PDA

View Full Version : Manager changing the game

shamo9
01-05-2010, 02:26 PM
Hughes only had to look to his right to see a basic example of such a thing. Jefferies (ass that he is), could see the game running away and brought on fresh legs up front and the Spanish waiter to inject some pace into the team and give them an outlet to stretch us.

Hughes, on the other hand, does nothing to consolidate the lead, allowing the opposition once again to find a way back in. How long does it take someone to realise that Stokes and Wotherspoon were having a stinker? Was he actually just sitting and hoping that the 'mavericks' were going to show an ounce of bottle without any evidence to back it up?

I respect the fact that we were down to the bare bones and couldn't really take off Miller or any defensive players for lack of options, but we could and should have taken off maybe Stokes for Benji, just to give us some fresh legs and a little bit of composure (there was a hell of a lot of space in the last ten minutes if we hadn't panicked).

Then you could've put brought on Galbraith for Riordan just to run at them. I was resigned to the fact that we were only going to pump it forward but at least put on the players that can actually run for it rather than groan every time Nish flicks it on to thin air and Stokes turns like an elephant.

Then you could've put Cregg on for Wotherspoon and asked him to help out Thicot and for Rankin to do the same with Murray because that's where the danger was coming from every time.

That would've left us with two solid-ish banks of 4 to absorb the Hearts pressure and an actually chance of holding it up and stretching them on the counter.

I've stuck behind Hughes but the fact that he doesn't seem capable of changing the game or moving away from his static 4-3-3 when sussed out is very worrying. The players are so static and cowardly with no one looking for the ball and everyone trying their best to get rid that it's sickening to watch. I'm now at the stage where I'm basically hoping in vain that he has a sudden eureka moment that has so far evaded him and sees what everyone else can.

I suppose I should still credit Rankin for his first half performance, he showed a lot of heart and wanted it more than anyone else on the pitch. Respect to Hogg as well for gritting it out - but that's about all the positivity I can muster. Okay, maybe one more: Hearts weren't better than us by any great margin, it was just the little things about mangers being proactive and players showing a little composure and getting it out wide that won them the game. Both keepers looked as shaky as a bomb about to blow off but Hearts were the ones that actually put the ball in the box and made things happen.

houston1875
01-05-2010, 02:48 PM
Hughes only had to look to his right to see a basic example of such a thing. Jefferies (ass that he is), could see the game running away and brought on fresh legs up front and the Spanish waiter to inject some pace into the team and give them an outlet to stretch us.

Hughes, on the other hand, does nothing to consolidate the lead, allowing the opposition once again to find a way back in. How long does it take someone to realise that Stokes and Wotherspoon were having a stinker? Was he actually just sitting and hoping that the 'mavericks' were going to show an ounce of bottle without any evidence to back it up?

I respect the fact that we were down to the bare bones and couldn't really take off Miller or any defensive players for lack of options, but we could and should have taken off maybe Stokes for Benji, just to give us some fresh legs and a little bit of composure (there was a hell of a lot of space in the last ten minutes if we hadn't panicked).

Then you could've put brought on Galbraith for Riordan just to run at them. I was resigned to the fact that we were only going to pump it forward but at least put on the players that can actually run for it rather than groan every time Nish flicks it on to thin air and Stokes turns like an elephant.

Then you could've put Cregg on for Wotherspoon and asked him to help out Thicot and for Rankin to do the same with Murray because that's where the danger was coming from every time.

That would've left us with two solid-ish banks of 4 to absorb the Hearts pressure and an actually chance of holding it up and stretching them on the counter.

I've stuck behind Hughes but the fact that he doesn't seem capable of changing the game or moving away from his static 4-3-3 when sussed out is very worrying. The players are so static and cowardly with no one looking for the ball and everyone trying their best to get rid that it's sickening to watch. I'm now at the stage where I'm basically hoping in vain that he has a sudden eureka moment that has so far evaded him and sees what everyone else can.

I suppose I should still credit Rankin for his first half performance, he showed a lot of heart and wanted it more than anyone else on the pitch. Respect to Hogg as well for gritting it out - but that's about all the positivity I can muster. Okay, maybe one more: Hearts weren't better than us by any great margin, it was just the little things about mangers being proactive and players showing a little composure and getting it out wide that won them the game. Both keepers looked as shaky as a bomb about to blow off but Hearts were the ones that actually put the ball in the box and made things happen.

agree with the stokes comment,but lotta folk on here wont like it?

heidtheba
01-05-2010, 03:27 PM
I agree too,
Stokes didn't make any extra 'special' difference with any of his chances, he didn't do much with the ball and I thought it was one of his poorest performances.
I did get a bit excited when I saw ESPN put Riordan and Stokes up front together but that didn't seem to happen.