PDA

View Full Version : Riordan

shamo9
25-04-2010, 05:04 PM
Yogi needs to encourage McCormack, Cregg, Stokes etc to study his performance today as an example of someone actively looking for the ball and not being afraid to gamble, to try and beat his man - and most importantly, if it doesn't come off, to keep going.

Yes, he's inconsistent, but Riordan's still the only player in Scotland who you'd really fancy to cause problems from 40+ yards when he shaped up to shoot in the first half.

The worrying thing at the moment is we have too many players who are genuinely afraid of the ball; the minute they get it the first thing they think of is how quickly they can get rid. Only a handful are prepared to try something different from the easy square pass, even fewer confident enough to drive forward and ask questions. Is it confidence, or are a lot of them simply not good enough?

Allant1981
25-04-2010, 05:09 PM
a lot of them are just not good enough, mccormack has to be one of the worst defenders ive seen in a long time, rankin isnt anywhere near good enough. Tries hard but no end product. Cregg hasnt played enough but doesnt really look like the type of player i'd want in my midfield. Riordan may not be everyone cup of tea but id have him in my side every single week

Seveno
25-04-2010, 05:48 PM
I thought that Deek had his best game for a long time today. He was desperate to score in the second half and some better refereering might have helped him.

How close was the Rangers wall at the free kick near the end ?

murray26
25-04-2010, 05:50 PM
Deek and Hanlon where the two best Hibs players today, they are the only positives i took from todays game.

bingo70
25-04-2010, 05:52 PM
Deek and Hanlon where the two best Hibs players today, they are the only positives i took from todays game.

really?

thought we played well, i took plenty positives from the game today

aljo7-0
25-04-2010, 05:52 PM
I thought that Deek had his best game for a long time today. He was desperate to score in the second half and some better refereering might have helped him.

:agree: It was never 10 yeards to begin with and even closer when he took it.

blackpoolhibs
25-04-2010, 05:53 PM
There are still some numptys that dont see what Riordan gives to the team. And for the life of me, i cant understand why they want him out, and the team filled with rankins and Creggs.:bitchy:

bingo70
25-04-2010, 05:55 PM
There are still some numptys that dont see what Riordan gives to the team. And for the life of me, i cant understand why they want him out, and the team filled with rankins and Creggs.:bitchy:

because IMO the vast majority of people on here know absolutely hee haw about football :wink:

greenlex
25-04-2010, 05:55 PM
Riordan needs to move after he has passed the ball and look for a return or create space for someone else. Youngsters should be looking somewhere else for inspiration IMO. Having said that it doesnt make him either a bad player or alone in the team with that trait.

blackpoolhibs
25-04-2010, 06:00 PM
Riordan needs to move after he has passed the ball and look for a return or create space for someone else. Youngsters should be looking somewhere else for inspiration IMO. Having said that it doesnt make him either a bad player or alone in the team with that trait.

Naw, he just needs better players around him, to let him do what he does best, not tackling the opositions right back at the edge of his own box.

blackpoolhibs
25-04-2010, 06:01 PM
because IMO the vast majority of people on here know absolutely hee haw about football :wink:

Yip, its getting awfully lonely here at times.:wink:

Nuitdelune
25-04-2010, 06:02 PM
Yes, you are correct. Deeks would look a great deal better if surrounded by better players who understand what he can do and what he doesn't do You will never change him. He must be frustrated himself with some of the dorkiness around him but why oh why does he let wee Rankin take and waste some of the free kicks

bingo70
25-04-2010, 06:06 PM
Yes, you are correct. Deeks would look a great deal better if surrounded by better players who understand what he can do and what he doesn't do You will never change him. He must be frustrated himself with some of the dorkiness around him but why oh why does he let wee Rankin take and waste some of the free kicks

because sometimes it's a better angle for a left footer to take it.

marleyhib
25-04-2010, 06:09 PM
deek is quality, had a great game today and should have had a penalty

Nuitdelune
25-04-2010, 06:10 PM
Oh I see, I must be one of those who does not know anything about football! Still I hope he cuffs his pal about the lug after the match for wasting them

Sammy7nil
25-04-2010, 06:10 PM
really?

thought we played well, i took plenty positives from the game today

Very very few for me.
Poor Rangers team dominated the 1st half and with a bit luck may have been 3 or 4 up at Half time.
Played a bit better in 2nd Rangers never out of 2nd gear and we could not get a grip of the game Hanlon was good Riordan is the only player who looked like he wanted to score.

McCormack Nish Stokes Cregg Did they play ?

SRHibs
25-04-2010, 06:13 PM
The last few times I've watched Deeks he's actually being taking on a player instead of just turning and passing. It's good to see as he had been looking a bit sluggish in the first half of the season.

Other positives from the game:
Murray put in a decent shift as expected
Thicot looked solid when he came on
Rankin had a couple of nice touches
McBride was decent enough

Thing is, we're meant to be a passing team, but when we're under any pressure whatsoever our ball retention is awful. We had quite a lot of possession throughout the game without ever looking too threatening.

hibernian36
25-04-2010, 06:14 PM

I thought Thicot did well :top marks

bingo70
25-04-2010, 06:15 PM
Oh I see, I must be one of those who does not know anything about football! Still I hope he cuffs his pal about the lug after the match for wasting them

quite possibly :greengrin

ForeverHibs93
25-04-2010, 06:17 PM
Maybe just me but I thought Benji looked decent when he came on:agree:

Sammy7nil
25-04-2010, 06:17 PM
I thought Thicot did well :top marks

He did fine
BUT Rangers were not trying a leg at that point and were more than happy with 0 - 1 so you dont know how well he really did

HibbyAndy
25-04-2010, 06:19 PM
Slightly off topic here..Why the Hell does Rankin get anywhere near free kicks is truly staggering..And why the fek does he take corners?. only IMO but he offers absolute zero to the team and CONSTANTLY gives the ball away.

Would be the 1st player if i was Hughes to get rid of in the summer..A truly inept player that offers us nothing...Complete waste of a wage.

bingo70
25-04-2010, 06:19 PM
Very very few for me.
Poor Rangers team dominated the 1st half and with a bit luck may have been 3 or 4 up at Half time.
Played a bit better in 2nd Rangers never out of 2nd gear and we could not get a grip of the game Hanlon was good Riordan is the only player who looked like he wanted to score.

McCormack Nish Stokes Cregg Did they play ?

we finally found a midfield, hanlon was class, thicot did well when he came on, mcbride was back playing well, riordan played well and overall we were a completely different side to the pish we've been watching recently.

this 'pish rangers side' is a myth, they've not got many great individuals but they're a very very well organised team with a great team spirit and extremely hard to beat

marleyhib
25-04-2010, 07:02 PM
Slightly off topic here..Why the Hell does Rankin get anywhere near free kicks is truly staggering..And why the fek does he take corners?. only IMO but he offers absolute zero to the team and CONSTANTLY gives the ball away.

Would be the 1st player if i was Hughes to get rid of in the summer..A truly inept player that offers us nothing...Complete waste of a wage.

couldn't agree more

erin-go-bragh87
25-04-2010, 08:26 PM

Totally agree.

Back to the original topic, I think Riordan played very well today and realy looks like if he had some half decent service he would run a mock in this league.

IWasThere2016
25-04-2010, 08:27 PM

:confused: Murray, McBride and Thicot were good IMHO

YetholmHibee
25-04-2010, 09:16 PM

I thought Riordan wasted 2 free-kicks today! :confused:

Is Riordan exempt from any critism of his poor free-kicks? :confused:

I thought Riordan played okay today because Hibs were passing the ball on the ground today & not the high balls - probably because the pitch looked better.

The_Horde
25-04-2010, 09:17 PM

I thought Riordan played okay today because Hibs were passing the ball on the ground today & not the high balls - probably because the pitch looked better.

Wasted one, the ref + cheating huns wasted the 2nd.

matty_f
25-04-2010, 09:20 PM
I actually thought Deek was our MOTM today. Worked very hard, willing to take on his man, was our most likely source of a goal.

woody47
25-04-2010, 09:24 PM

But Rankin wastes EVERY free kick he takes. :grr:

As for Deek, thought he played well today. Problem with him at times is he is looking for players moving into spaces that he can see but they can't. If only we moved about more often the chances would come.
What do they actually do at the multi-million training ground? Play xbox games all day?

monktonharp
25-04-2010, 09:28 PM

Would be the 1st player if i was Hughes to get rid of in the summer..A truly inept player that offers us nothing...Complete waste of a wage.wot he said,and I think Imentioned earlier this season . he is pish. Riordan on the other hand,sign him on and build round him

Saorsa
25-04-2010, 09:29 PM

Would be the 1st player if i was Hughes to get rid of in the summer..A truly inept player that offers us nothing...Complete waste of a wage.:agree:

One of the few sensible things I've ever seen fae you :wink: :greengrin :thumbsup:

Ed De Gramo
25-04-2010, 09:33 PM

Would be the 1st player if I was Hughes to get rid of in the summer..A truly inept player that offers us nothing...Complete waste of a wage.

There's a scary thought....:wink:

ballengeich
25-04-2010, 09:51 PM

I disagree. Who set Wotherspoon up with a clear shot on goal?

IMO Rankin was far better than McBride or Cregg today. When they give a pass they move backwards to get a return so the opposition can give them the ball all 90 minutes without there being any danger of a goal resulting. Rankin makes mistakes, but he does at least try to move forward for return passes to take opposing defenders out of the game.

iwasthere1972
25-04-2010, 09:54 PM

About 5 yards I reckon and despite Deek's protests the ref did nought. :grr:

Saorsa
25-04-2010, 09:58 PM
About 5 yards I reckon and despite Deek's protests the ref did nought. :grr:nae surprise there though eh! f****n' little *****heid that he was

Big Frank
26-04-2010, 08:02 AM
because sometimes it's a better angle for a left footer to take it.

I'll wager you deek has the best left foot at ER.

When we discuss an angle for a right footed player, I'll wager that Deeks has the best right foot at ER.

Judas Iscariot
26-04-2010, 08:07 AM

When we discuss an angle for a right footed player, I'll wager that Deeks has the best right foot at ER.

:agree: :top marks

Deeks left peg is better than Rankins and that's not Deeks "strongest" foot either :wink:

greenlex
26-04-2010, 10:06 AM

:agree: :top marks

Deeks left peg is better than Rankins and that's not Deeks "strongest" foot either :wink:

Do you think they practice at East Mans with Deeks puting them in the onion bag regularly with his left and then when it comes to match day Rankin says to Deek "I know your left peg is miles better than mine but if its OK with you I will **** this free kick up?
I am sure I saw Deeks hit row Z with his right foot just yesterday (maybe it was the pitch). Maybe he should make way for Bamba to have a pop with his knob.

Big Frank
26-04-2010, 10:16 AM
Do you think they practice at East Mans with Deeks puting them in the onion bag regularly with his left and then when it comes to match day Rankin says to Deek "I know your left peg is miles better than mine but if its OK with you I will **** this free kick up?
I am sure I saw Deeks hit row Z with his right foot just yesterday (maybe it was the pitch). Maybe he should make way for Bamba to have a pop with his knob.

:faf:

Good stuff.

NoTottiNoParty
26-04-2010, 10:17 AM
I disagree. Who set Wotherspoon up with a clear shot on goal?

IMO Rankin was far better than McBride or Cregg today. When they give a pass they move backwards to get a return so the opposition can give them the ball all 90 minutes without there being any danger of a goal resulting. Rankin makes mistakes, but he does at least try to move forward for return passes to take opposing defenders out of the game.

I agree, I thought he was our best midfielder yesterday. McBride gave the ball away all the time as well.
I liked the fact that he took dogs abuse for a shan corner (justified to be fair because its not the first time) BUT he came back for the next one and took a decent corner for Hanlons header. He never hid!
I just wish his ability was as good as his attitude though.

Bad Martini
26-04-2010, 11:52 AM
Deek demonstrated why we would miss him if he wasn't at Easter Road.

And for corners, it's apparent we are ****ed:

1) If Riordan doesn't take them, they are shight and end up nowhere near him (or anyone else) to score...
2) If Riordan DOES take them, he canny be on the end of them to score....

We therefore need: Someone to bury (mostly) Deeks well weighted corners and free-kicks etc OR, we need someone else to get the ball TO him and the likes of Stokes. This is not Rankin.

Furthermore, I seen Riordan everywhere from our byline to the huns...and back. What more do people want? He was done out a penalty, set some good balls through, took a 40 yard raker which McGregor toiled to handle from distance and was bloody unlucky more times than I counted.

We NEED Riordan in this team. We need others to support him to and for others to do what he is doing and we need him, in the middle, for more goals.

Westie1875
26-04-2010, 12:01 PM

1) If Riordan doesn't take them, they are shight and end up nowhere near him (or anyone else) to score...

We therefore need: Someone to bury (mostly) Deeks well weighted corners and free-kicks etc OR, we need someone else to get the ball TO him and the likes of Stokes. This is not Rankin.

Furthermore, I seen Riordan everywhere from our byline to the huns...and back. What more do people want? He was done out a penalty, set some good balls through, took a 40 yard raker which McGregor toiled to handle from distance and was bloody unlucky more times than I counted.

We NEED Riordan in this team. We need others to support him to and for others to do what he is doing and we need him, in the middle, for more goals.

It puzzles me why Wotherspoon has never been allowed to take corners, we've all seen how good his crosses can be so he is surely worth a shot?

Sandy
26-04-2010, 12:36 PM

:top marks Whilst I have so far only been able to listen on line, the Beeb commentary was mentioning Deeks as the main man for Hibs, which we (nearly) all knew anyway, didn't we ?.

Andy74
26-04-2010, 01:37 PM
Riordan played better in terms of his all round game than he has done for some time.

He was taking players on and going past people which hasn't really been part of his game so far this season.

Riordan, Hanlon, McBride and Thicot when he came on were the best players on the day for me.

YetholmHibee
26-04-2010, 06:37 PM
Wasted one, the ref + cheating huns wasted the 2nd.

IMHO, the picture in the back of the Evening News suggests to me 2 wasted free kicks.

If the opposition players are not going to give Riordan the 10 yards he requires, then why not go to plan B ?

If you are not going to get the ball through or over the wall . . . then go round it.

Why can't Riordan lay it off for someone else to shoot?

It is not the first time this situation has happened this season - afterwards Riordan will flap his arms in protest but the chance has gone & been wasted.

For all there spare time at East Mains can they not work collectively on 3-4 different free kicks. :rolleyes:

Have we become too dependant on Riordan's free kicks & subsequently become predictable & tactically lazy.

Anyway, Riordan will redeem himself this weekend :wink:

At The Edge
26-04-2010, 07:00 PM
Thought he had a really good game, but its left me wondering...

Was he out to show Hughes that he is wanting to be part of Hibs plans next season or he does he know hes out the door and putting on a show for any interested clubs.
i hope its the former and hes staying :thumbsup:

CiscoKid
26-04-2010, 07:44 PM
I thought Riordan was our best player against the huns, he worked hard and had a completely different attitude to what I've seen from him during the second half of the season.

Still not sure about him long term and wonder if it's better for us and him if he moves on.

He is one of the most naturally talented Hibs players I've ever seen but it's been largely wasted by a lack of application. Whilst bringing in a few quid to us, a move to a decent Championship side like a Notts Forest, Reading or Swansea where he is away from any bad influences under a good manager and needs to prove himself could help him finally realise his true potential, I don't think he is ever going to do that at Hibs.

Big Frank
26-04-2010, 07:48 PM
I thought Riordan was our best player against the huns, he worked hard and had a completely different attitude to what I've seen from him during the second half of the season.

Still not sure about him long term and wonder if it's better for us and him if he moves on.

:faf::faf::faf:

He is one of the most naturally talented Hibs players I've ever seen but it's been largely wasted by a lack of application.

Whilst bringing in a few quid to us, a move to a decent Championship side like a Notts Forest, Reading or Swansea where he is away from any bad influences under a good manager and needs to prove himself could help him finally realise his true potential, I don't think he is ever going to do that at Hibs.

Dearie dear!

Surely, SURELY only a yam could post such drivel:faf:

Westie1875
26-04-2010, 07:53 PM
Thought he had a really good game, but its left me wondering...

Was he out to show Hughes that he is wanting to be part of Hibs plans next season or he does he know hes out the door and putting on a show for any interested clubs.

i hope its the former and hes staying :thumbsup:

Or how about he was just giving his all for his team for no other reason that wanting to win the game.