PDA

View Full Version : Rankin

Dunbar Hibee
26-04-2010, 10:31 PM
I know i will probably get slated for this but I actually like Rankin. While I agree that his free kicks and corners are poor I think he has a lot to offer and would like to see him stay at the club. Like I say this is not the general view on him but I think he is a decent player.

monktonharp
26-04-2010, 10:34 PM
I know i will probably get slated for this but I actually like Rankin. While I agree that his free kicks and corners are poor I think he has a lot to offer and would like to see him stay at the club. Like I say this is not the general view on him but I think he is a decent player.tried liking him,didnae work.he couldnae hit a coo's erse wi' a banjo.

Perspective
26-04-2010, 10:38 PM
I'm with you DH.

Always had more time for honest grafters who give it their all every week. I appreciate the gifts of the naturally talented, but the ones who waste that God-given gift do my head in.

Say what you want about Rankin, but he gives it 100% every week. To do that he obviously lives his life the right way, he's clearly amongst the fittest in the squad and is strong mentally. Even when he's getting dogs' abuse he never hides from the ball - a quality that's a rarity in the team.

Not convinced he's good enough to take us where we want to be but I'd never ever stoop to giving the guy grief.

matty_f
26-04-2010, 10:42 PM
I know i will probably get slated for this but I actually like Rankin. While I agree that his free kicks and corners are poor I think he has a lot to offer and would like to see him stay at the club. Like I say this is not the general view on him but I think he is a decent player.

I think Rankin's done very well the last couple of games.:agree:

I don't think he's a great player really, however he gives 100% every game, never hides, is always looking for the ball etc. I don't think he's good enough to be a top 6 SPL side midfielder long term, however that opinion will change if he keeps improving like he has this season.

Bayern Bru
26-04-2010, 10:44 PM
He's a frustrating player - I'll hold my hands up and admit to inviting him to go elsewhere when he punts it from 35 yards into row Z or puts another corner into the side netting but you can't fault his effort or his professionalism.

Perhaps with the right players alongside/behind/in front of him, he'd look brilliant, but his mentality is something that's sadly lacking in most of the other players it seems.

greenlex
Every team needs a Rankin. He's worth keeping for a season or three yet.

HibeeHutch
Until ALL Hibs fans agree that players of the calibre of Rankin and his ilk are no good to Hibs if we want to seriously progress and challenge then we will get no where. Wake up and smell the coffee. There are at least another 7 players of Rankin's 'quality' who need to go so that we can move onwards and upwards.

monktonharp
26-04-2010, 11:09 PM
Until ALL Hibs fans agree that players of the calibre of Rankin and his ilk are no good to Hibs if we want to seriously progress and challenge then we will get no where. Wake up and smell the coffee. There are at least another 7 players of Rankin's 'quality' who need to go so that we can move onwards and upwards.:agree:

Perspective
26-04-2010, 11:11 PM
Until ALL Hibs fans agree that players of the calibre of Rankin and his ilk are no good to Hibs if we want to seriously progress and challenge then we will get no where. Wake up and smell the coffee. There are at least another 7 players of Rankin's 'quality' who need to go so that we can move onwards and upwards.

Only if the replacements are a combination of ability AND heart.

More often than not we get one or the other.

monktonharp
26-04-2010, 11:11 PM
He's a frustrating player - I'll hold my hands up and admit to inviting him to go elsewhere when he punts it from 35 yards into row Z or puts another corner into the side netting but you can't fault his effort or his professionalism.

Perhaps with the right players alongside/behind/in front of him, he'd look brilliant, but his mentality is something that's sadly lacking in most of the other players it seems.the problem being,proffesional footballers are designed to put footballs where they are meant to be put to.:cool2:

Dashing Bob S
26-04-2010, 11:38 PM
Well said. The man's a footballing genius - don't rubbish The Rank.

steve75
26-04-2010, 11:47 PM
It amazes me how people think shifting anyone who isn't the standard we're aiming for will instantly benifit the club.

Seems pretty obvious to me becoming a good, consistent team is all about pregression, building season on season. Rankin is currently a first team player, he does a good enough job. Next season We should see better players coming in to improve the side, this is when you clear out all the players who can't get a game for the current team and move some current first teamers to squad players.

If Rankin ups his game he will continue in the side if not over a couple of years him, and others, will slowly be weeded out the club.

But consistently changing more than 4/5 players and a manager every season is why at Hibs we barely have a 'team' and why we are falling into 5th/6th time on time.

KWJ
27-04-2010, 02:33 AM
If.MZ.had.of.made.that.flick.to.DW.there.would.e.a .thread.aroud.it.as.it.was.JR.its.missed.

keys.are.****ed!

rossi
27-04-2010, 02:55 AM
If.MZ.had.of.made.that.flick.to.DW.there.would.e.a .thread.aroud.it.as.it.was.JR.its.missed.

keys.are.****ed!

:agree:

Don't know who should be "waking up to smell the coffee" here; where are we going to get the money to pay for all these players that are 'top six' or 'Hibs class'? We can't even afford Darren ****in Barr.

EasterRoad4Ever
27-04-2010, 05:52 AM

:agree:He's a key part of arguably the worst midfield in the SPL. I like him cause he always gives 100% unlikely a lot of Hibs players but definitely not good enough.

Judas Iscariot
27-04-2010, 05:55 AM

:agree:

He couldn't hold down a starting slot at ICT every week but somehow is deemed good enough to be one of the 1st names on our team sheet week in and week out :bitchy:

What other team in the SPL would he get a game for!?

Nae ****!!

Beefster
27-04-2010, 06:07 AM
John Rankin is definitely better than Brian Kerr, Ross Chisholm and Jarko Wiss.

So that's good.

KWJ
27-04-2010, 06:17 AM
how.folk.give.him.a.hard.time.after.that.game.i.do t.get.

YouTube - Nacho Novo Has a Message For Aiden McGeady AGAIN !!!! *CHAMPIONS 2009/10* (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWoQFSmZp7E)

bighairyfaeleith
27-04-2010, 06:31 AM
I've never known a player to run about so much yet do **** all. He never touches the ball and when he does he either misplaces the pass or does some daft shot that goes ****ing no where near the goal. He should be on the same bus as nish!!

Big Frank
27-04-2010, 06:31 AM
Rankins main problem for me is that he when he collect a ball, he can be in yards of space, and rather than turn and drive towards the opposition goal he will pass back or across. A simple look around before he collects the ball is all thats needed. His crossing/passing.freekicks generally leave a lot to be desired, of that there can be little arguement.

Application only goes so far, FFS we're applauding players now because they run around the pitch for 90!!!!

bighairyfaeleith
27-04-2010, 06:32 AM
how.folk.give.him.a.hard.time.after.that.game.i.do t.get.

YouTube - Nacho Novo Has a Message For Aiden McGeady AGAIN !!!! *CHAMPIONS 2009/10* (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWoQFSmZp7E)

you been wanking on your keyboard again:greengrin

capi
27-04-2010, 06:35 AM
better off with a bollard than Rankin. He's s**te. End of.

KWJ
27-04-2010, 06:36 AM
lager.spillage=goosed.keys!:boo hoo:

Watch.his.Messiesque.performace:wink:

RIP
27-04-2010, 07:22 AM
I'd love to see a Hibs team that has sixteen guys who contribute more to Hibs performances for a whole season than John Rankin

However, other than The Tornadoes and the McLeish years, I don't think I've seen that mythical Hibs Team

Yogi won't be shoving John out the door any time soon

Get over it

Booked4Being-Ugly
27-04-2010, 07:52 AM
Yip, "we all dream of a team of John Rankin's" :singing:........NOT!!!

The clue's in the name.

Expecting Rain
27-04-2010, 08:42 AM
If Rankin is considered to be a good player then we have no ambitions at all.

greenlex
27-04-2010, 08:48 AM
I kept stats for a game for him they were pretty good. I asked someone else (anybody) to do it for another game and nobody did. I willl do it again but it won't be the derby cis I will be too wound up. I will do it at Fir park. I think you might all be surprised.

Edit- found them in my phone.
30 of 34 passes found a hibs player. That's over 88%
6 balls over the top. 1 led to a goal (nish iirc)
4 crosses (2 terrible)
2 goal line clearances
1 shot (on target)
2 headed passes to a team mate.

Those are not the stats of a terrible player. It doesn't make him world class but it does make him good enough for the SPL.

KWJ
27-04-2010, 08:58 AM
shh.with.yer.facts.:wink:

what.game.was.that.

greenlex
27-04-2010, 09:03 AM
shh.with.yer.facts.:wink:

what.game.was.that.

Cannas mind . One where Nish scored. :)

Judas Iscariot
27-04-2010, 09:06 AM

As always Churchy, your spot on :agree:

hibee_girl
27-04-2010, 09:18 AM
I like Rankin too :agree:

He shouldn't be allowed anywhere near our set pieces though as he is awful at them!

maturehibby
27-04-2010, 09:21 AM
I'm with you DH.

Always had more time for honest grafters who give it their all every week. I appreciate the gifts of the naturally talented, but the ones who waste that God-given gift do my head in.

Say what you want about Rankin, but he gives it 100% every week. To do that he obviously lives his life the right way, he's clearly amongst the fittest in the squad and is strong mentally. Even when he's getting dogs' abuse he never hides from the ball - a quality that's a rarity in the team.

Not convinced he's good enough to take us where we want to be but I'd never ever stoop to giving the guy grief.

Another Chisholm to me

Removed
27-04-2010, 09:23 AM
I kept stats for a game for him they were pretty good. I asked someone else (anybody) to do it for another game and nobody did. I willl do it again but it won't be the derby cis I will be too wound up. I will do it at Fir park. I think you might all be surprised.

4 crosses (2 terrible)
2 goal line clearances
1 shot (on target)

Those are not the stats of a terrible player. It doesn't make him world class but it does make him good enough for the SPL.

Don't dispute your facts but on Sunday I totally lost the head 3 times -Penalty denied, free kick when Gollum didn't get the wall back and when a really good move was ruined when Rankin sent a pass out to McCormack waist height at about 50mph. Basic stuff :grr:

J-C
27-04-2010, 09:26 AM
Unfortunately until we come into a lot of money we have to pay who we can afford, Rankin is a 100%, not the most gifted player but at least he'll generally fight his corner. Until we can afford better we have to have a couple of these players in the squad, he makes up in sheer determination what he lacks in technique, a team is about a mixture and at the moment that mixture isn't there due to injuries and suspensions.

ArabHibee
27-04-2010, 09:49 AM

:agree: That's about the first thing you have ever said that I agree with!

Rivers Cuomo
27-04-2010, 09:50 AM
Interesting stat in the Record this morning that said Rankin has 5 assists this season (our most from one player).

Still think he's not good enough for Hibs and its mediocre players like him and Nish we need to empty if we want to stop being a mediocre side.

Holmesdale Hibs
27-04-2010, 10:02 AM
Unfortunately until we come into a lot of money we have to pay who we can afford, Rankin is a 100%, not the most gifted player but at least he'll generally fight his corner. Until we can afford better we have to ahve a couple of these players in the squad, he makes up in sheer determination what he lacks in technique, a team is about a mixture and at the moment that mixture isn't there due to injuries and suspensions.

:agree: He's good enough to get in our first team most weeks so therefore we keep him. Of course we should aspire for better players but unless we get 2 or 3 new midfielders that will give more to the team than he does then there's no point selling him.

greenlex
27-04-2010, 10:16 AM
:agree: He's good enough to get in our first team most weeks so therefore we keep him. Of course we should aspire for better players but unless we get 2 or 3 new midfielders that will give more to the team than he does then there's no point selling him.
A point missed on a lot of posters. Who knows with better players around him he might benefit the team more than I think he does at the moment.

blackpoolhibs
27-04-2010, 10:22 AM
I think a lot of people are missing the point here. Perhaps Rankin would be better with better players around him, perhaps he will suddenly learn to pass the ball properly, but i judge him on what he's like now, and judge him on players he plays against. He's just not very good in comparison, and when replacing players, we generally want rid of those who are not performing to a certain standard, and those we dont think can improve. He fall in that category imho, and a better player is needed, if we want the team to improve.

The_Horde
27-04-2010, 11:10 AM
I don't deem Rankin good enough for the starting line up week in week out if we want to progress as a team but i do believe he is good to have around as back up.

SneakersO'Toole
27-04-2010, 11:31 AM
Put me in a Hibs shirt and I'll give my all week in week out, cover every inch of grass and by the end of the game be walking off with cramp. All this 'he's a honest and hard-working' player doesn't wash with me.

We already have our anchor man in McBride. What we need in midfield is someone with the confidence to drive forward, retain possession and create opportunities for others. Rankin doesn't do this. He's one-dimensional, one-footed and all together fades into mediocrity.

Rankin isn't good enough for a any team that wants to finish in the top 4 every season. Squad player at best who should play 10games a season tops.

The Modfather
27-04-2010, 11:32 AM
Interesting stat in the Record this morning that said Rankin has 5 assists this season (our most from one player).

Still think he's not good enough for Hibs and its mediocre players like him and Nish we need to empty if we want to stop being a mediocre side.

Surely that can't be true, more assists than Derek "walk on water" Riordan ?? :devil:

rubber mal
27-04-2010, 11:36 AM
I'm with you DH.

:top marks:agree:

Craig_in_Prague
27-04-2010, 11:41 AM
He'd be well named or described if you removed the in from his surname.

BonnieFitbaTeam
27-04-2010, 11:44 AM

4 crosses (2 terrible)
2 goal line clearances
1 shot (on target)

It's almost impossible to describe just how difficult it is for me to believe the bit in bold !

blackpoolhibs
27-04-2010, 11:51 AM
It's almost impossible to describe just how difficult it is for me to believe the bit in bold !

I dont count those passes that were round his team mates throats as found, or completed passes.

brog
27-04-2010, 12:48 PM
Put me in a Hibs shirt and I'll give my all week in week out, cover every inch of grass and by the end of the game be walking off with cramp. All this 'he's a honest and hard-working' player doesn't wash with me.

We already have our anchor man in McBride. What we need in midfield is someone with the confidence to drive forward, retain possession and create opportunities for others. Rankin doesn't do this. He's one-dimensional, one-footed and all together fades into mediocrity.

Rankin isn't good enough for a any team that wants to finish in the top 4 every season. Squad player at best who should play 10games a season tops.

That was exactly what he did in creating the chance for DW on Sunday & it was exactly what he did in creating the winner at Darkheid, having originally cleared the ball from just outside our box.
Despite the above I'm not a huge Rankin fan, there's no doubt he's is a limited player but every team needs a grafter in midfield & he never hides. Some of the abuse he gets on here is ridiculous.
PS, for those who say we should never sign lower league players, WBA just turned down a £4million bid for Dorrans, signed from Livi! Snodgrass, another ex Livi player was Leeds star man last season & was in 1st division team of the season. Not Hibs class though & in GD's case definitely too small! :wink:

matty_f
27-04-2010, 02:48 PM
Don't dispute your facts but on Sunday I totally lost the head 3 times -Penalty denied, free kick when Gollum didn't get the wall back and when a really good move was ruined when Rankin sent a pass out to McCormack waist height at about 50mph. Basic stuff :grr:

I'll stick up for Rankin here - I had a great view of that pass, and just as Rankin went to hit the ball, it bounced right up and moved to the right because of the nick of the pitch.

JimBHibees
27-04-2010, 03:27 PM
I dont count those passes that were round his team mates throats as found, or completed passes.

:faf::faf:

Scouse Hibee
27-04-2010, 03:30 PM
Rankin was the only one with any pace in our midfield on Sunday!

SneakersO'Toole
27-04-2010, 03:45 PM
That was exactly what he did in creating the chance for DW on Sunday & it was exactly what he did in creating the winner at Darkheid, having originally cleared the ball from just outside our box.
Despite the above I'm not a huge Rankin fan, there's no doubt he's is a limited player but every team needs a grafter in midfield & he never hides. Some of the abuse he gets on here is ridiculous.

McBride is our grafter. We don't need another one.

If some Hibs fans think that Rankin is good enough to hold down a starting place in our central midfield then fine. They must be happy to accept we will finish mid table or even bottom six every season. Because that is his level.

If we want to be having seasons like Dundee Utd are having currently then we need someone else.

blackpoolhibs
27-04-2010, 05:05 PM

If some Hibs fans think that Rankin is good enough to hold down a starting place in our central midfield then fine. They must be happy to accept we will finish mid table or even bottom six every season. Because that is his level.

If we want to be having seasons like Dundee Utd are having currently then we need someone else.

:top marks:agree:

Cropley10
27-04-2010, 05:07 PM

100% Correct:agree:

Couldn't hold down a starting place at ICT but good enough for Hibs??!

Won't be offloaded - but never good enough for a top 4 side in Scotland. As you say look at United - two proper midfielders and two proper wide men in Swanson and Conroy. Can you see JR getting a start for them??

Tyler Durden
27-04-2010, 05:09 PM
Surely that can't be true, more assists than Derek "walk on water" Riordan ?? :devil:

I take it you realise that its not actualy true and that Riordan has about 4 more assists?

EasterRoad4Ever
27-04-2010, 06:09 PM

Put it this way, how many teams have shown an interest in taking Rankin off us, or speculation in the press about teams wanting him ???? Acid test.

Jones28
27-04-2010, 08:16 PM
you been wanking on your keyboard again:greengrin

:faf:

500miles
27-04-2010, 08:42 PM
Put it this way, how many teams have shown an interest in taking Rankin off us, or speculation in the press about teams wanting him ???? Acid test.

Dundee Utd. at the start of the season (allegedly).

500miles
27-04-2010, 08:43 PM
100% Correct:agree:

Couldn't hold down a starting place at ICT but good enough for Hibs??!

Won't be offloaded - but never good enough for a top 4 side in Scotland. As you say look at United - two proper midfielders and two proper wide men in Swanson and Conroy. Can you see JR getting a start for them??

Bit of a misconception this. His absence from the team was less to do with ability, more to do with a falling out with Brewster.

greenlex
27-04-2010, 09:36 PM
I'll stick up for Rankin here - I had a great view of that pass, and just as Rankin went to hit the ball, it bounced right up and moved to the right because of the nick of the pitch.
No allowances to be made. It Rankin we are talking about.

greenlex
27-04-2010, 09:40 PM
Its beacause people make their minds up quickly about players and its set in stone no matter what. As I said would someone else care to watch him and see what he actually does instead of highlighting the poor bits? Again I am not saying he is world class and hopefully in a few years we will have better but at the moment he is in our midfield on merit as there is no one else available. I think he does a job and would continue to do one as we add quality to the squad. There are players in our squad who should be moved on before Rankin.

DH1875
27-04-2010, 10:49 PM

:agree::agree::agree:.

I'm with you. Really think he gets a raw deal. Worst case scenario he would be a good squad player for next season.

The Harp Awakes
27-04-2010, 11:05 PM

Perhaps with the right players alongside/behind/in front of him, he'd look brilliant, but his mentality is something that's sadly lacking in most of the other players it seems.

Considering some of the gutless performances in recent months from many players, I don't think you can fault Rankin for effort. I wonder if he actually tries too hard at times and this leads to errors in his play. I can understand how fans get frustrated by him as he has ability and should be scoring goals from midfield regularly but he's turned in some poor performances in his short Hibs career and hardly threatens the goal in games.

I think if we signed a real grafting, hard tackling midfielder we may see his form inproving.

I'd keep him:tin hat:

monktonharp
28-04-2010, 01:12 AM
:agree: He's good enough to get in our first team most weeks so therefore we keep him. Of course we should aspire for better players but unless we get 2 or 3 new midfielders that will give more to the team than he does then there's no point selling him.Selling him? I just hope we punt him,for nowt,but if you really know anyone that's interested we could come to an arrangement

KWJ
28-04-2010, 04:26 AM
I don't think anybody defending Rankin is saying that he's one of our better players and that we don't want to replace him to improve. Ideally we want to get to the stage where we are replacing all of our players with better ones. However at the time, especially with injuries and suspensions kicking in he merits a starting place.

Also to be giving him stick after his arguably MOTM performance on Sunday is extremely harsh. Couldn't believe (well, not quite) I saw people giving him 5/10 and criticism after the game he had. He was definetly our best midfielder yet people were giving Cregg & McBride better ratings who took far less risks and seemed happy to hold on to a 1-0 defeat. When Rankin had the ball he was looking forward and playing the ball into dangerous positions. He was behind our two best chances in the game and also did his bit at the back. His chest back to Smith when under pressure was class.

I reckon he's a more forward thinking player than McB/Cregg and so you can play them together but a on form Miller is far superior to JR. However since our slump Miller has lost his spark and JR's come on to a bit of a game.

He's nothing special, but we've had worse and i bet we'll sign worse again.

He's still very much got a part to play at Hibs, be it as back up or when he's on song like Sunday.

As for his time at ICT, he played over 50 games in a season and a half scoring 9 goals. I can't recall the Brewster fall our but if true then that would show he definetly didn't have trouble making the first team before then.

Oh and I thought all but one of his corners were very good yesterday as he stuck them in a very dangerous position. The balls up with McCormack was ridiculous though :greengrin

RIP
28-04-2010, 06:51 AM
There's no doubt in my mind that John Rankin is a much improved player under Yogi. Don't forget he was a candidate for team captain after big Rob left.

The only reason he occasionally misplaces a pass is because he takes chances when others play safe

His recent performances have been pretty good

He plays the game the way the manager wants - a model pro, superfit, trained at Old Trafford just like Liam Miller.

No superstar but all we can afford atm

bighairyfaeleith
28-04-2010, 07:01 AM
There's no doubt in my mind that John Rankin is a much improved player under Yogi. Don't forget he was a candidate for team captain after big Rob left.

The only reason he occasionally misplaces a pass is because he takes chances when others play safe

He plays the game the way the manager wants - a model pro, superfit, trained at Old Trafford just like Liam Miller.

Couldn't disagree more

He misplaces passes because he can't pass the bloody ball.

His recent performances have been slightly better than some of those around him, hardly a great comparison though!!

Trained at old trafford, doesn't make him good just means he trained at a nice stadium once:wink:

We can certainly afford better than him, lets bring the best out in liam miller by giving him a decent midfield to play in!!

All IMO:greengrin

PaulSmith
28-04-2010, 07:02 AM

Disagree with every paragraph, Rankin is a bottom 3 SPL type player and will be nothing more in his career.

Can't tackle, doesn't score, can't cross, no height, can't pass in fact I struggle to see what he brings to he first team

KWJ
28-04-2010, 07:55 AM
So you reckon he was rank on Sunday as well?

Watch the video I linked to on the previous page and the stats from a match that greenlex mentioned.

Mikeystewart
28-04-2010, 08:01 AM

I agree he should be kept on. Think he is a much improved player since Mixu Signed him. Would work well in a 4 midfield i think as a holding player.

I think he has always been a physicaly fit player who knows how to kick a ball its just his game intelligence hes been lacking though i think has came on leaps and bounds since the introduction of Miller and McBride pointing him where to go.

Hopefully eventualy he wont need there help, thought he played well on sunday great back heel lay off for Wotherspoon's shot.

Expecting Rain
28-04-2010, 08:26 AM
:agree: That's about the first thing you have ever said that I agree with!

I`m not encouraged by this.:greengrin

khib70
28-04-2010, 08:36 AM
I`m not encouraged by this.:greengrin
More alarmingly, I agree with you too. If more Rankins are the best we can hope for, God help us.

Still, he tries hard, so that's OK

Expecting Rain
28-04-2010, 08:44 AM
More alarmingly, I agree with you too. If more Rankins are the best we can hope for, God help us.

There must be some way out of here, good to see you are back from Munich via the rough guide.

greenlex
28-04-2010, 08:48 AM

I don't think anyone is saying more Rankins is the best we can hope for. Could you be any more negative about this? Maybe you should stay away from Hibs.. Net and Easter Road for the sake of your health.

khib70
28-04-2010, 08:58 AM
I don't think anyone is saying more Rankins is the best we can hope for. Could you be any more negative about this? Maybe you should stay away from Hibs.. Net and Easter Road for the sake of your health.
Being negative about bad players constantly getting a start? Being negative about losing eight games out of ten? Being negative about being royally horsed by bottom six teams? Tsk Tsk! If I was a real fan, I'd be jumping for joy. I hang my head in shame. I forgot that real supporters are totally uncritical and permanently overjoyed.

KWJ
28-04-2010, 09:05 AM
so you're saying he was a bad player on Sunday and deserves to be dropped? And if alarmingly so, who for?

greenlex
28-04-2010, 09:38 AM
Being negative about bad players constantly getting a start? Being negative about losing eight games out of ten? Being negative about being royally horsed by bottom six teams? Tsk Tsk! If I was a real fan, I'd be jumping for joy. I hang my head in shame. I forgot that real supporters are totally uncritical and permanently overjoyed.

Did Rankin play badly on Sunday? Even if he was poor who would you start in his place that would drive on like he does? Instead of being negative how about a few suggestions to better things? Your attempt at calling me a real supporter and assuming I dont think you are are so childish its laughable. If you spent a little less energy on that pish you might be taken seriously.You are close to being one of the few posters on the ignore button buddy.Get a grip eh.

khib70
28-04-2010, 10:25 AM
Did Rankin play badly on Sunday? Even if he was poor who would you start in his place that would drive on like he does? Instead of being negative how about a few suggestions to better things? Your attempt at calling me a real supporter and assuming I dont think you are are so childish its laughable. If you spent a little less energy on that pish you might be taken seriously.You are close to being one of the few posters on the ignore button buddy.Get a grip eh.
To answer your first question, yes he did, though he was by no means the only one. First postive suggestion. Let someone else take the corners and there might be some chance of them landing at least in play, if not in the box.
I would play Galbraith instead and get some width into the midfield.

Let's utilise Hanlon and Thicot in the middle of the back four, Stokes and Riordan as a front two, and stop short-passing for minutes on end to get nowhere. Get the ball wide early and use the centre midfield to support the forwards.

Let's lose the players who aren't good enough in the summer and replace them with better ones. No, we won't get Messi or Ronaldo, but within our budget we can do better than Rankin, Nish, Stevenson or McCormick.

And let's not give Yogi the benefit of the doubt we didn't give to previous managers. Right now he's three points up on Mixu and that doesn't thrill me at all.

And FFS let's finally beat the yams, to produce some genuine grounds for happiness.

greenlex
28-04-2010, 10:41 AM
To answer your first question, yes he did, though he was by no means the only one. First postive suggestion. Let someone else take the corners and there might be some chance of them landing at least in play, if not in the box.
I would play Galbraith instead and get some width into the midfield.

Let's utilise Hanlon and Thicot in the middle of the back four, Stokes and Riordan as a front two, and stop short-passing for minutes on end to get nowhere. Get the ball wide early and use the centre midfield to support the forwards.

Let's lose the players who aren't good enough in the summer and replace them with better ones. No, we won't get Messi or Ronaldo, but within our budget we can do better than Rankin, Nish, Stevenson or McCormick.

And let's not give Yogi the benefit of the doubt we didn't give to previous managers. Right now he's three points up on Mixu and that doesn't thrill me at all.

And FFS let's finally beat the yams, to produce some genuine grounds for happiness.
Much better!!!!
Only argument I would make is Rankins performance on Sunday and particularly his corners. There were several that were spot on Sunday but folk seem to prefer to highlight the negative in his game. His corners are no worse than Deeks on the other side. Deek is quite capable of not getting them past the first defender too.
Agree about the width element but until we get full backs who play the wing back role that Hughes is trying to play then we wont have the width.
My only worry about Hughes is his determination to play a system that doesnt suit the players we have. Why not play to the players strengths rather than trying to fit them into a system that he would ideally like to play. Riordan up front instead of left Mid for me is a perfect example of this.
He tries to play 4-5-1 when we dont have the ball and either 4-3-3 when we do or some sort of 4-3-1-2. Until you have grafting full backs either side giving you width or bigger and better more mobile midfielders it doesnt work.

I would give Hughes another season at least as one season isnt enough to build what he wants. He has brought in quality so lets see what another couple of windows brings.

Like I said somewhere else lets see what the performances for the remainder of the season bring.

Judas Iscariot
28-04-2010, 10:55 AM
so you're saying he was a bad player on Sunday and deserves to be dropped? And if alarmingly so, who for?

There's nobody in the squad that's available just now to replace him with..

I'd rather have a midfield containing any combination of Miller, McBride, Cregg, Thicot, Galbraith or Deeks before Rankin gets a mention..

He's not good enough to be a weekly starter for a club that has asperations of pushing for 3rd place every season, playing in Europe and having decent runs in the cup!

Would he get a game for Rangers, Celtic, Dundee UTD, Motherwell, Hertz or Aberdeen?!

Naw, he wouldn't, so he should be nowhere near our starting 11..

Leith Green
28-04-2010, 10:57 AM
Rank by name , Rank by nature.. A Mixu signing if ever there was one !

greenlex
28-04-2010, 10:59 AM
There's nobody in the squad that's available just now to replace him with..

I'd rather have a midfield containing any combination of Miller, McBride, Cregg, Thicot, Galbraith or Deeks before Rankin gets a mention..

He's not good enough to be a weekly starter for a club that has asperations of pushing for 3rd place every season, playing in Europe and having decent runs in the cup!

Would he get a game for Rangers, Celtic, Dundee UTD, Motherwell, Hertz or Aberdeen?!

Naw, he wouldn't, so he should be nowhere near our starting 11..
Might no get a start for the first three but would for the others IMO.

Judas Iscariot
28-04-2010, 11:26 AM
Might no get a start for the first three but would for the others IMO.

Aye?

Over who?

I've saw all 3 of those teams a fair few times this season and their midfield has dominated ours in most of the games with Rankin sticking out like a sore thumb in our side due to lack of ability..

IMO he'd not get a weekly start for ANY other SPL side..

KWJ
28-04-2010, 11:51 AM
I think he'd start about as many as he does for us for Aberdeen, Hearts & Motherwell.

I agree that he's not a first 11 player for a team that realistically wants 3rd but he could be back up.

khib, you still thinking Rankin had a poor game on Sunday still bewilders me. All bar one of his corners were put into very dangerous positions and he set up our best chance of the game with a brilliant flick. Poor game, my arse. What does the guy need to do?

Leith Green you're "a Mixu signing if ever there was one" statement is just daft. I think everyone agrees Mixu's signings were on the whole very good.

skipster7
28-04-2010, 11:54 AM
Aye?

Over who?

I've saw all 3 of those teams a fair few times this season and their midfield has dominated ours in most of the games with Rankin sticking out like a sore thumb in our side due to lack of ability..

i thought our whole midfield have stood out like a sore thumb but usually because its 3 against 4/5 ?
imo rankin is decent and seems to be an easy target and unless we can replace our whole midfield in the summer with BETTER players then i would imagine he will be here next season at least.
would mcbride get a start for any other team ? probably not but for some reason he gets nowhere near as much stick as rankin who's attitude seems missing from at least half a dozen of the other imposters.

greenlex
28-04-2010, 10:06 PM
Aye?

Over who?

Yer having a laugh.

Off the top off my head.

Motherwell the only one he wouldnt shift is O'Brien
Hearts - Stewart and Kingston on his day
Aberdeen - Anyone. (Pawlett and Fyvvie will maybe be better one day but not at the moment.)
St Johnstone - Possibly Liam Criag
Falkirk - Arfield
St Mirren - Dorman
Hamilton - McArthur and. Neil
Killie - Taouil
Thats off the top of he head. These are midfield players that he might not get in front off and they may not even be the same type of player.
You tell me who he couldnt shift from any other team other than the top three. I think you will struggle mate.

As I said I dont think he is world class but he is good enough for where we are and possibly the next level till we can get better.

For the record the only other midfielder we have who you could almost guarantee a game elsewhere at the moment is Miller.
All IMO of course.

DH1875
28-04-2010, 10:20 PM
Yer having a laugh.

Off the top off my head.

Motherwell the only one he wouldnt shift is O'Brien
Hearts - Stewart and Kingston on his day
Aberdeen - Anyone. (Pawlett and Fyvvie will maybe be better one day but not at the moment.)
St Johnstone - Possibly Liam Criag
Falkirk - Arfield
St Mirren - Dorman
Hamilton - McArthur and. Neil
Killie - Anyone.
Thats off the top of he head. These are midfield players that he might not get in front off and they may not even be the same type of player.
You tell me who he couldnt shift from any other team other than the top three. I think you will struggle mate.

As I said I dont think he is world class but he is good enough for where we are and possibly the next level till we can get better.

For the record the only other midfielder we have who you could almost guarantee a game elsewhere at the moment is Miller.
All IMO of course.

What he said :agree:.

Captain Trips
28-04-2010, 11:07 PM
I will add to this, he isnt very good.

KWJ
29-04-2010, 02:37 AM
I will add to this, he isnt very good.

aw bums. I never thought of it like that. Right lads, might as well close the thread.