PDA

View Full Version : Mindsets can't be changed

noseyhibby
02-05-2010, 04:27 PM
You either have the right mentality, resolve, and fight within you or you don't. No amount of coaching will change a softy into a toughy.
I'm sick and tired of Yogi trying to convince us all that he will somehow change the current collective mind set of the players.
I will however concede that tactically and to a limited degree, technically, players can improve their game. Working on this aspect of each individuals game is all very well, but if the individual has a marshmallow inside, it's futile.
The collective capitulation these past months clearly indicates we have a bunch of losers and mental weaklings. Get rid of the sheep and bring in a few lions, leaders in all 3 areas of the park. Are you listening Yogi:grr:

seanraff07
02-05-2010, 04:28 PM
You either have the right mentality, resolve, and fight within you or you don't. No amount of coaching will change a softy into a toughy.
I'm sick and tired of Yogi trying to convince us all that he will somehow change the current collective mind set of the players.
I will however concede that tactically and to a limited degree, technically, players can improve their game. Working on this aspect of each individuals game is all very well, but if the individual has a marshmallow inside, it's futile.
The collective capitulation these past months clearly indicates we have a bunch of losers and mental weaklings. Get rid of the sheep and bring in a few lions, leaders in all 3 areas of the park. Are you listening Yogi:grr:

:agree:

Phil D. Rolls
02-05-2010, 04:33 PM

You study a lot of psychology then? It's just that I can think of a few dud teams that have been improved by psychological input - most particularly Notts Forest under Clough.

That said, Yogi is no Clough.

Gatecrasher
02-05-2010, 04:38 PM
i believe they can

PISTOL1875
02-05-2010, 04:39 PM

Its not the mindset of the players , its the mindset of the manager you need to change.. Facts are that its Yogi's way or the high way... He will do nothing to change HIS way of playing to prove the point that his way is best..

An example of this was the 3-1 victory against Falkirk the other month.. We are 2 goals up , the game is over but instead of taking off the forward thinking players and shoring the game up , Hughes starts thinking with his a*se and then wanted to beat them 4-1 , even 5-1 or maybe even 6-1.. Falkirk controlled the remaining 15-20 minutes with us being camped in our own half but Hughes still persisted playing with 3 forwards on the park...

If you look at Walter Smith last week.. Rangers got the goal they needed and promptly parked the team bus infront of the Hibs midfield.. The game was seen out and Rangers came away with the 1-0 win and the 3 points they needed......

Until Hughes learns that its not all about trying to go out and thump teams every week , HIbs are gonna be in bother and results could go against us...

noseyhibby
02-05-2010, 04:47 PM
Its not the mindset of the players , its the mindset of the manager you need to change.. Facts are that its Yogi's way or the high way... He will do nothing to change HIS way of playing to prove the point that his way is best..

An example of this was the 3-1 victory against Falkirk the other month.. We are 2 goals up , the game is over but instead of taking off the forward thinking players and shoring the game up , Hughes starts thinking with his a*se and then wanted to beat them 4-1 , even 5-1 or maybe even 6-1.. Falkirk controlled the remaining 15-20 minutes with us being camped in our own half but Hughes still persisted playing with 3 forwards on the park...

If you look at Walter Smith last week.. Rangers got the goal they needed and promptly parked the team bus infront of the Hibs midfield.. The game was seen out and Rangers came away with the 1-0 win and the 3 points they needed......

Until Hughes learns that its not all about trying to go out and thump teams every week , HIbs are gonna be in bother and results could go against us...

Good points, but the Rangers game was more to do with tactics. Getting tactics right is only part of it, as I alluded to in my post. Without the resolve or fight it's futile. Yogi will not change the mindset of any individual. Whilst I'm here: I really do think that he is considered a bit of a clown by the players.

houston1875
02-05-2010, 05:14 PM

when will he learn it tho??? when will it get thru!! shoulda done it after going a goal up yesterday!!

does his assistant no see it either..heh boss i think we need to change things?

PISTOL1875
02-05-2010, 06:22 PM
when will he learn it tho??? when will it get thru!! shoulda done it after going a goal up yesterday!!

does his assistant no see it either..heh boss i think we need to change things?

He will never learn.. The bold line is exactly what I mean.. We go a goal up against Hertz but instead of shutting up shop , the temptation of trying to push on and thump them was too much to refuse...

Hibercelona
02-05-2010, 06:26 PM
Mindsets can be changed.

But Yogi doesn't have the ability to do this.

PISTOL1875
02-05-2010, 06:28 PM
Mindsets can be changed.

But Yogi doesn't have the ability to do this.

Correct.. You will never win with Yogi.. He's exactly the same as Mixu.. He's set in his ways and nothing will change it...

emmjayfox
02-05-2010, 06:33 PM
Guaranteed if he had tried to defend the lead and still lost 2-1 fans wouldve been saying Hearts are the worst they have been for 3000 years and we shouldve kept attacking.

Fans can be very fickle at times. :rolleyes:

MSK
02-05-2010, 06:34 PM
He will never learn.. The bold line is exactly what I mean.. We go a goal up against Hertz but instead of shutting up shop , the temptation of trying to push on and thump them was too much to refuse...Why the **** should we shut up shop !! we are at home ffs ..we are playing against a team who are imo.. gantin ..we go a goal up we should be looking to explore their weaknesses & grab a second ...nah ..no hibs, lie over & get oor belly's tickled ...perhaps we should get Gary the "Motivator" Locke to kick some ass...

Dashing Bob S
02-05-2010, 06:42 PM
I think most people in football as in life, are fairly environmental; they will go along with whatever the prevailing ethos in their organisation is. I think Hibs have players who will 'man up' if circumstances are right, but what is required are a couple of hard-hearted, disciplined characters who never give up at any cost, and will give encouragement to others. In the first half of the season, before injury wrecked it, Kevin McBride typified this attitude. He made himself available for passes, harried opposition forwards, protected his defence and linked up with Miller and Zemmama. We have too few players like this, who will be busy, and play with intelligence, discipline and aggression.

We can't rely on one man, particularly a small one, to play this role for 38 games a season, on heavy, threadbare pitches after Christmas, with SPL butchers snapping at his legs.

We need at least two or three bigger, harder men, and they will allow our flair players to thrive and turn over teams like we did at the start of the season.

When Bamba was settled in centre half, and with McBride behind him, and (I'm going to get it for this) we had a big, commanding keeper in the form of Maka (despite the odd costly gaffe) we got away with having an erratic centre back in Hogg, no full-back (Wotherspoon was yet to be sussed out as NOT a defender) to the extent that we had the best defensive record in the league.

That flimsy foundation crumbled when we missed those two players.

We need to build form the back and the middle - two strong midfielders and two defenders in the transfer window, and unloading some members of the squad who aren't up to it will make things a lot better.

PISTOL1875
02-05-2010, 06:50 PM
Why the **** should we shut up shop !! we are at home ffs ..we are playing against a team who are imo.. gantin ..we go a goal up we should be looking to explore their weaknesses & grab a second ...nah ..no hibs, lie over & get oor belly's tickled ...perhaps we should get Gary the "Motivator" Locke to kick some ass...

Why not ?? Football isnt about going out and entertaining every week.. IF we had won 1-0 yesterday with a backs to the wall performance then nobody would give a flying one...

MSK
02-05-2010, 06:54 PM
Why not ?? Football isnt about going out and entertaining every week.. IF we had won 1-0 yesterday with a backs to the wall performance then nobody would give a flying one...If you have watched us in recent weeks & again yest then you will know we dont have the personell to defend a lead ..we do though have enough up front to punish teams ..our weakness yest could have been our strength ..naw ..?

Phil D. Rolls
02-05-2010, 06:56 PM
If you have watched us in recent weeks & again yest then you will know we dont have the personell to defend a lead ..we do though have enough up front to punish teams ..our weakness yest could have been our strength ..naw ..?

You'd have thought the fact that the other team had to win and would push forward could have been exploited, by quick counter attacks.

houston1875
02-05-2010, 06:59 PM
Why the **** should we shut up shop !! we are at home ffs ..we are playing against a team who are imo.. gantin ..we go a goal up we should be looking to explore their weaknesses & grab a second ...nah ..no hibs, lie over & get oor belly's tickled ...perhaps we should get Gary the "Motivator" Locke to kick some ass...

are we better than arsenal per se dont they normally take a lead in a game then bring on a def mid for attacker,then run the clock down,unless they are chasing a game?

we arent a defensive team yes.cant defend a lead,surely we can put 10 men behind the ball? play the ball over the def,hit em on the break etc,in a derby a wins a win no? no matter how it comes,we cant play the game the way it should be played all the time,who knows its chuffin frustrating???

ps they are GANTIN!!!

Cropley10
02-05-2010, 07:14 PM
Yogi is no Clough.

You reckon? :devil:

Phil D. Rolls
02-05-2010, 07:19 PM
You reckon? :devil:

Don't ask me young man. :dunno:

Bostonhibby
02-05-2010, 09:17 PM

:agree: Great post - can you imagine this shower with someone like Erich Schaedler in the team - we need a genuine leader and defenders who can defend. One or two aside I just dont see the desire or the fitness there............sorry bunch on Saturday.

Bostonhibby
02-05-2010, 09:23 PM
If you have watched us in recent weeks & again yest then you will know we dont have the personell to defend a lead ..we do though have enough up front to punish teams ..our weakness yest could have been our strength ..naw ..?

I agree, and I am pretty sure the manager watches as well, so maybe he will notice and do something about it? Always assuming we do get a lead to try and defend again :pray:

noseyhibby
02-05-2010, 10:06 PM
:agree: Great post - can you imagine this shower with someone like Erich Schaedler in the team - we need a genuine leader and defenders who can defend. One or two aside I just dont see the desire or the fitness there............sorry bunch on Saturday.

Ah. Erich Schaedler. Oh to have one his kind again. A blackley wouldn't go amiss either.:boo hoo:

Atalanta
02-05-2010, 10:14 PM
I agree that there are a lot of marshmallow heads on the pitch and something even softer than marshmallow standing by the dugout.

Iain G
03-05-2010, 03:56 AM
Ah. Erich Schaedler. Oh to have one his kind again. A blackley wouldn't go amiss either.:boo hoo:

Would a David Murphy and a Franck Sauzee do instead? :agree:

KWJ
03-05-2010, 06:19 AM
I think most people in football as in life, are fairly environmental; they will go along with whatever the prevailing ethos in their organisation is. I think Hibs have players who will 'man up' if circumstances are right, but what is required are a couple of hard-hearted, disciplined characters who never give up at any cost, and will give encouragement to others. In the first half of the season, before injury wrecked it, Kevin McBride typified this attitude. He made himself available for passes, harried opposition forwards, protected his defence and linked up with Miller and Zemmama. We have too few players like this, who will be busy, and play with intelligence, discipline and aggression.

We can't rely on one man, particularly a small one, to play this role for 38 games a season, on heavy, threadbare pitches after Christmas, with SPL butchers snapping at his legs.

We need at least two or three bigger, harder men, and they will allow our flair players to thrive and turn over teams like we did at the start of the season.

When Bamba was settled in centre half, and with McBride behind him, and (I'm going to get it for this) we had a big, commanding keeper in the form of Maka (despite the odd costly gaffe) we got away with having an erratic centre back in Hogg, no full-back (Wotherspoon was yet to be sussed out as NOT a defender) to the extent that we had the best defensive record in the league.

That flimsy foundation crumbled when we missed those two players.

We need to build form the back and the middle - two strong midfielders and two defenders in the transfer window, and unloading some members of the squad who aren't up to it will make things a lot better.

We certainly miss the consistency of starting 11 and I agree about building from the back. I found it surprising that you said Hogg is the erratic player in a defensive spine of himself, Bamba & Maka. It's all 3 of them which is simply too risky over the season.

I'd like to see one of Stack, Brown or Smith get a regular run with Thicot and Hanlon ahead of them.

I think we should be building the defence around Hanlon who is impressing me more with every game and looks to be the finest centre half we've produced in a long, long time.

I think Ian Murray showed he's losing the legs a little bit for left back and it's always been a bit of a waste having or most influential player out there. Lets get him back in the centre of midfield to provide that dig and he can also play as good a pass as McBride, Cregg or Rankin. Thicot/Hanlon out he can drop back.

This would require either Booth/Currie making the step up or us bringing in another left back.

I'm assuming Bamba will be moved on in the summer for a 6 figure sum.