DH1875
22-04-2010, 05:37 PM
Anyone going to be following it?

Gatecrasher
22-04-2010, 09:37 PM
how can i do that??

James.
23-04-2010, 10:23 AM
Very happy with Kyle Wilson. Local kid who was a Jet fan growing up. Another quality cornerback on the team, will be great to see teams trying to pass through us now and we can just blitz away all day. :thumbsup: Also a good return man into the bargain. Surprised he fell to 29 as apparently Cleveland were seriously considering him at 7.

Sylar
23-04-2010, 12:55 PM
Yep - happy with our initial acquisition - Devin McCourty - very fast defensive back with a superb punt/kick-off return ability.

Had a good senior year with Rutgers, so I'm happy with his arrival at Foxborough.

I was REALLY hoping we'd take Tim Tebow to work under the wing of Brady as an understudy/replacement, but sadly, he opted for Denver. BIG pressure going into Mile High as a player who is liable to be a regular feature during the regular season - having watched Tebow all the way through his college career, I think he requires a mentor with experience to guide him, but he won't find that in Denver.

I'm suprised he actually went to Denver though, as he claimed that his attachment to his native state would probably see him go to the Jaguars.

Sergio sledge
23-04-2010, 02:07 PM
Yep - happy with our initial acquisition - Devin McCourty - very fast defensive back with a superb punt/kick-off return ability.

Had a good senior year with Rutgers, so I'm happy with his arrival at Foxborough.

I was REALLY hoping we'd take Tim Tebow to work under the wing of Brady as an understudy/replacement, but sadly, he opted for Denver. BIG pressure going into Mile High as a player who is liable to be a regular feature during the regular season - having watched Tebow all the way through his college career, I think he requires a mentor with experience to guide him, but he won't find that in Denver.

I'm suprised he actually went to Denver though, as he claimed that his attachment to his native state would probably see him go to the Jaguars.

How much choice do players have in the draft?

I'm not sure how it all works with agreeing what team to go to, but surely someone like Sam Bradford wouldn't have chosen to go to the lowest ranked team, being 1st pick seems like you get the raw deal in terms of teams, so if the players have a choice, surely most would turn down 1st pick?

Haymaker
23-04-2010, 02:38 PM

I'm not sure how it all works with agreeing what team to go to, but surely someone like Sam Bradford wouldn't have chosen to go to the lowest ranked team, being 1st pick seems like you get the raw deal in terms of teams, so if the players have a choice, surely most would turn down 1st pick?

They still have to agree terms with that team, IIRC Crabtree last season didnt sign for the 49ers until half-way through the season because he wanted a few million more.

James.
23-04-2010, 04:32 PM

It's happened before with Eli Manning refusing to play for San Diego and, of course, Eric Lindros in the NHL with Quebec but I think the prestige that comes with being drafted first overall means that it's very unlikely a player would turn down the chance; it's also more than likely you become the team's star centrepeice and franchise player. The money must also help (Last year's first pick Matthew Stafford could receive up to $78 million from Detroit over the course of his contract and is guaranteed at least $40 million)

GhostofBolivar
24-04-2010, 05:00 AM

You're talking as if Tebow had a choice over who selected him.

---------- Post added at 06:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:58 AM ----------

They still have to agree terms with that team, IIRC Crabtree last season didnt sign for the 49ers until half-way through the season because he wanted a few million more.

Yeah. He wanted paid the same as Oakland paid Heyward-Bey on the grounds that Oakland might have selected him instead of H-B and therefore he was worth the same.

I think he ended up taking what the 49ers originally offered him.

Draft picks getting into contract disputes and holding out of camp is pretty common. Andre Smith - the 2009 #6 - held out of camp and 3 pre-season games before signing for Cincinnati. The only unusual thing with Crabtree was the length of the hold out.

GhostofBolivar
24-04-2010, 05:04 AM

1st overall is guaranteed one of the richest contracts in NFL history. I think Matthew Stafford - last years #1 - is guaranteed £40m and could earn as much as $75m. All without ever playing a minute in the NFL.

If you refuse to play for that team and re-enter the draft the following year there's a huge chance that you won't get drafted again and will never play in the NFL.

Getting set up for life versus becoming Mr Average Joe. What would you choose?

GhostofBolivar
24-04-2010, 05:12 AM
It's happened before with Eli Manning refusing to play for San Diego and, of course, Eric Lindros in the NHL with Quebec but I think the prestige that comes with being drafted first overall means that it's very unlikely a player would turn down the chance; it's also more than likely you become the team's star centrepeice and franchise player. The money must also help (Last year's first pick Matthew Stafford could receive up to $78 million from Detroit over the course of his contract and is guaranteed at least $40 million)

Eli was different. He publicly refused to play in San Diego before the draft. San Diego could have just chosen a different player - one who wanted to play in SD. The reason the Chargers chose him anyway is because they had the time to work out a trade with the Giants - who had time to sound out Eli's agent about playing in New Jersey.

Just Jimmy
24-04-2010, 10:30 AM
Eli was different. He publicly refused to play in San Diego before the draft. San Diego could have just chosen a different player - one who wanted to play in SD. The reason the Chargers chose him anyway is because they had the time to work out a trade with the Giants - who had time to sound out Eli's agent about playing in New Jersey.

Correct it was a deal done behind closed doors, Eli was selected 1st overall in 2004 by the Chargers. Mainly because NYG want'd Manning and San Diego saw it as a chance to get a highly rated QB in Rivers along with draft picks.

They took Shawne Merriman and Nate Kaeding if I remember correctly. Eli is hated by San diego fans and gets boo'd everytime we go there. Arguably the Giants got the better deal as they got a Superbowl MVP. I think Rivers may be the only QB from that draft class not to have won a superbowl yet?

James.
24-04-2010, 11:43 AM

:agree: Still an example of a player dictating where they were not willing to play. Which was what the poster was asking about.

Sylar
24-04-2010, 12:55 PM
You're talking as if Tebow had a choice over who selected him.

Not my intention - well aware these guys (for the most part) don't get much say - I'm aware there are a few exceptions to the rule (as noted above) but these are circumstantial.

When we were in the States back in March, they were talking about his likely moves and most of the sport reporters agreed he was destined for Jacksonville, but with one or two suggesting he'd end up at either Indianapolis or New England - I guess that got my hopes up some what! :greengrin

Which team do you actually follow GoB?

Haymaker
24-04-2010, 03:09 PM
Im pretty happy with the pats picks so far... I cannot wait for the new season...

Gatecrasher
24-04-2010, 03:28 PM
anyone know when and where i can watch this??

Sylar
25-04-2010, 06:54 AM
anyone know when and where i can watch this??

I don't know actually think there is any televised coverage of it in the UK?

To be honest, it's quite dull, especially as most folk don't know any of the college players.

I've just been checking the Pats website for updates.

GhostofBolivar
25-04-2010, 07:33 AM
Not my intention - well aware these guys (for the most part) don't get much say - I'm aware there are a few exceptions to the rule (as noted above) but these are circumstantial.

When we were in the States back in March, they were talking about his likely moves and most of the sport reporters agreed he was destined for Jacksonville, but with one or two suggesting he'd end up at either Indianapolis or New England - I guess that got my hopes up some what! :greengrin

Which team do you actually follow GoB?

Green Bay and whoever happens to be on my fantasy team.

Just Jimmy
25-04-2010, 03:46 PM
I don't know actually think there is any televised coverage of it in the UK?

To be honest, it's quite dull, especially as most folk don't know any of the college players.

I've just been checking the Pats website for updates.

the first round was on ESPN here the other night live, after that they dropped it. I enjoy it, especially the boos in NY when Dallas pick :greengrin