PDA

View Full Version : The Third Eye

heretoday
27-04-2010, 03:37 PM
Continuing the debate about using camera evidence to settle onfield decisions, I submit the following ideas.

1) If the ref thinks it's a penalty the decision goes upstairs automatically
2) If a goal is scored the decision goes upstairs automatically

This would serve to take some of the pressure off the ref.
It wouldn't hold up the game unduly.
It would cut out offside goals.

The Third Eye need not even be at the match. Thus we could eliminate intimidation from the likes of Fergie, Wenger or the Old Firm!

One thing is certain - something has to be done.

Scouse Hibee
27-04-2010, 03:40 PM
Nah leave it as it is, we'd having nothing to moan about otherwise.

JE89
27-04-2010, 03:46 PM
Continuing the debate about using camera evidence to settle onfield decisions, I submit the following ideas.

2) If a goal is scored the decision goes upstairs automatically

This would serve to take some of the pressure off the ref.
It wouldn't hold up the game unduly.
It would cut out offside goals.

The Third Eye need not even be at the match. Thus we could eliminate intimidation from the likes of Fergie, Wenger or the Old Firm!

One thing is certain - something has to be done.
When attending football the best thing for me is the rush when a goal is scored. We go mental. It would annoy me after every goal waiting to see if the goal will stand or not.

Referees are grown men and shouldn't be intimadated by managers anyway, this is their personal problem and shouldn't be solved with the introduction of video refereeing. All in my opinion of course.

jdships
27-04-2010, 03:56 PM
When attending football the best thing for me is the rush when a goal is scored. We go mental. It would annoy me after every goal waiting to see if the goal will stand or not.

Referees are grown men and shouldn't be intimadated by managers anyway, this is their personal problem and shouldn't be solved with the introduction of video refereeing. All in my opinion of course.

Fair post !!
Says it all for me - I have always found that things even out over a season

:thumbsup:

steviecarnie
27-04-2010, 03:58 PM

somehow cant see fergie or wenger sprinting up to the press boxes in Ot or Emirates to reminstrate with "the third eye" so it can be in the ground. but not sure on every decision just ones the referee feels he needs help with, ie the birmingham villa pen on sunday.

The main change id like to see in all countries/europe/international football, is the ref being accountable and if has made a glaring mistake has to come out and give his reasons for it, this hiding behind a veil of not talking is what really annoys me, also how come its the only profession where critism is not allowed......?

heretoday
27-04-2010, 04:03 PM

Yup. But in the vast majority of instances the goal would stand and you'd never hear a cheep from the Third Eye.

Unless the goal was offside or illegal in some other way. In which case, it's not a goal, no?

1875godsgift
27-04-2010, 04:04 PM

That's a very good point, it would kill the atmosphere.

You can imagine the scenario - Nish volleys in a beauty from outside of the penalty box, everybody looks at each other and holds their breath, your mate goes " Ah'll just go for a quick p!sh while we're waitin ".
Goal given, a few muted cheers and handshakes and that's it, excitement gone!

A better idea I think would be to give the manager or captain one shout per half for any situation, yellow/red card, penalty, free kick, corner etc. and that's their lot, so they'd have to use it wisely.

Not sure about a goal though, because of the above reason, and that's probably the most important!

heretoday
27-04-2010, 04:09 PM

You can imagine the scenario - Nish volleys in a beauty from outside of the penalty box, everybody looks at each other and holds their breath, your mate goes " Ah'll just go for a quick p!sh while we're waitin ".

A better idea I think would be to give the manager or captain one shout per half for any situation, yellow/red card, penalty, free kick, corner etc. and that's their lot, so they'd have to use it wisely.

Not sure about a goal though, because of the above reason, and that's probably the most important!

I've thought about the quota of appeals solution but I reckon that could lead to delays when teams decide to use their "shout" regardless of whether it's justified. What I'm trying to do is take the power and influence away from the clubs as much as possible.

1875godsgift
27-04-2010, 04:22 PM
I've thought about the quota of appeals solution but I reckon that could lead to delays when teams decide to use their "shout" regardless of whether it's justified. What I'm trying to do is take the power and influence away from the clubs as much as possible.
That's true, I suppose they could use it to waste time, or kill the pace of a game if it suited them, and undoubtedly that would happen. But if they only had 2, or even 1 shout each per match then they'd have to think carefully ( but quickly! ) before they used it?

Rossco442
27-04-2010, 04:39 PM
That's true, I suppose they could use it to waste time, or kill the pace of a game if it suited them, and undoubtedly that would happen. But if they only had 2, or even 1 shout each per match then they'd have to think carefully ( but quickly! ) before they used it?

You would inevitably have teams using their "shout" if an opposition player is through on goal. Easily solved by saying the ball has to be out of play for a claim to be made I suppose.

1875godsgift
27-04-2010, 04:47 PM
You would inevitably have teams using their "shout" if an opposition player is through on goal. Easily solved by saying the ball has to be out of play for a claim to be made I suppose.
They would definitely have to wait for the ball to be out of play. It would go a long way to stop referees making delibarately biased decisions, but then I suppose once a team has used all its shouts the ref could do what the **** he wants.....

Bollox, back to the drawing board!
:greengrin

heretoday
27-04-2010, 04:50 PM
Let's face it. They're all "at it" when it comes to the penalty box.

My solution would at least cut out the Henry goal v Ireland and dubious penalties like the one awarded yesterday to Villa v Birmingham, although I enjoyed McLeish's bleeped reaction!.

Hibee_Rab
27-04-2010, 08:59 PM

You are going to have to keep imagining either way:wink:

bobbyhibs1983
27-04-2010, 09:37 PM
Im unsure bout this idea to be honest.I know it l help solve some problems but lets say the thread starters 1st option

Now if say there is a handball or soemthing else that the ref think there is need to go upstairs then what happens?does the game stop?what happens if the game goes on for a few seconds,or however long it takes to get the upstairs view?

what if there is a claim for a pen when somone falls over in the box, the keeper catchs the ball, punts it up feild, a player is 1 on 1 with the other teams keeper for example?

heretoday
27-04-2010, 10:31 PM
Im unsure bout this idea to be honest.I know it l help solve some problems but lets say the thread starters 1st option

Now if say there is a handball or soemthing else that the ref think there is need to go upstairs then what happens?does the game stop?what happens if the game goes on for a few seconds,or however long it takes to get the upstairs view?

what if there is a claim for a pen when somone falls over in the box, the keeper catchs the ball, punts it up feild, a player is 1 on 1 with the other teams keeper for example?

I say again. If the ref thinks it is a pen the decision goes upstairs. End of story.