PDA

View Full Version : Do Hibs deserve Europe ?

GreenCastle
24-04-2010, 06:06 PM
Do we deserve to qualify for Europe next season ?

Take out the blind loyalty most fans have and think about the whole season. Do we deserve to finish 4th ?

I kept saying when we were 3rd I wanted to be there due to merit and not because everyone else around us was so poor.

At the start of the season Mikey Stewart claimed we had had plenty of luck to be in 3rd. I disagreed with this as I thought we actually had a few good performances.

However we all know how bad our run over the last 13 or so games has been resulting in Dundee Utd pulling away - Motherwell now over taking us and the yams very close.

We need some big performances in these last few games but history shows the post split results in years gone by haven't been the best.

So in summary do you believe we deserve to get a shot at Europe over the whole season or do we not deserve it and Motherwell do ?

Gatecrasher
24-04-2010, 06:10 PM
depends if we finish in a European spot in the league i suppose

seanraff07
24-04-2010, 06:11 PM
Do we deserve to qualify for Europe next season ?

Take out the blind loyalty most fans have and think about the whole season. Do we deserve to finish 4th ?

I kept saying when we were 3rd I wanted to be there due to merit and not because everyone else around us was so poor.

At the start of the season Mikey Stewart claimed we had had plenty of luck to be in 3rd. I disagreed with this as I thought we actually had a few good performances.

However we all know how bad our run over the last 13 or so games has been resulting in Dundee Utd pulling away - Motherwell now over taking us and the yams very close.

We need some big performances in these last few games but history shows the post split results in years gone by haven't been the best.

So in summary do you believe we deserve to get a shot at Europe over the whole season or do we not deserve it and Motherwell do ?

Cause of the first half of the season i think we do deserve it.

We had some cracking performances in and amongst that run.:agree:

houston1875
24-04-2010, 06:14 PM

the big man agrees with that,a season of two halves?

SRHibs
24-04-2010, 06:14 PM

Did we though?

GreenCastle
24-04-2010, 06:15 PM
depends if we finish in a European spot in the league i suppose

:rolleyes:

Westie1875
24-04-2010, 06:18 PM
If we get the results to finish in a european spot then yes.

Sir David Gray
24-04-2010, 06:19 PM
If we're in the top four at the end of the season then we will deserve a European place.

If, however, we only qualify through the back door (finish 5th and Dundee Utd win the cup and finish 3rd) then I don't think it would be necessarily deserved.

If we don't qualify then we won't deserve it.

The season lasts for 38 games, from August-May, and it's irrelevant that we had a great start to the season and an awful finish to the season. It's what you do over the entire season that really matters and that's how you should be judged.

MWHIBBIES
24-04-2010, 06:19 PM
On performances-no
On results-yes

marinello59
24-04-2010, 06:20 PM
We deserve it no matter how we qualify.
GGTTH.

Gatecrasher
24-04-2010, 07:47 PM
:rolleyes:

well if we finish 4th we deserve it and if we finish 5th we dont :confused:

Jones28
24-04-2010, 07:53 PM
If we finish fourth, it means we've been good enough to imho :agree:

lyonhibs
24-04-2010, 07:58 PM
well if we finish 4th we deserve it and if we finish 5th we dont :confused:

:agree:

It seems rather simple to me - yes, Hibs have been rank rotten over the past couple of months, but if we finish in 4th, this will be down to having built up such a lead over all but Dundee United, combined with others inability to really take full advantage of our undoubted *****eness since beating St Mirren at home. You can't say that 2 months of terrible form just negates the previous 5-6 months of decent results, and even occassionally a decent performance.

However, going against the jist of what I've just said, these last 2 months have been so demoralising, and with Yogi seemingly incapable of getting the current bunch of players back up to the basic standards required to compete in the top 6, I doubt very much that we need to worry about finishing 4th. If we finish 5th and get the Intertitty, or whatever the equivalent is now that it's been scrapped (I assume an earlier qualification round of the Europa League) then there won't be much "Europe" to deserve, as it'll just be 1 jaunt away to some far flung outpost, to play a team who are well into there season, whilst all our players will be out of shape and probably mildly pissed off at having their cushty holidays cut short.

PaulSmith
24-04-2010, 07:59 PM
Eh, what an absolutely pathetic question to ask. If they finish in a European place in the league over 38 games then that is what they deserve.

Almost like asking do Rangers deserve to win the league?

Sorry mate, if you're fishing here for a reaction you've got one.

WindyMiller
24-04-2010, 08:03 PM
Eh, what an absolutely pathetic question to ask. If they finish in a European place in the league over 38 games then that is what they deserve.

:agree:

Fed up with guys putting the Club down

IberianHibernian
24-04-2010, 08:44 PM
5th is effectively old Inter Toto but being forced to take place . I can remember one year when we finished 3rd but didn`t qualify for UEFA Cup and others when 5th was good enough . Since last summer we`ve known that 4th and maybe 5th would be good enough for Europa League qualifying rounds so if we finish 4th or 5th we`ll deserve it though to be honest I doubt clubs are as bothered as most fans are since we`d be unlikely to make group stages .

monktonharp
24-04-2010, 09:10 PM
5th is effectively old Inter Toto but being forced to take place . I can remember one year when we finished 3rd but didn`t qualify for UEFA Cup and others when 5th was good enough . Since last summer we`ve known that 4th and maybe 5th would be good enough for Europa League qualifying rounds so if we finish 4th or 5th we`ll deserve it though to be honest I doubt clubs are as bothered as most fans are since we`d be unlikely to make group stages .Aberdeen made the league stages a couple of seasons ago,no one thought they could:rolleyes:

The Harp
24-04-2010, 09:14 PM
There's no justice in fitba', pretty much the same as life.
Wasn't too long ago that we knocked both sides of the OF out of the league cup on our way to the Final and still didn't lift the trophy. :boo hoo:
If fate decrees that we make Europe then we deserve it. Let's hope so. :pray:

GreenCastle
25-04-2010, 01:24 AM

Not fishing :confused: - just I would rather have deserved it rather than be there as the other teams around us are crap.

Just curious to others opinions.

I do think many people have written the season off when Europe is still so possible and close. Lets hope for at least a draw tomorrow to give us some confidence / momentum.

Nitten Hibee
25-04-2010, 02:46 AM
dont deserve nothing yet need to wait and see where we finish :agree:

Nando™
25-04-2010, 03:28 AM
Aberdeen made the league stages a couple of seasons ago,no one thought they could:rolleyes:
And progressed even further don't you know!

hibiedude
25-04-2010, 05:54 AM
The first half of the season we were on fire but the wheels have truly come off the 2nd half so I don’t think we will make Europe on our own steam we will have to rely on others to get us there and that’s wrong.

intertoto route before season starts :rolleyes:

The guy moaning about being fed up people having a go at the club should 'get real’ its called expressing an opinion its allowed

Hibernia Na Eir
25-04-2010, 07:40 AM
yeah, we do. We had a good start, but a bad end to season.

Motherwell and Yams had poor starts, but better second half of season.

So it evens out.

But, by finishing 5th and entering at such an early round in the Europa League and probably against a second rate outfit from the Balkans or somewhere and then getting dumped from them would no doubt put any Hibby off having good thoughts about this tourney.

We've been there and (not) done it.:grr:

Andy74
25-04-2010, 07:43 AM
Stupid question. If we finish in the spot then yes. Forget the crap and we've been 3rd most of the season 4th for a bit and 5th for a smaller bit. We've been in and around the spots and if we get over the line we will have deserved it.

Hainan Hibs
25-04-2010, 08:12 AM
If we finish in a Uefa Cup (old school bitches :greengrin) place then we do deserve it, however finishing 5th and getting Europe would be pushing it.

Ritchie
25-04-2010, 08:26 AM

I disagree, I reckon we only had about 3 cracking performances.... 2 against motherwell and once at ibrox

marinello59
25-04-2010, 08:35 AM
If we finish in a Uefa Cup (old school bitches :greengrin) place then we do deserve it, however finishing 5th and getting Europe would be pushing it.

Not at all. IF 5th place is good enough for a European spot then it is just reward for an entire seasons work. To suggest otherwise is to imply that reaching a cup final and losing should be rewarded which would be a nonsense.
GGTTH

Hainan Hibs
25-04-2010, 08:45 AM
Not at all. IF 5th place is good enough for a European spot then it is just reward for an entire seasons work. To suggest otherwise is to imply that reaching a cup final and losing should be rewarded which would be a nonsense.
GGTTH

I see your point but personally if we drag ourselves over the line in 5th and enter what is basically the intertoto cup it just feels a bit pish:greengrin

HibbyAndy
25-04-2010, 08:50 AM
If we are in a european positon come the end of the season yes we deserve it..if not we dont,

Thats a fact.

NAE NOOKIE
25-04-2010, 09:00 AM
If we finish in a European spot then yes we deserve it.

Mind you, if we play in Europe like we have in the league recently then it will be a short lived experience.

Probably get our bums kicked in the first round by some team from Uzbekistan or wherever.

:bitchy:

HUTCHYHIBBY
25-04-2010, 11:04 AM
yeah, we do. We had a good start, but a bad end to season. Motherwell and Yams had poor starts, but better second half of season. So it evens out. But, by finishing 5th and entering at such an early round in the Europa League and probably against a second rate outfit from the Balkans or somewhereCome on Mikey, Eastern Europe is the way forward!

Hibs90
25-04-2010, 11:05 AM
Yes we do.

blackpoolhibs
25-04-2010, 11:48 AM
Would any team that finishes outside the European places, deserve to qualify for it?

Davy Mac
25-04-2010, 12:00 PM
Would any team that finishes outside the European places, deserve to qualify for it?

:agree: Yup, I'll go with that theory.

seanraff07
25-04-2010, 08:29 PM
Did we though?

Yes we did, Rangers away, Motherwell home and away, Dundee.Utd home.

Some very good performances even in ones we drew.