PDA

View Full Version : Scottish Football - I'm Done...

Sylar
21-04-2010, 06:21 PM
Peat Takes over From Smith (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/8636006.stm)

All hail, George Peat - chief executive of the SFA.

As if our game wasn't in the doldrums as it is already, this prehistoric neanderthal is now running our game.

My interest in Scottish Football had been waning over the past few years, to the extent that I've only been to 4 football matches this entire season - poor value for money, crap product on the park, corrupt from the highest corridors of the game and 3 governing bodies, creating an abhorent stench of red-tape - the appointment of Peat gives a golden guarantee that the game will not progress under his tenure.

Farcical.

bingo70
21-04-2010, 06:23 PM
Peat Takes over From Smith (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/8636006.stm)

As if our game wasn't in the doldrums as it is already, this prehistoric neanderthal is now running our game.

My interest in Scottish Football had been waning over the past few years, to the extent that I've only been to 4 football matches this entire season - poor value for money, crap product on the park, corrupt from the highest corridors of the game and 3 governing bodies, creating an abhorent stench of red-tape - the appointment of Peat gives a golden guarantee that the game will not progress under his tenure.

Farcical.

He's only in temporary charge until they find someone to do the job permanently, seems the obvious choice to me so i don't really see the problem TBH

Wotherspiniesta
21-04-2010, 06:26 PM

Farcical.

Dry your eyes mate.

You're going to stop watching Hibs because George Peat is in charge at the SFA on a temporary basis?

Mibbes Aye
21-04-2010, 06:30 PM
He's only in temporary charge until they find someone to do the job permanently, seems the obvious choice to me so i don't really see the problem TBH

:agree:

Farcical.

Red tape shouldn't smell. Or maybe just a wee bit, of adhesive :agree:

Sylar
21-04-2010, 06:41 PM
Dry your eyes mate.

You're going to stop watching Hibs because George Peat is in charge at the SFA on a temporary basis?

Erm, no...

I've made 3 games this season - nothing to do with who's in charge, but because of the state our game is in as a whole - I can think of so many better/more enjoyable ways to piss away £30 each weekend and until the value for money issue of Scottish Football is addressed, I'll continue to feel the same way - as the same personell continue to govern the Hampden offices, that won't change.

Peat has been SFA President for years now and has done absolutely f*** all to improve our game - in fact, if I recall correctly, the first thing he done when he was appointed was made a motion to have the national anthem replaced - wow - how forward thinking. He also lambasted and BLAMED Chris Iwelumo for our absence in South Africa - look a bit closer to home for why our national side is sh*te George - him and his blazer cronies have facilitated the West Coast dominance of our domestic game for years and until we get someone in there who's able (willing?) to buck the status quo, as a product, Scottish Football will continue to rot.

bingo70
21-04-2010, 06:48 PM
Erm, no...

I've made 3 games this season - nothing to do with who's in charge, but because of the state our game is in as a whole - I can think of so many better/more enjoyable ways to piss away £30 each weekend and until the value for money issue of Scottish Football is addressed, I'll continue to feel the same way - as the same personell continue to govern the Hampden offices, that won't change.

Peat has been SFA President for years now and has done absolutely f*** all to improve our game - in fact, if I recall correctly, the first thing he done when he was appointed was made a motion to have the national anthem replaced - wow - how forward thinking. He also lambasted and BLAMED Chris Iwelumo for our absence in South Africa - look a bit closer to home for why our national side is sh*te George - him and his blazer cronies have facilitated the West Coast dominance of our domestic game for years and until we get someone in there who's able (willing?) to buck the status quo, as a product, Scottish Football will continue to rot.

So who should have got the job on a temporary basis?

i get what your saying about him and the SFA being pish, i just don't really get why your so annoyed at him taking over Smiths role temporarily until we find someone to do the job permanently

Sylar
21-04-2010, 06:54 PM
So who should have got the job on a temporary basis?

i get what your saying about him and the SFA being pish, i just don't really get why your so annoyed at him taking over Smiths role temporarily until we find someone to do the job permanently

I just feel that with him spear-heading the campaign to bring someone else in, that we're going to see someone who thinks along the same lines as Peat - I'd rather we had someone external (but familiar with Scottish Football and its setup) overseeing the campaign to find a successor for Smith - someone who knows the game but is objective and forward enough thinking to promote change.

Sadly, Peat will want someone who thinks in a similar fashion as him - he's far too invested in the status quo and appeasing the "big boys" to want someone who will facilitate significant change.

Wholesome change is needed & that won't come when the old regime are still overseeing the appointment and governance of new members - I'm aware it's only temporary (fingers crossed anyway) - but his hand will have the ultimate sway in who takes over - it maintains the backward functioning of our game IMO.

bingo70
21-04-2010, 06:58 PM
I just feel that with him spear-heading the campaign to bring someone else in, that we're going to see someone who thinks along the same lines as Peat - I'd rather we had someone external (but familiar with Scottish Football and its setup) overseeing the campaign to find a successor for Smith.

Sadly, Peat will want someone who thinks in a similar fashion as him - he's far too invested in the status quo and appeasing the "big boys" to want someone who will facilitate significant change.

Wholesome change is needed & that won't come when the old regime are still overseeing the appointment and governance of new members - I'm aware it's only temporary (fingers crossed anyway) - but his hand will have the ultimate sway in who takes over - it maintains the backward functioning of our game IMO.

fair points.

on a similiar note to that, they mentioned on the news tonight that Henry mcleish is about to publish a report on the state of the scottish football.

I bet thats a massive pile of *****.

ian cruise
21-04-2010, 07:04 PM
fair points.

on a similiar note to that, they mentioned on the news tonight that Henry mcleish is about to publish a report on the state of the scottish football.

I bet thats a massive pile of *****.

as far as i can tell he's highly critical of scottish football, claims we are fifty years behind where we should be and advocates changing the game dramatically at grass roots level. was talking about it on radio this morning

bingo70
21-04-2010, 07:10 PM
as far as i can tell he's highly critical of scottish football, claims we are fifty years behind where we should be and advocates changing the game dramatically at grass roots level. was talking about it on radio this morning

Excellent, i just don't trust these reports, committees, reviews or whatever you want to call them.

IMO all that'll happen is he'll publish this review, no-one will really be surprised, we'll all hope it's about to change but nothing different will actually happen.

ian cruise
21-04-2010, 07:12 PM
Excellent, i just don't trust these reports, committees, reviews or whatever you want to call them.

IMO all that'll happen is he'll publish this review, no-one will really be surprised, we'll all hope it's about to change but nothing different will actually happen.

thats the main thing, you can write as many reports as you want but its up to the sfa to act upon advice given, he was saying he thinks they will even though smith is gone but i, like yourself am sceptical

ekhibee
21-04-2010, 07:14 PM

Sadly, you're very likely right.

bingo70
21-04-2010, 07:14 PM
thats the main thing, you can write as many reports as you want but its up to the sfa to act upon advice given, he was saying he thinks they will even though smith is gone but i, like yourself am sceptical

The goverment should force there hand by refusing to give scottish football any money until they act upon the report, the SFA have got to be answerable to someone surely :confused:

Hakim Sar
21-04-2010, 08:56 PM
interesting thread mate

a lot of people take the hump when someone voices concern about hibs/scottish football etc saying that you are not a proper supporter and that anything that is said against the status quo is blasphemous.

but we need to start listening more carefully to people, such as yourself, who are dissatisfied with our entire game. What is the point in pretending that everything is rosy in the garden? we are constantly reminded that football is not a game anymore and that it is a business. Any business suffering the loss of custom at the levels of the SPL is in massive trouble and we need to start discussing how to win people back, how to arouse interest in our national sport and not just preserve it as some believe will do. It is not about preserving the old relics - things have got to move with the times.

although i am completely fed up myself, i think the more people who kick and scream about this dross we call a Premier League, the better it may be and the more thoroughly change will be discussed at boardroom level. it is probably folly to think that change will occur in a few years - it might take decades.

People are quick to judge those who are fed up with our fitba as fickle premiership brainwashed pantomime villains. but by posting on this website I am certain that you retain a decent sentiment for the club but maybe can't bare the pain of actually watching it anymore?

Thecat23
21-04-2010, 09:18 PM
interesting thread mate

a lot of people take the hump when someone voices concern about hibs/scottish football etc saying that you are not a proper supporter and that anything that is said against the status quo is blasphemous.

but we need to start listening more carefully to people, such as yourself, who are dissatisfied with our entire game. What is the point in pretending that everything is rosy in the garden? we are constantly reminded that football is not a game anymore and that it is a business. Any business suffering the loss of custom at the levels of the SPL is in massive trouble and we need to start discussing how to win people back, how to arouse interest in our national sport and not just preserve it as some believe will do. It is not about preserving the old relics - things have got to move with the times.

although i am completely fed up myself, i think the more people who kick and scream about this dross we call a Premier League, the better it may be and the more thoroughly change will be discussed at boardroom level. it is probably folly to think that change will occur in a few years - it might take decades.

People are quick to judge those who are fed up with our fitba as fickle premiership brainwashed pantomime villains. but by posting on this website I am certain that you retain a decent sentiment for the club but maybe can't bare the pain of actually watching it anymore?

:top marks

I also agree with most of the OP. The SPL is shocking and defo not value for money. People need to wake up and start seeing that guys who are running it aren't doing it right and are stuck in the past. We need fresh blood someone who wants to change things for the better. The more fans complain the more chance this will happen. I also think it could take yrs but lets start now before it's to late and the game goes down the pan altogether.

noseyhibby
21-04-2010, 09:51 PM
It is not about preserving the old relics - things have got to move with the times.
[/QUOTE]

Yes, I agree. :agree:How about starting with the basics like decent pitches. Introduce artificial surfaces right across the SPL before season commencing 2012.
Every single year the game becomes a complete lottery as the weather takes its toll. Fans are being fleeced and ripped off having paid hard-earned money to witness sub-standard wars of attrition on diabolical pitches that cripple teams that like to play the game on the ground, like Hibs.

bingo70
21-04-2010, 09:55 PM
the argument against artificial pitches seems to be that they're not as good as a grass pitch.

How much grass was on most SPL pitches for most of the season? we shouldn't be comparing these pitches to grass, we should be comparing them to the tattie fields we play on for most of the season and IMO, they'd be much much better

Removed
21-04-2010, 10:02 PM
the argument against artificial pitches seems to be that they're not as good as a grass pitch.

How much grass was on most SPL pitches for most of the season? we shouldn't be comparing these pitches to grass, we should be comparing them to the tattie fields we play on for most of the season and IMO, they'd be much much better

I never actually looked it from that perspective. You have actually made me think about that and change my mind if they are really as good as folk say they are.

Judas Iscariot
21-04-2010, 10:05 PM
This "Supporting" your team lark will never catch on..

RMG_82
22-04-2010, 02:56 AM

Wha's in cherge here?

GreenCastle
22-04-2010, 04:16 AM
There is more wrong with our game in Scotland than the pitches!

Seriously Scottish football is in a stale state right now - admit it or not - it has been going this way for the last 5 or so years.

The structure from top - people in charge at the SFA to bottom - the grassroots coaching - players being produced ( or lack of ) needs looked at.

If we can get a good structure in place without the west coast bias then thats a small start.

Phil MaGlass
22-04-2010, 08:07 AM

You dont see the problem!!! He is one of the biggest reasons we have been stagnating for 50 yrs. This fu-k up is now in charge until the cronies can get another one of their men in, nothing will change, 50 yrs will become 51, 52,55,60,75,100 f,n years of standing still while the likes of Iceland and Lithuania over take us.

Supporters need to march on SFA headquarters and demand change.

Phil D. Rolls
22-04-2010, 08:36 AM
Is George Peat not the guy who sold Airdrie's bround at Broomfield, and couldn't find the money he'd been paid, when they wanted to build a new stadium?

Like the OP, I have given up caring, but I'm sure there is lots of evidence as to why George Peat shouldn't be in charge of walking a dog, let alone running football in this country.

I don't think I have ever seen a thicker looking man.

Phil MaGlass
22-04-2010, 08:50 AM
Little bit about Peat in this article,nothing too damning though.

http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/alanpattullo/Gordon-Smith-resignation-Archaic-SFA.6241255.jp

Sylar
22-04-2010, 09:03 AM

And yet he has been in a position to facilitate change for years and has done the grand sum of **** all.

This "Supporting" your team lark will never catch on..

I don't aim to turn this into a "Where were you today", mk 2, but the costs associated with following a team each season in the SPL far outweigh the value. Look at how expensive fixtures are around Europe? I was at the Rome derby last year - cost to get in? £20 (converted) - quality of pitch/atmosphere/catering/football on display/infrastructure/security? Second to none. Yet for me to attend a game at Falkirk earlier this year, it was £18 to get in with pish football, an awful looking park, a sparsely populated stadium, terrible catering and in general, just not value for money.

Wholesome change is required ALL accross the board and until the blind stop leading us, we're going to continue with an unfashionable, overpriced, poorly facilitated and downright unsustainably marketable product, because if wide-eyed punters continue to endure paying over the odds then they'll vote with their feet until change is enforced.

However, there ARE those fans out there who are akin to religious fundamentalists - they WILL pay rediculous amounts to watch this guff every week of the year in the name of "supporting your team". Surely, any true supporter would want to watch their team operating within a system which is fair, profitable and beneficial to our national football programme as a whole?

Part/Time Supporter
22-04-2010, 09:04 AM
Look at me, look at me

:rolleyes:

Judas Iscariot
22-04-2010, 09:07 AM
£18 a game is hardly a ridiculous amount..

Ritchie
22-04-2010, 09:09 AM
just get yourself a student card.... season ticket is only £175!! :greengrin

Sylar
22-04-2010, 09:17 AM

Considering what's on offer and the competitive value of following football in TOP leagues across Europe?

The very fact that some view that as an acceptable price to pay is a sad indictment of what has become the status quo really. It's a bit like driving along the road and thinking "petrol at 117.9p - that's cheap!".

Do you seriously believe that Scottish Football is a good quality, marketable, value for money product? If so, why?

Look at me, look at me

Constructive as ever :top marks

Phil D. Rolls
22-04-2010, 09:20 AM

Someone on a low income, would probably argue with you on that point.

When I started going, beer was 50p a pint, and it was £1 to get into a match. Beer is now around about 6 times more expensive, but football is 18 times more expensive.

There was an interesting TV programme with Matthew Parris a couple of years back. He was comparing living on benefits in Newcastle to how it was in the 80s.

In the 80s, it was possible to go to a match out of your weekly benefit, but in the new millenium it is completely out of the question.

--------
22-04-2010, 09:39 AM

I never actually looked it from that perspective. You have actually made me think about that and change my mind if they are really as good as folk say they are.

"Grass pitch" sounds great, and I'd reckon most of us would far rather see football played on good grass pitches than on synthetics. But as you say, bingo, by the end of November the grass pitches in Scotland are deteriorating rapidly, and by mid-January most of them resemble cattle pasture - impossible to play anything approaching decent football on them.

Synthetic pitches have improved enormously over the past ten years. The problem with the pitch that was laid at East End Park a few years back was that it was part of an experiment - 6 different types of pitches were laid in different stadiums throughout Europe. Dunfermline agreed to take part in the experiment, and drew the short straw. The pitch they got was the worst of the 6 and was totally unacceptable. A few years later Hamilton laid a synthetic pitch at New Douglas Park. They played on it for about 4 years, IIRC, and only re-layed a grass pitch when they were promoted to the SPL - pre-empting criticism and complaints from other teams, I think.

THAT pitch seems to have been perfectly acceptable, and Hamilton had the reputation (well-deserved) of playing good, attractive passing football, and I heard no complaints about it, (even from Airdrie Utd). I would be totally in favour of the SPL encouraging the laying of synthetic pitches throughout the League; I can't think of any single measure that would be more likely to improve the standard of football in the League at a stroke.

As for the rest, IMO the SPL need to address a whole bunch of questions.

League set-up needs to be adjusted - a 12-club league with a late-season split just doesn't really work. I think we need MORE movement between divisions rather than less. It should be easier for ambitious clubs to climb the Leagues, and easier for teams that go down to bounce back or not depending on their approach to the game. The more that's going on, and the more clubs involved in relation to promotion/ relegation/ Europe the better. Have play-offs in all the Leagues, too.

Stadiums need work - far too many sub-standard grounds reflect badly on the game as a whole. Temporary stands, poor sight-lines, cramped seating....

Spectators need to receive much more consideration than they do at present - too many clubs provide poor catering and inadequate toilets still. Ticketing arrangements are cumbersome and put people off from just deciding to go to the game on impulse. Police and stewards are often unhelpful, ill-mannered, and ineffective. The attitude seems to be that since we're fans, we'll turn up anyway, however the clubs treat us. Not good enough. Standing areas need to be looked at - some people like to stand, and they're not going to set off a Second Hillsborough if the powers-that-be allow them to. Especially if the standing areas are sensibly and safely designed.

And would civilisation as we know it be destroyed if spectators could buy a beer with their steak-bake at half-time?

"Stark's Park razed to the ground as rampant Raith reprobates go on the rampage. Police chief blames Miller-Budweiser conspiracy. Gordon Brown arrested."

Refereeing standards need to addressed. (Maybe we should stop the lobotomies?)

Public relations - the game needs to listen to the paying public, and it needs to learn to tell the paying public what's going on. This applies to governing bodies, to clubs, to referees, to the press.

Most of all, the SPL, SFA and SFL (and all other FA's, independent governing bodies, League executives, committees and jobsworths need to waken up and realise that Scotland and Scottish football exists beyond the boundaries of Ibrox and Parkhead and Glasgow, and start actively promoting healthy football at all levels in every corner of the country. The same goes for the football media, newspapers, radio, TV, whatever.

There'll always be complaints, and the game will never be perfect, but we can do a whole lot better than we're doing right now.

NAE NOOKIE
22-04-2010, 10:54 PM
There are a lot of valid points in this thread and there is no doubt that Scottish football needs a radical change starting at the top.

In a country of 5000,000 people 3 bodies ( not counting the Junior FA ) running the game is rediculous.

But I for one dont see how not going to the games is going to help. If this was to happen and our crowds were to drop to the level of say Irish football then the game would never recover.

Better to keep the game alive and at the same time try to provoke change as a paying customer.

Perhaps its time for the supporters clubs of every Scottish team to join together and appoint their own committee to look at what is wrong with the game.

Surely they could raise enough money for a full page advert in the daily Ranger to begin with, stating our dissatisfaction with the state of the game and demanding that our point of view is given a hearing, with results to follow by the SFA, SPL, SFL.

There are simple things that could be looked at. Like playing cup semis at a ground where the crowd will look good and generate a semi final type atmosphere. Where the OF are not involved that should be a no brainer.

Nothing makes our game look Mickey Mouse more than 15,000 at Hampden for a semi.

If a protest of some sort which would hurt the SFA in the pocket were required then for a start what about a one off boycott of a Scotland friendly match, with a threat of worse action if we ( the supporters ) arent taken seriously.

I know this contradics what I said earlier, but I am talking about a one off show of strength, not a blanket boycott of club football, which would be counter productive.

Or what about something along the lines of the Man Utd protest. White scarves perhaps.

Anyway I could remble on for hours about this, but .....:dummytit:

Phil D. Rolls
23-04-2010, 08:02 AM
Perhaps its time for the supporters clubs of every Scottish team to join together and appoint their own committee to look at what is wrong with the game.

The problem with that is it would bring more George Peats into the game. Those guys would start off with the best intentions but would easily be bought off by the lure of a blazer.

WindyMiller
23-04-2010, 08:14 AM
"Grass pitch" sounds great, and I'd reckon most of us would far rather see football played on good grass pitches than on synthetics. But as you say, bingo, by the end of November the grass pitches in Scotland are deteriorating rapidly, and by mid-January most of them resemble cattle pasture - impossible to play anything approaching decent football on them.

Synthetic pitches have improved enormously over the past ten years. The problem with the pitch that was laid at East End Park a few years back was that it was part of an experiment - 6 different types of pitches were laid in different stadiums throughout Europe. Dunfermline agreed to take part in the experiment, and drew the short straw. The pitch they got was the worst of the 6 and was totally unacceptable. A few years later Hamilton laid a synthetic pitch at New Douglas Park. They played on it for about 4 years, IIRC, and only re-layed a grass pitch when they were promoted to the SPL - pre-empting criticism and complaints from other teams, I think.

THAT pitch seems to have been perfectly acceptable, and Hamilton had the reputation (well-deserved) of playing good, attractive passing football, and I heard no complaints about it, (even from Airdrie Utd). I would be totally in favour of the SPL encouraging the laying of synthetic pitches throughout the League; I can't think of any single measure that would be more likely to improve the standard of football in the League at a stroke.

As for the rest, IMO the SPL need to address a whole bunch of questions.

League set-up needs to be adjusted - a 12-club league with a late-season split just doesn't really work. I think we need MORE movement between divisions rather than less. It should be easier for ambitious clubs to climb the Leagues, and easier for teams that go down to bounce back or not depending on their approach to the game. The more that's going on, and the more clubs involved in relation to promotion/ relegation/ Europe the better. Have play-offs in all the Leagues, too.

Stadiums need work - far too many sub-standard grounds reflect badly on the game as a whole. Temporary stands, poor sight-lines, cramped seating....

Spectators need to receive much more consideration than they do at present - too many clubs provide poor catering and inadequate toilets still. Ticketing arrangements are cumbersome and put people off from just deciding to go to the game on impulse. Police and stewards are often unhelpful, ill-mannered, and ineffective. The attitude seems to be that since we're fans, we'll turn up anyway, however the clubs treat us. Not good enough. Standing areas need to be looked at - some people like to stand, and they're not going to set off a Second Hillsborough if the powers-that-be allow them to. Especially if the standing areas are sensibly and safely designed.

And would civilisation as we know it be destroyed if spectators could buy a beer with their steak-bake at half-time?

"Stark's Park razed to the ground as rampant Raith reprobates go on the rampage. Police chief blames Miller-Budweiser conspiracy. Gordon Brown arrested."

Refereeing standards need to addressed. (Maybe we should stop the lobotomies?)

Public relations - the game needs to listen to the paying public, and it needs to learn to tell the paying public what's going on. This applies to governing bodies, to clubs, to referees, to the press.

Most of all, the SPL, SFA and SFL (and all other FA's, independent governing bodies, League executives, committees and jobsworths need to waken up and realise that Scotland and Scottish football exists beyond the boundaries of Ibrox and Parkhead and Glasgow, and start actively promoting healthy football at all levels in every corner of the country. The same goes for the football media, newspapers, radio, TV, whatever.

There'll always be complaints, and the game will never be perfect, but we can do a whole lot better than we're doing right now.

SPL rules state that all pitches must be grass and have undersoil heating.

NAE NOOKIE
23-04-2010, 08:57 PM
The problem with that is it would bring more George Peats into the game. Those guys would start off with the best intentions but would easily be bought off by the lure of a blazer.

I wish I could say with certainty that you are wrong