PDA

View Full Version : Change of subject

RIP
01-05-2010, 03:38 PM
I work for a local firm, part of a national corporation

My first boss was a nice man, popular with the staff. Not too bright, nor talented but he was pretty much left to run the office. His boss, the Regional Director kept all the finances well screwed down but took little interest in the day to day workings of the office. Wages were below the norm for our size of business and that extended to the manager.

Most of the projects we worked on weren't a success. Which was a pity 'cos it's not like we were all duffers. Our processes were all over the place and discipline was poor. The Director handled all the employee contracts. We were able to come and go as we pleased. Long lunches were a regular occurence. The office manager didn't have the authority to fire anyone

It took a while, but eventually the Director twigged that all was not well and the manager was sent packing.

Trouble was that the Director wasn't a good judge of what was required. He wasn't a guy who knew anything about the day-to-day running of that type of business. So he hired a new manager pretty much like the last. He didn't improve things either.

Well we are now on our fourth manager in as many years. Productivity, attendance and morale are pretty appalling. The company is actually owned by a philantropist who knows nowt about the business either. As long as we break even every year he's happy. The Director will never be held to account.

So the 2 guys at the top of the organisation know f all about the business. Things never seem to get any better. We seem to be stuck between a rock and a hard place. Where do we go from here?

One Day Soon
01-05-2010, 03:49 PM

My first boss was a nice man, popular with the staff. Not too bright, nor talented but he was pretty much left to run the office. His boss, the Regional Director kept all the finances well screwed down but took little interest in the day to day workings of the office. Wages were below the norm for our size of business and that extended to the manager.

Most of the projects we worked on weren't a success. Which was a pity 'cos it's not like we were all duffers. Our processes were all over the place and discipline was poor. The Director handled all the employee contracts. We were able to come and go as we pleased. Long lunches were a regular occurence. The office manager didn't have the authority to fire anyone

It took a while, but eventually the Director twigged that all was not well and the manager was sent packing.

Trouble was that the Director wasn't a good judge of what was required. He wasn't a guy who knew anything about the day-to-day running of that type of business. So he hired a new manager pretty much like the last. He didn't improve things either.

Well we are now on our fourth manager in as many years. Productivity, attendance and morale are pretty appalling. The company is actually owned by a philantropist who knows nowt about the business either. As long as we break even every year he's happy. The Director will never be held to account.

So the 2 guys at the top of the organisation know f all about the business. Things never seem to get any better. We seem to be stuck between a rock and a hard place. Where do we go from here?

We contact the philanthropist owner, the regional director and the director to let them know that we think the mixture of their disengagement and disinterest in the day to day running of our company is putting our jobs at serious risk. Alternatively we withhold our labour from the club, sorry I mean business. I wonder how long the owner and directors would remain disinterested without the work we do and the revenues we generate for the business?

Hibs Class
01-05-2010, 03:59 PM

Sack the manager again. After all what else is there to do? There's bound to be a genius manager out there just waiting to be appointed.