PDA

View Full Version : Pat Stanton's Hibernian Dream Team

Jonnyboy
24-04-2010, 08:43 PM
Hope it's ok to start this separate thread but I had said I'd offer up a view on this book after having read it so here you go :greengrin

You won’t find a Hibs fan on this planet who doesn’t think that Pat Stanton is a living Hibernian Legend and so I was thrilled when given a copy of his latest book to review. “Pat Stanton’s Hibernian Dream Team” was written in conjunction with Ted Brack, a devoted Hibby himself and author of the recently published and quite excellent “There is a Bonny Fitba’ Team”

In this latest publication Pat sets about the difficult task of selecting a dream team from players with whom he played whilst at Hibs as well as Hibs players he watched both before and after his own career began and ended. It’s a fascinating insight into the man’s thought processes and it is jammed with little anecdotes, many of which I was reading for the first time! It’s a very honestly written book and is controversial in parts though always thought provoking and very well written and presented.

I’m loathe to spoil it by giving too much away but if I tell you that players like Andy Goram, John McNamee, Johnny McLeod, Willie Ormond and Steve Archibald only made the Second Xl you’ll gather that the guys in the first team must have been pretty special!

To help Pat out he was permitted to name seven subs and in selecting those he squeezed in a few that might otherwise have been demoted to the Second Xl :greengrin Also selected is a manager, a captain, a physio and a managing director and once again Pat gives his thought process behind each of those selections.

The book launches on Thursday but is already available in bookshops and I would urge any fan, regardless of age to seriously consider buying it because it is one of the best Hibs books I’ve ever had the pleasure to read. I can add that Pat’s dry sense of humour is much in evidence and that on more than one occasion I laughed out loud at some of his wee stories.

If you’re birthday’s coming up you know what to ask for and if it’s not then ask for it anyway, you won’t regret it :wink:

The Harp
24-04-2010, 09:06 PM
Hope it's ok to start this separate thread but I had said I'd offer up a view on this book after having read it so here you go :greengrin

You won’t find a Hibs fan on this planet who doesn’t think that Pat Stanton is a living Hibernian Legend and so I was thrilled when given a copy of his latest book to review. “Pat Stanton’s Hibernian Dream Team” was written in conjunction with Ted Brack, a devoted Hibby himself and author of the recently published and quite excellent “There is a Bonny Fitba’ Team”

In this latest publication Pat sets about the difficult task of selecting a dream team from players with whom he played whilst at Hibs as well as Hibs players he watched both before and after his own career began and ended. It’s a fascinating insight into the man’s thought processes and it is jammed with little anecdotes, many of which I was reading for the first time! It’s a very honestly written book and is controversial in parts though always thought provoking and very well written and presented.

I’m loathe to spoil it by giving too much away but if I tell you that players like Andy Goram, John McNamee, Johnny McLeod, Willie Ormond and Steve Archibald only made the Second Xl you’ll gather that the guys in the first team must have been pretty special!
To help Pat out he was permitted to name seven subs and in selecting those he squeezed in a few that might otherwise have been demoted to the Second Xl :greengrin Also selected is a manager, a captain, a physio and a managing director and once again Pat gives his thought process behind each of those selections.

The book launches on Thursday but is already available in bookshops and I would urge any fan, regardless of age to seriously consider buying it because it is one of the best Hibs books I’ve ever had the pleasure to read. I can add that Pat’s dry sense of humour is much in evidence and that on more than one occasion I laughed out loud at some of his wee stories.

If you’re birthday’s coming up you know what to ask for and if it’s not then ask for it anyway, you won’t regret it :wink:

You've got me wondering now if Pat has selected himself for the first team!!!
Certainly hope so ... modesty only stretches so far.
Look forward to getting my hands on a copy on Thurs. :flag:

Jonnyboy
24-04-2010, 09:07 PM
You've got me wondering now if Pat has selected himself for the first team!!! Certainly hope so ... modesty only stretches so far.
Look forward to getting my hands on a copy on Thurs. :flag:

I couldn't possibly say :greengrin

vahibbie
24-04-2010, 09:17 PM
I hope at least one of his midfielders is over 5 foot:devil:

Hainan Hibs
24-04-2010, 09:25 PM
I just hope for Pat's sake he has selected a team that is Hibs Class.:agree::greengrin

Alfred E Newman
24-04-2010, 09:33 PM
I have a video somewhere recorded from the old Hibs TV on Sky from a few years ago which featured film clips of Stantons dream team and incuded Eric Stevenson on the left wing. Is this team the same team? I have a feeling I lent the vid to someone and never got it back :grr:

jws1875
24-04-2010, 09:51 PM
I read the first 2 pages in the shop and i will be definetly getting this :agree:

Stantons Angel
24-04-2010, 10:47 PM
Birthday?

That got me thinking....... my son has a birthday next month and guess what he will find amongst his pressies??? A book written by GOD and its not the bible!

I have also got my copy and reading it keeps me from going stir crazy whilst i am stuck at home.

Good luck with the sales Pat, EVERY true Hibby should purchase a copy of this just because it has his name on it. This assures you that it will be like the man himself..... a class act...............!:agree:

Jonnyboy
25-04-2010, 07:12 PM
I have a video somewhere recorded from the old Hibs TV on Sky from a few years ago which featured film clips of Stantons dream team and incuded Eric Stevenson on the left wing. Is this team the same team? I have a feeling I lent the vid to someone and never got it back :grr:

Different selections Malcolm :agree:

Future17
25-04-2010, 07:18 PM

Different selections Malcolm :agree:

At the time of the Sky version, Pat was yet to see the legendary Amadou Konte in a Hibs jersey.

Hainan Hibs
25-04-2010, 07:19 PM
At the time of the Sky version, Pat was yet to see the legendary Amadou Konte in a Hibs jersey.

Donaldson, O'Brien, Kerr, recent years will have thrown up some challenges for big Pat:agree:

Bayern Bru
25-04-2010, 07:21 PM
:top marks for the review John.

Looking forward to the book launch already - if the players who are rumoured to turn up for it do, there'll be some history in the West Stand that night.

See you there folks!
:thumbsup:

Donaldson, O'Brien, Kerr, recent years will have thrown up some challenges for big Pat:agree:

I can exclusively reveal that Hakim Sar was very unlucky to narrowly miss out as Pat felt it only right to include Peter Guggi in the centre of midfield.

:agree:

Jonnyboy
25-04-2010, 07:26 PM
:top marks for the review John.

Looking forward to the book launch already - if the players who are rumoured to turn up for it do, there'll be some history in the West Stand that night.

See you there folks!
:thumbsup:

I can exclusively reveal that Hakim Sar was very unlucky to narrowly miss out as Pat felt it only right to include Peter Guggi in the centre of midfield.

Mind and say hello LH :thumbsup:

Bayern Bru
25-04-2010, 08:03 PM
Mind and say hello LH :thumbsup:

Will do. I'll keep an eye out for someone who looks like your avatar :greengrin

Jonnyboy
25-04-2010, 10:07 PM
Will do. I'll keep an eye out for someone who looks like your avatar :greengrin

Should find me easily then :greengrin

Seveno
26-04-2010, 12:12 PM
What time is the launch ?

Pat Stanton was the finest player I've ever seen in a Hibs jersey.

Future17
26-04-2010, 01:38 PM
What time is the launch ?

Thursday's launch is invitation only I'm afraid but the book is available in stores now and Jonnyboy has confirmed the following signing dates:

Friday 30 April 6pm -7pm Waterstone's Ocean Terminal
Saturday 1 May 9.30am to 10.30am Hibs Clubstore
Saturday 8 May WH Smith The Gyle 1pm to 2pm
Saturday 15 May Waterstone's Livingston 1pm to 2pm
Thursday 27 May Sports Forum and Signing Hibs Supporters Club 7.30pm

on this thread:

http://www.hibs.net/message/showthread.php?t=180853

Seveno
26-04-2010, 09:27 PM
Thursday's launch is invitation only I'm afraid but the book is available in stores now and Jonnyboy has confirmed the following signing dates:

on this thread:

http://www.hibs.net/message/showthread.php?t=180853 (http://www.hibs.net/message/showthread.php?t=180853)

Thanks, mate. :thumbsup:

Hibbie_Cameron
26-04-2010, 09:31 PM
I have the book already, wont spoil it for anyone though:wink:

Jonnyboy
26-04-2010, 09:33 PM
Folks

Having read the book cover to cover can I take the opportunity to point out that in these humdrum days of being downhearted about the club we love this book is hugely uplifting and helped me regain some of my failing enthusiasm :thumbsup:

Loads of great views on past players and a few interesting views on our current crop :wink:

Bayern Bru
26-04-2010, 10:36 PM
Folks

Having read the book cover to cover can I take the opportunity to point out that in these humdrum days of being downhearted about the club we love this book is hugely uplifting and helped me regain some of my failing enthusiasm :thumbsup:

Loads of great views on past players and a few interesting views on our current crop :wink:

A certain goalkeeper per chance?
:wink:

Forza Fred
27-04-2010, 08:21 AM
Presumably it will be available from the Club Shop soon so that us overseas punters can easily get hold of it.

Anybody know?

MacTheRat
27-04-2010, 08:42 AM

I'll second that!

How Pat never figured in 'Scotland's Greatest Team' on STV recently is a mystery.

Looking forward to reading this book.

Stantons Angel
27-04-2010, 09:17 AM
If Pat had worn the other shade of green worn in the west of Scotland he would have had more Scotland caps than any of their players at the time.

This Glasgow bias still exists today when the player is chosen regardless of whether he is playing for his club at the time or not...... :confused:

Jonnyboy
27-04-2010, 01:09 PM
A certain goalkeeper per chance?
:wink:

Goalkeepers actually :greengrin

Oh aye and one of our top scorers :wink:

Mikeystewart
27-04-2010, 01:49 PM
How much is the book £'s?

Future17
27-04-2010, 02:23 PM
how much is the book £'s?

rrp = £9.99

isbn: 978 1 84502 287 7

Johnny_Leith
27-04-2010, 03:05 PM
I got a sneak preview of the book from a source close to Stanton. The best XI is:

Zbignew Malkowski

Thierry Gathuessi
Abderouf Zarabi
Colin Murdock
Kevin Nichol

Brian Kerr
Jarkko Wiss
Alan O'Brien
Ross Chisolm

Eduardo Hurtado
Frederick Daquin

Future17
27-04-2010, 04:46 PM
I got a sneak preview of the book from a source close to Stanton. The best XI is:

Zbignew Malkowski

Thierry Gathuessi
Abderouf Zarabi
Colin Murdock
Kevin Nichol

Brian Kerr
Jarkko Wiss
Alan O'Brien
Ross Chisolm

Eduardo Hurtado
Frederick Daquin

Disgraceful......Nicol was never a defender!!

Bayern Bru
27-04-2010, 05:44 PM
Disgraceful......Nicol was never a defender!!

To be fair, neither were any of the others listed as defenders...!
:greengrin

Ray_
27-04-2010, 07:16 PM
Presumably it will be available from the Club Shop soon so that us overseas punters can easily get hold of it.

Anybody know?

I bought it from the shop on Thursday.

crash
27-04-2010, 07:41 PM

Anybody know?

Available from Amazon.

NaeTechnoHibby
27-04-2010, 09:10 PM
I was in Livingston Centre today and I saw that he's appearing to sign it, at Waterston's in May :thumbsup:, cannae rember the day though :bitchy:

Removed
27-04-2010, 09:13 PM
I was in Livingston Centre today and I saw that he's appearing to sign it, at Waterston's in May :thumbsup:, cannae rember the day though :bitchy:

Sat 15th

Ted's just confirmed the following

Removed
27-04-2010, 11:10 PM
From today's Herald Diary

Sweet memories

HIBS legend Pat Stanton launches a book next week on who would be in his dream Hibernian team. A contender is fullback Willie Miller, one of the hardest players, says Pat, to play for the team. However, one day Willie complained of a headache, and manager Alex Miller told him to take some paracetamol. As he didn’t look too great, Alex asked him later if had taken the medicine. When Willie said no, Alex asked him why not. “Because when my mother gives me paracetamol she always puts jam on the tablets,” replied the tough guy

Looking forward to reading it

Jonnyboy
27-04-2010, 11:11 PM
From today's Herald Diary

Sweet memories

HIBS legend Pat Stanton launches a book next week on who would be in his dream Hibernian team. A contender is fullback Willie Miller, one of the hardest players, says Pat, to play for the team. However, one day Willie complained of a headache, and manager Alex Miller told him to take some paracetamol. As he didn’t look too great, Alex asked him later if had taken the medicine. When Willie said no, Alex asked him why not. “Because when my mother gives me paracetamol she always puts jam on the tablets,” replied the tough guy

Looking forward to reading it

Just one of many amusing stories B :greengrin

Jonnyboy
28-04-2010, 09:20 PM
Nice wee bit by David Hardie in the EEN :thumbsup:

http://sport.scotsman.com/hibernianfc/Hibs-Pat-Stanton-reveals-bad.6258385.jp

Jonnyboy
29-04-2010, 10:04 PM
Was at the official book launch tonight and there was a veritable bevy of Hibee stalwarts from the past. Lawrie Reilly, Alex Cropley, Alex Edwards, John Brownlie, John Blackley, Neil Martin and of course Pat Stanton.

A few cracking wee stories told but my favourite came from big Neil Martin who was commenting on the fact that Jock Stein dumped Hibs to go and manage Celtic when the Hibees were in with a realistic chance of winning the double. Neil said he felt Stein leaving us in the ***** (his words not mine :greengrin) when he did was such a hammer blow to the confidence in the ER dressing room that our season just petered out ..... but not before Hibs had gone to Parkhead, won 4-2 and Neil got a first half hat trick which prompted him to head straight for Stein to give him a V sign :greengrin

Future17
29-04-2010, 10:47 PM
Was at the official book launch tonight and there was a veritable bevy of Hibee stalwarts from the past. Lawrie Reilly, Alex Cropley, Alex Edwards, John Brownlie, John Blackley, Neil Martin and of course Pat Stanton.

A few cracking wee stories told but my favourite came from big Neil Martin who was commenting on the fact that Jock Stein dumped Hibs to go and manage Celtic when the Hibees were in with a realistic chance of winning the double. Neil said he felt Stein leaving us in the ***** (his words not mine :greengrin) when he did was such a hammer blow to the confidence in the ER dressing room that our season just petered out ..... but not before Hibs had gone to Parkhead, won 4-2 and Neil got a first half hat trick which prompted him to head straight for Stein to give him a V sign :greengrin

Was a good night. Eric Stevenson and Ian Murray also in attendance from a playing point of view.

Grant Stott also did a cracking job with a short interview slot with all the players present.

Jonnyboy
29-04-2010, 10:51 PM
Was a good night. Eric Stevenson and Ian Murray also in attendance from a playing point of view.

Grant Stott also did a cracking job with a short interview slot with all the players present.

Can't believe I missed Stevie off my list :doh: One of my all time favourite Hibbies :thumbsup:

Bishop Hibee
29-04-2010, 10:51 PM
Fortunate to have had an invite and went along. Great night with a lot of well-kent Hibee faces, players and fans.

Looking forward to reading the book.

GGTTH!

Jonnyboy
29-04-2010, 10:52 PM
Fortunate to have had an invite and went along. Great night with a lot of well-kent Hibee faces, players and fans.

Looking forward to reading the book.

GGTTH!

It won't disappoint BH :agree:

Jamie
30-04-2010, 12:04 AM

:faf: aye that was class :top marks

Future17
30-04-2010, 08:45 AM

Can't believe I missed Stevie off my list :doh: One of my all time favourite Hibbies :thumbsup:

Was looking out for you last night Jonnyboy. Were you wearing a brightly coloured checked shirt by any chance?

Boris
30-04-2010, 08:59 AM

He didn't get to interview wee Mickey Edwards though, one of the finest passers of a ball I've ever seen. Looked like wee Mickey "picked up an injury" while relaxing in the Four in Hand in between the afternoon press event & the evening launch......... Still, at least he didni jump oot the windae......:greengrin

Future17
30-04-2010, 11:04 AM
He didn't get to interview wee Mickey Edwards though, one of the finest passers of a ball I've ever seen. Looked like wee Mickey "picked up an injury" while relaxing in the Four in Hand in between the afternoon press event & the evening launch......... Still, at least he didni jump oot the windae......:greengrin

True. :greengrin

Disappointing that he and ES weren't there for the signing, but fair play to them for turning out earlier in the day.

PatHead
30-04-2010, 03:54 PM
Was there myself and had a great evening. Got my son's photo with his namesake, Neil Martin.

One of the favourite parts was the John Brownlie interview about his previous life in Ireland. Poor Grant Stott was getting desperate and was glad John Blackley pulled him out the hole. Think the "training" had tired Brownlie out as well.

Also noted the comment Ian Murray made about how the current team could learn a lot from these guys particularly about team spirit. Was he alluding to a lack of spirit in the current team or am I reading too much into it.

Bayern Bru
30-04-2010, 04:22 PM
Was there myself and had a great evening. Got my son's photo with his namesake, Neil Martin.

One of the favourite parts was the John Brownlie interview about his previous life in Ireland. Poor Grant Stott was getting desperate and was glad John Blackley pulled him out the hole. Think the "training" had tired Brownlie out as well.

Also noted the comment Ian Murray made about how the current team could learn a lot from these guys particularly about team spirit. Was he alluding to a lack of spirit in the current team or am I reading too much into it.

I think you're not far off the mark tbh. His comment about "learning a lot " from the TTs spoke volumes. Then again I could be reading too much into it!

mim
30-04-2010, 04:32 PM
..... but not before Hibs had gone to Parkhead, won 4-2 and Neil got a first half hat trick which prompted him to head straight for Stein to give him a V sign :greengrin
I was at that game. We scored 4 goals in the first 20 minutes. :thumbsup:

Unfortunately, when Stein had a few days to make an impact, they came to ER and humped us 4-0. :boo hoo:

Jonnyboy
30-04-2010, 09:13 PM
Was looking out for you last night Jonnyboy. Were you wearing a brightly coloured checked shirt by any chance?

No way I'd commit such a fashion faux pa :faf:

Stantons Angel
30-04-2010, 10:09 PM
He didn't get to interview wee Mickey Edwards though, one of the finest passers of a ball I've ever seen. Looked like wee Mickey "picked up an injury" while relaxing in the Four in Hand in between the afternoon press event & the evening launch......... Still, at least he didni jump oot the windae......

I remember him from the days when you used to go along and wonder just how many goals hibs would score that day, rather than now when we wonder IF we are going to score at all!!!!

One night wee alex did jump oot a windae when the polis arrived at a party we were attending. The horror i felt watching his wee backside disappear out the kitchen window still makes me laugh!!!! Wot a guy he was back then and probably still is today.

Ah memories...........:greengrin

Jonnyboy
03-05-2010, 03:19 PM
Just a wee update from Ted folks

"Pat is on 'The Hour' on STV this Friday and we're signing copies of the book with Lawrie Reilly at WH Smith in the Gyle from 1pm to 2pm on Saturday"

Boris
03-05-2010, 05:20 PM
One night wee alex did jump oot a windae when the polis arrived at a party we were attending. The horror i felt watching his wee backside disappear out the kitchen window still makes me laugh!!!! Wot a guy he was back then and probably still is today.

Ah memories...........:greengrin

Maybe he was being stalked by a scary burd........ just as well you didn't jump oot the windae after him. I mean, you wouldn't want to do yir back in.............:devil:

Stantons Angel
03-05-2010, 07:36 PM
BORIS!!!!!

He was not being stalked by anyone ............

you are unbelievable you are!!!

Thanks for enquiring how my back is, actually much better and i can now walk again.......

Going to watch my "bairn" play in the Irish cup final in Belfast at the weekend but i will see you in dundee on sunday boy........:grr: