PDA

View Full Version : Gutless and Clueless

Alfred E Newman
25-04-2010, 06:46 PM
I have had the misfortune to have witnessed some pretty poor Hibs sides in my time but never one so lacking in passion as this lot. I don`t think I have seen a Hibs side so lacking in pace either. Tactically poor and devoid of any motivation as well.
He might have scored over 20 goals I don`t think I have seen a more unfit player than Stokes. The sight of him being outpaced by Weir , and he wasn`t the only one, makes you wonder what kind of training program these guys have.
No matter the quality of Hibs sides in the past, you could always count on a bit of fire and agression in games against the Old Firm and Rangers in particular but todays pathetic performance gave Rangers one of their easiest games of the season.

Billychaotic182
25-04-2010, 06:51 PM
I have had the misfortune to have witnessed some pretty poor Hibs sides in my time but never one so lacking in passion as this lot. I don`t think I have seen a Hibs side so lacking in pace either. Tactically poor and devoid of any motivation as well.
He might have scored over 20 goals I don`t think I have seen a more unfit player than Stokes. The sight of him being outpaced by Weir , and he wasn`t the only one, makes you wonder what kind of training program these guys have.
No matter the quality of Hibs sides in the past, you could always count on a bit of fire and agression in games against the Old Firm and Rangers in particular but todays pathetic performance gave Rangers one of their easiest games of the season.

:troll::troll::troll:

Mikey
25-04-2010, 06:53 PM

Where was the lack of effort today?

down-the-slope
25-04-2010, 06:54 PM

:yawn:

mcfly
25-04-2010, 06:56 PM
watching that today i was embarrassed and bored.

that product on show is not worth £400 on a season ticket and yogi has to be at fault.

mccormack, rankin, cregg, nish are just not good enough and its cringing to watch.

however the most embarassing thing on show was willie collum, he showed be demoted and never allowed to ref a big game again. blatant bias and a defo penalty for riordan.

agree stokes was poor but thank god for his 20 goals or we'd be in a relegation battle

Feed McGraw
25-04-2010, 06:56 PM

Sadly, I`m in total and utter agreeance. Well maybe not about Stokes, I know what you mean, but you can`t really ignore those goals.

Alfred E Newman
25-04-2010, 07:03 PM

Other than Riordan and Hanlon and Nish when he came on , throughout the team. Too many players just going through the motions .

sesoim
25-04-2010, 07:06 PM
Sadly, I`m in total and utter agreeance. Well maybe not about Stokes, I know what you mean, but you can`t really ignore those goals.

:agree: If we fix the parts of the team that DO need fixed, Stokes will knock in 30 goals next season. There were about five players playing today who MUST GO this summer. And our playing style is just handing wins on a plate to inferior opponents. If Hughes can't see this then he should go as well.

KeithTheHibby
25-04-2010, 07:07 PM

You watched a different game from me mate.

I thought we were ok today and with a bit of luck may have got something out of the game.

Plenty effort but lacked a cutting edge today.

Mikey
25-04-2010, 07:07 PM
Other than Riordan and Hanlon and Nish when he came on , throughout the team. Too many players just going through the motions .

Murray?

Wotherspoon?

Both not interested in playing for the jersey??

Thicot has been given a lot of praise. Was he just going through the motions too?

Jones28
25-04-2010, 07:08 PM
watching that today i was embarrassed and bored.

that product on show is not worth £400 on a season ticket and yogi has to be at fault.

mccormack, rankin, cregg, nish are just not good enough and its cringing to watch.

however the most embarassing thing on show was willie collum, he showed be demoted and never allowed to ref a big game again. blatant bias and a defo penalty for riordan.

agree stokes was poor but thank god for his 20 goals or we'd be in a relegation battle

Nish was good enough to score a perfectly legitimate goal, just unfortunately we had Willie of Orange as our referee!! :boo hoo::boo hoo:

scoopyboy
25-04-2010, 07:11 PM

Disagree.

I don't think I can ever say I have seen Ian Murray going through the motions.

I think Rankin worked his sox off as always, shame that he's not very good.

Also think McBride put a shift in.

Brizo
25-04-2010, 07:11 PM
Tbh I thought today was same old same old. Lots of passages of short passing going nowhere with no end product.

murray26
25-04-2010, 07:16 PM
Cregg certainly showed why he was a Falkirk sub last season, he has to go, next week is massive for Yogi IMHO, he desperately needs to convince alot of fans that he can get a team going after some shocking results/performances.

fife hfc
Far from perfect but far better than recently imho. We had a number of decent chances that we should have done better with. I have not seen the penalty claim or offside goal again, so can't comment but I feel we deserved a draw just like last week but silly errors are costing us dear.

marinello59

What game were you watching?:confused: The second half performance in particular looked more than acceptable from my seat. Riordan, Hanlon and Thicot were all pretty damned good and there didn't look to be any slackers out there.

Ferryhibby
25-04-2010, 07:18 PM

I thought we were ok today and with a bit of luck may have got something out of the game.

Funny game this football lark, how some see it one way and some see it another, i agree with you mate ok there was no cutting edge but taking out miller,zemmamma then thats what happens we did the best with what we had dont think Smith had a save to make, thought Thicot when he came on was great, Nish could have been on earlier to noise up their defence a little but we kept the ball ok. If we were 1 up and passing the ball around like that would the crowd be on their backs?

col02
25-04-2010, 07:19 PM
I am enthused enough about next season already. Hanlon looks accomplished at centre back, Wotherspoon will be a good prospect at right midfield, we will start the season with at least two good enough quality goalkeepers, hopefully going by what Miller said in the match programme we will maybe see Taggart and one or two other young players come into the first team squad and impress, Hughes will have been able to move some players out and bring others in and our pitch should be like a bowling green suitable for passing football. :greengrin

Alfred E Newman
25-04-2010, 07:20 PM

I must have done then. How anyone can be satisfied with that performance is beyond me. You are right though about the lack of cutting edge. Players happy to pass the ball back and forward aimlessly with only Riordan willing to try something more adventurous and Rankin persistantly passing the ball into the West Stand or the building site. Once more it was poor stuff in such an important game for the club.

Hainan Hibs
25-04-2010, 07:21 PM
They can turn it on easily when it's a televised game against the Old Firm.

I'll get happy clapping again when they can bother to their arse in any of the other matches.

Wembley67
25-04-2010, 07:24 PM
Maybe its because we are so used to seeing sub-standard performances that when we string a couple of passes together we think we are playing good football.

It was an improvement but certainly wouldn't say we played particularly well, if we did we would have won.

matty_f
25-04-2010, 07:26 PM
What game were you watching?:confused: The second half performance in particular looked more than acceptable from my seat. Riordan, Hanlon and Thicot were all pretty damned good and there didn't look to be any slackers out there.

That's how I saw it too. Gutless and Clueless would probably be the last two words I'd use to describe today's performance.

I thought (as against Celtc last week) that we were worth a point at least this afternoon.

HFC 0-7
25-04-2010, 08:21 PM
I dont think effort was a problem today at all, what was a problem was movement off the ball, players dont seem to be able to run into the right areas and when they do it seems 2 or 3 players run into the same space. The biggest problem today was a lack of creativity, but I think the effort was there!

bighairyfaeleith
25-04-2010, 08:26 PM
I dont think effort was a problem today at all, what was a problem was movement off the ball, players dont seem to be able to run into the right areas and when they do it seems 2 or 3 players run into the same space. The biggest problem today was a lack of creativity, but I think the effort was there!

I'd agree with that, if you watched kyle and lafferty they played off each other and knew where the other one was going to be. That's not the case with our front line, to often riordan and stokes where miles apart from each other so the killer pass never worked.

Lots of effort but still we have a way to go

hibeedonald
25-04-2010, 08:27 PM

big improvement today, unlucky not to score.

borstalboy
25-04-2010, 08:38 PM
I think it was an improvement today mainly due to the fact that Rangers never got out of 2nd gear. I reckon if we had been able to put any pressure on Rangers, they could have easily upped it a couple of gears and more than likely beat us by more than one.

They had so much pace in there team with miller, lafferty, naismith and novo.......thats ultimately what gives you an edge in games like these. We need a couple of players with pace to pose a threat at the other end. A lot of Rangers play came from long balls and flick-on's, with there strikers or wide midfielders bursting on to the ball.

PaulSmith
25-04-2010, 08:42 PM
Nish was good enough to score a perfectly legitimate goal, just unfortunately we had Willie of Orange as our referee!! :boo hoo::boo hoo:

Just had a wee chuckle at that, a RE teacher at a catholic school being outed as an orangeman.. As if the RC church didn't have enough going on!

Hermit Crab
25-04-2010, 08:47 PM
Stoke played like he was out on the lash last night :dizzy:

lyonhibs
25-04-2010, 08:52 PM
That's how I saw it too. Gutless and Clueless would probably be the last two words I'd use to describe today's performance.

I thought (as against Celtc last week) that we were worth a point at least this afternoon.

Gutless, perhaps a tad too far, although the fact that - for the 643rd game in a row - or it seems like it - we rarely had a central midfielder in the centre circle for 2nd balls is worrying.

However, clueless is exactly how I'd describe the trio of McBride, Cregg and Rankin, in whose possession the ball was a lot of the time. Not clueless in the sense of being unable to control the ball and play a 5-10 yard sideways or backwards pass, but clueless to the degree that expecting anything more from them - like looking up, spreading the play quickly and accurately - was expecting too much, particularly from Cregg and Rankin.

Admittedly, creativity isn't high on any of their respective list of attributes, but I'm not talking about inch perfect reverse through balls, or "no look" chips over the back 4, just a willingness to spread the play a bit and get the point of attack shifted away from the congested minefield that is central midfield.

That was the most frustrating aspect of the game for me - seeing Murray, Riordan or Wotherspoon in yards of space, that could have been exploited by a quick switch of play, only to see the chance gone because some combination of those 3, perhaps with a CB thrown in for good measure, played "keep ball" amongst themselves for 1-2 minutes before thinking of spreading it wide. Whether it's a lack of confidence in their own ability, or more fundamentally, a lack of said ability, I don't know, but it was - and has been for a while now - infuriating to watch.

plhibs
25-04-2010, 08:54 PM
I think it was an improvement today mainly due to the fact that Rangers never got out of 2nd gear. I reckon if we had been able to put any pressure on Rangers, they could have easily upped it a couple of gears and more than likely beat us by more than one.

They had so much pace in there team with miller, lafferty, naismith and novo.......thats ultimately what gives you an edge in games like these. We need a couple of players with pace to pose a threat at the other end. A lot of Rangers play came from long balls and flick-on's, with there strikers or wide midfielders bursting on to the ball.

Agree with this, they seemed quite content to let us pass the ball sideways and backward all day and then step in when we couldn't find anywhere else to go, pathetic effort.

Jones28
25-04-2010, 08:55 PM
Just had a wee chuckle at that, a RE teacher at a catholic school being outed as an orangeman.. As if the RC church didn't have enough going on!

Please forgive my ignorance :greengrin

down the slope
25-04-2010, 08:56 PM
We were glad that we had a view down the coast, the time passed a bit slow and we were glad the game was over. One of the most boring games ever at ER and next season we won't even have the view to while away the hours so they can stick the ST where the sun don't shine !.
If Rod is happy to tout that as a product for next season then he should step aside as well.

zlatan
25-04-2010, 08:58 PM
I thought we only improved slightly in the second half because the huns went into 1st gear, they looked more than comfortable almost every time we attacked in the game.

If Miller was any good it could have been 3 or 4 by half time.

LaMotta
25-04-2010, 08:58 PM
I'd agree with that, if you watched kyle and lafferty they played off each other and knew where the other one was going to be. That's not the case with our front line, to often riordan and stokes where miles apart from each other so the killer pass never worked.

Lots of effort but still we have a way to go

I think Kyle and Lafferty are too similar to play up front as a partnership. In fact are they not the same person:greengrin

matty_f
25-04-2010, 08:59 PM
We were glad that we had a view down the coast, the time passed a bit slow and we were glad the game was over. One of the most boring games ever at ER and next season we won't even have the view to while away the hours so they can stick the ST where the sun don't shine !.
If Rod is happy to tout that as a product for next season then he should step aside as well.

Harsh, IMHO. We were minus Bamba, Miller and Zemmama and started with yet another makeshift back 4. Hogg went off at half time (presumably because of injury).

For the players that Yogi had available, I thought we gave a credible performance. I'd be expecting a lot better with our starting 11 available, but for what it was, it wasn't bad.

lyonhibs
25-04-2010, 09:00 PM
I think Kyle and Lafferty are too similar to play up front as a partnership. In fact are they not the same person:greengrin

No wonder we lost - the Huns had FOUR up front. Kenny and Miller ran riot as well :grr: :grr:

LaMotta
25-04-2010, 09:02 PM
No wonder we lost - the Huns had FOUR up front. Kenny and Miller ran riot as well :grr: :grr:

:faf:

HibbiesandtheBaddies
25-04-2010, 09:17 PM
We need a central midfielder in the squad that can run at defences. That would have made a difference today.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
25-04-2010, 09:19 PM
Harsh, IMHO. We were minus Bamba, Miller and Zemmama and started with yet another makeshift back 4. Hogg went off at half time (presumably because of injury).

For the players that Yogi had available, I thought we gave a credible performance. I'd be expecting a lot better with our starting 11 available, but for what it was, it wasn't bad.

:agree:

greenlex
25-04-2010, 09:20 PM
We need a central midfielder in the squad that can run at defences. That would have made a difference today.
My exact conversation at the game today at Half time. I would have hooked Wotherspoon for Benji at Half time and broght on Galbraith for Cregg with 20 to go and just went for it.

borstalboy
25-04-2010, 09:24 PM

Agree with this completely. We could have done with a Dean Shiels type of player today. Although, I think we need two full backs (along with a striker, centre mid, centre defence, wingers, not much though :wink:) who can get forward as well. I like Ian Murray, however, he is not a full back in my eyes...

Toaods
25-04-2010, 09:24 PM

...I saw lots of lack of effort today. That being when a normal footballer will put effort in and try to run by his man or trick him with a bit of skill rather than immediatley shirk it by slotting it back or hump it aimlessly forward.

Even the ever committed Ian Murray is starting to get dragged down to the level of most of his team mates. Rankine's disgrace of a ball to Deek on full time being a perfect example.

benrocky
25-04-2010, 09:45 PM
My exact conversation at the game today at Half time. I would have hooked Wotherspoon for Benji at Half time and broght on Galbraith for Cregg with 20 to go and just went for it.

Thank christ you don't pick the team !!!!!!!!!

Sir David Gray
25-04-2010, 09:46 PM

:agree: Rangers knew they only needed one goal to win the title. They got that goal pretty early on and from then on, they just had to focus on defending and making sure that they didn't concede.

However, I wouldn't describe our performance today as gutless or clueless as I thought we had some great chances and if we had had a competent referee in charge today then we might have got something out of the game.

truehibernian
25-04-2010, 09:53 PM
Best on show for me today was Murray, Thicot (really really good showing today), and Riordan. Wotherspoon just needs confidence but got himself into two great scoring positions through good pacy one touch football. Another poster was bang on though - Rangers never had to step up the gears, and we are slow, laboured, dithery, unimaginative and really........quite poor. Stokes and McCormack had stinkers, and I thought Smith for some reason second half had some sort of coupon on for 2-0 or 3-0, as he kicked shockingly twice under no pressure, and twice left balls to go out for corners when it was clear they had taken a touch of a Hibs head. Every player seemed to want to take a touch again instead of crisp one touch stuff. No pace or width and no real spark. No player(s) that gets the fans off their seats (other than Riordan on the odd occasion. And message for Alan Gow - son, and pass this on to the other subs, don't go chatting and joking with your ex team mates when you should be focused on warming up and getting those skinny wee legs moving. All four of the subs were larking around as per until Evans gets out and has them doing the most mediocre and unenthusiastic little sprint routine. Gow stands blethering with Broadface for 10 minutes. Am I just getting a right Meldrew-esque fan, or do others want to see our subs show a wee bit interest and desire, and not lark about. Maybe I just want a team of 15 right hard bar stewards that don't talk to the opposition at all until after the game and get right stuck into them for 90 minutes. Save the socialising for the boozer, facebook and twitter ya caaaant !