PDA

View Full Version : Keane Celtic POTY

Cocaine&Caviar
20-04-2010, 11:15 AM
After only 15 games, 13 pretty average goals and nearly £3m in wages, Robbie Keane has won the player of the year award. Rediculous IMO, sure they have had a very poor season and theres not many players that have been there all season, but still...

Take away the goal tally, are the Celtic fans voting for his performances, or the name, birthplace, stupid tattoo and religion?

Danderhall Hibs
20-04-2010, 11:17 AM
After only 15 games, 13 pretty average goals and nearly £3m in wages, Robbie Keane has won the player of the year award. Rediculous IMO, sure they have had a very poor season and theres not many players that have been there all season, but still...

13 in 15s not a bad record though - especially after all the threads ridiculing him after not scoring in his 1st game.

Cocaine&Caviar
20-04-2010, 11:21 AM
Arent about 3 or 4 of those penalties though?

Danderhall Hibs
20-04-2010, 11:23 AM

Do they not count? :greengrin

Cocaine&Caviar
20-04-2010, 11:32 AM

For £65k a week, no :greengrin

Steve20
20-04-2010, 11:35 AM
What other Celtic player would deserve to get it? I think he probably has been their best player, even only playing 15 games.

Hank Schrader
20-04-2010, 11:37 AM

Take away the goal tally, are the Celtic fans voting for his performances, or the name, birthplace, stupid tattoo and religion?

Can you explain to me how the two he scored against Kilmarnock recently at Parkhead were average? I thought they were class.

JE89
20-04-2010, 11:38 AM

Why? That is laughable. Take away the goal tally and Ruud Van Nistelrooy is pish. Regardless of his price and name, he has easily been the best player in a very poor Celtic team.

Who would you have voted for?

Danderhall Hibs
20-04-2010, 11:43 AM

David Goodwillie is the obvious choice - he's scored less goals. :greengrin

Cocaine&Caviar
20-04-2010, 11:44 AM
Why? That is laughable. Take away the goal tally and Ruud Van Nistelrooy is pish. Regardless of his price and name, he has easily been the best player in a very poor Celtic team.

Can you explain to me how the two he scored against Kilmarnock recently at Parkhead were average? I thought they were class.

Hes shown glimpses of class yes, but the majority of his goals have either been tap ins, penalties or goals you'd expect any of their others strikers to score...

I was just saying take away goal tally to highlight his actual performances throughout games.

He's done well for someone coming into the league in January, but I just dont think he should be considered because of this. If i was a tim, i wouldve probably voted for Boruc, Brown, Hinkel, McGeady, Nguemo etc by default, as mentioned they have had a very poor season in terms of team success as well as individual performances...

Danderhall Hibs
20-04-2010, 11:45 AM
Hes shown glimpses of class yes, but the majority of his goals have either been tap ins, penalties or goals you'd expect any of their others strikers to score...

I was just saying take away goal tally to highlight his actual performances throughout games.

He's done well for someone coming into the league in January, but I just dont think he should be considered because of this. If i was a tim, i wouldve probably voted for Boruc, Brown, Hinkel, McGeady, Nguemo etc by default, as mentioned they have had a very poor season in terms of team success as well as individual performances...

So you'd vote on them because they were there at the start rather than because they had done well?

JE89
20-04-2010, 11:49 AM

I thought he was good against us on Saturday and he didn't score in that game.
As for the Tap ins - there is a reason why players like Keane, Rooney etc score more tap ins than most and it is down to work rate and knowledge.

A goalscorer is always going to be based on goals scored. Torres is often not seen for 85mins and manages to grab the headlines for one touch of the ball.

Cocaine&Caviar
20-04-2010, 11:50 AM
So you'd vote on them because they were there at the start rather than because they had done well?

Obviously it sounds silly, but some of those mentioned have done reasonably well; and one of the reasons intended for this thread was to highlight the situation Celtic find themselves in, as well as not agreeing with someone being at a club for two months getting a seasonal award.

Beefster
20-04-2010, 11:55 AM

That's wrong unless they're paying him about £150k a week.

Biggie
20-04-2010, 11:58 AM
Doesn't say much for the others at darkhead if he's getting it for half a season...but to be fair, he's a class act. His movement is non stop, always looking for space, and trying to get his shot off...if I was a defender I'd say he was a bloody menace...good luck to him....although I'm sure he'll be a wee bit embarrassed at getting it ahead of players who have been there all season.

Cocaine&Caviar
20-04-2010, 12:02 PM
That's wrong unless they're paying him about £150k a week.

They paid a hefty fee to get him on loan in the first place.

It was reported when he first signed that all the money they recieved for Scott McDonald's transfer to Middlesbrough (£3.5m) would pretty much be spent on getting Keane for half a season...

Beefster
20-04-2010, 12:13 PM
They paid a hefty fee to get him on loan in the first place.

It was reported when he first signed that all the money they recieved for Scott McDonald's transfer to Middlesbrough (£3.5m) would pretty much be spent on getting Keane for half a season...

Apologies, I wasn't aware of that. Spectacular waste of cash.

Jack
20-04-2010, 12:13 PM

2 against us, 1 against Dundee Utd that’s 9 against bottom 6 opposition, or Dunfermline in the cup. And 3 of the 12 were penalties.

By my reckoning Stokes has 5 of 11 over the same period against top 6 and only 2 penalties.

A wee bit but not as much as a real goal. :greengrin

Scouse Hibee
20-04-2010, 12:48 PM

:faf: Since when did the record books start to record quality of goals scored. It doesn't matter if he mis-hit or scuffed every one of them, 13 goals in 15 games is impressive enough. It makes me laugh when people say about a striker take away his goal tally, or when a keeper has played well they say if it wasn't for the keeper................! Strikers are there to score goals just as keepers are there to stop them.