PDA

View Full Version : European place

DH1875
22-04-2010, 11:18 AM
If UTD bet celtic at the weekend the gap between them will be down to 4 points. Anyone think they will catch them? Any other year I would love to see it happen but I fear for 4th and want that european place so much.

Danderhall Hibs
22-04-2010, 11:26 AM
If UTD bet celtic at the weekend the gap between them will be down to 4 points. Anyone think they will catch them? Any other year I would love to see it happen but I fear for 4th and want that european place so much.

I don't think they'll catch them even if they do beat them on Sunday. I'm not sure how it affects 4th place though?

Ritchie
22-04-2010, 11:31 AM
I don't think they'll catch them even if they do beat them on Sunday. I'm not sure how it affects 4th place though?

doesnt effect 4th place.... just means we would need to finish 4th to get into europe because if dundee utd qualify for the champions league, ross county get into europe meaning 5th place doesnt.

saying that, it does effect 4th place.... they would go into europe a round back.

Argylehibby
22-04-2010, 11:34 AM
If utd qualify for Champions League then Ross County will be in Europe. If DU finish 3rd they are in Europa League and Ross County will have to win the cup to qualify for Europe and 5th place becomes a qualifying place for Europe.

cabbageandribs1875
22-04-2010, 11:36 AM
doesnt effect 4th place.... just means we would need to finish 4th to get into europe because if dundee utd qualify for the champions league, ross county get into europe meaning 5th place doesnt.

saying that, it does effect 4th place.... they would go into europe a round back.

:agree: and believe it or not, there's STILL some people on here would love to see dundee utd pip sellick for that CL place...all becasue of there bitterness against sellick :rolleyes:

LamontHFC©
22-04-2010, 11:50 AM
:agree: and believe it or not, there's STILL some people on here would love to see dundee utd pip sellick for that CL place...all becasue of there bitterness against sellick :rolleyes:

I would.

Ritchie
22-04-2010, 11:51 AM

to be honest i wouldnt mind the old firm being split too... nothing to do with bitterness against celtic, just gives everyone else hope that they arent untouchable.

hopefully it might become a regular occurance with the super hibees joining in!

IWasThere2016
22-04-2010, 12:00 PM

Would like OF to be split - but no by the Arabs (my ears will get a doing up here!)

Also not happy if that's at Hibs' expense either!

Sad bit is we shouldnae be having to worry about others and various scenarios :grr:

patlowe
22-04-2010, 12:16 PM
Considering 5th place is a renamed slot in the intertoto cup (which no one else used to give two hoots about), for the sake of competition in Scottish football, I'd much rather see Utd finish 2nd and deny Celtic the potential millions from Champions League participation than see Hibs scrape into the Europa, losing to some Vetra-esque side in the process.

Westie1875
22-04-2010, 12:22 PM
Considering 5th place is a renamed slot in the intertoto cup (which no one else used to give two hoots about), for the sake of competition in Scottish football, I'd much rather see Utd finish 2nd and deny Celtic the potential millions from Champions League participation than see Hibs scrape into the Europa, losing to some Vetra-esque side in the process.

I'd much rather see Utd finish 3rd with Hibs in 4th and entering at a later stage.

patlowe
22-04-2010, 12:32 PM
I'd much rather see Utd finish 3rd with Hibs in 4th and entering at a later stage.

Well that is a more attractive propostition. I just think the prospect of Utd finishing second is more significant for the future of Scottish football than Hibs finishing 5th and sneaking in to an early qualifying round through the backdoor. Don't get me wrong though, I'd take it!

Danderhall Hibs
22-04-2010, 12:34 PM

Got it! I'd lost track of how to qualify for Europe!

I'd rather not finish 5th either - the intertoto stages of the Europa would mean us starting pre-season on 31/5 or something ridiculous so we could build up to a game against the equivalent of Hutchie Vale on 6/6.

seanraff07
22-04-2010, 03:53 PM
Put it this way if Dundee.Utd finish 2nd and we don't finish 4th then i won't be annoyed.

As if we don't finish 4th then really we don't deserve to be in Europe.

basehibby
22-04-2010, 04:47 PM
Would be great to see Utd finish 2nd (Sellic fans sick)

Then Hibs in fourth (europe)

then the Yams after a great run finishing in 5th (but not in europe at the and therefore sick as dogs)

If Carlsberg did league placings that would be the way to go.

If I'm not being fussy though I just want Hibs to finish 4th and couldn't really give a flying one about anything else.