PDA

View Full Version : Well done Hogg

H1bs6H3arts2 FC
02-05-2010, 12:13 PM
Hogg has many week points as a defender & captain but yesterday he showed the right attitude playing on when injured, we need a better defence for sure but I would keep Hogg in the squad next season if poss.

MichelleHibs
02-05-2010, 12:15 PM
any word on his injury? out for rest of season?

Diclonius
02-05-2010, 12:16 PM
Hogg's a trier, but this season he's shown that he isn't the quality we need to take us forward.

Murray captain and Hanlon/Thicot CB pairing for next season please.

Hibercelona
02-05-2010, 12:18 PM
There is no doubting Hoggs attitude, but I just don't think he has what it takes to play at this level.

He gets caught out of position far too often and his clearing is woeful.

If he does get a new contract, he should be stripped of the captaincy IMO.

heidtheba
02-05-2010, 12:18 PM
I have to say that I like Hogg and I thought he displayed an excellent attitude yesterday. Come to think of it I think he's always been a really good professional for the club, yes he may make mistakes but he doesn't act like a prima donna and a petulant little twot like some of the others when things don't go his way.

truehibernian
02-05-2010, 12:23 PM
I have to say that I like Hogg and I thought he displayed an excellent attitude yesterday. Come to think of it I think he's always been a really good professional for the club, yes he may make mistakes but he doesn't act like a prima donna and a petulant little twot like some of the others when things don't go his way.

Is no doubt the nicest, most professional off field player at the club, but that does nothing to disguise the fact he is an awful defender, with no pace and no skill. Would be very happy to see him find a new club in summer. He will hold Hanlon back if he is a mainstay mark my words. Never nice to see a player injured though so yes, hope he recovers soon.

Elephant Stone
02-05-2010, 12:31 PM
Agreed. I thought he had a good game overall aswell.

Allant1981
02-05-2010, 12:34 PM
thought he done ok but should have been taken off when he got injured. Dunno why all the calls for murray to be made captain. What does he offer that hogg doesnt. I dont see him doing anything different to what hogg does during a game. Apart from playing better some games but does that make you captain material, or is it because he is a hibs fan?

KWJ
02-05-2010, 12:49 PM

yip.

still.have.thicot&PH.ahead.of.him.though.

NorthNorfolkHFC
02-05-2010, 12:54 PM
Agreed.

I don't think any fans are in a position to decide who is captain.

In my opinion a captain has to have certain leadership qualities as a person. As none of us really know the players personalities we cannot make judgments. I agree that Murray leads by example but a captain has to encourage and be able to advise his teammates throughout a game amongst other things.

For all we know David Wotherspoon for example might show these qualities....

I just think it has to be a carefully considered decision.

Eaststand
02-05-2010, 01:06 PM

:top marksgood post.
Hogg could have taken the easy option and left the park when he caught what looked like a dislocated wrist yesterday BUT he chose to get some trackside treatment then play on through the pain barrier cos he knows we're short of defensive cover, so well done to him for showing that level of commitment to the team.
He aint a ferdinand / vidic but he's a good honest pro who plays more good games than bad, and I'd hope we can keep him at the club if possible

GGTTH

hibee_girl
02-05-2010, 01:08 PM
:agree: He showed true grit to come back on, really thought he was in serious trouble when he first went off.

However, I do think Hughes should have replaced him regardless of what Hogg wanted, it was clear as day that Hogg was still in a great deal of pain and that hindered him going into some tackles that normally he wouldn't think twice about.

Scooter
02-05-2010, 01:15 PM
Defo broken don't know if it's wrist or arm. So u would think his season is finnished

Judas Iscariot
02-05-2010, 01:19 PM
He's *****

Carheenlea
02-05-2010, 01:31 PM
Defo broken don't know if it's wrist or arm. So u would think his season is finnished

If he`d broke his wrist or arm I`d doubt the bench would feel that wrapping a bandage round it and finishing the game to be wise..

Thought it looked like a puncture from a stud maybe?

Whatever it was, Hogg showed courage and heart in carrying on. Plenty others in our side would not have got down the tunnel quick enough in a similar situation. How good he is is a different topic for discussion.

Scooter
02-05-2010, 01:40 PM
If he`d broke his wrist or arm I`d doubt the bench would feel that wrapping a bandage round it and finishing the game to be wise..

Thought it looked like a puncture from a stud maybe?

Whatever it was, Hogg showed courage and heart in carrying on. Plenty others in our side would not have got down the tunnel quick enough in a similar situation. How good he is is a different topic for discussion.

Mate it is defo broken or that's what the club docs and the attending paramedics thought :wink:

Kaiser1962
02-05-2010, 01:45 PM
Is no doubt the nicest, most professional off field player at the club, but that does nothing to disguise the fact he is an awful defender, with no pace and no skill. Would be very happy to see him find a new club in summer. He will hold Hanlon back if he is a mainstay mark my words. Never nice to see a player injured though so yes, hope he recovers soon.

Dont shoot me but I have thought for a wee while that Hogg might make a decent holding midfielder. A bit of tougher than whats there. Have always felt that he's not quite tall enough for CH.

I rate Hanlon as a great prospect but there's no doubt that his inexperience cost us defo one goal. mibbes two. My first thought was just praying that the support dont get on his back and kick **** (verbally) out of him as they have done this season with Maka, Hogg, Nish, Rankin et al

Judas Iscariot
02-05-2010, 01:47 PM
Dont shoot me but I have thought for a wee while that Hogg might make a decent midfielder. A bit of tougher than whats there. Have always felt that he's not quite tall enough for CH.

A midfielder!?

Good crack aye :smokin

Carheenlea
02-05-2010, 01:48 PM
Mate it is defo broken or that's what the club docs and the attending paramedics thought :wink:

I hope I don`t have a heart attack at ER then, can see them sticking a band aid on my chest and sending me back to my seat to see out the rest of the game...:greengrin

Eaststand
02-05-2010, 01:57 PM
:agree: He showed true grit to come back on, really thought he was in serious trouble when he first went off.

However, I do think Hughes should have replaced him regardless of what Hogg wanted, it was clear as day that Hogg was still in a great deal of pain and that hindered him going into some tackles that normally he wouldn't think twice about.

That's a fair enough point, but who would Yogi have brought on yesterday if Hogg had went off....we're really toiling for defensive cover this season and especially yesterday, so we had very little cover on the bench - Hogg knew that and didn't hide from his responsibilities eh

hibee_girl
02-05-2010, 01:59 PM
That's a fair enough point, but who would Yogi have brought on yesterday if Hogg had went off....we're really toiling for defensive cover this season and especially yesterday, so we had very little cover on the bench - Hogg knew that and didn't hide from his responsibilities eh

McCann was on the bench, in fact he was stripped ready to come on. Put him at right back and push Thicot into the centre.

NorthNorfolkHFC
02-05-2010, 02:01 PM
Dont shoot me but I have thought for a wee while that Hogg might make a decent holding midfielder. A bit of tougher than whats there. Have always felt that he's not quite tall enough for CH

Lets inject the midfield with more gas!!!!!

Eaststand
02-05-2010, 02:19 PM
McCann was on the bench, in fact he was stripped ready to come on. Put him at right back and push Thicot into the centre.

Yup, and I know we've all got our opinions about our players, but McCann's not done anything this season to make me think he's tough enough for the job, and I'd rather have Hogg in the team. Hogg must have convinced Yogi that he was able to play on and I reckon he still did ok even with the injury....IMO our defensive probs came from other players making mistakes or crap decisions

GGTTH

Toaods
02-05-2010, 02:20 PM
fantastic header back followed by an inch perfect lay off to Wotherspoon(if he hadn't been taken off).

Have to say if he's still a first team pick next season we can expect another error-strewn defensive season.

hibee_girl
02-05-2010, 02:24 PM
Yup, and I know we've all got our opinions about our players, but McCann's not done anything this season to make me think he's tough enough for the job, and I'd rather have Hogg in the team. Hogg must have convinced Yogi that he was able to play on and I reckon he still did ok even with the injury....IMO our defensive probs came from other players making mistakes or crap decisions

GGTTH

I agree, Hogg did well yesterday and wasn't to blame for the goals. I just think for his own safety he should have been replaced.

oconnors_strip
02-05-2010, 02:33 PM

two different words here, so is it defo broken or are you just thinking this?:rolleyes:

i seen hoggy after the game, the hibs doctor was taking him upto the hospital. he had his training gear on and the bandage round his lower arm with blood soaking through it and down his arm. he looked in a lot of pain.

i believe from what a player said, that a stud went into hoggy's arm. i hope hibs let us fans know what his injury actually is and if he will be playing on wednesdady.

KWJ
02-05-2010, 02:35 PM

GGTTH

:faf::faf::faf:

hogg,should.have.headed.clear.afore.smith.****ed.u p.

loses.too.much.of.em.

sesoim
02-05-2010, 02:52 PM
Dont shoot me but I have thought for a wee while that Hogg might make a decent holding midfielder. A bit of tougher than whats there. Have always felt that he's not quite tall enough for CH.
l

For me, Murray and Bamba should have been in midfield this season. A midfield of Murray, Bamba, Miller and Zemmama would have had more balance, and Murray can score goals when he's playing there.

Why Hughes signed Brown and Gow in January instead of defenders and failed to rearrange the midfield (as above) I don't know, but it has probably cost him his job.

Allant1981
02-05-2010, 02:58 PM

GGTTH

is that because he has been injured for almost all of the season?

KWJ
02-05-2010, 02:58 PM

Why Hughes signed Brown and Gow in January instead of defenders and failed to rearrange the midfield (as above) I don't know, but it has probably cost him his job.

I.agree.i'd.like.to.see.IM&Sol.at.midfield.Sure.Yogi.tried.to.get.defeders.th ough.just.didt.happe.

down the slope
02-05-2010, 03:00 PM
Hogg should be captain........of Stenhousmuir.

Eaststand
02-05-2010, 03:29 PM
I agree, Hogg did well yesterday and wasn't to blame for the goals. I just think for his own safety he should have been replaced.

I know what you mean, but I reckon Yogi was right to let his captain decide what was to happen....Hogg's a big laddie and made a good decision in my book.
Hogg takes a lot of flak from fans, and that's fair enough when he's played crap, but he did ok yesterday, and I hope he's still with us next season passing on his experience to the likes of Hanlon, Spoony and Co :wink:

GGTTH

Eaststand
02-05-2010, 03:37 PM
:faf::faf::faf:

hogg,should.have.headed.clear.afore.smith.****ed.u p.

loses.too.much.of.em.

Aye, maybe so, but if you trace back from any goal we ever lose you could probably build a case or set of stats on player A, B or C being the culprit...but luckily mostly it's seen as a team game, and the fault often lies collectively.
Hogg makes mistakes, just like the other guys in the team do, but he also does lots of good things in most of the games I've been at this season, so I'd keep him at the club
Hogg like a few other players has had a bad second half of the season, but I've seen worse displays, much much worse from other guys in our team who are forgiven quickly

Eaststand
02-05-2010, 03:43 PM
is that because he has been injured for almost all of the season?

Maybe so bud, and he seems to spend a lot of time injured - maybe he's just been unlucky with injuries so far, or maybe he's injury prone, I honestly don't know. I hope he makes the grade, but I've got my doubts
I like our defenders to tackle when they get a chance but McCann doesn't do that

Allant1981
02-05-2010, 03:51 PM
Maybe so bud, and he seems to spend a lot of time injured - maybe he's just been unlucky with injuries so far, or maybe he's injury prone, I honestly don't know. I hope he makes the grade, but I've got my doubts
I like our defenders to tackle when they get a chance but McCann doesn't do that

i have my doubts as the whether he will make the grade also but that probably down to not getting a decent run in the team due to injury. dont think anyone can say anything about him this year due to injuries. if he stays fit pre season and plays more often then we are in a better position to question him

Jonnyboy
02-05-2010, 09:07 PM

:agree::top marks

Westie1875
02-05-2010, 09:24 PM
two different words here, so is it defo broken or are you just thinking this?:rolleyes:

i seen hoggy after the game, the hibs doctor was taking him upto the hospital. he had his training gear on and the bandage round his lower arm with blood soaking through it and down his arm. he looked in a lot of pain.

i believe from what a player said, that a stud went into hoggy's arm. i hope hibs let us fans know what his injury actually is and if he will be playing on wednesdady.

Thats what I thought at the time with the way he was holding his wrist as soon as it happened. :agree:

Jay
02-05-2010, 09:34 PM

We thought it was a bleed with the way they were holding the arm up and the speed that the call for help went out it must have been something blatantly obvious. Surely they wouldn't stick him back on with a suspected break?

Aubenas
02-05-2010, 11:37 PM
Not sure why Hoggy gets so much stick - sure he has his limitations but never hides, always gives it his all and it's my feeling we've lost a lot more goals this season when he's not been at centre half.