View Full Version : Chops

HibbyAndy
30-04-2010, 03:16 PM
Aken you can fry them..But can you grill them or oven them tae?:greengrin

Hurry up am starvin :hilarious

MSK
30-04-2010, 03:18 PM
Aken you can fry them..But can you grill them or oven them tae?:greengrin

Hurry up am starvin :hilariousMy fave food Andy ..grill them mate ..fantastico !!!! :thumbsup:

HibbyAndy
30-04-2010, 03:20 PM
My fave food Andy ..grill them mate ..fantastico !!!! :thumbsup:

Nice yin cheers K :thumbsup::thumbsup:

How long?:greengrin

Danderhall Hibs
30-04-2010, 03:26 PM
Nice yin cheers K :thumbsup::thumbsup:

How long?:greengrin

Till they're brown mate - be about 15/20 minutes depending on how thick they are.

HibbyAndy
30-04-2010, 03:26 PM
Till they're brown mate - be about 15/20 minutes depending on how thick they are.

Nice yin.Cheers mate :aok:

MSK
30-04-2010, 03:35 PM
Nice yin.Cheers mate :aok:As Danders says ..cook them how ye like them ..:thumbsup:

Enjoy ya lucky git ...:greengrin

HibbyAndy
30-04-2010, 03:38 PM
As Danders says ..cook them how ye like them ..:thumbsup:

Enjoy ya lucky git ...:greengrin

A will, Aw three of them :yum yum::drool:

:greengrin:thumbsup:

MSK
30-04-2010, 03:38 PM
A will, Aw three of them :yum yum::drool:

:greengrin:thumbsup::grr:.....:greengrin

Leicester Fan
30-04-2010, 07:12 PM
Grilled chops are too dry. You should of fried them.

speedy_gonzales
30-04-2010, 07:39 PM
Nah, yer all wrong, give them a dust bath in some flour that has been seasoned, then slap on a roasting BBQ, the healthy juices start to run and cook off the flour, resulting in a tender moist cut with a crusty outside!!

DH1875
30-04-2010, 07:41 PM
Best way to cook chops is in the oven. Wrap them in tin foil with chopped onions, some salt and pepper and a dash of olive oil. Then bang them in the oven at gas mark 4 for about an hour and a half. Two hours if cooking more than 4.

Sergey
30-04-2010, 08:02 PM
Best way to cook chops is in the oven. Wrap them in tin foil with chopped onions, some salt and pepper and a dash of olive oil. Then bang them in the oven at gas mark 4 for about an hour and a half. Two hours if cooking more than 4.

I concur, with what is a crappy cut of meat.

The problem with pork chops is the fact that the fat doesn't render back into the meat when grilling or BBQing. It's either lost in the pan or the coals and the result is dried out pig flesh.

If time allows, scoring the flesh and marinading helps (garlic, rosemary and EVOO is a good base to start with) and I like to remove the foil for the last part of the cook to crisp up the skin.

As an aside, pork belly is a fine, economical cut and is far superior than a chop.

HibbyAndy
30-04-2010, 08:10 PM
I concur, with what is a crappy cut of meat.

The problem with pork chops is the fact that the fat doesn't render back into the meat when grilling or BBQing. It's either lost in the pan or the coals and the result is dried out pig flesh.

If time allows, scoring the flesh and marinading helps (garlic, rosemary and EVOO is a good base to start with) and I like to remove the foil for the last part of the cook to crisp up the skin.

As an aside, pork belly is a fine, economical cut and is far superior than a chop.

That made me hungry reading that :greengrin

Chops tomorrow again a hink :cool2:

speedy_gonzales
01-05-2010, 09:19 AM

:confused: Each to their own obviously, but there was me thinking the fat did indeed render, drip onto the hot coals then atomise back up and baste the chops with the smokey fatty goodness??
I'm not exactly a BBQ freak but I have one of those outside gas ranges that I use all year round, not so I can stand around it with a can of fosters, but for the taste and general ease of cooking. I don't do black bangers. I poach fish in parcels, chicken and fig kebabs, handmade venison burgers, greek style pork & toasted pitta etc. I've never been able to replicate the taste/flavour/succulence with my grill/oven.
But hey ho, everyone's taste is different I s'pose?

---------- Post added at 10:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:18 AM ----------

I don't do black bangers

Oh aye, the above is NOT a racist comment!

Sergey
01-05-2010, 02:39 PM
:confused: Each to their own obviously, but there was me thinking the fat did indeed render, drip onto the hot coals then atomise back up and baste the chops with the smokey fatty goodness??
I'm not exactly a BBQ freak but I have one of those outside gas ranges that I use all year round, not so I can stand around it with a can of fosters, but for the taste and general ease of cooking. I don't do black bangers. I poach fish in parcels, chicken and fig kebabs, handmade venison burgers, greek style pork & toasted pitta etc. I've never been able to replicate the taste/flavour/succulence with my grill/oven.
But hey ho, everyone's taste is different I s'pose?

---------- Post added at 10:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:18 AM ----------

I've had many discussions on this subject over the years and the consensus from folks with a greater understanding of thermodynamics than I, is that fat and juices will always wick away from the heat source, and because of this, you should cook with the fat facing the heat source. Look at a steak or a burger when cooking on your gasser or under the grill.

On the subject of chops, the fat is on the edge and will will simply drip into the coals and not pass through the meat. The subsequent smoke wont add any moisture back into the meat (possibly a little flavour, though) as the meat will be sealed.

Good on you for 365 Q'ing. I often brave the elements and spark-up. I have a Weber Smokey Mountain charcoal smoker that runs at a constant temperature regardless of the climate.

HibbyAndy
15-08-2013, 08:16 PM
Had to dig this up to see the best way to make Chops :greengrin

Scouse Hibee
16-08-2013, 10:13 AM
Depends on the chops, I always grill my lamb chops but if I have a full or half loin of lamb chops then roasting in the oven cannot be beaten IMO. As for pork chops I have numerous ways of cooking them including frying, oven, or my favourite in a pan with cherry tomatoes, red peppers, chilli & garlic sauce and whatever else I find in the fridge that I feel may compliment the flavours.

Future17
16-08-2013, 11:40 AM
Had to dig this up to see the best way to make Chops :greengrin

Surely it's not been 3 years since you got in about some chops?!?

MSK
16-08-2013, 12:35 PM
Surely it's not been 3 years since you got in about some chops?!?They are still under the grill ..he doesnae know how tae turn the thing on ..:greengrin

My chops ..finely chop some chilli's & an onion, once chops are nearly done, lob them into a frying pan ..add chilli's & onion....then add a dollop o squeezy honey .....yum !!!