20-04-2010, 11:36 AM
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11781_6105166,00.html

Cant really see him going to China :faf:

Extend his contract now!!!

JE89
20-04-2010, 11:40 AM
Cant really see him going to China :faf:

Extend his contract now!!!

Neither can I, but then I couldn't see GOC going to Russia either.

Definately need to extend his contract ASAP.

Mon Dieu4
20-04-2010, 11:43 AM

Moscow is not too far away on a plane & a cosmopolitan city to a certain extent, China on the other hand :bitchy:

bawheid
20-04-2010, 11:45 AM
After the fine recently, this smacks to me of a leak from either club or agent to try and get the ball rolling for a summer sale.

rainman
20-04-2010, 11:46 AM

:agree:

There's a good chance he'll let his contract run down so Hibs get f*** all for him when he leaves.

He has a history of that.

Danderhall Hibs
20-04-2010, 11:46 AM

There's a good chance he'll let his contract run down so Hibs get f*** all for him when he leaves.

Well he kind of done it once anyway. Although we did get money for him.

Cocaine&Caviar
20-04-2010, 11:47 AM
"Hibs would be loath to lose their star performer".

Thats a tad strong considering some of his critisicm this season.

Losing him could actually suit all parties IMO, We could get a bit of money for him, it would allow a conventional left wide midfielder into the team, which may not get as many goals, but may benefit the general play of the team substantially.

However, we would be losing a true club cult hero for being a Hibee and someone that has the ability to do the spectacular.

NORTHERNHIBBY
20-04-2010, 11:50 AM
I am willing to bet all my worldly belongings on the fact that one of the Championship clubs watching him, will not be Middlesborough.

rainman

Losing him could actually suit all parties IMO, We could get a bit of money for him, it would allow a conventional left wide midfielder into the team, which may not get as many goals, but may benefit the general play of the team substantially.

However, we would be losing a true club cult hero for being a Hibee and someone that has the ability to do the spectacular.

Agree. I think it could suit all parties other than his fan base. There's talk of Hibs selling Stokes. If it was choice of selling either/or I'd sell Riordan and I have a feeling both Hughes and Petrie would agree.

Cropley10

He also has a history of scoring goals; lots of goals, important and often spectacular goals, doesn't he?

sambajustice
Go to Germany Deek and become a Scotland regular!!! Would become a top footballer if he went there.

I think he's too much of a home boy though. The furtherest he'll go is England and even at that i'm not sure he'd go. He might be happy picking up a weekly wage thats a lot more than most people and just living among family and friends playing for the team he supports!

rainman
20-04-2010, 11:51 AM
He also has a history of scoring goals; lots of goals, important and often spectacular goals, doesn't he?

Yes he does.

Another good reason to extend his contract. :wink:

Hermit Crab
20-04-2010, 11:51 AM
:blah::blah::blah::blah::blah: Every transfer window there is interest that turns out to be shiote. Loady pish IMO

Beefster
20-04-2010, 11:52 AM
Either get a new contract sorted or sell him in the summer.

After 'pishypitch-gate', I think he'll go.

JE89
Moscow is not too far away on a plane & a cosmopolitan city to a certain extent, China on the other hand :bitchy:

Correct, however in terms of language and cultural barriers I laughed when I heard Moscow and O'Connor in the same sentence.
I see absolutely no reason for Riordan to go to China but stranger things have happened.

Westie1875
Losing Riordan once was careless, losing him again would be a nightmare.

Pushing him out the door would be unforgiveable! :grr:

Get him signed up on an extended contract pronto.

Cocaine&Caviar
20-04-2010, 11:55 AM
Its also coneivable that he could reach 100 Hibs goals next season...

Gregor
20-04-2010, 11:57 AM

Sky Spurts rather lazily used exactly same sentence in the previous report for December 2009 where they also "understood" he was for the off.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_5765412,00.html

In the midst of all the doom and gloom, my crystal balls tell me the Hibs will sell nobody other than Bamba, will release a few rejects, but also make a couple of very important, eye-opening signings (and I mean on the scale of eye-opening ala Stokes & Miller).

Steve20
20-04-2010, 12:08 PM
Agree. I think it could suit all parties other than his fan base. There's talk of Hibs selling Stokes. If it was choice of selling either/or I'd sell Riordan and I have a feeling both Hughes and Petrie would agree.

We shouldn't be getting rid of either of them.

Jim44
20-04-2010, 12:14 PM
The Riordan situation's an interesting one. The more common scenario is a player unhappy at a club, wanting away and the club reluctant to lose one of it's assets. Here we've got a cub, by all accounts keen to offload a player for a few quid but the player indifferent about moving on. I wouldn't be surprised if, as someone has also suggested, Riordan sits tight, picks up a not too untidy wage and at the same time continuing to be a thorn in the side of Petrie and Hughes.

smurf
20-04-2010, 12:14 PM
We all know how these things work.... So who is stirring the pot?

Player through his agent or the club.

Without any doubt i'm saying the latter.

Sad.:boo hoo:

Barney McGrew
20-04-2010, 12:17 PM
How could someone who according to some people on here is just a lazy player who does nothing for the team apart from hit a decent dead ball be attracting so much interest? :devil:

Beefster
20-04-2010, 12:19 PM

Based on any evidence?

I'd have thought that it's more likely to be the agent either trying to push Hibs to offer a new contract or drum up some interest as Riordan's unhappy about recent events.

GreenPJ
20-04-2010, 12:26 PM

I don't remember the club doing this with any other player. Are there previous examples?

rainman
20-04-2010, 12:33 PM
I don't remember the club doing this with any other player. Are there previous examples?

Bobby Williamson.

:thumbsup:

Danderhall Hibs
20-04-2010, 12:47 PM

Scott Brown? Middlesbrough, Spurs etc all credited with an interest.

clerriehibs
20-04-2010, 12:52 PM

Deeks doesn't want to be a left midfielder, conventional or otherwise. Seeing as we've got a guy who scores goals for fun, why don't we play him up front, where he wants to be? Bizarre logic; sell a natural and prolific goal scorer because he doesn't want to play wide left midfield!

HIBERNIAN-0762
20-04-2010, 12:54 PM
Another non story, Deek is a home boy, can't see him moving as I don't think he would get away with his attitude down south

rainman
20-04-2010, 12:56 PM
Deeks doesn't want to be a left midfielder, conventional or otherwise. Seeing as we've got a guy who scores goals for fun, why don't we play him up front, where he wants to be? Bizarre logic; sell a natural and prolific goal scorer because he doesn't want to play wide left midfield!

It's either that or get 1 more season with 15-20 goals and umpteen anonymous performances before he leaves for nowt whilst lining his pockets with a sign on fee. Again.

iwasthere1972
20-04-2010, 12:56 PM
I am willing to bet all my worldly belongings on the fact that one of the Championship clubs watching him, will not be Middlesborough.

Maybe Newcastle. That's not too far.

clerriehibs
20-04-2010, 12:59 PM

Clown.

He's perfectly entitled to run down a contract if his employer doesn't pay what he wants.

You would. Don't deny it.

rainman
20-04-2010, 01:07 PM
Clown.

He's perfectly entitled to run down a contract if his employer doesn't pay what he wants.

You would. Don't deny it.

:clown:

And I'm sure he'll use that entitlement when he sees the pound signs. Again.

1 year to go. Sell sell sell.

GreenPJ
20-04-2010, 01:08 PM

When has he played during his career regularly up front?

Bad Martini
20-04-2010, 01:16 PM
Myths to dispell:

1) We got nothing for Riordan
...we got 150,000 reasons for that statement to be wrong.

2) He wanted to leave and deliberately "run down" his contract
...really? Didn't I read on more than one occassion the contract he was going to sign was recinded by Tony Mowbray so he could "see what Riordan could do" before offering a new contract (Stevie Wonder apparently gave him help on this matter and advised that DR was in fact our top scorer and puttin in a good few assists to)

3) Thereafter, it got muddy but the bottom line was he was never given what he'd been offered already in full?
...so left.

Add to this he was regularly subbed and/or come on from the bench, was still scoring after all this but somehow went from hero to villain due to himself, nothing but himself and nobody else had any hand in it.

Things are rarely black and white. St Tony, who was reveered round Easter Road could never have had any hand in this move? He was still adored by many on here, even tho he jumped ship 3 days before a vital derby and still further until he turned his back on the fans who adored him and done his ****ing huddle with rasellick. St Tony who said at the same time players should remain, learn their trade (then promptly pissed off chasing fame and a pound note) ??? Some folk canny see the irony?

Some folk have never let go of this sheite from the first time round and it was never black and white then. Riordan scores goals. We dont pay him £100,000k a week and he fires in plenty assists as well. It works well both ways..........

IWasThere2016
20-04-2010, 01:19 PM
After the fine recently, this smacks to me of a leak from either club or agent to try and get the ball rolling for a summer sale.

:agree: + :boo hoo:

rainman
20-04-2010, 01:20 PM
Myths to dispell:

...really? Didn't I read on more than one occassion the contract he was going to sign was recinded by Tony Mowbray so he could "see what Riordan could do" before offering a new contract (Stevie Wonder apparently gave him help on this matter and advised that DR was in fact our top scorer and puttin in a good few assists to)

3) Thereafter, it got muddy but the bottom line was he was never given what he'd been offered already in full?
...so left.

Add to this he was regularly subbed and/or come on from the bench, was still scoring after all this but somehow went from hero to villain due to himself, nothing but himself and nobody else had any hand in it.

Things are rarely black and white. St Tony, who was reveered round Easter Road could never have had any hand in this move? He was still adored by many on here, even tho he jumped ship 3 days before a vital derby and still further until he turned his back on the fans who adored him and done his ****ing huddle with rasellick. St Tony who said at the same time players should remain, learn their trade (then promptly pissed off chasing fame and a pound note) ??? Some folk canny see the irony?

Some folk have never let go of this sheite from the first time round and it was never black and white then. Riordan scores goals. We dont pay him £100,000k a week and he fires in plenty assists as well. It works well both ways..........

:top marks

Good points well made without a personal insult in sight.

I'd like to see him sold before he gets into the last 12 months of his contract and we end up being shafted but I realise I'm in the minority.

GreenPJ
20-04-2010, 01:56 PM
Myths to dispell:

...so left.

We got money because Riordan and Celtic were intially happy enough to sit for 4 months without being able to play which would have resulted in Hibs getting hee haw. They then thought that that was a bit silly on everyone's part although £150K for someone with all of the attributes you highlight does seem a bit light.

Do we know he was definitely going to sign it? The contract was on the table and then Mowbray took it off. Could he not have signed it before it was taken off the table?

How do you know what he was offered originally and what was subsequently offered?

I hope Derek stays and continues to work at all the aspects of the game he needs to improve on, at the same time, like no player at Easter Road is he worth breaking the bank for.

smurf
20-04-2010, 01:58 PM
Based on any evidence?

I'd have thought that it's more likely to be the agent either trying to push Hibs to offer a new contract or drum up some interest as Riordan's unhappy about recent events.

So on what evidence do you base your opinion on?:wink:

The history of Derek suggests to me that there is only ONE place he wants to be. And that's Easter Road.

On the park he's been mucked about. Left midfield FFS...

Off the park he has been fined for comments he's made about the state of the pitch. Benji said similar and wasn't fined.

Derek is a living still playing legend. He's in the top 10 of our all time greatest goalscorers. Despite being played this season in a ridiculous left midfield position he's still contributing with lots of goals and assists.

Why haven't the club opened contract negotiations with him?

All suggests to me (and it's an opinion i've held before this wee leak) that Derek Riordan is not in the plans moving forward of John Hughes and the board.:boo hoo:

You know it's not always about evidence.

The Tubs
20-04-2010, 02:10 PM
I'll admit that having him in the team has been a hindrance in terms of shape this season. But selling him would be the lazy option, I'd rather we built a team to accommodate him.

vahibbie
20-04-2010, 02:17 PM
If Deek reads this message board he may well be thinking "f'k yous I'm away".
The amount of stick he takes is OTT.:bitchy:
He's a goalscorer with an amazing strike and great vision.
He is not:
A speed merchant
A robust "bite yir ankles" tackler
A dribbling genius in the Jinky mode.

If he goes I hope we all remember why we are down 15 or so goals next season.

Craig_in_Prague
20-04-2010, 02:18 PM
Hands off deeks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Westie1875
20-04-2010, 02:19 PM
All suggests to me (and it's an opinion i've held before this wee leak) that Derek Riordan is not in the plans moving forward of John Hughes and the board..

I really can't see that being the case, if it is then Yogi is making a rod for his own back.

The board on the other hand?

clerriehibs
20-04-2010, 02:36 PM
:top marks

Good points well made without a personal insult in sight.

I'd like to see him sold before he gets into the last 12 months of his contract and we end up being shafted but I realise I'm in the minority.

How shafted???? We don't pay a guy what he can earn elsewhere, so he doesn't sign a contract but still scores for fun for us until the end of the contract. The contract that we agreed with the player. The contract with an end date.

And that's us shafted? Aye, right.

I doubt anyone who posts, or posted, anti-Riordan or anti-Murray drivel on this board about how they should sign contracts would do the same with their employer if they could earn more elsewhere.

Hibs On Tour
20-04-2010, 03:16 PM

We keep being told we don't have to sell anyone so that shouldn't come into it...

Hibs On Tour
20-04-2010, 03:16 PM
Sky Spurts rather lazily used exactly same sentence in the previous report for December 2009 where they also "understood" he was for the off.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_5765412,00.html (http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_5765412,00.html)

In the midst of all the doom and gloom, my crystal balls tell me the Hibs will sell nobody other than Bamba, will release a few rejects, but also make a couple of very important, eye-opening signings (and I mean on the scale of eye-opening ala Stokes & Miller).

If that turned out to be the case, I'd not only be surprised but delighted...

Hibs On Tour
20-04-2010, 03:18 PM
It's either that or get 1 more season with 15-20 goals and umpteen anonymous performances before he leaves for nowt whilst lining his pockets with a sign on fee. Again.

Yawn... perhaps you should stick a rotovator up his erse so he can fix the pitch while he is playing too?

He's a striker FFS - 15-20 goals a season is what he is there for, not to brighten up your day by popping up all over the frickin' pitch producing gasp-inducing 'performances' [what are these mythical things anyway? - for me, a striker scoring lots of goals is the essence of a 'performance' surely?]

Hibs On Tour
20-04-2010, 03:22 PM
We got money because Riordan and Celtic were intially happy enough to sit for 4 months without being able to play which would have resulted in Hibs getting hee haw. They then thought that that was a bit silly on everyone's part although £150K for someone with all of the attributes you highlight does seem a bit light.

Do we know he was definitely going to sign it? The contract was on the table and then Mowbray took it off. Could he not have signed it before it was taken off the table?

How do you know what he was offered originally and what was subsequently offered?

I hope Derek stays and continues to work at all the aspects of the game he needs to improve on, at the same time, like no player at Easter Road is he worth breaking the bank for.

Story I heard was that there was a contract from Blobby on the table and that when TM came in this was withdrawn 'until he had time to assess DR himself'. When the contract was a while later put back on the table - the same contract DR would have signed initially by the way - DR wanted it backdated to when it was first offered. Club refused. Hence non-signing, hence Celtic.

Was *never* the case that he simply wanted to sit his contract out, pick up a signing fee and Hibs to get nothing. He didn't want away in the first place but felt he was done over on the contract front [rightly or wrongly]

Just irks me about the myths about him being a mercenary and having sold us out... :bitchy: the lad is one of us FFS!

JimBHibees
20-04-2010, 03:33 PM
Story I heard was that there was a contract from Blobby on the table and that when TM came in this was withdrawn 'until he had time to assess DR himself'. When the contract was a while later put back on the table - the same contract DR would have signed initially by the way - DR wanted it backdated to when it was first offered. Club refused. Hence non-signing, hence Celtic.

Was *never* the case that he simply wanted to sit his contract out, pick up a signing fee and Hibs to get nothing. He didn't want away in the first place but felt he was done over on the contract front [rightly or wrongly]

Just irks me about the myths about him being a mercenary and having sold us out... :bitchy: the lad is one of us FFS!

He isnt really he is a professional player who wants to earn a decent buck while playing and fair does for that as it is his job. Lets not pretend he didnt want to go to Celtc though.

Hibs On Tour
20-04-2010, 04:15 PM
He isnt really he is a professional player who wants to earn a decent buck while playing and fair does for that as it is his job. Lets not pretend he didnt want to go to Celtc though.

He's a born and bred Hibby. There are enough people on these boards who know him personally to confirm that, as I'm sure you already know. He could certainly claim to be 'living the dream' in playing for your own club but that's hardly a stick to beat him with is it?

PS - if the club hadn't pissed around with the contract in the first place, Celtic would never have even come into consideration [at least not back then]. No-one is pretending that when it happened he didn't want to go there - point I am making is that the initial cause of him going was the club's and not from DR...

new malkyhib
20-04-2010, 06:11 PM
I'll admit that having him in the team has been a hindrance in terms of shape this season. But selling him would be the lazy option, I'd rather we built a team to accommodate him.

:top marksCorrect. I never get the Riordan bashers on here...he's NEVER been able to skin a player for pace, he's NEVER been able to tackle a fish supper, he's NEVER been a target man, winning headers and bringing others into play...

He has however, ALWAYS scored goals, usually out of nothing, and likes nothing better than scoring against that lot...and has popped in 16 this season from out on the left wing (and I venture he would have got more on a decent park to boot).

Move him in one place alongside a big robust forward and have Stokes on the right - allied to a decent defence and a more combative midfield and we wouldn't be far away IMO.

But no, let's sell him:confused:

Captain Trips
20-04-2010, 06:17 PM
Whilst all is going well off the park, some sort of structure must take shape on it, the possibility of losing Riordan will not IMO help.

We certainly need to make some changes on the park and he shouldnt be even close to one of them, I think in some parts we have came a long way as a club over last few years but not anywhere near enough to be able to allow Riordan to go.

When utilsed correctly he is a talent, im not interested in his work rate I am interested in somebody getting him played in right place to score, he isnt a worker he is a finisher.

Kenny Miller is a worker but I bet any Rangers fan would have Mccoist in his prime. John Rankin is a worker but cannot IMO play that well, if Riordan had all the things we like he would never in a million years be at Hibs now, he would be on his 60k p/w down south.

DH1875
20-04-2010, 07:29 PM
Another non story, Deek is a home boy, can't see him moving as I don't think he would get away with his attitude down south

What's a boy to do if the club dont want you though. The whole fine thing was a joke. Hope he is here next season and for the season after that but can't see it.

silverhibee
20-04-2010, 07:37 PM
How could someone who according to some people on here is just a lazy player who does nothing for the team apart from hit a decent dead ball be attracting so much interest? :devil:

Maybe that someone knows more about football than us faceless wonders on .net. :cool2: :greengrin

Barney McGrew
20-04-2010, 07:44 PM
Maybe that someone knows more about football than us faceless wonders on .net. :cool2: :greengrin

In some cases, I don't think that would be particularly difficult :cool2:

RMG_82
21-04-2010, 01:32 AM

Riordans a legend. A two footed natural talent. We should build the team around him. Cant believe there's talk of emptying him :boo hoo:

rainman
21-04-2010, 01:53 AM
We keep being told we don't have to sell anyone so that shouldn't come into it...

Manchester United lost Ronaldo to real madrid. Are they a selling club?

If a good offer comes in, any player in the team will be away. with 19 and 16 goals a piece, so far, I'd expect offers to come in for them.

Should we sell the lazy, 21 year old, 19-goals-so-far striker or thelazy, 27 year old, 16 goals so far midfielder.

I realise that one kisses the badge so opinions are skewed, but for me, I'd take the money for him and run.

RMG_82
21-04-2010, 05:31 AM

If a good offer comes in, any player in the team will be away. with 19 and 16 goals a piece, so far, I'd expect offers to come in for them.

Should we sell the lazy, 21 year old, 19-goals-so-far striker or thelazy, 27 year old, 16 goals so far midfielder.

I realise that one kisses the badge so opinions are skewed, but for me, I'd take the money for him and run.

Did Deeks pump yir burd or something? I cant believe this talk. He can score a goal out of nothing. Aye he's lazy, what striker isnt? What would u rather have? A 20 goals a season lazy arse or a hardworking 7/8 goals a season middle of the road journeyman numpy. U really are a clownshoe rainman

Beefster
21-04-2010, 05:55 AM
Did Deeks pump yir burd or something? I cant believe this talk. He can score a goal out of nothing. Aye he's lazy, what striker isnt? What would u rather have? A 20 goals a season lazy arse or a hardworking 7/8 goals a season middle of the road journeyman numpy. U really are a clownshoe rainman

Rainman's point was that, if it came to it and we had the choice to sell one or the other, we should sell Riordan before Stokes.

You'd disagree?

truehibernian
21-04-2010, 06:23 AM
Rainman's point was that, if it came to it and we had the choice to sell one or the other, we should sell Riordan before Stokes.

You'd disagree?

Why oh why oh why (in true Points of View style) is there never ever a Sky Sports News exclusive with the headline "Nish attracting interest in England and abroad" story instead :boo hoo::faf: Surely then we would all agree...............sell the hopeless streak of lilian :tin hat:

Sandy
21-04-2010, 06:30 AM

:clown:

And I'm sure he'll use that entitlement when he sees the pound signs. Again.

1 year to go. Sell sell sell.

You really are a right pain in the arse when it comes to Deeks, has he humped your missus or something ?. You are further away from the action than I am and you seem to have a huge agenda when it comes to Deeks. Care to explain why ?

basehibby
21-04-2010, 07:11 AM
Would love to see Deeks get his 100 goals for Hibs - something he should be capable of doing next season - hopefully he feels the same too :cool2:.

rainman
21-04-2010, 07:23 AM

You really are a right pain in the arse when it comes to Deeks, has he humped your missus or something ?. You are further away from the action than I am and you seem to have a huge agenda when it comes to Deeks. Care to explain why ?

Probably!

Every c*** else has.

To be honest, I don't have a problem with Deeks. The main point I was trying to make was that if it was a choice of selling him or Stokes, I'd sell him due to his age and dare i say it, attitude.

I have however noticed that when you go against popular opinion and discuss his short comings, some fans on here seem to take it as a personal insult and fly back at you with abuse. Since noticing this, I can't help but bait these guys for sport. ClerrieHibs being the prime, but not so clever example. :wink:

bighairyfaeleith
21-04-2010, 07:32 AM
So lets summarise a little

Deeks has NOT said he wants to leave now, in the summer or even next year.

Hughes has NOT said he wants to sell deeks.

The board have NOT said they want to sell deeks.

Sky sports understands some clubs may want to sign deeks, shocka****ingrooney, he is a 20 goal a year striker, lots of clubs will want to sign him.

This is a **** thread. FACT :greengrin

Go on deeks sign an extension and stick it right up these *****!!! :thumbsup:

Love to see deeks finish his career at hibs.

Sandy
21-04-2010, 07:58 AM
Probably!

Every c*** else has.

To be honest, I don't have a problem with Deeks. The main point I was trying to make was that if it was a choice of selling him or Stokes, I'd sell him due to his age and dare i say it, attitude.

I have however noticed that when you go against popular opinion and discuss his short comings, some fans on here seem to take it as a personal insult and fly back at you with abuse. Since noticing this, I can't help but bait these guys for sport. ClerrieHibs being the prime, but not so clever example. :wink:

:notworthy::top marks No personal offense intended mate, just that it really annoys me when Hibs fans think we can afford to lose a 15-20 goals a season player, and then somehow become a better team :confused: Now I know it is all about teamwork etc etc, but once again :confused:

HFC 0-7
21-04-2010, 08:10 AM
:notworthy::top marks No personal offense intended mate, just that it really annoys me when Hibs fans think we can afford to lose a 15-20 goals a season player, and then somehow become a better team :confused: Now I know it is all about teamwork etc etc, but once again :confused:

I would sell Riordan now, IF we will struggle to get him to sign another contract. Yes we will lose his 15 - 20 goals a season, but if he isnt looking like signing a contract extension then we are better to lose his goals now and get some money to try and find some sort of replacement than lose him for nothing and lose his goals.

Yogi needs to get his finger out now and start having discussions with these players over contract extensions, and if they are not going to sign them then they need to be sold for money as hibs cant aford to lose players for nothing an expect replacements to be brought in.

emmjayfox
21-04-2010, 08:17 AM

Are they seeing something a lot of hibs fans arent?? Workshy will hopefully leave in the summer and we will bring in a left sided player with a bit pace and drive about him.Only my opinion of course.:greengrin

Hainan Hibs
21-04-2010, 08:34 AM
A small part of me would sell him purely so I didn't have to read grown men lose all self respect by acting like 15 year old girls when criticism is made of Riordan. Handbags are thrown and nails are out to scratch at embarrassing level.

I'd personally keep him because his goals are vital in many games and he has saved us numerous points. However I do feel he should be played up front and not on the wing where we do need an actual left winger.

I can't buy into this idolising him like a girl would a boy in a boy band because of the amount of cringing I've done over posts here but especially when he returned. Coming out of ER and stuttering "Eh....well...eh...thanks for taking me back", then the supporters there proceeded to cream themselves. It was like some insecure wife taking back her husband after he had ****ged away. Cringe-worthy to say the least.

Riordan's record speaks for itself. 15-20 goals each season with us, wonder goals saving us many a time, getting it right up the Yams on many occasions too. But for the love of god, would youse all maintain some self respect when someone has the audacity to have a difference of opinion? You're not only embarrassing yourself but you're embarrassing grown men worldwide.

Shaggy
21-04-2010, 08:46 AM
To be honest........
I can see Nish & Benji unloaded...
and Riordan and Stokes selt.........Gow Staying and Zemmama resigned, Byrne giving a go and a couple of new unknown signings in the summer.

Thats my Mystic Meg for today:rolleyes:

Expecting Rain
21-04-2010, 08:53 AM
Find the anti-Riordan mob more than amusing, one of the all time top scorers, spectacular goals, great technique with either foot and a local lad and supporter of the club but oh he doesn`t run around and put tackles in.

bighairyfaeleith
21-04-2010, 08:59 AM
A small part of me would sell him purely so I didn't have to read grown men lose all self respect by acting like 15 year old girls when criticism is made of Riordan. Handbags are thrown and nails are out to scratch at embarrassing level.

I'd personally keep him because his goals are vital in many games and he has saved us numerous points. However I do feel he should be played up front and not on the wing where we do need an actual left winger.

I can't buy into this idolising him like a girl would a boy in a boy band because of the amount of cringing I've done over posts here but especially when he returned. Coming out of ER and stuttering "Eh....well...eh...thanks for taking me back", then the supporters there proceeded to cream themselves. It was like some insecure wife taking back her husband after he had ****ged away. Cringe-worthy to say the least.

Riordan's record speaks for itself. 15-20 goals each season with us, wonder goals saving us many a time, getting it right up the Yams on many occasions too. But for the love of god, would youse all maintain some self respect when someone has the audacity to have a difference of opinion? You're not only embarrassing yourself but you're embarrassing grown men worldwide.

aaw gies a hug you big manly man you :love ya!:

Sandy
21-04-2010, 09:06 AM
aaw gies a hug you big manly man you :love ya!:

I wouldn't risk it if he lives in Aberdeen, you never can tell up there :greengrin

Wilson
21-04-2010, 09:07 AM

I liked this post. :top marks

I think though that HibbyAndy would genuinely take it up the tail-pipe from Riordan so his posts are excused :cool2:

jdships
21-04-2010, 09:24 AM

You have hit the nail right on the head !!
Let's put aside that we are talking about DR and generalise.
A professional footballer's career at top level lasts say 12/14 years , max, and during that time he has to seriously weigh up any "opportunity" that comes along or is offered .
OK mistakes are/can be made due to bad advice from an agent or whoever.
At the end of his footballing career the chances are he has no "alternative skills" to use to continue earning wages he was when playing.
Therefore it is a case of " take what you can get when you can get it "
Players will always move to better themselves - we have no right to criticise them for that if the club will not pay "good" wages.
I know when I played I remained a Hibbee regardless who I was playing for but that did not stop me giving 100% for the club who payed my
wages :greengrin

As for "Deek" .
Yes he is a Hibbee , but also he is a human being who want's to make the best use of the talent he has to improve his life style .
Before anyone says it his private life is none of our business unless it affects his playing
Can any of you , honestly, put your hand on your heart and say you wouldn't do the same if a "once in a lifetime job opportunity" was offered you ?
I would and have done !!!

Que Sera Sera - if he stays , great , if he moves on ,so be it .

:flag:

basehibby
21-04-2010, 10:01 AM
I would sell Riordan now, IF we will struggle to get him to sign another contract. Yes we will lose his 15 - 20 goals a season, but if he isnt looking like signing a contract extension then we are better to lose his goals now and get some money to try and find some sort of replacement than lose him for nothing and lose his goals.

Yogi needs to get his finger out now and start having discussions with these players over contract extensions, and if they are not going to sign them then they need to be sold for money as hibs cant aford to lose players for nothing an expect replacements to be brought in.

...erm - don't you think Yogi has to get his finger out now and try and get a team on the park that can win us 4th place and thus European football next season???
Once he's done that he can THEN get his finger out of wherever it is he keeps putting it and start thinking about contract negotiations.
I disagree BTW that a player not signing an extension necessarilly means we have to get a fee for him - any such fee should be balanced against what said player brings to the club - if that's 15-20 goals then it would have to be a bloody good fee before I'd even give it the time of day.

Phil MaGlass
21-04-2010, 11:53 AM
I think Deeks will be our striker next year and Stokes will be off.

clerriehibs
21-04-2010, 12:09 PM
Since noticing this, I can't help but bait these guys for sport.

:jamboid:

All too obvious, really ... he's hiding out in Australia, and persists and persists in getting Riordan out the door. He's only here for the fishing; spends most of his time on brokeback.

Diclonius
21-04-2010, 12:15 PM
Deek won't go unless he's pushed.

judas
21-04-2010, 12:36 PM
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11781_6105166,00.html

Good.

I look forward to Hibs playing with 11 men again.

Future17
21-04-2010, 12:38 PM
Good.

:fishin:

Where you going to find them?

Beefster
21-04-2010, 01:20 PM
So on what evidence do you base your opinion on?:wink:

The history of Derek suggests to me that there is only ONE place he wants to be. And that's Easter Road.

On the park he's been mucked about. Left midfield FFS...

Off the park he has been fined for comments he's made about the state of the pitch. Benji said similar and wasn't fined.

Derek is a living still playing legend. He's in the top 10 of our all time greatest goalscorers. Despite being played this season in a ridiculous left midfield position he's still contributing with lots of goals and assists.

Why haven't the club opened contract negotiations with him?

All suggests to me (and it's an opinion i've held before this wee leak) that Derek Riordan is not in the plans moving forward of John Hughes and the board.:boo hoo:

You know it's not always about evidence.

Successive managers have been playing him in left midfield for years. There must be a reason for it.

No negotiations yet because he's got over a year left on his contract. Did you assume that Murray wasn't in Hughes' plans before he recently signed his extension (about 4 months before his current one ran out)?

As someone's already said, there is a Diana-style outpouring of grief and misery every time Riordan is criticised on here (he's one of us, dontcha know), linked with a move away (oh, he's being driven away by the fans/club/bouncers) or slighted by the club in some way (left midfield, how dare they! dropped, how dare they! subbed, how dare they!). If he goes, he goes - we've lost better players than him in the past (e.g. Riordan first time round). If it goes tits-up for Hibs, on Yogi's head be it.

Ritchie
21-04-2010, 01:21 PM
if deek leaves it will be down to one man and one man only.... John Hughes.

his stupid persistance in playing him out of position will drive him out the club.

if i was asked to choose who id prefer to stay at the club between deek & yogi... i know who id choose.... and he doesnt score goals! :rolleyes:

Dunbar Hibee
21-04-2010, 01:38 PM

his stupid persistance in playing him out of position will drive him out the club.

if i was asked to choose who id prefer to stay at the club between deek & yogi... i know who id choose.... and he doesnt score goals! :rolleyes:

I don't think that will be the case. I think unless Deek is pushed out of the club he will not go.

dangermouse
21-04-2010, 01:41 PM
I wish people would actually sit up and take notice of what Deek's does for 90 minutes during a match before wrongly suggesting he is work shy.

Watch how many times he tracks back and helps Murray out.

This LAZY tag is just p1sh.

Is Rankin or Miller or McBride or Galbraith or Cregg classed as lazy? No! I know who would be first pick on my teamsheet between them.

Mr Petrie, sell Deek's and watch the Season Ticket applications come flooding in NOT.

Hibernia Na Eir
21-04-2010, 01:43 PM
one word in reponse to this thread:-

GOOD.

vahibbie
21-04-2010, 02:47 PM

All too obvious, really ... he's hiding out in Australia, and persists and persists in getting Riordan out the door. He's only here for the fishing; spends most of his time on brokeback.

Definitely not.

He is however talking pish about Deek:wink:

Hibs90
21-04-2010, 02:55 PM
Deeks won't be going anywhere. :agree:

seanraff07
21-04-2010, 03:01 PM
Well he kind of done it once anyway. Although we did get money for him.
Only about £150K though as his contract only had a few months left on it.

scoopyboy
21-04-2010, 03:04 PM
I want Deeks to stay at ER for the rest of his career but what people have to realise is that the man can choose to walk at the end of next season if he so wishes.

It's all very well saying (or in many instances slagging) Hibs cannot let him leave, the bottom line is if Deeks wants to leave he is perfectly entitled to do so at the end of next season.

Others are saying sell him now, but if Deeks doesn't fancy it he doesn't need to go anywhere irrespective of how much Hibs might fancy the figure offered.

FWIW I don't think he would sign a contract extension right now and equally I don't think Hibs will be offering one at this moment in time.

I think round about Crimbo is when talks may start, similar to Nid.

silverhibee
21-04-2010, 11:22 PM
I wish people would actually sit up and take notice of what Deek's does for 90 minutes during a match before wrongly suggesting he is work shy.

Watch how many times he tracks back and helps Murray out.

This LAZY tag is just p1sh.

Is Rankin or Miller or McBride or Galbraith or Cregg classed as lazy? No! I know who would be first pick on my teamsheet between them.

Mr Petrie, sell Deek's and watch the Season Ticket applications come flooding in NOT.

:top marks :notworthy: :agree::agree::agree: :thumbsup: :hnet:

TowerHibs
22-04-2010, 12:07 AM

Are you the male equilvalient of Germaine Greer?

Away back and touch your self in front of the mirror ya tool?

Cringe worthy stuff like that? :greengrin

Bayern Bru
22-04-2010, 12:41 AM
When Riordan left Hibs for Celtic, I wasn't quite sure how to react. I was sure we'd miss his goals throughout the season and although I don't think the 'one-club-player' exists anymore, I'd imagined him to be at Hibs for a fairly lengthy amount of time. On the flip side, he didn't have the best reputation off the field and, it could be argued, created a lot of negative press for himself obviously, as well as the club.

As a result, I suppose I was somewhat indifferent to him leaving, and when Strachan didn't play him I figured that it was either something to do with attitude or Strachan trying to limit Hibs' capabilities, as the Old Firm did for years (Anyone remember Dariusz Adamczuk?!).

Ultimately, his move to Celtic must have been financially-oriented, and I think in this day and age when there is so much money in football, you can't blame a player for trying to set themselves up for life. I'm sure many of the .netters would do the same, and might have already done the same in their respective jobs.

That said, I was pretty happy when he came back to ER, and although the corny suggestions of 'the prodigal son returns' caused a few to cringe, the main point was that he was back at Hibs where many say 'he belongs.'

When Yogi was appointed, I imagined him as the kind of manager to take no nonsense from, and who would motivate Riordan. Yet there have been rumours of Petrie and Hughes having 'an alternative agenda' regarding Riordan and whether or not that is to turn him into a cash cow, no-one can say for sure. But to suggest that Riordan doesn't try is a bit cheeky. As Dangermouse points out, he does often track back and helps Murray, more so than people give him credit for. Yes he makes mistakes but then again I would say just about every regular player for Hibs this season has made at least one mistake, if not more.

Perhaps Petrie agreed to re-signing Riordan in the hopes that he could sell him off again for a good price - as we know, Petrie isn't stupid when it comes to finance. For the time being though, Riordan is still a Hibs player, and he still deserves the support of the fans. It's true he can be frustrating but then again the whole team can be frustrating.

It's important to remember that he's not the world's best player, and to expect so much of him, and then lambast him when he doesn't deliver is nothing short of unfair. The boy contributes a significant number of goals for Hibs and accordingly, a significant number of points. I think that's the important thing to remember here.

silverhibee
22-04-2010, 12:57 AM
When Riordan left Hibs for Celtic, I wasn't quite sure how to react. I was sure we'd miss his goals throughout the season and although I don't think the 'one-club-player' exists anymore, I'd imagined him to be at Hibs for a fairly lengthy amount of time. On the flip side, he didn't have the best reputation off the field and, it could be argued, created a lot of negative press for himself obviously, as well as the club.

As a result, I suppose I was somewhat indifferent to him leaving, and when Strachan didn't play him I figured that it was either something to do with attitude or Strachan trying to limit Hibs' capabilities, as the Old Firm did for years (Anyone remember Dariusz Adamczuk?!).

Ultimately, his move to Celtic must have been financially-oriented, and I think in this day and age when there is so much money in football, you can't blame a player for trying to set themselves up for life. I'm sure many of the .netters would do the same, and might have already done the same in their respective jobs.

That said, I was pretty happy when he came back to ER, and although the corny suggestions of 'the prodigal son returns' caused a few to cringe, the main point was that he was back at Hibs where many say 'he belongs.'

When Yogi was appointed, I imagined him as the kind of manager to take no nonsense from, and who would motivate Riordan. Yet there have been rumours of Petrie and Hughes having 'an alternative agenda' regarding Riordan and whether or not that is to turn him into a cash cow, no-one can say for sure. But to suggest that Riordan doesn't try is a bit cheeky. As Dangermouse points out, he does often track back and helps Murray, more so than people give him credit for. Yes he makes mistakes but then again I would say just about every regular player for Hibs this season has made at least one mistake, if not more.

Perhaps Petrie agreed to re-signing Riordan in the hopes that he could sell him off again for a good price - as we know, Petrie isn't stupid when it comes to finance. For the time being though, Riordan is still a Hibs player, and he still deserves the support of the fans. It's true he can be frustrating but then again the whole team can be frustrating.

It's important to remember that he's not the world's best player, and to expect so much of him, and then lambast him when he doesn't deliver is nothing short of unfair. The boy contributes a significant number of goals for Hibs and accordingly, a significant number of points. I think that's the important thing to remember here.

Good post LH.

Hibs On Tour
22-04-2010, 09:06 AM

Hardly apples for apples is it? Worlds best player and an £80m offer? For a player who repeatedly made noises about wanting to go?

Point I am making is that - for once - I'd like us to KEEP [or at least try to] our best players and try to build something instead of just repeatedly building it up only to knock it down at the first time of asking all the time. Seriously - what price do you think we'd realistically have to spend to get a player who could score as many goals as DR and have the same dead-ball threat?

After all, you get **** all points for having workhorses in your team who track back and aren't this mythical 'lazy'. You do however get points for winning games which only happens by scoring goals...

Give you - as I see - a relevant example.

TM sells McDonald. Gets £3.5m - gets RK on loan. Rumoured to have been £1m fee to go there and £65k per week while there. By the time he leaves Celtc probably have less than half of the McDonald fee left. Now, for me, RK isn't going to necessarily score more than McDonald would have if he'd got the same run of games. So, for me, Celtc have just taken £1.5-2m and lobbed it out of the window for little improvement in results and then have to find a replacement in the summer for half the cash. To me, that's hair-brained. Realise there was probably stuff behind the scenes but for me results on the park are the only thing that counts and ultimately DR scores a bagfull of goals for us. That's all I want him to do and continue doing.

GGTTH

PS - hear what you're saying about 'but if we had to sell one of them' but my point is that we don't HAVE to sell either of them...

clerriehibs
22-04-2010, 10:36 AM
Good.

Yeah, we can do without someone from left midfield scoring 15+ goals in a season. After all, the game's not about goals, it's about running up and down very fast, shouting "track back" all the time.

Expecting Rain
22-04-2010, 10:50 AM
Sell lazy Deeks and use the profits to secure long term deals for Hogg,Rankin and Nish.

borstalboy
22-04-2010, 10:54 AM
No point in Riordan scoring 15+ Goals if the team aren't winning!........

Craig_in_Prague
22-04-2010, 10:57 AM
Sell lazy Deeks and use the profits to secure long term deals for Hogg,Rankin and Nish.

Wouldn't be surprised if this happened!! :grr:

Bad Martini
22-04-2010, 11:13 AM
Should we sell the lazy, 21 year old, 19-goals-so-far striker or

the lazy 27 year old, 16 goals so far midfielder.

You sum it up perfectly mate.

We have a 21 year old striker who has bagged 19...

We have a 27 year old midfielder who has bagged 16...(and set-up our striker with some of his 19)

Here's a thought though; I'd keep them both.

I'd offload Benji. He's petulent, scores less than them both, doesn't really want to be at Hibs and lets to piss about kidding on otherwise folks - he's said it plenty times himself when trying to sook up to other clubs.

I'd also consider Nish's position carefully.

I'd keep Zooma. I'd keep Rankin contrary to popular opinion as he is not as bad as some note.

I'd seriously question the worth of some of our other top "players" - who are also "lazy" or "not good enough".

But, would I say :bye: to 35+ goals per season? Or half of them? When we need all the goals we can get? When we're shipping ****loads due to our defensive issues?

No.

And remember this, one and all; when we were at our goal-scoring best and when we had St Tony with Garry O and Deek up front hammering in the goals that was the reason we took so many draws and won the games - we leaked goals like **** but, those two were battering them in up the other end and countering our defensive and midfield issues..................

It is NOT rocket science people. Goals keep you in the game. Throw away 15-16-17 or however many and watch those draws and narrow wins turn into loses.....

ENDOF

Speedway
22-04-2010, 12:33 PM

At last, some sense on this thread.

Ritchie
22-04-2010, 12:38 PM

that would actually be my worst nightmare..... :bitchy:

Danderhall Hibs
22-04-2010, 12:43 PM
Only about £150K though as his contract only had a few months left on it.

But we got more than £0 for him though?

Team won't win if we don't score goals...

Jim44
22-04-2010, 01:30 PM
I'm a bit confused with the constant references to Riordan being played out of position. As far as I can remember watching him, he has played a wide 'roving' role on the left ( sometimes more roving and active depending on his mood admittedly ) and has regularly referred to this position as his favoured one. I don't see him playing in any other position. :dunno:

Danderhall Hibs
22-04-2010, 01:44 PM
I'm a bit confused with the constant references to Riordan being played out of position. As far as I can remember watching him, he has played a wide 'roving' role on the left ( sometimes more roving and active depending on his mood admittedly ) and has regularly referred to this position as his favoured one. I don't see him playing in any other position. :dunno:

He's been playing left midfield all season. When he was here under Mowbray he played on the left of the main striker. So when he got the ball he was in a position to shoot or create, now when he gets the ball he's more often than not on the halfway line.

BoltonHibee
22-04-2010, 01:49 PM
He's been playing left midfield all season. When he was here under MOwbray he played on the left of the main striker. So when he got the ball he was in a position to shoot or create, now when he getst he ball he's more often than not on the halfway line.

and now when he receives the ball, instead of having one maybe two to beat in the last third, he is deeper and has much more to do to be as effective.

Captain Trips
22-04-2010, 06:08 PM
I look forward to the team we have on the park that allows Riordan to go to be positive. The team we have now is light years away from that.

judas
22-04-2010, 06:31 PM
Yeah, we can do without someone from left midfield scoring 15+ goals in a season. After all, the game's not about goals, it's about running up and down very fast, shouting "track back" all the time.

How many goals has Riordan cost us though?

fatbloke
22-04-2010, 06:38 PM
Cant really see him going to China

Is that the new nightclub in the Grassmarket?:greengrin

Alfred E Newman
22-04-2010, 06:51 PM

Exactly, the guy is a waste of space. Bring back AOB :yawn:

silverhibee
22-04-2010, 07:35 PM

Never heard him say this.

Aldo
22-04-2010, 07:46 PM
Someone posted a bit about Hughes and having to trust him cos some players will be leaving.

Well here is food for thought

Sold :- Bamba, Stokes, Deek, Zemmama

Can we really afford to lose players of their calibre and players who would be in the starting XI of every other team in Scotland

IF this was the case we would have to TRUST Hughes wouldnt we?????

For me losing these players is the difference between fighting for Europa League and relegation. O and this is only my opinion.

.Sean.
22-04-2010, 07:49 PM
Probably about 15 x less than he's scored.

AinsterHibs
22-04-2010, 11:23 PM
I look forward to the team we have on the park that allows Riordan to go to be positive. The team we have now is light years away from that.

Bang on:thumbsup:

jacomo
22-04-2010, 11:25 PM
When Riordan returned from Celtic (for a fee, I believe), the signing was described as a "statement of intent" by our chief exec.

I wonder what the club's intent is now?

Expecting Rain
23-04-2010, 10:15 AM
that would actually be my worst nightmare..... :bitchy:

:wink:

dangermouse
23-04-2010, 12:33 PM

Don't recall that at all. If anything Deeks has regularly referred to preferring to play in a front two.

SalfordHibs
23-04-2010, 12:38 PM
Cardiff, Swansea, and Leeds are all keeping tabs on the suituation.

Hibs On Tour
23-04-2010, 01:07 PM

Really? Not that many if any. FFS he's a left-sided striker not a left-back!

Hibs On Tour
23-04-2010, 01:10 PM

Let them. We have no need to sell him unless someone comes in and offers us seriously funny money for him. Barring that, the next statement of intent I want to hear from the board is a loud and clear '**** off' to anyone who comes calling for any player we want to stay. Far as I am concerned I would like to see them extend his contract in the summer so that we don't get into this same rumour merry-go-round next summer...

Craig_in_Prague
23-04-2010, 01:51 PM

Or we can pluck any 3 non Premiership teams out of the air, list them and say they're after Deek, or indeed any player.

RIP
23-04-2010, 02:03 PM
The express now speculating that 'The disenchanted Riordan' may make way for Kevin Kyle :confused:

hibeemark
23-04-2010, 02:19 PM

Yogi is playing Riordan in the same position the three previous managers did - even Mowbray (when he played him!) had Deek out on the left. :confused:

The theory that Riordan would be more at home upfront is entirely unproven (and given his slight physique, a bit unlikely in my opinion).

I'd be very sad to see him go. He scores spectacular goals, can create chances out of nothing, and in doing so can turn a match around with one kick of the ball. We have precious few players that can do that these days - Zemmama's another one - so why would we want to replace him with more dross like Rankin etc?

The media's scapegoating of Riordan has been pretty low at times, and I find the 'lazy' tag to be a complete misnomer too. To be honest, I suspect a lot of it comes from snobbish folk who just can't accept that some wee guy from Drylaw has the sort of special talent which inspires such deserved adulation from the fans.

Danderhall Hibs
23-04-2010, 02:21 PM
Yogi is playing Riordan in the same position the three previous managers did

No he's not. I don't see why so many folk are so confused by this.

ian cruise
23-04-2010, 02:22 PM
no way we should let riordan go, but im not sure he would score many more upfront, he's not exactly known for his tap ins is he? outside the box though i'd fancy his chancesto hit the back of the net over anyone else inthe spl.

hibeemark
23-04-2010, 02:23 PM
No he's not. I don't see why so many folk are so confused by this.

Can you explain? :dunno:

Craig_in_Prague
23-04-2010, 02:26 PM

Well have you watched Hibs since Deek was playing 1st time round?

If yes, can't be difficult to get it.

Danderhall Hibs
23-04-2010, 02:27 PM

Under Mowbray there were 3 central midfielders behind him to do the midfielders job, in the current formation he's much deeper (see Post 104, this thread.)

Cocaine&Caviar
23-04-2010, 02:29 PM
and the striker he was playing with in those sides were better at holding the ball up than Stokes, just very different sort of lone strikers to Stokers...

hibeemark
23-04-2010, 02:30 PM
Well have you watched Hibs since Deek was a playing 1st time round?

If yes, can't be difficult to get it.

Mowbray: he was out on the left, with Garry O'Connor in the 'Stokes' role.

Strachan: when Riordan played for Celtic at Easter Road, he seemed to be out left too (I remember one particular run down the wing which resulted in a goal :grr:).

Mixu: where he is now.

Have I got that completely wrong? :confused:

.Sean.
23-04-2010, 02:31 PM
I don't think i'd be alone in being absoultely enraged Riordan is shipped out in the summer. He's got 15 goals from midfield, think how many he'd have bagged by now if Hughes had given him a run in his natural position.

Cue the responses of ''***** work ethic'' etc :blah:

I can guaruntee you didn't complain in the past about his apparant lack of effort when he's banged them in against Hearts, Huns Celtic and the like.

To be honest, his work ethic doesn't bother me. I look at the fact he is a goal-scoring striker worth 15 goals a season at the very least, and one we are extremely lucky to have at the club. Tremendous talent.

Cocaine&Caviar
23-04-2010, 02:37 PM
I don't think i'd be alone in being absoultely enraged Riordan is shipped out in the summer. He's got 15 goals from midfield, think how many he'd have bagged by now if Hughes had given him a run in his natural position.

But how many Goals would Stokes have if he was played alongside Riordan?

ian cruise
23-04-2010, 02:45 PM
But how many Goals would Stokes have if he was played alongside Riordan?

depends how greedy riordan was being. :cool2:

heretoday
23-04-2010, 02:47 PM
If, as seems suggested, Riordan is away Hibs will need to replace him with a star quality player. Any idea who that might be?

Are there any stars left in Scotland?

Westie1875
23-04-2010, 03:06 PM
depends how greedy riordan was being. :cool2:

I don't think Riordan is the greedier of the two

vahibbie
23-04-2010, 03:23 PM
If, as seems suggested, Riordan is away Hibs will need to replace him with a star quality player. Any idea who that might be?

If Deek is away, hopefully that will not be the case, I'd be totally amazed if Hibs replaced him with anyone of remotely the same quality.
I predict mass moaning next season when we are all wondering where Deek's 15 goals went:confused:

Cocaine&Caviar
23-04-2010, 03:59 PM
I predict mass moaning next season when we are all wondering where Deek's 15 goals went:confused:

But in a 4-4-2, with Kyle and Stokes up top, I would expect another 20 from Stokes after a real pre-season and a knowledge of the team; I would also expect 10+ from Kyle, and having more contribution from the more balanced midfield.

vahibbie
23-04-2010, 04:25 PM
But in a 4-4-2, with Kyle and Stokes up top, I would expect another 20 from Stokes after a real pre-season and a knowledge of the team; I would also expect 10+ from Kyle, and having more contribution from the more balanced midfield.

If that's the case why not just play Nish up front in 4-4-2, I'd expect 10+ goals from him playing regularly in that formation. He's scored 6 or so currently.
Seems to me you're still missing a shed load of goals from a Riordan or similar quality player.
FFS even just his goals from free kicks....who's going to score them:confused:

Alfred E Newman
23-04-2010, 04:50 PM

We would not be able to replace him. Natural goalscorers who can strike the ball with either foot and can come up with 15 to 20 goals a season are pretty thin on the ground. And anyway, we could not afford it.

Sumner
23-04-2010, 04:55 PM
Riordan & the Exit door - meets Petrie & Hughes agenda.

Danderhall Hibs
23-04-2010, 04:56 PM

Does the agenda include playing him every week?

What else is involved?

Betty Boop
23-04-2010, 05:33 PM
I read on the Bounce, Derek has a baby on the way. He might not want to leave Edinburgh if that is the case.

Cocaine&Caviar
23-04-2010, 05:58 PM
If that's the case why not just play Nish up front in 4-4-2, I'd expect 10+ goals from him playing regularly in that formation. He's scored 6 or so currently.
Seems to me you're still missing a shed load of goals from a Riordan or similar quality player.
FFS even just his goals from free kicks....who's going to score them:confused:

Because Nish, although a very large man, doesnt use his physical presence as well as he could, especially not on a regular basis. Whereas Kyle is a better traditional target man striker. Also, if we were to play the 4-4-2 with Kyle and Stokes with traditional wingers, we might see more goals from the other midfield players, I believe Zemmama, Wotherspoon and Galbraith are capable of a few between them.

As for Free Kicks, it wasnt that long ago we have people arguing over who is taking them, we have a wealth of ability in that area; all of Stokes, Zemmama and Galbraith have shown ability this season in goals from dead ball situations, and Ive seen Miller hit a few for Sunderland. We've also been linked with Mulgrew, and we all know what he is capable of.

.Sean.
23-04-2010, 06:27 PM
One thing that may tempt Riordan to head to China if he was to receive a concrete offer would be that he could get into Shanghai on a saturday night :devil:

judas
23-04-2010, 06:32 PM
Really? Not that many if any. FFS he's a left-sided striker not a left-back!

Really? How naive.

Have you ever heard of this concept: Defending from the front?

Or do you assume that one man who scores 15 goals (half of which come from free kicks or penalties) need do nothing more.

silverhibee
23-04-2010, 08:00 PM
Really? How naive.

Or do you assume that one man who scores 15 goals (half of which come from free kicks or penalties) need do nothing more.

But he does do more, he also has eight assists this season to go with his sixteen goals, if Riordan has been that bad this season then why does Yogi continue to play him. :confused:

clerriehibs
23-04-2010, 09:15 PM

plus the agenda of rayman .... or rainman ...or rayban ... or whoever he is on the other side of the world who has never seen riordan play but wants him out the door.

clerriehibs
23-04-2010, 09:17 PM
Really? How naive.

Really? How naive. Have you never heard of the concept of scoring goals in football? Like, that guy, wossisname, Riordan?

clerriehibs
23-04-2010, 09:18 PM
Really? How naive.

Half of which??? You have stats for that? How naive.

ian cruise
23-04-2010, 09:20 PM
I don't think Riordan is the greedier of the two

at the start of the season they were both as bad as each other

HibbyAndy
23-04-2010, 09:21 PM
Riordan's a class act.

Nuff said.

clerriehibs
23-04-2010, 09:21 PM
Because Nish, although a very large man, doesnt use his physical presence as well as he could, especially not on a regular basis. Whereas Kyle is a better traditional target man striker. Also, if we were to play the 4-4-2 with Kyle and Stokes with traditional wingers, we might see more goals from the other midfield players, I believe Zemmama, Wotherspoon and Galbraith are capable of a few between them.

As for Free Kicks, it wasnt that long ago we have people arguing over who is taking them, we have a wealth of ability in that area; all of Stokes, Zemmama and Galbraith have shown ability this season in goals from dead ball situations, and Ive seen Miller hit a few for Sunderland. We've also been linked with Mulgrew, and we all know what he is capable of.

You ever stop and take a deep breath and wonder why other clubs are allegedly in for Riordan? Clubs with more money than us? They're buying a guy who scores goals, because he SCORES GOALS. We can't just go out and buy that!!! We have it already, but too many "fans" want shot of him!!! Unbelievable!!!

ian cruise
23-04-2010, 09:24 PM
Riordan's a class act.

Nuff said.

well said that man

:notworthy:

Cocaine&Caviar
23-04-2010, 10:01 PM
You ever stop and take a deep breath and wonder why other clubs are allegedly in for Riordan? Clubs with more money than us? They're buying a guy who scores goals, because he SCORES GOALS.

:faf:

Ive said many times before that Riordan is a quality finisher, but his playing on the left in the current system, with Stokes up top does give an imbalance to the team. This would not be the case if there was a stronger target man up top as shown in the Riordan/GOC era, and he would be better for a team if played in a 4-4-2, however I do not believe a Riordan/Stokes partnership would be successful for the team as a whole due to the lack of target man advantages previously mentioned. Therefore it would have to be one of Stokes or Riordan and a partner.

We can't just go out and buy that!!! We have it already, but too many "fans" want shot of him!!! Unbelievable!!!

Yes we have goals already, and both Stokes and Riordan have reached the targets expected of them by themselves and the fans. But look at where it has got us this season, in the first few months we had success in terms of results. However, we have probably had around 8 good performances this season where the fans have walked away happy with the football that has been played; off the top of my head, M'well Away, Ibrox, Celtic Park, Pittodrie, Utd at home and Hamitlon at home. Ive been to all games this season home and away, except for a few.

There is a lot more needed than goals in football, as Dundee Utd have shown this year with their front two having only a combined total of Stokes, but the balance of their team is what has got them playing successful football which as a team earns victories, not relying on individuals for moments of magic.

Albanian Hibs
23-04-2010, 10:05 PM
Riordan's a class act.

Nuff said.

Removed
23-04-2010, 10:24 PM

Ah he's back and posting this pish again. Where have you been hiding?

So now there is one agenda and they are the same. The other day they had agendas.

What is it/are they. Are you going to tell us or keep it to yourself.

darwenhibby
23-04-2010, 11:08 PM
I have a good contact that knows if Blackpool make the EPL, Deeks is going their for £1.5m + we get Louis Almond. Louis plays left midfield/Striker.
Louis will be valued at around 250K in the deal.

Hibs are to put him on a 4yr deal at 18yrs, with the objective to sell him in 2yrs time once he is a regular for the England under 21s and scoring 18 goals plus in the first two seasons for Hibs. Hibs are hoping to sell him for £2m+.

A little bit of a gamble but they would struggle to acquire that amount of money for Deeks alone. ie a combined fee of £3.5m

Deeks possibly needs a new challenge and we are to get one of the best young prospects in English Championship football.

Trust me this young lad will score goals.

It is all down to Blackpool going up!!

HibeeDaz6270
23-04-2010, 11:16 PM
I have a good contact that knows if Blackpool make the EPL, Deeks is going their for £1.5m + we get Louis Almond. Louis plays left midfield/Striker.

Hibs are to put him on a 4yr deal at 18yrs, with the objective to sell him in 2yrs time once he is a regular for the England under 21s and scoring 18 goals plus in the first two seasons for Hibs. Hibs are hoping to sell him for £2m+.

A little bit of a gamble but they would struggle to acquire that amount of money for Deeks alone. ie a combined fee of £3.5m

Deeks possibly needs a new challenge and we are to get one of the best young prospects in English Championship football.

I dont see how you can know this part in bold. I have no doubt if hibs bring in a player they will hope for him to be successful and get a future fee, however for you to give actual figures would seem a bit unusual?

BoltonHibee
23-04-2010, 11:18 PM

keep pulling it pal!

That is pish.

darwenhibby
23-04-2010, 11:29 PM
I dont see how you can know this part in bold. I have no doubt if hibs bring in a player they will hope for him to be successful and get a future fee, however for you to give actual figures would seem a bit unusual?

Trust me Daz. Louis is a very good player. He will certainly be a good addition to Hibs. He has just been given at 18 a 2 1/2 yr deal at Blackpool. The only one who started the scholarship with in 2008.

B/pool initially, if they remain which is more than likely, a Championship club, look to Louis as someone they can sell for a large transfer fee in the medium term.

However if they do go up which there is still a chance, he may stifle at Blackpool because he is not quite ready for the EPL.

It makes sense that Deeks could be an option as he already has the pedigree as a goal scorer. Blackpool were succesful in their gamble with Charlie Adam and do not see Deek as such a big risk.

Hibs are looking for somebody who can replace Deeks and still hopefully get a healthy return.

The reason I give the figure of £2m+ is because Blackpool hope to get a massive return on him.

darwenhibby
23-04-2010, 11:32 PM
keep pulling it pal!

That is pish.

You heard it here pal!!

HibeeDaz6270
23-04-2010, 11:33 PM
Trust me Daz. Louis is a very good player. He will certainly be a good addition to Hibs. He has just been given at 18 a 2 1/2 yr deal at Blackpool. The only one who started the scholarship with in 2008.

B/pool initially, if they remain which is more than likely, a Championship club, look to Louis as someone they can sell for a large transfer fee in the medium term.

However if they do go up which there is still a chance, he may stifle at Blackpool because he is not quite ready for the EPL.

It makes sense that Deeks could be an option as he already has the pedigree as a goal scorer. Blackpool were succesful in their gamble with Charlie Adam and do not see Deek as such a big risk.

Hibs are looking for somebody who can replace Deeks and still hopefully get a healthy return.

The reason I give the figure of £2m+ is because Blackpool hope to get a massive return on him.

Surely if he has so much potential, Blackpool would not sell him. You his value in the deal would be worth 250k. Why would they not stump up an extra £250k? offer him out on loan to either Hibs or another club, and then after he has had 1 or too good seasons, bring him back to the club when he is ready, or then sell him and recieve around £2million for him, just like your saying Hibs would?

darwenhibby
23-04-2010, 11:45 PM
Surely if he has so much potential, Blackpool would not sell him. You his value in the deal would be worth 250k. Why would they not stump up an extra £250k? offer him out on loan to either Hibs or another club, and then after he has had 1 or too good seasons, bring him back to the club when he is ready, or then sell him and recieve around £2million for him, just like your saying Hibs would?

It is just the figure being touted around

at the moment.

Can,t say anymore.

Hibs are looking at the medium to long term here. Not many clubs in Scotland have that luxury.
Hibs do not need to sell Deeks at present. They just see a better return on their money in the future which helps cash flow.

Deeks could leave Hibs in 12 months for anywhere for nothing.

Do you deny Riordan the Chance to go to the Premiership if Blackpool are promoted. Good Luck to him I say. Similar situation as Fletcher but an older player and less time on his present contract.

vahibbie
24-04-2010, 12:25 AM

Nish has scored 6 goals from the roll he currently plays. You don't think he would make your target of 10+ playing in a straight up 4-4-2 every week:confused: Not that I'm talking up Nish, I just don't think Kyle is much of an improvement.
Now Deek I will talk up:greengrin. Deek scores goals, that's surely better than "we might see a few more from other midfielders"....and none of them hits a dead baw like DR.

vahibbie
24-04-2010, 12:28 AM
plus the agenda of rayman .... or rainman ...or rayban ... or whoever he is on the other side of the world who has never seen riordan play but wants him out the door.

Think you'll be surprised how many times he's seen Deek in a Hibs shirt. Possibly more than you:wink:

.Sean.
24-04-2010, 10:19 AM

I think there is a 99.9999% chance that this post is pish.

hibee_nation
24-04-2010, 01:54 PM

I hear he is a bit of a nut job.

Dashing Bob S
24-04-2010, 01:59 PM
I hear he is a bit of a nut job.

That's easy to say but you have to balance that with the fact that Deeks might be pastachio his best.

Hibs On Tour
24-04-2010, 02:33 PM
Really? How naive.

Really? Try looking in a mirror bud.

You defend from the front if you are up front - that doesn't equate to tracking back into your own LB area. Defending from the front means strikers closing down their defenders when they have the ball.

As others have pointed out, DR is more than just 15 odd goals a season but the best form of defence is attack - score more goals than them. You know. Simple maths really.

1875godsgift
24-04-2010, 02:44 PM
That's easy to say but you have to balance that with the fact that Deeks might pastachio his best.
Aye, bring back the good old days of Ally Brazil.....

Dashing Bob S
24-04-2010, 03:28 PM
Aye, bring back the good old days of Ally Brazil.....

Can't blame Yogi and Rod for looking at him though. If you had the cashew'd be in the market for a proven targetman too.

judas
24-04-2010, 05:29 PM
Really? Try looking in a mirror bud.

You defend from the front if you are up front - that doesn't equate to tracking back into your own LB area. Defending from the front means strikers closing down their defenders when they have the ball.

As others have pointed out, DR is more than just 15 odd goals a season but the best form of defence is attack - score more goals than them. You know. Simple maths really.

I agree.

Riordan doesn't do that though.

judas
24-04-2010, 05:33 PM
Half of which??? You have stats for that? How naive.

OK OK I get it. I've taught you a new word and you want to use it all the time now.

He he.:wink:

Hibs On Tour
24-04-2010, 08:16 PM
I agree.

Riordan doesn't do that though.

Yawn. Posters like you make me laugh. Not content with one of the best talents to grace ER in the past 30 years, someone who not only scores lots of goals regularly but puts assists in too but YOUR LOT want him to chase around the pitch doing tackles [which he is pish at] and to take him out of the areas he is dangerous in to track back [which he does now]. Its that kind of thinking that makes him less of an asset to us.

That **** Yogi has more sense and keeps playing him. Imagine the mire we'd be in this season if we were playing some journeyman with an engine who would close down, track back and score **** all eh?

blackpoolhibs
24-04-2010, 08:33 PM
Yawn. Posters like you make me laugh. Not content with one of the best talents to grace ER in the past 30 years, someone who not only scores lots of goals regularly but puts assists in too but YOUR LOT want him to chase around the pitch doing tackles [which he is pish at] and to take him out of the areas he is dangerous in to track back [which he does now]. Its that kind of thinking that makes him less of an asset to us.

That **** Yogi has more sense and keeps playing him. Imagine the mire we'd be in this season if we were playing some journeyman with an engine who would close down, track back and score **** all eh?

:top marks:agree:

NaeTechnoHibby
24-04-2010, 08:35 PM
Jeezo, if we let go of him this time, in a least a year we will be wanting him back :agree:

I say keep Deeks and sell Stokes :agree:

Deeks can play with anyone, moreso since his left midfield role, so..........:thumbsup:

Judas Iscariot
24-04-2010, 08:43 PM

:top marks:agree:

judas
25-04-2010, 10:49 AM

He he he. I actually -mostly- agree with you. Sorry.

I do occasionally have small doubts about Riordan, but I was playing devils advocate.

It would be good to see improved body language from him though.

Hibs On Tour
25-04-2010, 04:38 PM
He he he. I actually -mostly- agree with you. Sorry.

I do occasionally have small doubts about Riordan, but I was playing devils advocate.

It would be good to see improved body language from him though.

:devil:

why I oughta!...

:faf:

blackpoolhibs
25-04-2010, 04:44 PM
Well played today Derek, :top marks maybe that was just for the camera's:devil: