PDA

View Full Version : Mayweather - Mosley

Dashing Bob S
28-04-2010, 11:52 PM
This fight has so many elements, I'm not sure how it'll go.

Neither fighter likes getting hit; great for them but perhaps not so good for a viewing spectacle.

I wonder how many more fights Mayweather has left in him.

Marabou Stork
29-04-2010, 12:51 AM
This fight has so many elements, I'm not sure how it'll go.

Neither fighter likes getting hit; great for them but perhaps not so good for a viewing spectacle.

I wonder how many more fights Mayweather has left in him.

It'll no doubt be a fascinating contest, as Mosley looks like one of the only people in the sport who could possibly match Mayweather's speed, but I still think Floyd will be that bit quicker, that bit sharper and box that bit more intelligently to outpoint Mosley.

I think we might only see another one or two fights from Floyd. The longer he continues, he's going to be putting his unbeaten record under some serious pressure and I don't particularly think his heart's really been in it for the last few years anyway.

Steve-O
29-04-2010, 08:21 AM
I'm expecting it to be dull I must admit. Hopefully not though.

Pretty Boy
30-04-2010, 09:03 AM
A lot depends on whether Floyd comes to fight or if he is happy to defend tightly, counter punch and edge a points decision down the stretch. This seems to have been his plans recently against the like of De La Hoya, Marquez and to an extent Hatton(although one beautiful 'check hook' earned him a stoppage in that one). As Pauli Malignaggi said recently Floyd Mayweather is a very cerebral fighter who will make adjustments during the fight if he has to

Mosely is to all intents and purposes a boxer-puncher. He is very fast, Mayweather is blindingly fast. Whilst there is no doubt Mosely is a talented boxer, he has in the past been outboxed, Miguel Cotto outboxed him for long spells of their fight. Again Mosely was very good against Margarito but one has to wonder what frame of mind Margarito was in having been robbed of his 'secret weapon' only minuted before the fight.

I get the feeling this fight might be one more for the purist and those who appreciate good technical boxing as opposed to the casual fan who wants to see a lot of shots and quick KOs. For me Floyd Mayweather wins by reasonably close UD. Either way i would love to see the winner of this fight take on Manny Pacquiao with no weight stipulations, that would be a fight to get really excited about.

seanraff07
30-04-2010, 09:08 AM
What day and time is this fight taking place?

lugz
30-04-2010, 01:56 PM
Sunday morning 2am

Dashing Bob S
30-04-2010, 02:04 PM
A lot depends on whether Floyd comes to fight or if he is happy to defend tightly, counter punch and edge a points decision down the stretch. This seems to have been his plans recently against the like of De La Hoya, Marquez and to an extent Hatton(although one beautiful 'check hook' earned him a stoppage in that one). As Pauli Malignaggi said recently Floyd Mayweather is a very cerebral fighter who will make adjustments during the fight if he has to

Mosely is to all intents and purposes a boxer-puncher. He is very fast, Mayweather is blindingly fast. Whilst there is no doubt Mosely is a talented boxer, he has in the past been outboxed, Miguel Cotto outboxed him for long spells of their fight. Again Mosely was very good against Margarito but one has to wonder what frame of mind Margarito was in having been robbed of his 'secret weapon' only minuted before the fight.

I get the feeling this fight might be one more for the purist and those who appreciate good technical boxing as opposed to the casual fan who wants to see a lot of shots and quick KOs. For me Floyd Mayweather wins by reasonably close UD. Either way i would love to see the winner of this fight take on Manny Pacquiao with no weight stipulations, that would be a fight to get really excited about.

I'm with you there, FH. I fancy Mayweather to scrape out one more payday against Pacman by UD. But if he has lost something, he could be vulnerable. it depends what he has left in terms of slill, speed and desire.

silverhibee
01-05-2010, 07:59 PM
Any idea what time the fight may start in the early morning.

Www1875hfc
01-05-2010, 08:02 PM
programme starts on sky sports 1 @ 2 a.m.

silverhibee
01-05-2010, 08:11 PM
programme starts on sky sports 1 @ 2 a.m.

Yeah i know that , but what time do you think it will take place at 2, 3, or 4 o'clock in the morning or later than that.

Hibbie_Cameron
01-05-2010, 10:41 PM
Yeah i know that , but what time do you think it will take place at 2, 3, or 4 o'clock in the morning or later than that.

Going by past experiences the big fights usally start about 4ish

Pretty Boy
02-05-2010, 10:11 AM
So....... Where do the Mayweather critics go now?

The last remaining argument was that he had never beat a 'name' welterweight, was running scared of Mosely. Well he didn't beat Mosely, he destroyed him. Controlled the 1st round, had an absolute nightmare in the 2nd. He adapted and won pretty much every other round, give or take 1 or 2. Took 2 seriously clean shots and his chin stood the test. He looked sharp, more skillful than ever and his heart looked really in it.

Watching Mayweather last night i see no way that Pacquiao can beat him, if over 12 rounds he struggled to break through Joshua Clotteys defence, how is he going to unlock a defensive master like Floyd Maywether, especially a defensive master who has proven he has a solid chin.

Since90+2
02-05-2010, 01:28 PM
Thought it was a masterclass last night by Floyd.

Showed he has the chin aswell as the shots he took in the 2nd would have dropped most Welters , especially from a proven puncher like Mosley.

I honestly cant see anyway how PacMan could beat him and I think Freddie Roach knows it. Roach has went on record to say he didnt want any of Mosley for PacMan at Welter as he was too strong at the weight. What must he be thinking after last night?

Floyd Mayweather. The standout fighter of his generation and an all time great IMO.

IWasThere2016
02-05-2010, 02:14 PM
So....... Where do the Mayweather critics go now?

The last remaining argument was that he had never beat a 'name' welterweight, was running scared of Mosely. Well he didn't beat Mosely, he destroyed him. Controlled the 1st round, had an absolute nightmare in the 2nd. He adapted and won pretty much every other round, give or take 1 or 2. Took 2 seriously clean shots and his chin stood the test. He looked sharp, more skillful than ever and his heart looked really in it.

Watching Mayweather last night i see no way that Pacquiao can beat him, if over 12 rounds he struggled to break through Joshua Clotteys defence, how is he going to unlock a defensive master like Floyd Maywether, especially a defensive master who has proven he has a solid chin.

Mayweather wobbled big time in the second round - amazing that he stayed up and never mind recover to totally control the fight. Pacman will be worried about that IMHO.

Pretty Boy
02-05-2010, 02:21 PM
Mayweather wobbled big time in the second round - amazing that he stayed up and never mind recover to totally control the fight. Pacman will be worried about that IMHO.

I thought he was gone after the 2nd shot landed. He seemed for a few seconds to be totally unsure how to react. He's been hit like that so few times he didn't realise his best bet was to spoil for a minute or 2. After that though it was business as usual, worked the jab, rolled the shoulder, started to set the feet and look for the KO and picked of Mosely all night with blistering speed. Pacquaio must be worried after seeing Mayweather take the hardest shots he has ever taken cleanly and not only survive but show a solid chin and then dominate 10 rounds on the spin and look so fresh he could have gone a few more.

Dashing Bob S
02-05-2010, 07:01 PM
I thought he was gone after the 2nd shot landed. He seemed for a few seconds to be totally unsure how to react. He's been hit like that so few times he didn't realise his best bet was to spoil for a minute or 2. After that though it was business as usual, worked the jab, rolled the shoulder, started to set the feet and look for the KO and picked of Mosely all night with blistering speed. Pacquaio must be worried after seeing Mayweather take the hardest shots he has ever taken cleanly and not only survive but show a solid chin and then dominate 10 rounds on the spin and look so fresh he could have gone a few more.

Yes, I agree completely. Was surprised, he seemed faster than ever and showed after the second round jeopardy that he was going to come through it. I think Mosely, at 39, seemed to sense that he wasn't going to stop him, when it got to about 4 or 5 and Mayweather had settled right back into his dominant mode.

It was a very convincing performance, which I think must make him hot favourite against MP now, assuming they get together reasonably soon.