PDA

View Full Version : Breakdown cover

bobbyhibs1983
23-04-2010, 09:17 AM
I'm considering getting breakdown cover and I'm unsure witch would be the most benefit to me, so what are everyones experinces with them?

I've seen the ads for the aa/rac for £35 per year and so on and well what does that cover?

Im looking for a breakdown cover that if i breadown they ll come out and fix my car then and there at a resonable space of time,(not waiting for hours and hours so a good response time would help)

If they cant fix it there and then tell me whats wrong with it, with them towing my car /taking me home and them taking it to a garage and getting it fixed for me and all for a good fixed price.

So any thoughts/feedback? Many thanx in advance

derekHFC
23-04-2010, 09:43 AM
Green Flag Recovery Plus is probably what you're looking for.

That's who i'm with and they're reasonably cheap - thankfully i aint had to use them yet :greengrin

bobbyhibs1983
23-04-2010, 12:17 PM
Green Flag Recovery Plus is probably what you're looking for.

That's who i'm with and they're reasonably cheap - thankfully i aint had to use them yet :greengrin

Ok cheers for that,Sorta looking for recommondations really

Ants
23-04-2010, 12:24 PM
good advice from MSE.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/insurance/roadside-recovery

"Many people are paying three or four times over the odds for breakdown cover. Whether through loopholes, like getting basic RAC breakdown cover for £15 with Tesco Vouchers or little known, but reliable, companies who offer full service policies for two for £37, this step-by-step guide will slash your costs."

bobbyhibs1983
23-04-2010, 01:41 PM
good advice from MSE.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/insurance/roadside-recovery (http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/insurance/roadside-recovery)

"Many people are paying three or four times over the odds for breakdown cover. Whether through loopholes, like getting basic RAC breakdown cover for £15 with Tesco Vouchers or little known, but reliable, companies who offer full service policies for two for £37, this step-by-step guide will slash your costs."

Ok thanx for the link will check it out

Jack
23-04-2010, 01:52 PM
One thing to watch out for, that I nearly got caught out with in Devon (450 miles away), is that some will NOT tow you home if they are unable to fix and will only take you to the nearest approved garage. I’m sure that was Green Flag.

bobbyhibs1983
23-04-2010, 02:08 PM
One thing to watch out for, that I nearly got caught out with in Devon (450 miles away), is that some will NOT tow you home if they are unable to fix and will only take you to the nearest approved garage. I’m sure that was Green Flag.

sounds mad mate hope things were sorted quickly for you.I would like to travel a lil by my car. the furthered i ve travalled from edinburgh is either glasgow or dumfirmiline, i know not much.

Was looking for if i did travel to x and i broke down that somehow the breakdown ppl would come alone and fix the probelm nice and easily.Just if they did not and as what happeend with you they take it to an approved garage.Can i ask did it cost you anything to get it fixed from the nearest approved garage?Was it like not bad worrying wise sorta thing or was it stressful?

AFKA5814_Hibs
24-04-2010, 01:56 PM
With most breakdown covers there are restrictions, like number of call outs in a year. Also make sure you have cover if your car doesn't start up in the morning outside your house, chances are the cheaper AA or RAC costs won't cover you for that and will only cover you for Roadside Assistance.

ArabHibee
24-04-2010, 09:06 PM
With most breakdown covers there are restrictions, like number of call outs in a year. Also make sure you have cover if your car doesn't start up in the morning outside your house, chances are the cheaper AA or RAC costs won't cover you for that and will only cover you for Roadside Assistance.

Correct. Although I don't have this cover as I feel why would I need it. If the car ain't working outside the house then I'm on the bus until I can get it fixed.

Another to look out for (with AA anyway) is that the cheaper option will only transport you and the car to the nearest garage, then its up to you to find your own way home. I have cover that will tow the car back to the garage of my choice and get me home after that.

bobbyhibs1983
25-04-2010, 09:33 AM
Another to look out for (with AA anyway) is that the cheaper option will only transport you and the car to the nearest garage, then its up to you to find your own way home. I have cover that will tow the car back to the garage of my choice and get me home after that.

Ye thats what i was looking at, i wanted cover if i broke down up north or like 100's of miles away and they picked me up and dumped me at a garage.I had a look at greenflag and for pretty much everytihng(except european cover iirc) and its gonna cost £153

Many thanx to all whom has posted on this thread

ArabHibee
25-04-2010, 09:35 PM
Ye thats what i was looking at, i wanted cover if i broke down up north or like 100's of miles away and they picked me up and dumped me at a garage.I had a look at greenflag and for pretty much everytihng(except european cover iirc) and its gonna cost £153

Many thanx to all whom has posted on this thread

That seems a bit excessive. I'm only about £8 a month.