PDA

View Full Version : Let us look forward

marjoriebanks
25-04-2010, 03:55 PM
Nearly over, a season which had a few highs, a number of lows and the majority of games being poor or very poor standard. John Hughes started off well in respect of his presentation, enthusiasm and encouraging noises in terms of what he was trying to achieve. However repeating it every week does not make it happen and now the acid test where he has to regroup during the summer months and look to add more quality to a team where there are glaring weaknesses. Without slating individuals which happens too regularly on here, the deficiencies that others have noted, the right back, centre half, a midfielder with craft to play in forwards and a forward that can hold and bring the midfield forward to support are areas that I feel need attention. The luxury players such as Derek Riordan who is one of the most talented forwards that I have seen at Easter Road may have to be sacrificed for someone with less talent but a greater capacity to work back and forwards something that Riordan cannot provide.
I can hear the cries that he is playing in the wrong position but on the occasions when he has been pushed up front, the Celtic game at home at the start of the season his lack of pace lets him down and he really needs to be five yards behind the play to pick up second balls which allow him the space and time to use his ability to shoot. His contribution may come in providing transfer funds to Hughes to add players.
The others to go have been regularly mentioned in posts and it should be said that some of them have contributed well to some games but to improve Hughes will have to look for players who are one notch above in quality. The youngsters should not be forgotten and there are several promising players there but over a full season I hoped that he would have spared the likes of David Wotherspoon and not having him looking a poor impersonation of the player that started the season.:pray:

Bob Box Fish
25-04-2010, 04:02 PM
I fear for next season under the current regime I think this time next season we could be fighting for our lives.

Scorrie
25-04-2010, 04:05 PM
I fear for next season under the current regime I think this time next season we could be fighting for our lives.

Mebbe a bit early to be saying this. Let's see what the next 2 transfer windows bring and the changes in personnel which i think Yogi still wants to make. His interview in today's Scotland on Sunday isnt bad in this regard. Hopefully he will recognise our weak areas and deal with them

Jim44
25-04-2010, 04:23 PM

:agree: Hughes's time at Hibs is just like his time at Falkirk, condensed into 10months..................early success and promise, media darling talking the talk, chinks in the armour getting wider as time passes etc. I've no doubt that he would have sunk with Falkirk this season and I've no doubt that we will struggle next season if he's kept on. It's embarrassing now to think about the early talk of our potential problem of holding on to Hughes and his reaching for the stars in the English Championship and Premier. Hughes's stock is very low and falling and I honestly think he will end up drifting around the Scottish First and Second divisions. I like the man but I think he has flattered to deceive for long enough and much as I shudder to think about our problems with managers in recent years, I see no future for anyone in a Hughes/Hibs relationship. :tin hat: