PDA

View Full Version : Reflections on the season

Bayern Bru
03-05-2010, 01:35 AM
Perhaps it's a bit premature to be doing this, but as there's a good chance I'll miss the final two games due to exam commitments :boo hoo: now's as good a time as any. I've managed to get along to a lot of games this season, both league and cup, despite being a final year student. I've seen Hibs at their best (5-1 v Hamilton, Jan 23rd) and their absolute worst (1-5 v St J, Feb 17th).

Looking back on the season, I don't think anyone could disagree that we began the season very well. Admittedly there was a lot of luck involved; a number of last minute winners or equaliser, and getting the rub of the green meant that we were probably punching above realistic expectations for this season. I can't remember if Hughes set a particular benchmark for this season but generally I would say that Hibs should be making an appearance in Europe each season, and not out of the top 4 teams in the league. The gap between the Old Firm and the rest of the SPL is clearly narrowing (big wins by St Mirren and St Johnstone over both sides of the Old Firm go some way to explaining just how much the gap is closing) and Hibs should be able to capitalise on this, with the right planning for the future etc.

I think a combination of injuries, bad luck, and a subsequent loss of confidence was the beginning of the downfall. Bamba's absence and less-than-spectacular return from the ACN was a big blow to the club. The injuries suffered by McBride and Zemmama undoubtedly contributed to the team becoming unsettled. I also think the lack of a discernible first choice goalkeeper unsettled the rest of the team, and big players underperforming had a negative effect.

Hughes alleged that Smith was displaced after the 5-1 reversal in Perth, to allow Stack to play which would gee up Bamba. This is just one example of many statements or comments to have come from Hughes that made me wonder what, if anything, he was trying to hide. (Under Collins, the player revolt was made very public, and part of me wonders if there's a similar thing happening at East Mains with Yogi but the players have learnt from the last time and are keeping quiet about it). Add that to the near-constant stream of rumours about the off-field antics of a few of our players. We as the fans were seeing a team that had gone from playing really well together and consistently, to a team that showed little if any team spirit or desire to kick the run of bad form. Even the one recent bright spot, the 3-1 win away to Falkirk was a lucky result due to bad defending and bad luck from them and in all honesty, we as the fans should all have realized that. Yes, there have been signs of improvement, but some of the bad parts are remaining, like the apparent lack of team spirit and a questionable attitude. I was disappointed, and frustrated and angry on Saturday. I've never watched a derby between any two rivals (and I'm talking the Manchester derby, the Merseyside derby etc.) with one side showing such a lethargic display. It was insulting to see that Saturday didn't seem to mean much to some of the players.

I think we can all understand that Yogi isn't playing the team he wants to. I'm sure he has an idea of who he wants to bring in. A lot of people lambast him for signing a goalkeeper and an attacker in January and not a right back. He tried to sign Darren Barr and Michael Hart, and was unsuccessful. That's football. Assuming that Petrie is allowing Hughes to build the team he wants, then you sign who you can, when you can. I think we'll see a lot of comings and going this summer. I don't want to speculate on who, but I'm sure we all know who we think or would like to see leaving Easter Road. People question Yogi's tactical awareness, and admittedly he doesn't always make subs when the fans think he should, or he brings on players that we don't want to see being brought on. He can't win because if he doesn't make subs then he's criticised, and he's also criticised for the subs he makes. It's an age-old comment, but Yogi needs time to build his team. It's the same in a lot of jobs; you need time to come good. No-one here would expect to walk into a job on the Monday and be perfect at it on the Friday. Everything is a learning curve.

I try to support the team no matter what, but they've made it very difficult recently. Colin Nish's antics involving criticising the Hibs fans in the press, shouting at us and flicking us the Vs at Hamilton aren't helping either. I've never been John Rankin's biggest fan but to his credit he always gives 100% and gets on with it. He doesn't stop to have a wee greet at the fans, he just gets on with it. There's always a debate about whether or not we have the right as paying customers to vent at the players. I say that it's perfectly acceptable if they're not pulling their weight, and I think there are a lot of players at Easter Road in this category. Whether the attitude of some players is because they know they're going to be released or moving on, I don't know. But they'd do well to take a leaf out of Scott Brown's book, and give full effort until the last game they play for Hibs.

To conclude this 'reflection,' I suppose what I would encourage my fellow supporters to do would be to give Hughes a chance this summer. Give him a chance to build the backbone of John Hughes' Hibernian, and not the remains of the three previous managers' Hibernian teams. It's not been the best of seasons but if we look back at it, we've not done any worse than last season, and whilst that may change, we need to recognise that we can't expect instant success at Easter Road. As I said, we were punching well above our weight at the beginning of the season and then crumbled. I dread to think what the attitude and atmosphere would be like if we were in a relegation battle. In the grand scheme of things, Hibernian are very well off in terms of football clubs. We're set for the long term and Petrie has to be admired for the way he's stabilised Hibs. We've nearly got a modern, impressive stadium. Our debt situation is far, far better than it could be and we're in a wonderful position compared to most of the other SPL teams. I wouldn't describe myself as a happy clapper or a doom and gloomer. I'd call myself a realist. I've been watching Hibs for the best part of my relatively short time on this planet. I've seen them in Europe, I've seen them relegated, I've seen them win a cup and I've seen them lose a cup final when they should have walked it. I've seen Hibs at their best and I've seen them at their absolute worst. I know what Hibs are like, but who here can say they support Hibs for the glory, or the good times? We all support Hibernian for a variety of reasons; family, history, chance, decision, default etc. and it's heartbreaking to watch the team play as poorly as they have, and it's heartbreaking to feel that the players don't know what it means to us fans.

Whether we get into Europe or not, whether we finish 4th, 5th or 6th, I'd urge everyone to keep their chin up and keep the faith. Give Hughes the time he needs to build the team he wants. If after he's been given that chance, it isn't working, then that is the time to question his ability to lead our famous club. But for now, he needs that opportunity and thought it might seem impossible, we as the fans need to bite our tongue and try and get behind him, and stay positive. I don't want older posters coming on here telling me that I've not seen Hibs at their worst etc and I should have watched them during a particular time under a particular manager, and I don't know what I'm talking about because that'll achieve nothing. I'm talking within my lifetime, not yours. I'm as frustrated as a lot of people at the way the team have been playing recently, but I can recognise the need and the sense in giving it time to work. There were promising signs at the beginning of the season; hopefully we will continue to build on those signs and play like that week in week out, consistently.

GGTTH.

FastEddieFelson
03-05-2010, 02:09 AM
great post.

the form we've been in recently is as bad as I can ever remember, we are just so consistently bad at the minute. the annoying thing is, we have quite a decent squad of players, but something just isn't right with the team. it's as if the players are suffering from a complete lack of confidence and faith in each other's abilities.

first half of the season had some great moments. quality performances against motherwell (2-0) and hamilton (5-1). but michael stewart was bang on when he said that we'd been lucky throughout the beginning of the season, i'm just surprised it took until the end of december for us to get found out. we're certainly suffering for it now.

saturday's result was definitely up there with the sorest defeats to stomach. sharing the south stand with the away fans was always going to make a game either much better or exceedingly worse when it came to the derby and old firm games, and what have we had to suffer? the huns winning the league and hearts gifted a last minute winner.

some of yogi's decisions have been absolutely baffling. I fully imagine that had smith not been dropped after his run of games, he wouldn't have made those two mistakes yesterday. signing mark brown? I understand it's nice to have backup, but seriously, he must be at the higher end of the wage scale, and for what? has he yet made the bench? how can you justify making that type of signing when we don't actually have a right back?

the team needs a serious shake up, and I personally think yogi has to go. replace him with who? no idea. we could bring back john collins, seeing as we're apparently able to pay decent enough wages these days.

hearts have two home games against two teams with nothing to play for, we'll lose at motherwell and united, perfectly capping off the end to an essentially terrible season. i'll no doubt be labelled a 'doom and gloomer' for this realistic view, but how anyone can expect us to take anything from these last two games is beyond me.

highlights of the season: stoke's goal against the huns at ibrox, galbraith's winner against celtic.

lowlights: yesterday, ross county, generally being utterly pish since 12:00:12pm on december 27th.

vahibbie
03-05-2010, 03:02 AM
No offence but it's a bit long winded just to say basically give Yogi more time.

I would say we started very well and as you point out we had more than a bit luck during our good spell. Since the turn of the year....pretty much total *****e and mostly JH's fault. If Rod gives him more time so be it but it must be getting to be a close decision.

Iain G
03-05-2010, 03:02 AM
but michael stewart was bang on when he said that we'd been lucky throughout the beginning of the season, i'm just surprised it took until the end of december for us to get found out. we're certainly suffering for it now.

Or did teams just get the measure of us by then and work out how to play against the system we were playing, which has not been helped by John Hughes and his inability/stuborness to change the way the team is set up.

I hope for a mass clear out in the summer, I don't expect it will happen however...

Bayern Bru
03-05-2010, 03:23 AM
No offence but it's a bit long winded just to say basically give Yogi more time.

I would say we started very well and as you point out we had more than a bit luck during our good spell. Since the turn of the year....pretty much total *****e and mostly JH's fault. If Rod gives him more time so be it but it must be getting to be a close decision.

None taken whatsoever, although that's not the main point behind this post.

I mentioned that I think he needs more time but I also talk about/mentioned Hibernian as a football club, player attitude, team spirit (or lack thereof), the attitude of some of the players, the 'off-field' antics of some players, why we developed such a run of bad form, the financial situation and how the gap between the OF and the rest is narrowing and what I see as Yogi's weaknesses (or some of them at least). I just didn't want to be yet another poster calling for Hughes' head.

FWIW, I wonder how much of it is Hughes' fault. These are mostly the same players who went out in January and demolished Hamilton, and the same players who went out a month later and were torn apart by St Johnstone. It's perhaps understandable to wonder if he's losing the ability to coach the team to its potential but I can't understand how the same players can be turning in the performances they are now compared to the beginning of the season.

Or did teams just get the measure of us by then and work out how to play against the system we were playing, which has not been helped by John Hughes and his inability/stuborness to change the way the team is set up.

I hope for a mass clear out in the summer, I don't expect it will happen however...

I believe that had a part to play. If you study Hearts on Saturday, they launched attack after attack down our left side because they'd spotted it as a weak link (Riordan doesn't always track back and often Murray has to cover for other defenders/midfielders). Managers in the SPL aren't stupid. Sproule was found out after a while and became less effective for example.

I'm hopeful that there will be a mass clear out. There are a lot of players who aren't, to quote a popular but in this case accurate expression, 'Hibs class.' I hope Yogi might have been persisting with some players because they're the best of what he's got but when he has the chance he'll bring in better, more effective players with ability, confidence and a greater sense of team spirit.

Let's hope so anyway.

Iain G
03-05-2010, 03:44 AM
None taken whatsoever, although that's not the main point behind this post.

I mentioned that I think he needs more time but I also talk about/mentioned Hibernian as a football club, player attitude, team spirit (or lack thereof), the attitude of some of the players, the 'off-field' antics of some players, why we developed such a run of bad form, the financial situation and how the gap between the OF and the rest is narrowing and what I see as Yogi's weaknesses (or some of them at least). I just didn't want to be yet another poster calling for Hughes' head.

FWIW, I wonder how much of it is Hughes' fault. These are mostly the same players who went out in January and demolished Hamilton, and the same players who went out a month later and were torn apart by St Johnstone. It's perhaps understandable to wonder if he's losing the ability to coach the team to its potential but I can't understand how the same players can be turning in the performances they are now compared to the beginning of the season.

I believe that had a part to play. If you study Hearts on Saturday, they launched attack after attack down our left side because they'd spotted it as a weak link (Riordan doesn't always track back and often Murray has to cover for other defenders/midfielders). Managers in the SPL aren't stupid. Sproule was found out after a while and became less effective for example.

I'm hopeful that there will be a mass clear out. There are a lot of players who aren't, to quote a popular but in this case accurate expression, 'Hibs class.' I hope Yogi might have been persisting with some players because they're the best of what he's got but when he has the chance he'll bring in better, more effective players with ability, confidence and a greater sense of team spirit.

Let's hope so anyway.

There is the nucleus of a good team in our present squad, just a lot of them have lost their way or just don't have the ability to motivate themselves (or be motivated by others?) to play in the way they need to. Was again generally impressed with Hanlon at centre back, now if he only had some other decent defenders around him, and we need Murray in the engine room of that midfield not at left back, especially when McBride is out injured.

I know it goes against Yogi's signing policy, but I do think we need an older head or two in that team to keep spirits up on the pitch, to keep cajoling and having a quiet word in the ear of the younger players, and to keep them fighting.

What we need is a Sauzee like character out there to pull the team up and lead by example when we need it. We lack leadership and resilience and a bit of fight.