PDA

View Full Version : I love you, baby... (NHC)

PapillonVert
29-04-2010, 11:14 PM
Just back from Craven Cottage - via the pub for a celebratory bottle - and I have to say, well done Fulham!
What a great night. One goal down at half-time. Then an equaliser....then a second goal.... TOTAL UPROAR...then hold on, hold on.

And then THE FINAL WHISTLE....

Just great.....oh how I wish I could experience this with my dearly beloved Hbees! Perhaps one day I will.

Bishop Hibee
29-04-2010, 11:21 PM
Great performance by Fulham. They've been brilliant all competition. I know they are bankrolled by Al-Fayed but as the camera at full time focussed on one old boy with tears rolling down his cheeks you realised what it means to the fans who saw them through thick and thin.

I hope they can go one better than Middlesbrough did and win it.

PapillonVert
29-04-2010, 11:27 PM
Great performance by Fulham. They've been brilliant all competition. I know they are bankrolled by Al-Fayed but as the camera at full time focussed on one old boy with tears rolling down his cheeks you realised what it means to the fans who saw them through thick and thin.

They just seem to have ordinary folks as fans - on the Tube once I met a woman who said she had been going for 50 years.

And, even their "yoof" are a cut above. Tonight the young guy next to me accidentally trod on my foot at the end and apologised to me at least 3 times!!

CallumHibs07
29-04-2010, 11:36 PM
Brilliant - always liked Fulham:thumbsup:

Haymaker
30-04-2010, 02:29 AM
Top result for Fulham, I used to go watch them for a while due to a friend and I hope the old guy who used to sit next to me is still going because he will be loving this.

Forza Fred
30-04-2010, 09:31 AM
Fulham's goalie Mark Schwarzer knew all about when Hamburg robbed Hibs in the late 60's in the Fairs Cup prior to taking the field last night.

For those who don't know it involved the Hamburg goalkeeper wearing a green strip, and Hibs having 3 goals chalked off...by memory two for the linesman signalling offside when he saw a green shirt nearest the goal line.

Hakim Sar
30-04-2010, 10:25 AM
Jean Tigana and John Collins deserve all the credit for last night.

see what can be achieved when you work as hard on your 6pack as good ol' JC

JimBHibees
30-04-2010, 10:32 AM
Fulham's goalie Mark Schwarzer knew all about when Hamburg robbed Hibs in the late 60's in the Fairs Cup prior to taking the field last night.

For those who don't know it involved the Hamburg goalkeeper wearing a green strip, and Hibs having 3 goals chalked off...by memory two for the linesman signalling offside when he saw a green shirt nearest the goal line.

Was at that game. Can remember a few bottles getting lobbed on the pitch due to the anger of the crowd.

IWasThere2016
30-04-2010, 12:23 PM
Just back from Craven Cottage - via the pub for a celebratory bottle - and I have to say, well done Fulham!
What a great night. One goal down at half-time. Then an equaliser....then a second goal.... TOTAL UPROAR...then hold on, hold on.

And then THE FINAL WHISTLE....

Just great.....oh how I wish I could experience this with my dearly beloved Hbees! Perhaps one day I will.

Musta been great to be there - I was roaring them on in front of the telly and it was brill! :top marks

Phil D. Rolls
30-04-2010, 01:03 PM

Is this right?

Bishop Hibee
30-04-2010, 01:14 PM
Is this right?

Yes.

Phil D. Rolls
30-04-2010, 01:23 PM
Yes.

Fair enough, I know about the thin, but I hadn't realised that Fulham had spells of thick in their past as well.

heretoday
30-04-2010, 06:56 PM
They had a good side in the 60s. Haynes, Robson, Leggat, Les Barrett.....

I saw them with me old guv'nor at the Cottage. I was so small I had to stand on a booster and hang over the trackside wall. There were kids with huge rattles all along the line.

They got stuffed 4-1 by the Arsenal - Joe Baker getting a hat trick.

PapillonVert
30-04-2010, 09:29 PM
They had a good side in the 60s. Haynes, Robson, Leggat, Les Barrett.....

I saw them with me old guv'nor at the Cottage. I was so small I had to stand on a booster and hang over the trackside wall. There were kids with huge rattles all along the line.

They got stuffed 4-1 by the Arsenal - Joe Baker getting a hat trick.).

And they had a player (Cohen) who was a member of the 1966 World Cup winning team!

FA Cup Finalists 1975.

Glory-hunters need not apply (oh so like our own dear Hibernians).

Jonnyboy
30-04-2010, 09:40 PM

Will never forget that night Fred - we woz robbed and no mistake

As for Fulham I am delighted they've reached the final. To overcome teams like Shaktar, Juve and Hamburg is a phenomenal feat and it's all credit to Roy Hodgson and a very committed group of players :thumbsup:

PapillonVert
30-04-2010, 09:52 PM
Will never forget that night Fred - we woz robbed and no mistake

As for Fulham I am delighted they've reached the final. To overcome teams like Shaktar, Juve and Hamburg is a phenomenal feat and it's all credit to Roy Hodgson and a very committed group of players :thumbsup:

John, last night there was a group of Hamburg fans very close to us (down in the corner of the Riverside stand) and there was some guy there who seemed to be very popular, i.e. all the Hamburg fans queueing up to shake his hand and have their photos taken with him.

Now, I couldn't see who he was but he was of an age that could make him ages with that old Hamburg warrior Uwe Seeler. Somehow, I don't think it was him but you never know!! This guy had a shock of white hair (Uwe was a bit folically challenged IIRC???). The fans all seemed to know him and revere him FWIW!

Jonnyboy
30-04-2010, 09:57 PM
John, last night there was a group of Hamburg fans very close to us (down in the corner of the Riverside stand) and there was some guy there who seemed to be very popular, i.e. all the Hamburg fans queueing up to shake his hand and have their photos taken with him.

Now, I couldn't see who he was but he was of an age that could make him ages with that old Hamburg warrior Uwe Seeler. Somehow, I don't think it was him but you never know!! This guy had a shock of white hair (Uwe was a bit folically challenged IIRC???). The fans all seemed to know him and revere him FWIW!

Did he look like this J?

http://www.axentus.de/images/artists/uwe-seeler.jpg

PapillonVert
30-04-2010, 10:15 PM
Did he look like this J?

http://www.axentus.de/images/artists/uwe-seeler.jpg

Nah, John, even though I saw him mainly from the side and rear.

Knowledgeable toe blister has suggested Guenter Netzer???

Jonnyboy
30-04-2010, 10:18 PM
Nah, John, even though I saw him mainly from the side and rear.

Knowledgeable toe blister has suggested Guenter Netzer???

Possibly J. Don't think he ever played for Hamburg though

PapillonVert
30-04-2010, 10:23 PM
Possibly J. Don't think he ever played for Hamburg though

But he did manage them, though! Successfully by all accounts!

Jonnyboy
30-04-2010, 10:26 PM
But he did manage them, though! Successfully by all accounts!

That'll be it then :agree: :greengrin

PapillonVert
30-04-2010, 10:50 PM
That'll be it then :agree: :greengrin

3 Bundesliga titles and the European Cup.

Good enough for Hamburg, I suppose, but we Hibees expect sooooooo much more! from our managers :agree: