PDA

View Full Version : SFA is 50 years out of date - official

Diclonius
20-04-2010, 03:15 PM
They finally caught on! :bitchy:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/8632793.stm

Barney McGrew
20-04-2010, 03:18 PM
"Among other things, the review is understood to call for £500,000 of investment in football facilities and infrastructure, a football academy to nurture top youth talent and professional clubs being properly audited to show how they spend the public money they receive"

That could prove an interesting development for some teams I could think of.

Keith_M
20-04-2010, 03:29 PM
And how much attention will the blazers at Hampden be willing to pay to this report?

Any change could affect all those that get to sit on committees, get free seats in the directors box, have SFA functions and trips abroad to attend, and generally get to act as if they were really important for a while (when, in fact, they could just be the chairman of Brechin City in real-life).

There's a phrase about Turkeys voting for Christmas that springs to mind. Whatever happened to Ernie Walker's review in the early 90s?

Phil D. Rolls
20-04-2010, 03:44 PM
Whenever I see that George Peat, I can't believe how thick he sounds and looks. Of course, I am probably so wrong to think that, and George is actually a visionary who works tirelessly behind the scenes.

And how much attention will the blazers at Hampden be willing to pay to this report?

Any change could affect all those that get to sit on committees, get free seats in the directors box, have SFA functions and trips abroad to attend, and generally get to act as if they were really important for a while (when, in fact, they could just be the chairman of Brechin City in real-life).

There's a phrase about Turkeys voting for Christmas that springs to mind. Whatever happened to Ernie Walker's review in the early 90s?

Some of them (not George though) will have to learn to read first. A strange group of wee men from small town Scotland. They are worse than these guys -

http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/object2/1012/70/n4549273250_3298.jpg

GloryGlory
20-04-2010, 03:54 PM
Among other things, the review is understood to call for £500m of investment in football facilities and infrastructure, a football academy to nurture top youth talent and professional clubs being properly audited to show how they spend the public money they receive.

The typical unthinking solution to every problem - chuck the taxpayers' money at it. Didn't the SFA get huge amounts of public cash for the "redevelopment" of Hampden and have little to show for it? How could you justify that expenditure when schools, hospitals, care of the elderly, social housing, colleges and universities among other things are being required to cut back?

I think Hibs for one would also be extremely unhappy if public money came into football (an unlikely occurrence in the current financial climate, admittedly) and those clubs which had mismanaged their financial affairs were bailed out and allowed to rebuild infrastructure in terms of their stadia and training grounds. Would claims on the cash be retrospective?

Bayern Bru
20-04-2010, 03:56 PM
Apologies if this has been mentioned elsewhere, but does anyone else think that Smith walking prior to the review being released is more than coincidence?

:hmmm:

Westie1875
20-04-2010, 03:57 PM
Among other things, the review is understood to call for £500m of investment in football facilities and infrastructure, a football academy to nurture top youth talent and professional clubs being properly audited to show how they spend the public money they receive.

The typical unthinking solution to everything - chuck the taxpayers' money at it. Didn't the SFA get huge amounts of public cash for the "redevelopment" of Hampden and have little to show for it? How could you justify that expenditure when schools, hospitals, care of the elderly, social housing, colleges and universities among other things are being required to cut back?

I think Hibs for one would also be extremely unhappy if public money came into football (an unlikely occurrence in the current financial climate, admittedly) and those clubs which had mismanaged their financial affairs were bailed out and allowed to rebuild infrastructure in terms of their stadia and training grounds. Would claims on the cash be retrospective?

Not only Hibs either, I'm pretty sure the OF clubs and St Mirren (also recently built new stadium and are building training facilities) would have a fairly strong opinion on it too.

Phil D. Rolls
20-04-2010, 04:02 PM
Apologies if this has been mentioned elsewhere, but does anyone else think that Smith walking prior to the review being released is more than coincidence?

:hmmm:

No, I think they must be connected. My guess is that he has seen a strong resistance to any of the proposals, and has decided to get out whilst he still has his own hair (:whistle:) and sanity.

Bayern Bru
20-04-2010, 04:06 PM
No, I think they must be connected. My guess is that he has seen a strong resistance to any of the proposals, and has decided to get out whilst he still has his own hair (:whistle:) and sanity.

Mmhm. I don't think it's any coincidence and I don't think you're wrong there, Rolls.

Or perhaps he's leading a Scottish-based consortium who are looking to buy Rangers?
:cool2:

Would that count as 'personal reasons?'

Phil D. Rolls
20-04-2010, 04:09 PM
Mmhm. I don't think it's any coincidence and I don't think you're wrong there, Rolls.

Or perhaps he's leading a Scottish-based consortium who are looking to buy Rangers?
:cool2:

Would that count as 'personal reasons?'

Funny, there was a fair element of last night's reporting playing up his "true blue" status.

Personally, I'd like him back doing Treanor's show. He brought a bit more class to it than that cynical, witless cretin, who's doing it just now.

monktonharp
21-04-2010, 01:11 AM
I have nae Idea/thoughts on what will come out,re-Gordon Smith's resignation,but I would tend to go along with the comments on post#3,turkeys voting for xmas etc.and I think it shall take a long time to erradicate this,maybe another 50 years:bitchy: until all footballing bodies in Scotland are under the same umbrella, the decline will accelerate. it might be too late to fully apply the brakes

Beefster
21-04-2010, 08:09 AM
Whilst the power of the SFA is concentrated in a committee of no-marks, whose main qualification is having been on the board at Albion Rovers at some point, they've got no chance of changing anything.

Get a Chief Exec in with a proven record of running a high profile business or sport, give him the objectives laid out by Henry McLeish's review and let him get on with the job.

JackRegan
21-04-2010, 08:52 AM
I normally hate Gerry MNee but he summed up the SFA perfectly once along these lines...

I was in Geneva to cover the recent UEFA summit and in walked Franz Beckenbauer, as Germany's representative and he was placed next to Scotland's representative at that evenings dinner, One can only imagine how the converstion went.

Franz: Hello, I'm Franz representing Germany

SFA Guy: Oh really what's your involvement in the game

Franz: Well I played in 3 World Cups, winning one as Captain, I also won one as manager and won the European Championships as a player. At the same time I also captained a European Cup Winning side and played and managed at the highest level for nearly 30 years. What about you?

SFA Guy: I'm Jim Will, Chairman of Brechin City.

Says it all.

Danderhall Hibs
21-04-2010, 09:08 AM
Franz: Well I played in 3 World Cups, winning one as Captain, I also won one as manager and won the European Championships as a player. At the same time I also captained a European Cup Winning side and played and managed at the highest level for nearly 30 years. What about you?

SFA Guy: I'm Jim Will, Chairman of Brechin City.

Says it all.

That’s funny.

BUT we did have someone in charge that is a former player that had played at a high level be he wasn’t good enough either. We couldn’t see past the fact he played for Rangers for a wee while and hounded him out.

JackRegan
21-04-2010, 09:39 AM
That’s funny.

BUT we did have someone in charge that is a former player that had played at a high level be he wasn’t good enough either. We couldn’t see past the fact he played for Rangers for a wee while and hounded him out.

His record speaks for himself, he was incompetent and made gaff after gaff and acted incosistently in a few areas. I think the fact he played for Rangers coudl have been forgotten about had it not been for a few of his actions and comments while in the post.

The fact is, he only met ONE of the criteria outlined in the job specification that was given to the Recruitment Consultants.

basehibby
21-04-2010, 09:46 AM
I think that the story of Smith's tenure shows why having a "football guy" at the head of our game is not the panacea to all our ills. It is an administrational position and Smith seemed to struggle in the job largely because of a lack of equivalent experience. That said, I don't know if being the chairman of Brechin City is suitable preparation for heading the national game either.
I think it's a good thing that such a report has been comissioned. I've often posted how the game in Scotland needs turning upside down and will be very interested to look at the detail when it's released - whether any of it's actually acted upon will also be interesting.

MrSmith
21-04-2010, 01:12 PM
The whole lot needs restructured: SFA, SFL and SPL. One association should be responsible for our game.

Also, the whole lot of it needs taken out of Glasgow so it can breathe again. It is infected with these 'jobs for the boys' west coasters who are quite simply in it for themselves!

MrSmith
21-04-2010, 01:15 PM
His record speaks for himself, he was incompetent and made gaff after gaff and acted incosistently in a few areas. I think the fact he played for Rangers coudl have been forgotten about had it not been for a few of his actions and comments while in the post.

The fact is, he only met ONE of the criteria outlined in the job specification that was given to the Recruitment Consultants.

Yep, being a Rangers man! pathetic eh!? but the whole of the SFA is embroiled in this type of behaviour - they, unfortunately, give masons and the masonic values a right rotten name!

Golden Bear
21-04-2010, 01:35 PM
Extraxt from today's Daily Express:-

"Hearts owner Vladimir Romanov has warned Campbell Ogilivie against going for Gordon Smith's old job at the SFA.

Tycoon Romanov says the role is a poisoned chalice. He said "It is useless to change the faces while the system remains the same. Campbell is an honest person and an experienced professional. But the system of Scottish football may turn any angel into a villain."

:greengrin

However it's got to be said that for once Mad Vlad may have hit the nail squarely on the head!