PDA

View Full Version : Our signing policy has to change

Cameron1875
02-05-2010, 12:36 PM
I have stated this argument with my mates over an over again.

We cannot keep buying players from diddy teams that are much lower than us in the league.
It has been proved many times that when we do that we only end up playing at the level these guys are used to playing at. they have attitudes that think top 6 is good enough and its no big deal not playing in europe.

Examples: rankin, nish, cregg, smith, canning, van zanten.

Unless they are stand outs at their clubs then they should not be bought.
If we are to buy players from wee clubs then it has to be:

St Mirren: Dorman
Hamilton: Mcarthur
St johnstone: Davidson
Falkirk: Arfield.

And for the love of god i hope the days of hibs scratching around for goalies on free transfers is over as it just does not work.

you only get what you pay for so i really hope yogi is planning to ditch signing spl basement club players and look at getting players near the standard of stokes, riordan, bamba etc

fife hfc
02-05-2010, 12:55 PM

We cannot keep buying players from diddy teams that are much lower than us in the league.
It has been proved many times that when we do that we only end up playing at the level these guys are used to playing at. they have attitudes that think top 6 is good enough and its no big deal not playing in europe.

And for the love of god i hope the days of hibs scratching around for goalies on free transfers is over as it just does not work.

you only get what you pay for so i really hope yogi is planning to ditch signing spl basement club players and look at getting players near the standard of stokes, riordan, bamba etc

You contradict yourself and are basically spouting pish. It does not matter where the player comes from, take Gomis, Swanson at Utd and Bamba and previously Sproule for us. Not from big clubs but are more than capable players. There are plenty players at your so called diddy teams that could do a job for us and it is the job of our scouts to identify them which maybe they are failing at.

As for canning I think he is a decent defender certainly better than Hogg, as he is proving at hamilton. he certainly would do a good job for us now. As for Rankin he is the type of player that is needed to compliment our supposed ball players and has recently been one of our better players.

Pretty Boy
02-05-2010, 01:27 PM

Would that be the same Bamba who was signed from high flying Dunfermilne?

Complete contradictions throughout this post.

Cameron1875
02-05-2010, 01:31 PM
Would that be the same Bamba who was signed from high flying Dunfermilne?

Complete contradictions throughout this post.

obviously not read the bit in bold.

Pretty Boy
02-05-2010, 01:44 PM
obviously not read the bit in bold.

Was Bamba a standout at Dunfermilne??

Not that i'm aware of. In fact i remeber quite a bit of hilarity on Radio Scotland when we signed him as well as more than a few on here calling him a 'bombscare'.

Still facts and a good story and all that eh?

sesoim
02-05-2010, 01:50 PM
Levein signed loads of players from diddy teams and were none of them good enough? Fair enough a few years ago when Mowbray was constantly having to sign unproven players on low wages (yet still finding gems), but Hughes has been allowed to sign bigger budget players and has ultimately failed to take us forward.

Phil D. Rolls
02-05-2010, 03:03 PM

See, I remember us buying Arthur Duncan from Partick Thistle, and Des Bremner from Deveronvale to name a couple off the top of my head.

That lad Levein that the Yams got from Cooden, and another bloke called Webster from Arbroath did OK as well. Then there's that fellow from Limavady Institute, Sproule, well he didn't do too badly either.

None of those guys had a wee team attitude. There are gems to be found in the lower leagues, so until we can find the cash to buy Sneijder off Milan or Messi from Barca, I think we'll just have to make do.

essexhibee
02-05-2010, 03:22 PM
I dont agree with the OP. Look at this season, Petrie loosend the strings on bringing in players, ie Stokes. Undisclosed fee but could be around 500,000 which is a lot for hibs. Hughes has had more money this year to spend on players and wages e.g. Miller on 5k a week, and what has he done?

NOTHING. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

He hasnt won anything, taken us anywhere, and do sod all. Petrie wont be giving out the dosh to spend anytime soon will he?

Danderhall Hibs
02-05-2010, 03:24 PM
I dont agree with the OP. Look at this season, Petrie loosend the strings on bringing in players, ie Stokes. Undisclosed fee but could be around 500,000 which is a lot for hibs. Hughes has had more money this year to spend on players and wages e.g. Miller on 5k a week, and what has he done?

He hasnt won anything, taken us anywhere, and do sod all. Petrie wont be giving out the dosh to spend anytime soon will he?

Where is it stated that Miller's on £5k per week?

Danderhall Hibs
02-05-2010, 03:26 PM

Radical idea - let's only sign players that are good enough!

BTW Yogi only signed 2 of those in your list.

PeterboroHibee
02-05-2010, 03:28 PM
The original point is absolute nonsense, nearly every club will buy from either lower teams in the same league or players from lower divisions. Obviously you can get some flops, but you can find some real gems, especially in the lower leagues, and more likely than not at a much lower price. Suggestions like McArthur, especially when Premiership clubs are meant to be sniffing around, are crazy; obviously he would be a great addition but we could never compete.

I feel that we need a big change in personel, but I would be looking at lower teams to build.

essexhibee
02-05-2010, 03:28 PM

Lets show some ambition please. We will go nowhere buying players like those. :grr:

Allant1981
02-05-2010, 03:48 PM
Lets show some ambition please. We will go nowhere buying players like those. :grr:

surely if mcarthur is good enough for english premier league teams to be considering then he is good enough for pretty much any team in scotland?

scoopyboy
02-05-2010, 03:56 PM
Thank god we didn't buy that Danny Swanson from Berwick Rangers or Morgaro Gomis from Cowdenbeath.

Imagine what the OP would have said about that.

Allant1981
02-05-2010, 03:59 PM
Thank god we didn't buy that Danny Swanson from Berwick Rangers or Megano Gomes from Cowdenbeath.

Imagine what the OP would have said about that.

or morgaro gomis even:wink:

Pretty Boy
02-05-2010, 04:02 PM

You don't think James Mcarthur or Scott Arfield would be improvements on some of the players we have at the moment??

Seriously? The same James Mcarthur that has several Premier league clubs watching him week in week out.

scoopyboy
02-05-2010, 04:04 PM
or morgaro gomis even:wink:

sorted

Allant1981
02-05-2010, 04:06 PM
sorted

the lad gomes might be worth a look at also though:wink:

KWJ
02-05-2010, 04:07 PM
yogi.will.still.have.made.us.more.in.the.transfer. market.after.jones.and.Fletch.

So.his.huge.spending.is.around.....£2.5M.profit.to .us.at.worst.

sahib
02-05-2010, 04:07 PM

Simplistic nonsense!

seanraff07
02-05-2010, 04:10 PM

Over the whole season? I completely disagree with you there.

seanraff07
02-05-2010, 04:14 PM

How is Smith not good enough.. cause he has made one mistake?

Nowhere near as bad as some we've had in the recent past.

greenlex
02-05-2010, 04:17 PM
We could sign world class players that are maybe just past their best? Be great for the crowds I reckon.
Nope tried that didn't we. Relegated IIRC.:(

Scouse Hibee
02-05-2010, 05:04 PM

What a lot of crap, no wonder your mates argue over and over again on this point. We're Hibs mate not a top four premiership team or one of the old firm. The fact is we buy within our budget and rely on our scouting network to spot potential in the hope that we can nuture the raw talent into becoming better players. Agreed we don't always get the results we had hoped for with some players but that happens throughout football not just at Hibs. Occasionally we are able to compete for the signature of a player who is regarded as being of a high standard other than that we have to sign players within our limits. Don't tell me that the news of signing the players you have mentioned was not welcomed at the time cos that's not true.

Love the Green
02-05-2010, 05:34 PM

You having a ****in laugh the guy is pathetic yes he has scored goals but every move breaks down as soon as he is involved..his control is non existant is poor in the air and has no pace whatsovere..add to that a very poor work ethic and now tell me he is high standard.

"keep the faith" :wink:

Pretty Boy
02-05-2010, 07:15 PM
You having a ****in laugh the guy is pathetic yes he has scored goals but every move breaks down as soon as he is involved..his control is non existant is poor in the air and has no pace whatsovere..add to that a very poor work ethic and now tell me he is high standard.

"keep the faith" :wink:

20 goals this season. Still only a young guy so going to improve. Considering the lack of support and servicei actually think he's been prettydecent.

Has gone of the boil big time but without his goals this season we would potentially be in bother. To say Stokes isn't high standard(or potentially high standard) shows up your ignorance quite frankly.