PDA

View Full Version : terrible corners

ski1875
28-04-2010, 08:02 PM
I brought up this point whilst getting off track on another thread but how pathetic is our corners and similar set pieces?. . . players simply sit on top of the goalkeeper in the hope that one of rankins many poor deliveries gets lucky! we should be lining up on or just inside the 18yard and attacking the cross balls!?

bingo70
28-04-2010, 08:06 PM
I brought up this point whilst getting off track on another thread but how pathetic is our corners and similar set pieces?. . . players simply sit on top of the goalkeeper in the hope that one of rankins many poor deliveries gets lucky! we should be lining up on or just inside the 18yard and attacking the cross balls!?

on a similar note, i can't believe we keep trying short corners when they never work, they're absolute pish.

In fairness loads of teams try this a lot and no one ever seems good at them.

seanraff07
28-04-2010, 08:10 PM
on a similar note, i can't believe we keep trying short corners when they never work, they're absolute pish.

I agree, i can remember on Sunday Rankin played it short to Wotherspoon then he stopped the ball and Rankin hit it off the defender, aren't the whole point in these cause the player would prefer to get layed off, seems a bit pointless to me if he's just going to hit the ball when it's still anyway and under more pressure.

Jonnyboy
28-04-2010, 09:32 PM

Even Rankin's long corners are short most of the time :greengrin

While we're at it can I just raise the subject of throw ins which we are pish at both taking and defending :greengrin

3pm
28-04-2010, 09:37 PM
Even Rankin's long corners are short most of the time :greengrin

While we're at it can I just raise the subject of throw ins which we are pish at both taking and defending :greengrin

Hibs cannae ever defend John! How many times over the years have we looked good?! Not a lot!

Wembley67
28-04-2010, 09:42 PM
When did we last score a header direct from a corner?? Jones in the final :rolleyes:

bingo70
28-04-2010, 09:49 PM
When did we last score a header direct from a corner?? Jones in the final :rolleyes:

Did Bamba no get one against falkirk?

Definately think we could do with a striker thats more of a threat in the air, even just to come on when we're chasing a game.

Hibbie_Cameron
28-04-2010, 10:04 PM
Stokes at Parkhead was the last time we scored from one. Apart from that i can only think of Bamba at Falkirk in week 2 of the season

monktonharp
28-04-2010, 10:24 PM
Iwould like to see a bit more inventive stuff with our long range 40 yard free kicks too . they rely on DR most of the time (he is good at it ) but even when it is obviously a bit out of range, nowt comes of it,other than over the bar or easy for the goalie.

Hainan Hibs
28-04-2010, 10:30 PM
The lovely routine of getting the furthest away player to take the corner, building up tension, and then smacking it against the first man is something I'll never stop loving:agree:

Also we are the only team that somehow manages to defend it's own throw-ins.

hibsdaft
28-04-2010, 10:36 PM
anyone see Barca, with eight seconds to go in their European Cup Semi Final, 2nd Leg choose to play a short corner rather than whip the ball in for one last throw of the dice tonight?

GloryGlory
29-04-2010, 08:04 AM
Just imagine what our corners will be like next season, when the pitch is 4 metres wider! :wink: :wink:

Golden Bear
29-04-2010, 08:06 AM

It was no coincidence that big Rab's headed goals from corners went in to rapid decline following Thommo's transfer to the Huns.

We can say what we like against KT but he could take a mean corner and we've never managed to replace that particular skill.

Golden Bear
29-04-2010, 08:07 AM
anyone see Barca, with eight seconds to go in their European Cup Semi Final, 2nd Leg choose to play a short corner rather than whip the ball in for one last throw of the dice tonight?

:agree:

Noticed that - I can only imagine what their fans would be saying at that point!

Keith_M
29-04-2010, 09:44 AM
If you decide to whip the corner straight into the box, who's going to be on the end of it? Considering the size of most CHs, we'd need someone of reasonable size.

As we're continually being told that isn't part of our only tall striker's game, I'm wondering who exactly that would be. Could it be that we'd be better of with a striker who is actually a threat in such situations?

:dunno:

Andy74
29-04-2010, 09:46 AM
One reason I wouldn't mind Kyle signing. Since Killen was around we haven't had a centre forward who could consistently get on the end of crosses or corners.

Our corners are so poor because we have to try something which doesn't involve lumping the ball into the box as we don't have anyone remotely close to being able to attack it.