PDA

View Full Version : How to spice up the SPL

Gus Fring
23-04-2010, 07:13 PM
Just a pondering and not a serious suggestion but what would you guys think of an NFL style draft in the spl?

Every player is eligible and each manager in turn gets to pick dependant on the previous years league position. Perhaps the top six get 2 picks before the bottom six get to start theirs? Limits on number of players per position etc too. Just a fantasy idea That popped into my head.

Mike777
23-04-2010, 08:47 PM
would never happen, i know it makes it alot fairer but how does the bidding work, does it mean the team last gets 1st pick?
Maybe adapt to evening it out with homegrown under 21's on the park.

Kevvy1875
23-04-2010, 09:09 PM
We would need a collegiate system like the Yanks have for the NFL.

I seriously think this would be the way forward for world football or its gonna die as we know it because of money. The draft system would rebalance things. The superpowers would fight any idea like it to the death though.

sleeping giant
23-04-2010, 09:37 PM
I think its a crap idea !:greengrin

Who scouts for players in this NFL thingy ? Is it the managers of the clubs ?

HibbiesandtheBaddies
23-04-2010, 09:49 PM
I don't think that would work here. NFL is a closed shop. There is no other market that competes against it, therefore they need to manufacture ways to provide competition.

If Scotland produces a truly world class youngster, he is free to move to other markets eg: Spain, Italy, Germany, France and England

Jones28
23-04-2010, 10:43 PM
Minimum of 3 under 21's on the pitch at any one time, must be homegrown :thumbsup:

Sir David Gray
23-04-2010, 11:21 PM
I would be against any plans to restrict a club's freedom to choose who to buy and how much to pay them.

If clubs end up not being able to afford the players that they buy then Hell mend them but I don't believe in them being forced to work under the kind of constraints that say you can only use a certain percentage of your turnover on wages and transfer fees. Clubs have to make their own decisions and take their own risks.

By the same token, I don't believe in a club being allowed the opportunity to sign a player that they otherwise wouldn't be able to sign. IMO it's just tough luck if you can't afford someone.

sunshine1875
24-04-2010, 09:46 AM
If someone is injured and requires a trainer to come on, there is a minimum 5 minute period when that player is sent to the 'health recuperation bin' to ensure that they have got over the effects of their alleged injury.

That way we can stop the thing that really annoys me at football matches, when a player goes down as if dead, only to limp to the touchline then waved back in play within seconds, sprinting as if he is the new Usain Bolt.

That way, those with minor knocks, will get up immediately as is done in Rugby where players receive considerably harder knocks than on a football field, yet get back up for more.

If a player takes a sore one and a trainer comes on, then the manager has the choice of replacing him immediately or waiting the five minutes to check and see him he is ok or not.

By doing this the stoppages in play should be reduced and we should be getting closer to watching 90 minutes of football.

hstn747
24-04-2010, 10:08 AM
In terms of spicing up the SPL I don't think anything will happen until all the governing bodies & clubs come together under one unbrella and act as one and try to market Scottish football as whole package. Then the draft idea might be possible.

I would like to see SPL & 1st div teams able to use lower division teams as farm teams. ie. somewhere that they can send their reserves & youth players to in order to get competitive football. It would mean young players getting competitive football and playing with experienced players. It could also help secure the futures of teams like Cowdenbeath as the standard of football should improve attracting more fans and fans of the SPL teams may turn up to see their players.

In terms of raising the entertainment in the SPL I would like to see either a bonus point for 3 or more goals in a game or for the prize money at the end of the season given out based on a team's Goals For/Goal difference. That would hopefully encourage more attacking football.

Finally, the only way I can see the SPL having a chance to free itself of the OF dueopoly is to have a play off at the end of the season the way they do in rugby leagues around the world and in American sports. Some people might think that it is unfair, but I'd say that it is much fairer than the current set-up where only the OF can win the thing in any given year. It would certainly create a lot of excitement at the end of the season.

fordie2
24-04-2010, 10:33 AM
In terms of spicing up the SPL I don't think anything will happen until all the governing bodies & clubs come together under one unbrella and act as one and try to market Scottish football as whole package. Then the draft idea might be possible.

I would like to see SPL & 1st div teams able to use lower division teams as farm teams. ie. somewhere that they can send their reserves & youth players to in order to get competitive football. It would mean young players getting competitive football and playing with experienced players. It could also help secure the futures of teams like Cowdenbeath as the standard of football should improve attracting more fans and fans of the SPL teams may turn up to see their players.

In terms of raising the entertainment in the SPL I would like to see either a bonus point for 3 or more goals in a game or for the prize money at the end of the season given out based on a team's Goals For/Goal difference. That would hopefully encourage more attacking football.

Finally, the only way I can see the SPL having a chance to free itself of the OF dueopoly is to have a play off at the end of the season the way they do in rugby leagues around the world and in American sports. Some people might think that it is unfair, but I'd say that it is much fairer than the current set-up where only the OF can win the thing in any given year. It would certainly create a lot of excitement at the end of the season.

Is the play off not all the champions of the regional divisions:confused:

Vini1875
24-04-2010, 10:33 AM
The way I would suggest to spice up the SPL is to play much less games with a 16 teams playing home and away. 30 games which would mean no mid week games and room to rearrange fixtures, players less knackered, pitches less knackered and big games truly being big games since we would have a team visiting only once per season. It would also enhance cup competitions since we were not playing the same teams so often. less is more.

hstn747
24-04-2010, 10:47 AM
Is the play off not all the champions of the regional divisions

It is in American sports but not in the Guiness Premiership and Super 14s rugby. In those leagues it is just the top teams from the one league having a play-off.