PDA

View Full Version : if yogi goes who do you want to replace him ?

cheltenhamhibee
01-05-2010, 04:22 PM
i would like it to be Steve Cotterill:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Lofarl
01-05-2010, 04:23 PM
I'd take anyone right now.

RickyS
01-05-2010, 04:23 PM

Jimmy Calderwood

Lofarl
01-05-2010, 04:24 PM
Apart from Mr magoo and the tangoman. That is.

The Voice Of Reason
Jimmy Krankie

hibeez1875
Craig Levein :devil:

MountcastleHibs
Tony Mowbray.

weonlywon6-2
01-05-2010, 04:26 PM

not sure but mcinnes would be in there im sure.

HibeeMG
01-05-2010, 04:26 PM
I think it's a given that Derek McInnes would be favourite as far as the fans are concerned if it came to it.

Since90+2
01-05-2010, 04:30 PM
Got to be McInnes. Whether or not he has a more attractive offer from down south and would take it or not is the question.

New Corrie
01-05-2010, 04:31 PM
I wanted Yogi at the time, but if it hadn't of been him, I wanted Terry Butcher or Billy Reid and I would still take either of them, especially Reid as he just goes about his business in a quiet effective manner with little resourses, and most importantly, his team are hard to beat.

Bob Box Fish
01-05-2010, 04:33 PM
I think it's a given that Derek McInnes would be favourite as far as the fans are concerned if it came to it.

I was earwigging a conversation between Petrie and fans before the killie home game this year BTG. One fan asked what Petrie thought of mcinnes Petrie s response was no thanks he's a hoof ball manager.

The fan replied saying maybe so but it worked vs us 5-1 game when we had a team of midgets out. Petries response was they are small but all talented players.

stu in nottingham
01-05-2010, 04:36 PM

He's done fantastically well in a short period of time at Notts County. (Another five goals today - against Cheltenham). :wink:

:greengrin

Cracker
01-05-2010, 04:40 PM
Homer Simpson would do a better job than Mr Hughes:devil:

New Corrie
01-05-2010, 04:43 PM
I was earwigging a conversation between Petrie and fans before the killie home game this year BTG. One fan asked what Petrie thought of mcinnes Petrie s response was no thanks he's a hoof ball manager.
The fan replied saying maybe so but it worked vs us 5-1 game when we had a team of midgets out. Petries response was they are small but all talented players.

Please don't tell me that even the chairman buys into all this "other teams hoofball" bollocks. next he'll be using the "20 points back" and "football that makes your eyes bleed" bollocks. Someone might end up realising that "industrial" football can actually reap success.

Beefster
01-05-2010, 04:45 PM
I'd want the board to appoint someone based entirely on their personality, talents, past record and philosophy and not bow to any supporter pressure for a particular candidate.

SteveHFC
01-05-2010, 04:46 PM
Derek McInnes or Steve Cotterill.

cheltenhamhibee
01-05-2010, 04:48 PM
He's done fantastically well in a short period of time at Notts County. (Another five goals today - against Cheltenham). :wink:

:greengrin

not just at Notts County, did an amazing job at Cheltenham as well, and did well at Burnley, he doesn't take any c**p from players and doesn't make feeble excuses

HibeeMG
01-05-2010, 04:49 PM

That's more than likely true but I do think the fans' favourite would be McInnes though.

Ever since Sauzee became manager I think the board won't appoint any manager solely based on fans support. Say what you like about luck etc. we got that one wrong.

I'd be disappointed if that is what RP a) thinks about McInnes' management style considering what we've seen and b) that he thinks having small, talented players who get beat 5-1, 4-0, etc. etc. is the way forward for our club.

Sas_The_Hibby
01-05-2010, 04:54 PM
At the moment it looks like Donald Duck would get us more points....

On a more serious note, though, we need a manager who ignores all the guff about Hibs proud history / attractive footballing side / playing the Hibs way / etc. and puts some spine into the team.

Frankly I'm fed up with watching a team that:

plays attractive football and wins 20% of the time;
plays attractive football and draws / loses 20% of the time
grinds out a win 10% of the time and
plays gutlessly and loses meekly 50% of the time

skipster7
01-05-2010, 04:57 PM
i would like it to be Steve Cotterill:thumbsup::thumbsup: irrelevant, unless there is a huge improvment within 1 year we'll be calling for his head in a groundhog stylee:wink:

stu in nottingham
01-05-2010, 05:03 PM
not just at Notts County, did an amazing job at Cheltenham as well, and did well at Burnley, he doesn't take any c**p from players and doesn't make feeble excuses

Absolutely, yes. Just to give an indication of how he's doing, here's his record at Notts so far:

P17 W14 D2 L1 F35 A6 P46

That little lot includes a club record number of clean sheets (13 during his tenure).

Apparently he's entering talks with the club owners for next season, currently. It's reported that he wants certain 'assurances' regarding available funds for the team. The indications are that these will be met.

magnificent_seven
01-05-2010, 05:15 PM
McInnes, he can bring Duberry and Morris with him.

HIBERNIAN 1875
01-05-2010, 05:16 PM
It HAS to be someone with no connections to the club at all.

I'd be tempted to go for Derek McInnes, but dont think he'd come tbh. :boo hoo:

yekimevol
01-05-2010, 05:20 PM
my choices

1. tony mowbray
2. Lawrie Sanchez (but dont think we could affrord his wages, but hes not been a job since 2007)
3. Dave Bassett (maybe :s)
4. Derek McInnes (http://www.hibs.net/wiki/Derek_McInnes)
5. Paul Simpson
6. Serek Adams

PatHead
01-05-2010, 05:29 PM
Did Paul Simpson not get sacked by Shrewsbury this week. Surely can have higher ambitions that that

sesoim
01-05-2010, 05:55 PM

He's done a good job at St Johnstone, but I've never liked him, especially since he said West Brom were much bigger than Hibs (when Mowbray was leaving). I don't think he'd fit in at Hibs, and he'd jump ship quickly - especially if he thinks Hibs are such a wee club. There's loads of other decent candidates out there.

hibsbollah
01-05-2010, 05:58 PM
Get Sauzee:sauzee: back and give him more than 69 days.

sesoim
01-05-2010, 05:58 PM

Yeah, I've got good instincts about him. I think we'd have to approach Mowbray first, but I'd definitely be happy with Cotterill as well.

HONG KONG PHOOEY
01-05-2010, 05:59 PM
And will all the names above how long do we want to give them ? 6 month a year ? I am not saying Yogi is the man but how long do we give anyone - about 6 month by our current run of managers ?

sesoim
01-05-2010, 06:10 PM
I'd want the board to appoint someone based entirely on their personality, talents, past record and philosophy and not bow to any supporter pressure for a particular candidate.

Yip, Petrie has been far too easily influenced recently. Collins had no experience, Mixu wasn't really proven (although I was one of many who expected a lot more from him) and Hughes was ok at Falkirk, but really there were much better candidates out there.

I don't know why folk wanted Hughes back at Hibs so much - his most notable achievement as a player at Hibs was to captain us to relegation.

Violater
01-05-2010, 06:40 PM
Terry Butcher? :dunno:

McD
01-05-2010, 06:42 PM
Cottirill would be a great pick-up.

I don't think the next appt (if/when hughes goes soon) should be of the up-and-coming sort, we need to push on or we'll constantly be in this 3rd-8th swing, whereas we could/should be consolidating ourselves as consistently 3rd-5th a-la Dundee Utd have under Levein (no surprise he had a bit of experience).

We should be looking to get a manager who has been around the block so to speak, but still hungry, and encouraging a guy who wants to build the club with some kind of legacy. The stadium, training ground, infrastructure are all there now (or will be in a few months lol), so we can and should be talking to potential managers about building a first team squad of homegrown talents and acquired players in the Stokes mould who will help push us forward.

Being done in the correct way, since there is little debt, will see us as a club where players will want to play here, knowing that we can provide them with a shop window to the english prem, and between the imported talent and homegrown laddies, would see us making a tidy profit and continuing to compete at the top of the league, with the majority of the profits driven back into the playing side of things.

Not a follower of either club, but the likes of Spurs, Aston Villa, Everton all have solid players policies of signing young up-and-coming talent and developing it further, all the while maintaining a strong league position because they re-invest the money of sales into the squad, and having managers who are relatively young (ok not Spurs lol), who have built/are building a leagacy at their club.

Violater
01-05-2010, 06:59 PM

I don't think the next appt (if/when hughes goes soon) should be of the up-and-coming sort, we need to push on or we'll constantly be in this 3rd-8th swing, whereas we could/should be consolidating ourselves as consistently 3rd-5th a-la Dundee Utd have under Levein (no surprise he had a bit of experience).

We should be looking to get a manager who has been around the block so to speak, but still hungry, and encouraging a guy who wants to build the club with some kind of legacy. The stadium, training ground, infrastructure are all there now (or will be in a few months lol), so we can and should be talking to potential managers about building a first team squad of homegrown talents and acquired players in the Stokes mould who will help push us forward.

Being done in the correct way, since there is little debt, will see us as a club where players will want to play here, knowing that we can provide them with a shop window to the english prem, and between the imported talent and homegrown laddies, would see us making a tidy profit and continuing to compete at the top of the league, with the majority of the profits driven back into the playing side of things.

Not a follower of either club, but the likes of Spurs, Aston Villa, Everton all have solid players policies of signing young up-and-coming talent and developing it further, all the while maintaining a strong league position because they re-invest the money of sales into the squad, and having managers who are relatively young (ok not Spurs lol), who have built/are building a leagacy at their club.

Good post!

SalfordHibs
01-05-2010, 08:07 PM

Think he would be an excellent choice.

seanraff07
01-05-2010, 08:24 PM
Derek McInnes.

IberianHibernian
01-05-2010, 08:28 PM
First of all hope everyone gets behind team and manager for next 2 games - even if we get hammered at Motherwell , a win at Tannadice will guarantee 5th and probable Europa League place . I`m one of the few here who`s still not sure that a managerial change will help club next season and it`s interesting that poll here has swung against Yogi in last 3 weeks when we have lost all 3 games but played well in all 3 at times and been unlucky not to get at least a couple of draws . IF we change manager and I suspect we will if we don`t get 4th place ( actual date of change could depend on when alternatives become available - some leagues finish later than SPL - and season ticket sales ) close season is time to do it and we should be interviewing as many candidates as possible . A few names ? John Collins , Paul Sturrock , John Blackley ( experienced candidate ) , Lawrie Sanchez , Michael O`Neill , Neil Lennon , George Burley , John McGlynn , Brian Kerr (Faroes ) ,Bruce Rioch , .. Whoever it is , think this is the time to spend a lot - luxury of appointing manager in close season , chance of selling more season tickets etc. and not just look at cheap options . In Spain 2 candidates ( there are many more if board is prepared to be adventurous and spend time studying the market ) - ex Raith manager Antonio Calderon who is doing a great job with Huesca ( easily poorest club in Spanish second which is level of SPL or better ) and Javier Clemente ( on short term contract with Valladolid and doing well but probably signed too late to avoid relegation , always an admirer of game in Scotland and England and was quoted as being interested in Dunfermline job a few years ago ) . Anyway , would love to see 2 away wins this week meaning 4th place and Europa League and Yogi making big changes in summer but can`t see it happening and if it does , suspect Yogi would then get reasonable offers from outside Scotland which he`d be tempted to accept .

Gerard
01-05-2010, 08:32 PM
Sir Alex Ferguson:wink::thumbsup::devil:
We can dream
and no I have not been drinking today
Gerard

francobaresi
01-05-2010, 09:33 PM
Mark Hughes, but that might just be pish:wink:

Idlewild
01-05-2010, 09:34 PM
Burley?

hibeesjoe
02-05-2010, 07:23 AM
Cant understand why people would want Mowbray back. Fair enough we played some attractive football but we won nothing and his record at celtic was dire too.

Hopefully the next manager will have no hibs connection and will be able to motivate the players into grinding out results. Yogi can talk about playing well or being unlucky but unless teams win games then they have failed.

bighairyfaeleith
02-05-2010, 07:33 AM
definitely not terry butcher, the guys has been **** in every job he has had.

Personally, I'd go for mcinnes, I worry we might end up with shabba:greengrin

Just a thought, what about peter houston?

PaulSmith
02-05-2010, 07:35 AM
Hughes will not be going anywhere IMO.

down the slope
02-05-2010, 08:02 AM
Hughes will not be going anywhere IMO.

Then battalions of Hibbies will not go to ER.

SidBurns
02-05-2010, 08:07 AM

He'd NEVER come to Hibs. Notts have the opp' to be much bigger than us, if they aren't already, so why jump ship!?!

stu in nottingham
02-05-2010, 08:21 AM
He'd NEVER come to Hibs. Notts have the opp' to be much bigger than us, if they aren't already, so why jump ship!?!

I'm not sure that's the case.

Notts have done very well this season to be fair but when they reached the top flight back in the 1980s' the promised crowds didn't come. They are also stymied by being in Forest's shadow for so long. Sadly, I don't believe Notts are a club with great potential. It has been proven in the past.

The new owner seems a sensible businessman but I don't think he has the wherewithal to payroll Notts into a big club.

Whether any of that would influence Cotterill one way or another though I have no idea.

murray26
02-05-2010, 08:29 AM
A.b.y .

PaulSmith
02-05-2010, 08:31 AM
Then battalions of Hibbies will not go to ER.

Well if we have battalions of fans that just don't bother going after a terrible period of 3 months then that's their choice.

I seen worse Hibs teams, had worse managers, seen better times, seen worse times but I'm still with the current manager as no one, especially the manager, has ever said that we'll be top 3 in one season.

Let's crack on and get 4th place, would be one of our better seasons in 30 odd years, get rid of the players that we all know aren't good enough and look forward to next season.

marleyhib
02-05-2010, 08:37 AM
Well if we have battalions of fans that just don't bother going after a terrible period of 3 months then that's their choice.

I seen worse Hibs teams, had worse managers, seen better times, seen worse times but I'm still with the current manager as no one, especially the manager, has ever said that we'll be top 3 in one season.

Let's crack on and get 4th place, would be one of our better seasons in 30 odd years, get rid of the players that we all know aren't good enough and look forward to next season.

well said mate - I remember Duffy [shudder]

Oscar Lomax
02-05-2010, 08:39 AM
Bruce Rioch.:wink:

blackpoolhibs
02-05-2010, 09:41 AM
Maybe Rod could try and get Bob Malcolm in as player manager.

eastmainsmsh
02-05-2010, 10:24 AM
If Yogi leaves hopefully he wont tho.....

:faf::faf:
Curley Watts worked wonders at bettabuys in corrie

Kaiser1962
02-05-2010, 01:57 PM
Sir Alex Ferguson:wink::thumbsup::devil:
We can dream
and no I have not been drinking today
Gerard

Neither he nor Mourinho would put up with the abuse they would take from the fans.

CRAZYHIBBY
02-05-2010, 02:05 PM
George Burley would be my choice

iwasthere1972
02-05-2010, 02:21 PM
Ian Holloway.

Even if we got beat at least you know his interviews will be entertaining and give you a laugh.

iwasthere1972
02-05-2010, 02:23 PM
George Burley would be my choice

Now if you had said George from Rainbow I maybe would have agreed. :greengrin

Pretty Boy
02-05-2010, 02:24 PM
If we could tempt him away from Northern Ireland then Nigel Worthington would be my choice.

I'd still be tempted to give Yogi a bit longer though.

eastmainsmsh
02-05-2010, 02:31 PM
Mickey Adams...... or Gary Megson

SloopJB
02-05-2010, 04:42 PM
Rod Petrie and the board of directors

Phil D. Rolls
02-05-2010, 05:34 PM

That is a good way of summing up Yogi's escape clause. All he needs to do is win on Wednesday (despite saying he didn't want third spot, then saying that he did after all, and then saying he was only joking and had never really wanted that at all.

He went on to say we had six (then five, then four etc) cup finals, and now we have one cup final, which isn't a cup final at all because we are out of the cup. Wish he'd said something like shape up or ship out or something before that game, because then he'd be able to say that our cup final is the cup final.

Sorry for going on about this, it's just that Yogi has said everything bar being "over the moon" or "sick as a parrot" from the managers big book of cliches.

The bottom line is that the team hasn't won in weeks, and there is nothing to suggest Yogi has a scooby how he's going to win this game against Well. So, even if he does get the fourth spot, I think he has damaged his reputation to a great extent with all the gobsh*te he has been spouting.

You can't even excuse him as being an inexperienced manager. At the end of the day he is out of his depth, and many have seen enough.

We made the mistake with duff Jimmy of letting him take us to the play offs (despite a must win last day against relegated Raith Rovers, and then he went one better the next year.

It's not the results that's bugging me, it's the way he's achieving them.

Phil MaGlass
02-05-2010, 05:40 PM
A manager like F,n Souness but with tactical knowledge, ya f,n knuts,now git f,n oot there and break legs ya bunch o f,n pu55y bas----s,or yill huv me tae enswer tae ya f----rs.RRRRRRROOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRR

McD
02-05-2010, 07:24 PM

Fair point mate, and definitely potentially true. I only mentioned him as a previous poster already had. The main point of my post was to explain how I think we should approach any possible replacement for hughes, although I think that aiming high and maybe snagging a 'known'/well-regarded manager with experience (bit like yams getting burley), then it could pay off through their tactical nous (please please please Rod) and their name acting as an attraction to potential playing recruits.

jabis
02-05-2010, 07:45 PM

Havn't read the rest of this thread,but I vote YOU,your mum has obviously told you,that the sun shines out your arse,therefor you are God's gift.

Where do you work....I'd LOVE to come along and give a "critique".

Jabis

hibsmum
02-05-2010, 08:33 PM
Anybody not associated with Hibs!

snooky
02-05-2010, 08:46 PM
That is a good way of summing up Yogi's escape clause. All he needs to do is win on Wednesday (despite saying he didn't want third spot, then saying that he did after all, and then saying he was only joking and had never really wanted that at all.

He went on to say we had six (then five, then four etc) cup finals, and now we have one cup final, which isn't a cup final at all because we are out of the cup. Wish he'd said something like shape up or ship out or something before that game, because then he'd be able to say that our cup final is the cup final.

Sorry for going on about this, it's just that Yogi has said everything bar being "over the moon" or "sick as a parrot" from the managers big book of cliches.

The bottom line is that the team hasn't won in weeks, and there is nothing to suggest Yogi has a scooby how he's going to win this game against Well. So, even if he does get the fourth spot, I think he has damaged his reputation to a great extent with all the gobsh*te he has been spouting.

You can't even excuse him as being an inexperienced manager. At the end of the day he is out of his depth, and many have seen enough.

We made the mistake with duff Jimmy of letting him take us to the play offs (despite a must win last day against relegated Raith Rovers, and then he went one better the next year.

It's not the results that's bugging me, it's the way he's achieving them.

Exactimondo! :agree:

joebakerforever
02-05-2010, 09:14 PM
Order of preference:_

Gabriella Benson

Mike Bassett

Bob McIver

:devil:

Danderhall Hibs
02-05-2010, 09:51 PM
his team are hard to beat.

It wasn't that hard when we beat them 5-1. :wink:

I've read this thread through and it seems the conclusion is there is noone to take the job on? Who'd want a job that comes with a guarantee that the fans will be on your back after 6 months or so anyway? Mind you some of the desperados listed as potential managers on here might take that chance.

NAE NOOKIE
03-05-2010, 09:01 AM
I would not take a chance on Mowbray now. The more you look at his record since leaving Hibs the more it looks like he got lucky with a squad of players who were talented enough to play the way he wanted.

The way he wants to play the game is to be admired, but you have to have a plan B and he didnt.

Talking of past managers. Collins walked coz of lack of cash. The way to become a respected manager is to rise above that situation and prove you can still get results. Who the hell wants a quitter like that running a club.

Talking of no plan B brings us back to the current incumbent of the post. Yogi, like Mowbray, appears to have no plan B and relies too heavily on the forwards to get us goals in order to win games no matter how badly we are playing as a team.

He doesnt appear to be able to tactically out think his opposite number, so if the hoped for goals dont come in spades we end up getting beaten. Ross County was a prime example.

I dont buy into "the players arent trying" stuff. I have been to all but one home game this season and as far as I can see the players are trying as hard as possible.

Because we are constantly over run in midfield and two out of our usual 3 forwards are as slow as me, it just looks like they are not trying.

We need, and have done for some time, a manager who can change his tactics to counter the opposition. Who realises that signing 3 goalkeepers isnt the way to strengthen the defense. And, can see that 3 against 4 or even 5 in midfield is not the way to win football matches.

I would have loved to see Yogi succeed and would still like him to do so, but it just doesnt look like he's got it.

What about Craig Brown ..... C'mon Bravehearts :greengrin

Toaods
03-05-2010, 09:03 AM
Michael O'Neil

KWJ
03-05-2010, 09:12 AM
Surprised it took so long for someone to say Cotteril is highly unlikely to come here.

I don't see anything more on Derek McInnes' CV that wasn't on Yogi's.

I want to see Yogi stay but if he doesn't I'd like Paul Sturrock. Doubt we could get him either though.

cheltenhamhibee
03-05-2010, 01:43 PM
Havn't read the rest of this thread,but I vote YOU,your mum has obviously told you,that the sun shines out your arse,therefor you are God's gift.

Where do you work....I'd LOVE to come along and give a "critique".

Jabis

:yawn::yawn::yawn::yawn::yawn: :bye::bye:

rainman
03-05-2010, 01:56 PM
Derek McInnes or Steve Cotterill.

How about we bring in St Johnstone's recruitment committee. They seem to be doing a good job of late.

Ours seems to be a f***ing lottery.

gobragh1875
03-05-2010, 02:09 PM
I hope its not the person who had the idea for the new away strip lol

M8UDB
03-05-2010, 02:25 PM
John Collins :offski:

Cropley10
03-05-2010, 02:34 PM
Someone wanted by another Club as well as us.

Someone who has never played for Hibs.

Someone who knows what they're doing rather than thinking they know what they're doing. And there's a HUGE difference.

BTW the last three managers at Hibs are all still currently out of work. Two of them haven't had a job since leaving.

Ray_
03-05-2010, 02:50 PM

The terrible time has been going on a lot longer than three months IMOH, we had a spell where the results were fine but the performances didn't usually match the results.

TRC
04-05-2010, 01:14 AM
I've said it before Danny Wilson Swindon Manager, and yes he signed A O'B but has got them into a good position with an average squad.

sauzee=legend
04-05-2010, 10:46 AM
Another random name to throw into the hat....Gus Poyet??

blackpoolhibs
04-05-2010, 10:50 AM
Helmut schon, then we can see the prick from day 1.

Andy74
04-05-2010, 11:01 AM
What a waste of 4 pages so far, Hughes is not going anywhere!

What's happend to Hibs fans? We've a game tomorrow which could potentially claim us 4th place. Something that's happened maybe 4 or 5 times since I was born! And we are looking to sack the manager.

I'm aware that it has been crap since February, I'm also well aware why and Hughes ability has precious little to do with it.

euro Hibby
04-05-2010, 11:18 AM
possibly Craig Brewster or maybe Hamiltons manager --

Speedway
04-05-2010, 12:10 PM
Some of these posts are seriously unsettling.

Therefore, I'll keep with the flock and go for Jocky Scott. That would be the best o' the teckle.