PDA

View Full Version : Yogi interview:

Pedantic_Hibee
25-04-2010, 08:19 AM
http://sport.scotsman.com/football/Interview-John-Hughes-Hibs-manager.6251749.jp (http://sport.scotsman.com/football/Interview-John-Hughes-Hibs-manager.6251749.jp)

Good interview in today's Scotland on Sunday.

Open, honest and most importantly, aware.

Betty Boop
25-04-2010, 08:51 AM
http://sport.scotsman.com/football/Interview-John-Hughes-Hibs-manager.6251749.jp (http://sport.scotsman.com/football/Interview-John-Hughes-Hibs-manager.6251749.jp)

Good interview in today's Scotland on Sunday.

Open, honest and most importantly, aware.

He seems to have a thinly veiled dig at Riordan, quite worrying actually. :bitchy:

Hibbyradge
25-04-2010, 08:59 AM
He seems to have a thinly veiled dig at Riordan, quite worrying actually. :bitchy:

What are you worried about? :confused:

Betty Boop
25-04-2010, 09:08 AM
What are you worried about? :confused:

That he might not be here in the summer.

Hibbyradge
25-04-2010, 09:12 AM
That he might not be here in the summer.

I see. Fair enough.

However, Deek won't get to play as an out an out striker while Stokes is here, so his contribution to the team needs to be more industrious.

If he's not providing that, what options does Yogi have?

Having said that, I think this was just a kick up the jacksie for Deek in the hopoe of getting a bit more work out of him for the rest of the season.

I think he'll be here next year.

Betty Boop
25-04-2010, 09:19 AM
I see. Fair enough.

However, Deek won't get to play as an out an out striker while Stokes is here, so his contribution to the team needs to be more industrious.

If he's not providing that, what options does Yogi have?

Having said that, I think this was just a kick up the jacksie for Deek in the hopoe of getting a bit more work out of him for the rest of the season.

I think he'll be here next year.

I hope you are right. :greengrin

Westie1875
25-04-2010, 09:24 AM
I don't see it as a dig, he is just explaining the difference between a player like Derek and a player like Murray. 11 players with Murray's desire won't win you the game if none of them are technically gifted, thats why you need players like Derek as well.

NORTHERNHIBBY
25-04-2010, 10:27 AM

Have to say that is the way I have read this as well. Ian Murray comes across as the kind of player that Hughes wants to see in every Hibs shirt. Not in terms of ability, but in terms of application and commitment. The the statements about big name players having to move, weak characters and then Riordan mentioned. No question that he would be loss if he were to move away, but it would not be the end.

Iain G
25-04-2010, 10:28 AM
Interesting enough interview, mostly just rehashing what he has been saying all season, but I expect a fair amount of movement in and out this summer still.

Yogi is aware, but is he self aware, he needs to keep on improving his own performance and start using formations and use of players & subs to his advantage, if he can add this to his skill set and improve the squad then perhaps we will have a more consistant season next year. :agree:

col02
25-04-2010, 10:34 AM
I would actually argue he is talking Riordan up with his comments rather than having a dig. You are not going to get him playing defence as he is not suited to that type of play but he is going to pull you a goal out of nothing which wins games in essence a luxury type player that delivers goals. I would suggest he probably said the same things about Latapy when he played for his Falkirk team.

Earl of Currie
25-04-2010, 10:40 AM
I would suggest that Stokes would be the mre likely one to move on for a fat fee.

Signing somebody like Kyle would allow a 4-4-2 set-up and mean that Riordan can play in a free role off Kyle.

The comments regarding finding space suit a player like Riordan and also allows the big target man up front.

Toaods
25-04-2010, 10:42 AM
I don't see it as a dig, he is just explaining the difference between a player like Derek and a player like Murray. 11 players with Murray's desire won't win you the game if none of them are technically gifted, thats why you need players like Derek as well.

funny how he regularly fails to highlight the lack of goals from so many of our 'hard working' players.
Don't loose sight of the main target... Goals win games.

If I wanted to be impressed by 11 grafters I'd be watching the reincarnated Airdrie every week.

Expecting Rain
25-04-2010, 10:45 AM
The perception that he might need three or four transfer windows is more likely to be closer to the truth than he would have liked to admit, the good players are here for half of their contracts before they are moved on for a profit, the team is always in a state of transition, a better balanced squad is iprobably the most difficult to build, Yogi will have to make decisions a lot quicker next season, in the short and the long term, i wish him all the best.

Hibs90
25-04-2010, 10:45 AM
I will have to bring players with that mentality to the club but I'm hoping there are already some in that dressing room. It might come to the stage that one or two noses have to be put out of joint or one or two big names have to be moved on because nobody is bigger than the club. They have to buy into the hard work.

Bamba and Deeks?

Brooster
25-04-2010, 10:48 AM
Application and commitment are a must - Yogi will weed out the guys who dont show that on a daily basis, we know who they are.

stubru59
25-04-2010, 11:10 AM
I confidently expect at least five players to move in the summer. Some of them due to contracts expiring, others because they are simply not up to it.

Hughes has more or less said one or two big names could be on his willing to let go list.

Cropley10
25-04-2010, 11:22 AM
John Yogi Hughes, World Talking Champion.

Andy74
25-04-2010, 11:25 AM
Reading that reminds me how embarassing it is that people think getting rid of yogi will sort out any of the clubs problems. So wide of the mark it's not real.

Davy Mac
25-04-2010, 11:52 AM
"I believe you can instil that winning mentality in some players, giving some a kick up the backside and others a cuddle, but nine times out of ten, the players you always need to cuddle are the ones who, in the big games when the pressure is on, will let you down," admits Hughes. "It's the ones who go out there and can do it for themselves and grasp the concept of what's required, they are the ones who are usually winners."

Yogi is spot on with this conclusion IMO.

But sadly players like that cost a lot of money and in all honesty how many players do we currently have this winning 'metality'?

Yogi is right, it will take 3-4 years and I'm happy to buy into this theory as I'm sick to the back teeth of pretty much every season in my lifetime lying down to teams when the going gets tough.

Now the stadium and debt is under control let's get this sorted.

Mag7
25-04-2010, 11:53 AM
Reading that reminds me how embarassing it is that people think getting rid of yogi will sort out any of the clubs problems. So wide of the mark it's not real.

There's no doubt Yogi comes across well in most interviews, and particularly so in this one IMHO, but does he know how to put into practice what he preaches? Talk will take you nowhere if you don't have the managerial talent to implement your philosophy successfully. Yogi knows where he wants to take Hibs but current evidence on the pitch indicates he's struggling to do so. OK, mabye he does need more time but I still think any half decent manager would have found a way of at least halting the appalling run of defeats in recent months.

hibernator
25-04-2010, 12:38 PM
funny how he regularly fails to highlight the lack of goals from so many of our 'hard working' players.
Don't loose sight of the main target... Goals win games.

If I wanted to be impressed by 11 grafters I'd be watching the reincarnated Airdrie every week.

but would you want a team of Deeks :confused: who would win the ball to give to Deeks :faf:

the comparison is more than fair, if we were really really struggling for a forward Murray could be used and might even score (though he has missed a few decent chances it has to be said) he would definitely stop who ever he was up against getting any time on the ball, but how do you think Deeks would cope with Kyle, Higdon, Duchar, guys who don't score much, but up against Riordan:hmmm:

Yogi knows he needs to add to the team with players that will allow Deeks to find that "space" remember how much work big GOC was willing to put in and think how it benefited Riordan, I am sure that is what he is saying, get the balance right, no digs just the way it really is.:wink:

Sumner
25-04-2010, 01:12 PM

Exactly. :agree:

Yes, some big names may have to leave...
those names will be "Derek" and "Riordan"

To make a mistake once is careless, twice is stupid.
Hibs not learning from history, just repeating.

Betty Boop
25-04-2010, 05:46 PM
Exactly. :agree:

Yes, some big names may have to leave...
those names will be "Derek" and "Riordan"

To make a mistake once is careless, twice is stupid.
Hibs not learning from history, just repeating.

:agree:

Sammy7nil
25-04-2010, 06:02 PM
Quite happy to give Yogi another year but FFS get some new material.

Hibs are a softer touch now than we ever were under Mixu and have been for months Hamilton 4 - 1 St Johnstone 5 - 1 etc etc

His comment about Murray and Riordan are farcical.

Would you ask Messi to play Left Back or Centre Half ?

Eh No

So why would we expect Riordan to be able to play there

Deeks is the most gifted player at ER other than Zemmama if he cannot fit him in our team if says more about Yogi than Riordan

Phil D. Rolls
25-04-2010, 06:10 PM
Quite happy to give Yogi another year but FFS get some new material.

Hibs are a softer touch now than we ever were under Mixu and have been for months Hamilton 4 - 1 St Johnstone 5 - 1 etc etc

His comment about Murray and Riordan are farcical.

Would you ask Messi to play Left Back or Centre Half ?

Eh No

So why would we expect Riordan to be able to play there

Deeks is the most gifted player at ER other than Zemmama if he cannot fit him in our team if says more about Yogi than Riordan

Yogi should be building a team around Derek, not trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.

Steve20
25-04-2010, 06:20 PM
Not been impressed with Yogi, but thought that was quite a good interview to be honest.

No idea what anyone could have a problem with.

bingo70
25-04-2010, 06:24 PM
Not been impressed with Yogi, but thought that was quite a good interview to be honest.

because anything Yogi says now is being twisted to back up peoples views on him, he's being slated about his interviews before he's even given the interview FFS.

Arch Stanton
25-04-2010, 06:56 PM

I found that interview intensely annoying. Once he has the team playing well he can start talking about getting Hibs to be great - until then he is just spouting hot air.

Tha Cabbage Kid
25-04-2010, 08:21 PM
Yogi should be building a team around Derek, not trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.

FR your absolutley right. you hear yogi talking about can you play him at cen half? what? and.......why? he is a striker who will almost gaentee you 20 goals a season. why play him anywhere else? get him up front and get someone elsle to play his position. f--kin infuriates me when i hear this sh-t!
thicot today showed he is a cen half not a right back! could be a class act if played in the right position same old story though

Tha Cabbage Kid
25-04-2010, 08:25 PM
oh and........great teams come from players enjoying playing football. i can imagine all our players a happy with being played out of position.
wotherspoon thicot hogg bamba riordan stokes rankin er......who else? im sure there are a few others!!

3pm
25-04-2010, 08:31 PM

How is it embarrassing? is just because some of us have a different opinion to you?

Hibby 2005
25-04-2010, 11:01 PM
Andy knows everything, Yogi however, can ONLY talk.

ScottB
26-04-2010, 12:47 AM
So Yogi is now moaning about players needing a hug being bottlers, has he not been talking about needing to give just about every player a hug after each of the last 15 awful games??

He's always talked the talk, lets see if he can actually put some points on the board between now and the end of the season...

RIP
26-04-2010, 06:33 AM
This simply reinforces what I've long suspected

At Hibs the coach doesn't make the hire or fire decisions. Yogi couldn't ship Deeks out if he wanted to (hopefully he doesn't want to)

Mowbray tried motivation.
Collins tried to get tough.
Mixu tried to be everyone's mate
Yogi's tried airing his frustrations publicly

Maybe some players think they are the club and the manager is just there to take the training

Sadly - they may be right. Managers seem to be ten a penny at the club these days. Do ST's get a boost when the current manager gets binned and a new manager comes in? Is it the players that sell the ST's - or the manager?

What would be the Accountant's view?