PDA

View Full Version : Sammy Baird

killie-hibby
21-04-2010, 06:31 PM
Sad to hear sammy Baird passed away today. Although he came to Hibs at the end of his playing career he never gave less than 100% over his two years at Easter Road. RIP.

Toaods
21-04-2010, 06:44 PM
don't the know the guy by name...when did he play?

wpj
21-04-2010, 06:45 PM
Sad to hear sammy Baird passed away today. Although he came to Hibs at the end of his playing career he never gave less than 100% over his two years at Easter Road. RIP.

Had my first pint in his bar in Bo'ness

killie-hibby
21-04-2010, 07:00 PM
don't the know the guy by name...when did he play?

Cant remember actual year. It was around the time of Churchill's death.
Sammy Baird played his best years as Rangers captain.
Round about the same time we signed Willie Toner from Kilmarnock. Both were workhorses and stopped the opposition from playing their usual game.
We could do with their type now. Regrettably footballers salaries are astronomical, so their is no need for their modern day equivelants to end their careers with another team.
Some years later we signed ex Liverpool captain Tommy Leishman.Similarly to Baird and Toner he held Hibs together and stopped the rythym of the other team.

The Harp
21-04-2010, 07:14 PM
Remember Sammy and several other Hibs players doing hand stands as they waited for peace to be restored during the game against Barcelona, when their players chased after the German ref, Herr Malka in 1960 at ER.
Just found out recently that Sammy would have taken the penalty but he had apparently soiled his shorts during the disruption and threw the ball to Bobby Kinloch to slot it away. They certainly kept that one quiet. :greengrin

The Harp
21-04-2010, 07:33 PM
Got carried away thinking back to the victory over Barcelona. :rolleyes:
Sad to hear of Sammy's death. According to Wikipedia he played 39 games for Hibs between '60 & '62 and scored 5 goals for us. Always gave 100% during his time at ER.

RIP Sammy. Condolences to family and friends

.Sean.
21-04-2010, 07:33 PM
Remember Sammy and several other Hibs players doing hand stands as they waited for peace to be restored during the game against Barcelona, when their players chased after the German ref, Herr Malka in 1960 at ER.
Just found out recently that Sammy would have taken the penalty but he had apparently soiled his shorts during the disruption and threw the ball to Bobby Kinloch to slot it away. They certainly kept that one quiet. :greengrin
:faf:

In all seriousness, RIP Sammy. Never nice to hear about the death of a former respected player.

Sergey
21-04-2010, 07:35 PM
Had my first pint in his bar in Bo'ness

Me too....and it was at lunchtime while at school :greengrin

heretoday
21-04-2010, 07:46 PM
I saw him playing for Third Lanark in my first ever match - Hearts v Thirds in March 1963.

wpj
21-04-2010, 08:18 PM
Me too....and it was at lunchtime while at school :greengrin

Or when we were sent to the careers office, mind the heedmaster came in and we tried to hide behind the piano :faf:

Purple & Green
21-04-2010, 09:36 PM
Sammy made his debut for Hibs v St Johnstone on 8th October 1960, and was a regular for the next year until his final appearance v Motherwell on 11th November 1961. In total he made 57 appearances for Hibs (39 league, 5 Scottish Cup, 6 League Cup and 7 European games) and scored 7 goals (5 league, 1 Scottish Cup, and 1 European).

Jonnyboy
21-04-2010, 09:42 PM
RIP Sammy

mim
21-04-2010, 09:50 PM
R.I.P. Sammy.

Forza Fred
21-04-2010, 11:10 PM
Sammy made his debut for Hibs v St Johnstone on 8th October 1960, and was a regular for the next year until his final appearance v Motherwell on 11th November 1961. In total he made 57 appearances for Hibs (39 league, 5 Scottish Cup, 6 League Cup and 7 European games) and scored 7 goals (5 league, 1 Scottish Cup, and 1 European).

I remember his European goal, a penalty against Roma I think, down the slope.

By the time he reached HIbs his best years and any pace may have behind him, but he was a superb 'positional' player, seemingly having an almost magnetic kind of ability when it came to opposition clearances or goal kicks.

While others would be forced to chase teh ball looking up and trying to work out where it would land, he simply used to stand his ground and theh ball invariably fell to his foot.

well at least it seemed at the time.

I would describe his style as proof that one should never confuse 'activity' with 'ability'

Sorry to hear of his passing, but he's certainly not forgotten.

hibbybrian
21-04-2010, 11:35 PM
RIP Sammy

CapitalHibs
22-04-2010, 12:48 AM
Remember Sammy best, charging down the ER slope with his pigeon chest thrust out in front of him. Always put in a great shift for us.

RIP Big Man.

jdships
22-04-2010, 08:49 AM

Signed from Rangers when we were struggliing and I mean struggling !
He did a Sauzee type job in that he built up a competitive spirit , spoke his mind on the park and saved us from relegation.

RIP

--------
22-04-2010, 10:09 AM
Signed from Rangers when we were struggliing and I mean struggling !
He did a Sauzee type job in that he built up a competitive spirit , spoke his mind on the park and saved us from relegation.

RIP

:agree: A good man to have on your side in any situation. Sorry to hear this.

Lucius Apuleius
22-04-2010, 03:00 PM
Was still too young to see Sammy play for us. I do remember him as manager though, especially when we was at the Binos. Used to sit in the dug out wearing his Ranger's scarf!!! Never saw him do that ar ER though:greengrin

RIP Sammy.

ginger_rice
22-04-2010, 06:00 PM
Was still too young to see Sammy play for us. I do remember him as manager though, especially when we was at the Binos. Used to sit in the dug out wearing his Ranger's scarf!!! Never saw him do that ar ER though:greengrin

RIP Sammy.

Aye, he was the guy who sent Stirling Albion out against the then European Champions Celtic wearing "Tangerine" strips, it worked as the Binos won 1-0.

Iggy Pope
22-04-2010, 06:45 PM
When will we ever see that at Hibs again? A man that made only 57 appearances but 7 of them are in European competition.
Against some giant European competition as well...........

Gerard
22-04-2010, 06:56 PM
RIP Sammy
Gerard O'Donnell

confused
23-04-2010, 04:31 AM
Aye Sammy was what i called "a centre half" i had just started watching hibs around the same time, he was a winner , R.I.P. big man.

Lucius Apuleius
23-04-2010, 11:55 AM
Aye, he was the guy who sent Stirling Albion out against the then European Champions Celtic wearing "Tangerine" strips, it worked as the Binos won 1-0.

" It was red and whilte with a tangerine stripe, the sash that the Albion wore" :-)

Jim Grant I believe scored that goal.

Dan Sarf
23-04-2010, 12:40 PM

I remember the jokes about how the crowd was cheering his every tackle - he was as hard as nails - after booing him for being a dirty Hun xxxtard when he played against us only a few weeks earlier! :greengrin

ginger_rice
23-04-2010, 06:55 PM
" It was red and whilte with a tangerine stripe, the sash that the Albion wore" :-)

Jim Grant I believe scored that goal.

Dunno Gordon I was there but on the terrace over by Annfield house, IIRC it was Alan Westwater who crossed the ball though.