PDA

View Full Version : Derby match in Tenerife?

TornadoHibby
27-04-2010, 07:01 AM
Off to Los Cristianos for a wee break in the sun and just wondered if anyone knew a decent place to watch the Derby match over there? :cool2:

Sensible replies only please guys! :wink::greengrin

ShanksSaidNo
27-04-2010, 08:19 AM
In Playa de las Americas there is a bar called 'The Hole in the Wa'. Proper Irish boozer. My bird's mum and dad go there every year and he watches all the fitba in there! Raves about it. Apparently the boy that sings in there at night is cracking too. Make a day of it once we've turned them over!
Its not to far from Cristianos to Las Americas in a cab!

joejoefaemexico
27-04-2010, 06:14 PM
also in las americas the irish fiddler at san eugenio next door to los geranios is decent for the football, numerous tellies inside and out, big projector, show various games normally have a big card on a sat, and a decent selection of home(or close to home) brews.

Barney McGrew
27-04-2010, 06:32 PM
Also in Las Americas, but at the Los Christianos end, The Whiskey Jar (http://www.sun4free.com/directory/tenerifebusiness529.htm)

Run by the guy who was the DJ in the legendary Cally Bar.

Cracking wee boozer - the owner also has a dislike of yams IIRC :greengrin

blackpoolhibs
28-04-2010, 07:11 AM
Also in Las Americas, but at the Los Christianos end, The Whiskey Jar (http://www.sun4free.com/directory/tenerifebusiness529.htm)

I used to work in there when i lived in tenerife. Jock who owns the bar is a superb host, and he will have the game on. He's probably the only bar in tenerife that has the Scottish games on, before any English one. A great wee bar, one you might not get out sober from.:wink:

Barney McGrew
28-04-2010, 08:39 AM
I used to work in there when i lived in tenerife. Jock who owns the bar is a superb host, and he will have the game on. He's probably the only bar in tenerife that has the Scottish games on, before any English one. A great wee bar, one you might not get out sober from.:wink:

I've known Jock for many years from back in the Cally days, and spent many a drunken night in his company :greengrin

blackpoolhibs
28-04-2010, 09:14 AM
I've known Jock for many years from back in the Cally days, and spent many a drunken night in his company :greengrin

I never knew the cally bar, but the stories i have heard are legendary.:greengrin Jock is a right nice bloke, i bought a house up were he lives, thats were i met him. He invited me down to his bar, and i was hooked.:greengrin The night scotland beat france in paris, when we scored, the residents from the hotel underneath all ran out onto the road, they thought the roof was coming in on them, and jock must have taken another 300 euros as most of everyones drink was on the ceiling.:greengrin

Barney McGrew
28-04-2010, 04:40 PM
I never knew the cally bar, but the stories i have heard are legendary.:greengrin

There is a very legendary one involving Shaun Dennis challenging him to a naked drinking contest in the middle of the bar :hilarious

I watched the England v France game at the 2004 Euros in the Whiskey Jar about three weeks after Jock took it over. It was very similar to how you describe the France v Scotland game :greengrin

blackpoolhibs
28-04-2010, 07:06 PM
There is a very legendary one involving Shaun Dennis challenging him to a naked drinking contest in the middle of the bar :hilarious

I watched the England v France game at the 2004 Euros in the Whiskey Jar about three weeks after Jock took it over. It was very similar to how you describe the France v Scotland game :greengrin

He hired that road train that runs round las americas, and draped it out in scotland flags, before the scotland england game in euro 96, and filled it with scots, who sang and chanted all the way around the town.:thumbsup:

Barney McGrew
28-04-2010, 07:13 PM
He hired that road train that runs round las americas, and draped it out in scotland flags, before the scotland england game in euro 96, and filled it with scots, who sang and chanted all the way around the town.:thumbsup:

:greengrin

I can't possibly post a link to You Tube on a family board, but the words 'Buckfast' and 'Rhapsody' typed in the right place brings up one of his finest moments from the Cally :party:

Anyhoo, get yourself to the Whiskey Jar and enjoy the game if you're nearby

NORTHERNHIBBY
28-04-2010, 07:53 PM
:greengrin

I can't possibly post a link to You Tube on a family board, but the words 'Buckfast' and 'Rhapsody' typed in the right place brings up one of his finest moments from the Cally :party:

Anyhoo, get yourself to the Whiskey Jar and enjoy the game if you're nearby

is this the real life, is it the methodone?
stuck in drumchapel, two bob fur the telephone?
open yer wine an' talk wi'a whine like me.
Um just a weeji, gie us yer sunny D.
Cos i'll chib yer pal, rip yer da, slash yer dug, xxxx yer ma!
Any way the clyde flows disnae really mater tae me...tae me

Cally bar is not to be missed......I used to like taking in a game at Christy O' Connor's but I hear that is now a supermercado?

CallumHibs07
28-04-2010, 08:45 PM
Don't you just love these "look at me, I'm going to .........." threads?:greengrin

TornadoHibby
02-05-2010, 10:24 AM

Thanks for the "heads up" guys! :wink:

Wife and I popped in on Friday night and spoke to Jamie who was on and he confirmed that the derby would be on and that "there would be a good few Hibbees who live locally down for the game"! Sounded like the atmosphere would be great yesterday! :agree:

In the event, the Birmingham v Burnley game took CLEAR precedence as there were loads of Brummie and Villa fans in (for the later match v City) and we were the only TWO Hibees in the bar for the derby as the locals clearly decided that lying on the beach was better than watching Hibs! :confused:

I think that Jock appeared in the bar for half an hour or so with a new baby girl although he watched the Brum match mostly and only looked in on the derby for a couple of minutes or so! He did have some friends who were keen to see his daughter though! :cool2:

I´ve found it difficult to understand how we can never close a game out when ahead and constantly lose stupid goals like the two that Smith threw in yesterday no matter what anyone says! Murray and Hanlon had a part to play in each but Smith should have had them tied up IMO! :confused:

It will be a miracle if we get 4th place now IMO and even if we do, can you imagine the embarrassment of taking part in the Europa League with squad mentality and attitude as well as tactics such as have had us playing so very badly for the last THREE MONTHS! :grr:

I won´t be at either of the two remaining games as I´ve had it for this season! I´ll decide between now and the end of May whether I renew my ST such is my currrent apathy for watching Hibs! :grr:

PS I did get out sober due to the poor Hibs result! Went straight to the beach and stayed there for 3 or 4 hours! :greengrin