PDA

View Full Version : does anyone REALLY want into europe?

CraigHibee
02-05-2010, 08:52 PM
may seem like a daft question but....

based on the performances of us after new year we have been shambolic at times.

some folk are moaning saying we wont get into europe!

being honest.. ill breath a sigh of relief if we do not make europe as we will probably be taken apart by whoever we get!

anyone else think this?

Jonnyboy
02-05-2010, 08:54 PM

being honest.. ill breath a sigh of relief if we do not make europe as we will probably be taken apart by whoever we get!

anyone else think this?

Not me

Andy74
02-05-2010, 08:57 PM

being honest.. ill breath a sigh of relief if we do not make europe as we will probably be taken apart by whoever we get!L

anyone else think this?
Pathetic.

Hainan Hibs
02-05-2010, 08:57 PM
I remember back to the game against AEK and would love to have a game like that.

Then reality comes in.

Whoever we get will no doubt be far far far far fitter and more technical than us and will proceed in ripping us a new one and a half.

Do I want Europe? Aye, but dinnae have much hope with the state of our team/Scottish football

oconnors_strip
02-05-2010, 09:00 PM
i dont and think some players dont want to either, means less summer holidays for them and hard work before the season even starts.

get this season finished, have a few weeks off, get the transfers in and out and build for the spl next season.

erskine-hibby
02-05-2010, 09:02 PM
Of course I want us to be in Europe, but I'd rather go there with a different manager and players, because if we do go there with the ones we have it will be an utter shambles.

iwasthere1972
02-05-2010, 09:04 PM

anyone else think this?

Would never say no to qualifying for Europe and no exception this time.

Even if it's only to get one up on the Yams who are all probably viewing a map of Europe and getting their suntan lotion ready. :jamboak:

Europe? Always.

Removed
02-05-2010, 09:08 PM

anyone else think this?

Do I want Europe .............Yes

Is it a daft question ...........Yes

Danderhall Hibs
02-05-2010, 09:13 PM
I only want 4th place Europe. 5th place Europe is just the Intertoto when all the players have to start training again in June so play against Hutchie Vale, Porty Thistle, Llanelli and the likes before the World Cup's even finished.

Vini1875
02-05-2010, 09:21 PM
Of course it is a yes to Europe. Do I think we will do anything once there not really, but it should be what we are aiming at achieving each year at the very least. In order to for Hibs to truly progress as a club Europe should be on the cards each year as it would allow us to get better players to the club and continue an upward spiral (where have I heard that before).

Toaods
02-05-2010, 09:24 PM
i dont and think some players dont want to either, means less summer holidays for them and hard work before the season even starts.

get this season finished, have a few weeks off, get the transfers in and out and build for the spl next season.

a few weeks off?? 2/3rds of them should be getting next season off.

Sir David Gray
02-05-2010, 09:24 PM
I only want 4th place Europe. 5th place Europe is just the Intertoto when all the players have to start training again in June so play against Hutchie Vale, Porty Thistle, Llanelli and the likes before the World Cup's even finished.

The round that you enter for finishing 4th is supposed to be the "Intertoto" round, as you put it.

If Ross County win the cup and 5th place doesn't get in Europe then the 4th placed team will enter at the stage that we are all saying the 5th placed side will enter at.

mim
02-05-2010, 09:36 PM
I wonder if the Fulham fans had a poll on this at the end of last season. :wink:

Danderhall Hibs
02-05-2010, 09:39 PM
I wonder if the Fulham fans had a poll on this at the end of last season. :wink:

I know what you're getting at Mike but in all seriousness they probably did! The EPL is the be all and end all for most clubs down there and I bet they would've had concerns about Europe "getting in the way".

hibsbollah
02-05-2010, 09:49 PM
Ive never been abroad to see Hibs play...The answer is a definite yes.

One Day Soon
02-05-2010, 09:55 PM
Its hard to see how it can be a bad thing. Though an early season humiliation from a bunch of Arctic fishermen or whatever would NOT be a confidence building exercise.

Diclonius
02-05-2010, 10:06 PM
Hey, at least we can settle the score with Elfsborg. :greengrin

Alfred E Newman
02-05-2010, 10:08 PM
When I was a teenager, watching Hibs in Europe was more or less an annual event unlike Hearts who only had occasional trips into Europe.
Most of my best memories from ER are from the European nights. Games against Valencia, Juventus, Napoli, the great Leeds and Liverpool sides, Hamburg, Sporting Lisbon to name just a few. We didn`t always win and there were quite a few bad results but they were always tremenous occasions in front of bigger than normal crowds.
Since our demise in the late seventies I have yearned for a return to regular involment in Europe but as supporters we have been starved of success while having to suffer watching the likes of Hearts ,Aberdeen, Dundee Unt, Motherwell and even Raith and Q o S compete .
The Athens game that so many younger fans on here rave about is really the only big European night we have had in the past 30 years, and that is nothing short of disgraceful.
So yes, I want to see Hibs qualify even if it is through the back door in the hope that those younger supporters can have some memories to take to the grave like I have though I do agree that , give the present squad, it is likely any involment would be brief.

yekimevol
02-05-2010, 10:40 PM
reasonable question after what has happened to Scottish teams when they have went into the uefa/ europa league as of late. do i think at this moment in time we would be good for Scotland as a representative. No i believe the Motherwell and Dundee united are as we cannot play the game just now and I’m not positive but i believe we have one of the worst if not the worst record in the spl since Christmas. But ask yourself this my friends, if fifth place was to get a europa league place would you want our neighbours to have European football and not us ? My reply over my dead body.

what must happen ?
Yogi / new manager must analyse the squad and add what is needed. Not the players that are the best out there but the best for the positions we need (i.e. miller, mcbride, gregg, gow these are reasonable signings but we had versions of these players already, not saying they were as good but we needed full backs, center backs, physical presence in the midfield and a target man).

If the game is not working out we must have a plan B !
(many times this season a player has not been on his game and has not been subbed or the system has not worked now all yogi normally does is either remove nish or bring him on / removed a center back and go with 3 at the back. There must be a point where he does make changes and I have not seen this.

At the moment the experienced players seem to get the heads up over the youngsters e.g.. hanlon has been removed to put bamba/hogg back in when he was playing ok. Or when a player goes off the boil give someone a chance we have youngster at the club in waiting byrne, galbraith, taggert and currie but yogi will not give them a chance he must if we are to use the squad that we have to succeed at anything not stick with the same group who at the moment are not providing the goods !