PDA

View Full Version : Stupid - Just a Dundee United

CentreLine
28-04-2010, 05:02 PM
Item in the Scotsman today reads as follows

"Dundee United fans watchin BBC2 documentary WELCOME TO LAGOS got a shock when it emerged the Nigerian slang term for an idiot is 'Dundee United'.
A man talking about newcomers to the African city said "if you are a fool, they will learn you how to get sense. If you are a Dundee United, when they start to pour s*** on you, you will get sense."
Apparently the term came about after Dundee United embarked on a miserable tour of Nigeria in 1972, when they played five friendlies and won only one. Thereafter a 'Dundee United' was someone of low intelligence."

:faf:

Hainan Hibs
28-04-2010, 05:05 PM
:faf::faf::faf:

MSK
28-04-2010, 05:07 PM
Item in the Scotsman today reads as follows

"Dundee United fans watchin BBC2 documentary WELCOME TO LAGOS got a shock when it emerged the Nigerian slang term for an idiot is 'Dundee United'.
A man talking about newcomers to the African city said "if you are a fool, they will learn you how to get sense. If you are a Dundee United, when they start to pour s*** on you, you will get sense."
Apparently the term came about after Dundee United embarked on a miserable tour of Nigeria in 1972, when they played five friendlies and won only one. Thereafter a 'Dundee United' was someone of low intelligence."

:faf:I watched that & i heard Dundee utd being mentioned but didnt hear the meaning of it ..until you posted it ...:greengrin

DH1875
28-04-2010, 05:22 PM
If its true its very :faf:.

Disc O'Dave
28-04-2010, 06:10 PM
Imagine the shame of being in Africa, and somebody shouting "Jambo, Dundee United" at you....

monktonharp
28-04-2010, 11:23 PM
Ithink the word jambo means hello,in Ke-swahili language doesn't it?

heretoday
29-04-2010, 12:31 AM
I watched that & i heard Dundee utd being mentioned but didnt hear the meaning of it ..until you posted it ...:greengrin

I saw that too and couldn't believe it! The remark seemed so out of context.

It was an excellent docu and I am very interested in the series.

Steve-O
29-04-2010, 08:41 AM
:faf:

Sandy
29-04-2010, 09:09 AM
Ithink the word jambo means hello,in Ke-swahili language doesn't it?

It does indeed :agree: Been to Kenya a couple of times and picked up a little Swahili, Haberi Gani ?

joe breezy
29-04-2010, 09:18 AM
I love the Welcome to Lagos series, shows real resilience in these characters..

I love it even more with this revelation... :greengrin

Lucius Apuleius
29-04-2010, 11:38 AM
Only been in and out of Nigeria for 38 years, lived there the last 9 or so and never heard it yet.

heretoday
29-04-2010, 01:37 PM
You have to hand it to the punters in that floating slum. They eke out a living all right. Of course we are only seeing the articulate, successful ones.