PDA

View Full Version : sunshine on leith

steviecarnie
29-04-2010, 07:04 PM
Just watching the beginning of the liverpool game and think it would be a good idea for hibs to play sunshine on leith as the teams come out on sat and at half time (esp if winning or 0-0) would make the atmosphere electric esp in the south with the yams so close.

Wotherspiniesta
29-04-2010, 07:21 PM
They did this at the last Derby at ER. (not at half time though)

Worked a treat!

:party::singing::notworthy:

HibeeMcGinn1
29-04-2010, 07:25 PM
with only the 3 stands wouldnt it sound a bit flat compared to the last time? would love it to happend and work but would be a bit strange no?

tbfhibs
29-04-2010, 07:37 PM
Play it at half time if were 5 up.

steviecarnie
29-04-2010, 07:39 PM
well lets face it with 4 stands its only 3 that sing it anyway,

yekimevol
29-04-2010, 08:16 PM
play it every week !!!! i miss it !!!!

also could we have a playlist like at man city where the fans vote for the songs to be played on each match day ? as well

RCNG
29-04-2010, 08:58 PM
should be played every week but most of us have to sing it, as much as i love to, but you end up looking like a tit if ur the only one rounf you

DH1875
29-04-2010, 10:29 PM

also could we have a playlist like at man city where the fans vote for the songs to be played on each match day ? as well

:thumbsup:.

Sir David Gray
29-04-2010, 10:41 PM

We had some sort of vote on matchday songs a number of months ago but I'm not sure that it came to anything.

gogs_t
29-04-2010, 11:05 PM
should be played every week but most of us have to sing it, as much as i love to, but you end up looking like a tit if ur the only one rounf you

Sorry, don't really agree with playing every week. The effect of the song is diluted if played in games such as (no disrespect to these teams) St Mirren, Killie. Works well in games against the yams and infirm - unless we're a couple of goals down!
And the reason it is diluted is linked to your second comment. Most of the crowd only sing in certain circumstances - big games or if we're winning well - and most people don't feel comfortable if those round them are not singing.

In the right atmosphere, the hairs still stand up on the back of my neck when hearing SOL - especially at a Proclaimers gig :thumbsup: :rockin:

MountcastleHibs
30-04-2010, 12:14 AM
Sorry, don't really agree with playing every week. The effect of the song is diluted if played in games such as (no disrespect to these teams) St Mirren, Killie. Works well in games against the yams and infirm - unless we're a couple of goals down!
And the reason it is diluted is linked to your second comment. Most of the crowd only sing in certain circumstances - big games or if we're winning well - and most people don't feel comfortable if those round them are not singing.

In the right atmosphere, the hairs still stand up on the back of my neck when hearing SOL - especially at a Proclaimers gig :thumbsup: :rockin:

I don't feel comfortable singing 'Hail, Hail', 'Glory, Glory', 'We are Hibernian FC' or any other song that we can belt out on a matchday from my seat in the West, never mind Sunshine on Leith on derby day.

East hopefully next year, where I can sing my heart out all I want :thumbsup:

cheltenhamhibee
30-04-2010, 01:23 AM
I don't feel comfortable singing 'Hail, Hail', 'Glory, Glory', 'We are Hibernian FC' or any other song that we can belt out on a matchday from my seat in the West, never mind Sunshine on Leith on derby day.

East hopefully next year, where I can sing my heart out all I want :thumbsup:

you shouldn't feel uncomfortable if you want to sing, belt it oot anyway, you never know you might encourage 1 or 2 to join in, and then maybe 1 or 2 more thereafter, it can only improve the atmosphere after all !!! or is that wishful thinking on my part ? :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Rory89
30-04-2010, 02:30 AM
I think the atmosphere will be brilliant on Saturday, yes the East Stand isn't there but the only place you could appreciate the noise of the east stand was inside it, it was such an old claustrophobic piece of crap (but still immense), that the noise seemed to just go around the east stand and stay there.

I kind of wish my seat was closer to middle of the South Stand and closer to the away support, I personally enjoy Parkhead and Ibrox away because (result depending) there's nothing better than giving a big GIRUY to a set of fans you despise.

Phil D. Rolls
30-04-2010, 07:12 AM
Just watching the beginning of the liverpool game and think it would be a good idea for hibs to play sunshine on leith as the teams come out on sat and at half time (esp if winning or 0-0) would make the atmosphere electric esp in the south with the yams so close.

Was there not a derby at ER last year, where we were trailing at half time, and the "stadium announcer" decided that playing SOL would fire the fans up? By the time they'd kicked off the second half, the supporters were all asleep.

Of course it worked against AEK Athens didn't it? Hairs on the back of the neck and all that stuff. Yep, the hairs were still standing up when they scored in the first minute of added time.

Most fans don't know the words of this song; they don't know the tune, and they can't keep time with it. SOL does the opposite of what is supposed to do and sucks the atmosphere out of the ground.

steviecarnie
30-04-2010, 10:16 AM
Most fans don't know the words of this song; they don't know the tune, and they can't keep time with it. SOL does the opposite of what is supposed to do and sucks the atmosphere out of the ground.

hmmm ok then every hibs fan i know, knows the words!

maybe the case was that the only people really singing it were in the east where the PA system never worked so u were relying on others to follow rather than hearing the song first hand.

bighairyfaeleith
30-04-2010, 10:26 AM
Was there not a derby at ER last year, where we were trailing at half time, and the "stadium announcer" decided that playing SOL would fire the fans up? By the time they'd kicked off the second half, the supporters were all asleep.

Of course it worked against AEK Athens didn't it? Hairs on the back of the neck and all that stuff. Yep, the hairs were still standing up when they scored in the first minute of added time.

Your kind of right, it's a song which works well when the fans are up for it. But when the heads are down, i.e. we are getting beat it doesn't do the trick of getting everyone involved. Especially at half time when most fans are away inside the stands for piss/pie/drink/fag/**** or whatever.

Great song but has to be played when we are winning and everyone is up for it.

Hibs On Tour
30-04-2010, 10:42 AM
As the teams are coming out please! Fires up our lot [including the players hopefully] and winds that lot up...

silverhibee
30-04-2010, 11:08 AM
As the teams are coming out please! Fires up our lot [including the players hopefully] and winds that lot up...

Deek and Nid agree. :thumbsup: :notworthy:

Diclonius
30-04-2010, 11:52 AM
Why don't we do the thing that Liverpool do, and cut the song out just as it gets to "..SUNSHINEEEEE ON LEEEEITH"? If the fans keep on going it'll be an amazing atmosphere. :agree:

bighairyfaeleith
30-04-2010, 12:00 PM
Why don't we do the thing that Liverpool do, and cut the song out just as it gets to "..SUNSHINEEEEE ON LEEEEITH"? If the fans keep on going it'll be an amazing atmosphere. :agree:

The problem is trying to time it well, you want it to get to the bit you mentioned just as the players come onto the pitch. If anything was to inspire the players it would be hearing that part being belted out by thousands of hibbys just as they come out of the tunnel. trouble is they will probably just start the song as they come out!!

Phil D. Rolls
30-04-2010, 01:02 PM
hmmm ok then every hibs fan i know, knows the words!

maybe the case was that the only people really singing it were in the east where the PA system never worked so u were relying on others to follow rather than hearing the song first hand.

Nah, I just think it's a crap football anthem. It's too slow, and too intricate a song for a mass sing along. I'm just fed up of listening to some guy behind me singing:

"dah dah
dah dah
hmmm hmmm hmm
m
eh
da
um
.....worth
my removal birth
eh
aye
while........
Sunshine of Leith
da da da da da...etc"

I very much doubt if there has been an occasion where it has actually spurred us on to victory.

Now, if only the Skids had been Hibs fans, then we could really have had a song to come out to.

gogs_t
30-04-2010, 03:01 PM
Now, if only the Skids had been Hibs fans, then we could really have had a song to come out to.

Now we're talking :agree: If only there was such a thing as the ideal world. Favourite band supporting my team :rockin:

It's probably the reason I have a soft spot for the Pars.