PDA

View Full Version : Hibs fans

sunshine1875
01-05-2010, 04:52 PM
Whilst Behind The Goals, for a moment I sat observing the many elderly fans wondering what stories they could share on all things Hibs.

My dad is in a nursing home and communication with him is difficult! And I do regret not spending more time with him, listening to his stories of the past.

So for our oldies, say the over 60s, what are your favourite Hibs-related stories. Any topic - funny moments, sad moments (there have been many!), happy moments when life cannot get any better.

Go on oldies, tell me a story.

sunshine1875
01-05-2010, 06:43 PM
Bump - trying to lighten the mood a bit. Surely there must be some oldies that have internet access and can type! I'll even lower the age limit to the over 50's.

Whilst Behind The Goals, for a moment I sat observing the many elderly fans wondering what stories they could share on all things Hibs.

My dad is in a nursing home and communication with him is difficult! And I do regret not spending more time with him, listening to his stories of the past.

So for our oldies, say the over 60s, what are your favourite Hibs-related stories. Any topic - funny moments, sad moments (there have been many!), happy moments when life cannot get any better.

Alfred E Newman
01-05-2010, 06:49 PM

There have been many great moments over the years but sadly ,like todays shambles, a hell of a lot more sad times.

roc1
01-05-2010, 07:04 PM
great times : 3 league cup wins, 0-7, 6-2 and beating Hertz,Celtc & the blue boys often ( though not enough ), the drybrough cup, twice, s**t beer great tournament, stuffing some of europes great clubs at ER, long time ago though. Turnbulls Tornadoes, McLeish's promotion team and, of course the privilege of seeing the great Joe Baker. And so many others.

Fulton "booked for being ugly" ... how funny was that.

bad times .... how many!! every scottish cup run, the few more european events, today and the tail end of what promised to be a much better season.
the fact that we live on these memories rather than making new ones :boo hoo:

more good times ... ahead, hopefully!!!

GGTTH!!!!! EVEN AFTER 45+ YEARS

thebakerboy
01-05-2010, 08:58 PM
Try Ted Bracks book "There is a bonny fitba team" I think thats right . But to summerise; The Famous Five , The Baker boy and Johny McLeod and Davie Gibson , the wonderful Willie Hamilton ,Turnbulls Tornadoes especially The Quiet Man , big Gordon Rae , Benny Brazil , Ally McLead (both of them) , beating Jambos 7 0 , 6 2 ,4 0 (Pat Quins only senior hattrick) , beating Barca and Real Madrid , Peter Cormack , Neil Martin, Jimmy O'Rourkes 1st game at 16, 1st team in UK to play in Euro Cup , under floodlights to have Ads on shirts . Do I need to say anymore except Tears of joy and of pain (today) thats supporting Hibs .:notworthy: WHAT ELSE IS THERE TO DO ON A SATURDAY???????????? :notworthy::greengrin:greengrin:greengrin:greengri n:grr::grr::grr::jamboak:iTS LIFE AS WE HIBEES KNOW IT JIM.

IberianHibernian
01-05-2010, 11:05 PM
Bump - trying to lighten the mood a bit. Surely there must be some oldies that have internet access and can type! I'll even lower the age limit to the over 50's.
Fortunately I`m not yet in your age limit ( but soon will be ! ) but welcome your thread . You mention nursing homes and I remember working in one near London in 1980s to find that two of my patients who could hardly remember what day it was could tell me all about their memories of Hibs ( not just Famous Five - club meant a lot to community whatever results and not just in Leith or Edinburgh ) . Likewise , on my first visit to Ireland to visit relatives in mid / late sixties I still remember the enthusiasm of locals in villages when they ( locals in general ) saw my Hibernian bar scarf ( the silk ones with our harp badge that still appear at cup finals and derbies ) . Recent match in Dingwall made me remember my 2 visits for pre season friendlies - great experiences with great locals ( gave us keys of social club to lock up for example ) . LC final v Livi was a special one for me despite result since I`d travelled through Madrid at time of bombs on way to game and spoke to my bedridden dad who with his relatives had introduced me to Hibernian FC nearly 40 years before and who died soon after . Even into ciber age I have memories - football.com text commentary comparing 6v2 win to Barcelona or AC Milan for example . Have yet to read 2 recent books about Hibs but will do soon - Hibernian FC is so much more than results on field though after 43 years watching games , favourite is still 6-1 v Sporting Lisbon with Jimmy O`Rourke hattrick .

Pete
01-05-2010, 11:15 PM
My dad is 65 and he told me he used to sit around the pitch by the touchline with all the other kids!

This must have been in the fifties.

I'm not saying I don't believe him but I can't imagine that at all!

son of haggart
01-05-2010, 11:30 PM
Just to cheer you guys up a wee bit

I went to New Zealand 10 years ago and visited my uncle who was in a nursing home (hospice). He had fairly bad alzheimers by then combined with the effects of many years hard drinking).

He was a hibs fan and had left Edinburgh mid 60s. My whole family were jambos esp. his father, my grandfather who used to take me to Tynie in the ealry 60s . My uncle took me to a couple of Hibs European games (cna't remember which ones) and looking back was probably working to convert me before he left.

When I went to visit him he persuaded the nurses to let my cousin and me take him down the town for 'lunch' which for him consisted of a couple of pints and a bite into a pie.

He didn't talk much or seem to be too aware who I was, but I remembered he had a good sense of humour so i thought I would have a dig about recently just seen Hearts win the cup.

He answered something like "aye but Hibs are always top dogs in Edinburgh' or something similar. Ill or not I couldn't let that go so I started to reel off the 21 in a row, 3rd in the league, european runs and whatever.

he gave me a strange look and burst into laughter - "your having me on aren't you!" he said.

I tried hard for the next 20 minutes but he would have none of it and insisted I was making it all up, cup win included.

He died a few years later and I am still not sure whether he knew and was having me on, or whether he genuinely had no memory of the 80s and 90s. If the latter, he died a happy hibee, history having ended about 1973 (which of course he mentioned) if the former he died knowing he had had one last joke.

sunshine1875
02-05-2010, 07:04 AM
Just to cheer you guys up a wee bit

I went to New Zealand 10 years ago and visited my uncle who was in a nursing home (hospice). He had fairly bad alzheimers by then combined with the effects of many years hard drinking).

He was a hibs fan and had left Edinburgh mid 60s. My whole family were jambos esp. his father, my grandfather who used to take me to Tynie in the ealry 60s . My uncle took me to a couple of Hibs European games (cna't remember which ones) and looking back was probably working to convert me before he left.

When I went to visit him he persuaded the nurses to let my cousin and me take him down the town for 'lunch' which for him consisted of a couple of pints and a bite into a pie.

He didn't talk much or seem to be too aware who I was, but I remembered he had a good sense of humour so i thought I would have a dig about recently just seen Hearts win the cup.

He answered something like "aye but Hibs are always top dogs in Edinburgh' or something similar. Ill or not I couldn't let that go so I started to reel off the 21 in a row, 3rd in the league, european runs and whatever.

he gave me a strange look and burst into laughter - "your having me on aren't you!" he said.

I tried hard for the next 20 minutes but he would have none of it and insisted I was making it all up, cup win included.

He died a few years later and I am still not sure whether he knew and was having me on, or whether he genuinely had no memory of the 80s and 90s. If the latter, he died a happy hibee, history having ended about 1973 (which of course he mentioned) if the former he died knowing he had had one last joke.

Good story. When I read it, it makes me happy that we don't support the Infirm. You are not alone in having family that support the other side.