen some pitiful displays over the years and individual errors of momentous proportions, going back to Jim Herriot, Sloop's og at hunbrox, Millen getting sent off in a relegation game v Airdrie for stupidity, the 6-1 game etc....but I will never abuse a Hibs player on the park.

I hope Smith plays on Weds and I'll be there to cheer him on, I may even rush to the front of the stand (if we are in the lower) to do that!

Can anyone remember a player deliberately making mistakes (even Caldwell...)?

'mon the Hibees....

Thecat23
03-05-2010, 07:09 PM
Crops, he didn't cover himself in glory at either goal, especially the second but that's not the point. I have seen some pitiful displays over the years and individual errors of momentous proportions, going back to Jim Herriot, Sloop's og at hunbrox, Millen getting sent off in a relegation game v Airdrie for stupidity, the 6-1 game etc....but I will never abuse a Hibs player on the park.

I hope Smith plays on Weds and I'll be there to cheer him on, I may even rush to the front of the stand (if we are in the lower) to do that!

'mon the Hibees....

:top marksFor me he's a good keeper and the bounce it took threw him, he should have delt with it better but where was the making at the back post? for me 11 players on sat bottled it and to say smith was the only one to blame is utter pish. Some fans on here love a keeper * up and they thrive on ripping them. clowns if you ask me and i hope he stays between the sticks.

Allant1981
04-05-2010, 07:27 AM
:top marksFor me he's a good keeper and the bounce it took threw him, he should have delt with it better but where was the making at the back post? for me 11 players on sat bottled it and to say smith was the only one to blame is utter pish. Some fans on here love a keeper * up and they thrive on ripping them. clowns if you ask me and i hope he stays between the sticks.

it bounced about a yard in front of him, im a fan of smith but there is no way the bounce can be used as an excuse for that goal. Hopefully he makes it for it on wed

Leith Green
04-05-2010, 08:13 AM
[QUOTE=superhibi1;2449893]

You say some fair points there but have to disagree that Smith was totally at fault. IMHO Hanlon was just as culpable, if not more so, especially at the first when he should have put it out of the ground rather than pussy it back 15 yards with Clum up his rectum and all over him like a cheap suit. At the second while Smith missed the ball Hanlon was almost on top of him there too. To be fair to Smith he was interviewed after the game and left Hanlon out of his explanation totally. I would hate the fans to shout at the younger players the same way that do at the more seasoned pro's, hate that as well tho.

Yip agree with you, but at the game we didnt have the benefit of tv replays etc, he looked to blame for them both at the time hence the bad reaction fae the fans.. In all there were a few folk to blame for the goals conceded

Allant1981
04-05-2010, 08:24 AM
[QUOTE=Kaiser1962;2450410]

Yip agree with you, but at the game we didnt have the benefit of tv replays etc, he looked to blame for them both at the time hence the bad reaction fae the fans.. In all there were a few folk to blame for the goals conceded

thats the annoying thing, both goals could have been prevented with better defending from midfield and defence. May be wrong but wasnt it riordan who tried a long through ball to start with for one of the goals and the defender ran away with it as it was no where near nish. 30 secs later we concede a crappy goal

Cropley10
04-05-2010, 08:24 AM

'mon the Hibees....

Fair points.

For the record this forum should be the place to let off steam about our players not Easter Road.

But that second goal of theirs doesn't get any better the more times you see it! What was he thinking :grr: :greegrin:

--------
04-05-2010, 08:42 AM
[QUOTE=Kaiser1962;2450410]

Aye but every first-team goalkeeper we have (except Brown, who hasn't played yet) has had pelters from his own supporters at some time or another this season, and we're at the point where playing in goal for Hibs is a totally thankless task. If our goalies make a mistake - any mistake, and they're subjected to vitriolic abuse from one section of the support or another.

It does no good if afterwards people come on here and say, "Oh, well, now that I've seen the replay..." The damage has been done at the stadium, during the match. Why would any goalkeeper WANT to play for Hibs, other than to draw a wage and earn a move elsewhere? Away from the Hibs "fans"?

I would suggest that NOT ONE of the three first-team goalies has deserved the bile that some people have spewed at them this season, not Maka, not Stack, not Smith. Any one of them is a more than adequate SPL keeper.

(The same could be said about a number of outfield players, too - how often have we seen threads or posts starting "***** GTF" or "***** is s***e" or similar this season? Too often.)

I'm as frustrated and depressed and angry about the present situation as anyone, but what gets me really depressed and annoyed is the abuse (not the reasoned criticism, the abuse) that we direct against our own team. It's always been around at ER, but right now it's rampant. Most of it's just nasty. Some of it's racist, against Maka, Bamba, and the Moroccans. Probably Thicot, too.

Truth is, ER's no fun right now, and poor results are only part of the reason.

Leith Green
04-05-2010, 09:26 AM
[QUOTE=Leith Green;2450900]

Aye but every first-team goalkeeper we have (except Brown, who hasn't played yet) has had pelters from his own supporters at some time or another this season, and we're at the point where playing in goal for Hibs is a totally thankless task. If our goalies make a mistake - any mistake, and they're subjected to vitriolic abuse from one section of the support or another.

It does no good if afterwards people come on here and say, "Oh, well, now that I've seen the replay..." The damage has been done at the stadium, during the match. Why would any goalkeeper WANT to play for Hibs, other than to draw a wage and earn a move elsewhere? Away from the Hibs "fans"?

I would suggest that NOT ONE of the three first-team goalies has deserved the bile that some people have spewed at them this season, not Maka, not Stack, not Smith. Any one of them is a more than adequate SPL keeper.

(The same could be said about a number of outfield players, too - how often have we seen threads or posts starting "***** GTF" or "***** is s***e" or similar this season? Too often.)

I'm as frustrated and depressed and angry about the present situation as anyone, but what gets me really depressed and annoyed is the abuse (not the reasoned criticism, the abuse) that we direct against our own team. It's always been around at ER, but right now it's rampant. Most of it's just nasty. Some of it's racist, against Maka, Bamba, and the Moroccans. Probably Thicot, too.

Truth is, ER's no fun right now, and poor results are only part of the reason.

I can only speak for myself and not tens of thousands of people.

Saturday I gave Smith a bit of personal abuse i.e Smith you ****ing banker, and telling him to just get tae france. Was harsh but thats how I reacted, not justifying it and quite frankly dont think I need to either.

Usually im just moaning at them i.e for **** sake Nish when he falls on his erse yet again. Or **** sake Rankin at yet another misplaced pass

Its a wierd one though because at times I notice how moany our fans are and think **** sake gie them a break, yet at other times I lose the rag myself, there is nowt anyone is gonna do differently, cannae see folk going to anger management classes just so they dont give Nishy some flak on a Saturday.

I dont remeber too many of Mcleish or Mowbrays team getting personal abuse but I remember Williamsons and Mixus getting it tight, maybe when people become disillusioned they just reach breaking point

I suggest the next step for these people is to just jack it in all together as they are so peeved at things, maybe we should be more worried about that and give them a wee bit credit for still putting their money into the club even though they are well p! ssed off.

--------
04-05-2010, 09:39 AM
Its a wierd one though because at times I notice how moany our fans are and think **** sake gie them a break, yet at other times I lose the rag myself, there is nowt anyone is gonna do differently, cannae see folk going to anger management classes just so they dont give Nishy some flak on a Saturday.

[B]I know - that's exactly how I feel.

It seems to have built up since Mowbray left, and at times it's just OTT, to my mind. I suspect that only a winning team will change it, though.

Leith Green
04-05-2010, 09:45 AM
[B]I know - that's exactly how I feel.

It seems to have built up since Mowbray left, and at times it's just OTT, to my mind. I suspect that only a winning team will change it, though.

Yeah true..

To be fair I thimk every team will always have a fall guy, for instance Lovell under Mcleish etc, however when it becomes 8 or 9 fall guys then either summit is wrong with the team , the players, or both!!

Feed McGraw
04-05-2010, 07:24 PM
At 54, I`ve had many,many, disappointments over the years with Hibs and enjoyed our limited successes, but mainly just loved going to see them and meeting up with friends and family and enjoying, for a fairly good part of it, some really good football.

I should therefore, be able to just put this season down as just another of the disappointing ones`, but I can`t , I`m immersed in apathy about Hibs and Scottish football in general . There`s something more wrong about this season and I know a lot of Hibbies` are feeling this way. Yogi doesn`t help, he was at it again today " The last FEW games have been disappointing ".

Sorry, talk about digressing, my point in relation to this thread is those sickening scenes at the end of the match involving Graeme Smith, on top of the doom and gloom around ER ,really made me think about staying away from football altogether. I was disgusted and ashamed that Hibs fans would treat one of our players like that,as a previous poster said, he was visibly shocked and distressed . It was crueller than the "usual" abuse players get IMO.

I have already renewed my ST, so of course I`ll be back, but not happy at all just now and really hoping we don`t see scenes like that again.

Judas Iscariot
05-05-2010, 08:57 PM
Whatever was said to this useless **** on Saturday was shown to be totally deserved tonight..

****ing useless, ginger, squeeky voiced, yam supporting, ex Motherwell prick..

He should never EVER get near a Hibs shirt again..

Inept WELT!!

mikey1875
05-05-2010, 10:35 PM
Bad performance tonight but the "Worst Keeper" ever is going a bit far

I would agree with the statement minus Murray the defence is the worst I’ve ever seen and having watched Colin Murdoch that’s saying something

Come on Smithy! :scarf:

MountcastleHibs
05-05-2010, 10:39 PM
Not the worst keeper we've ever had, but he was at fault for 3 goals, and nearly cost us with the penalty. In the end, a piece sheer class, got them a point, although they shouldn't have been in that position.

Judas Iscariot
06-05-2010, 06:14 AM
Bring back Zibby

M8UDB
06-05-2010, 06:29 AM
He should never wear the jersey again IMO, didnt think the abuse on Saturday was fair until i watched the highlights and then again last night he was absolutely *****e - just what is it with us and keepers :confused: