PDA

View Full Version : The English Equivalent of Hibs

green.and.white
19-04-2010, 07:03 PM
I was thinking what English team most resembles Hibs. I think it's Spurs, they are usually challenging for Europe but just as you expect them to do well, they let you down. (ie. FA Cup vs Pompey)

Spurs have a class about them that resembles us and they always go out to play attractive football.

No doubt after wins against Arsenal and Chelsea, they will be Man Utd and then get beat by Stoke or someone low down the table, just as Hibs seem to do when we beat the Old Firm :greengrin

Hibercelona
19-04-2010, 07:05 PM
Arsenal...

2-0 up against a weaker club and looking comfortable....

then...

well you know the rest....

.Sean.
19-04-2010, 07:09 PM
Shades of Newcastle I think in that both teams have supporters who for some reason think the team are bigger than they actually are. Both could also be deemed huge under-achievers. Like Newcastle, we are also extremely inconsistent, you never know what you're getting from one season to the next.

Ritchie
19-04-2010, 07:11 PM
rushden & diamonds.... utter garbage! :devil:

green.and.white
19-04-2010, 07:16 PM
rushden & diamonds.... utter garbage! :devil:

There was always going to be someone :greengrin

HH81
19-04-2010, 07:18 PM
I think Huddersfield Town.

Nice tidy ground, fan base about the same.

Seem to be around league 1 play off places every year but never seem to get anywhere towards end of season.

houston1875
19-04-2010, 07:47 PM
West Ham-they're fans are fickle as f---

CallumLaidlaw
19-04-2010, 07:56 PM
Everton for me. Challenging for europe normally, then the occasional shocking season. City neighbours who think they're far better than they actually are. Bring through young players, who end up moving to a bigger club (Rooney, Jeffers, Lescott, Rodwell next)
Not able to match the big clubs for transfer fees & wages, but can offer better than most.
A decent, loyal fanbase, and very passionate about their club.

houston1875
19-04-2010, 08:04 PM
Everton for me. Challenging for europe normally, then the occasional shocking season. City neighbours who think they're far better than they actually are. Bring through young players, who end up moving to a bigger club (Rooney, Jeffers, Lescott, Rodwell next)
Not able to match the big clubs for transfer fees & wages, but can offer better than most.

Jeffers :faf::faf:

fox in the box

has rodwell moved yet?

soz bud im a Pool fan

Rory89
19-04-2010, 08:07 PM
I was thinking what English team most resembles Hibs. I think it's Spurs, they are usually challenging for Europe but just as you expect them to do well, they let you down. (ie. FA Cup vs Pompey)

Spurs have a class about them that resembles us and they always go out to play attractive football.

No doubt after wins against Arsenal and Chelsea, they will be Man Utd and then get beat by Stoke or someone low down the table, just as Hibs seem to do when we beat the Old Firm :greengrin

Spurs always flash money about and still have little success considering their spending, whether they have it are not. Spurs fans are famous for always getting ahead of themselves and making themselves out to be a much bigger club than they are, whilst claiming they have way more fans than they do. If they are like any Scottish club they're like Hearts.

If Hearts are Spurs, then we're West Ham. Good club from the east end of the capital with a reputation for bringing through top youngsters and (for some reason) playing exciting football. Both West Ham and Hibs supporters are passionate, but have had a reputation in the past for being a bit rough. West Ham and Hibs both could be much bigger clubs then they are but are consistent underachievers.

Long suffering
19-04-2010, 08:10 PM
Spurs always flash money about and still have little success considering their spending, whether they have it are not. Spurs fans are famous for always getting ahead of themselves and making themselves out to be a much bigger club than they are, whilst claiming they have way more fans than they do. If they are like any Scottish club they're like Hearts.

If Hearts are Spurs, then we're West Ham. Good club from the east end of the capital with a reputation for bringing through top youngsters and (for some reason) playing exciting football. Both West Ham and Hibs supporters are passionate, but have had a reputation in the past for being a bit rough. West Ham and Hibs both could be much bigger clubs then they are but are consistent underachievers.

all true but hibs are surely bigger in scotland than west ham are in England?

Love the Green
19-04-2010, 08:20 PM
Guys said it on here 2 weeks ago and it is deffo Man City

Was down there on saturdya for the derby and yet again they lose a last minute decider against their neighbours,...how often have we done that against the dogs also they have a very proud and loyal local fanbase and also live in the same city as a team who are supported by fannies...
"keep the faith":wink:

Long suffering
19-04-2010, 08:48 PM
Guys said it on here 2 weeks ago and it is deffo Man City

Was down there on saturdya for the derby and yet again they lose a last minute decider against their neighbours,...how often have we done that against the dogs also they have a very proud and loyal local fanbase and also live in the same city as a team who are supported by fannies...
"keep the faith":wink:

but instead of sheik mansour we have rod petrie :greengrin

Hibby Bairn
19-04-2010, 08:53 PM

Same person. Have you ever seen them in the same room together?

:agree:

houston1875
19-04-2010, 08:55 PM

rather have Petrie,the Sheik will leave that club in the lurch sooner or later..

they cant keep spending silly money,surely?

.Sean.
19-04-2010, 09:01 PM
rather have Petrie,the Sheik will leave that club in the lurch sooner or later..

I can't remember the exact figure, someone else on here might. The figure I heard they were making daily was jaw-dropping. An hours wages from them would see Average Joe set for life.

houston1875
19-04-2010, 09:07 PM
I can't remember the exact figure, someone else on here might. The figure I heard they were making daily was jaw-dropping. An hours wages from them would see Average Joe set for life.

I mean Craig Bellamy good player like,complete string vest!! but 90 large a week?? WTF?

How much does the paraffin lamp Tevez make,but a think he worth it tho? even tho i hear he completely cash orientated and refuses to learn english? plus he called gary neville a boot licker :faf:

PISTOL1875
19-04-2010, 09:07 PM

No chance.. They can keep spending silly money as long as they want...

Reports this weekend say that they are gonna offer Joe Cole £180,000 per week....

houston1875
19-04-2010, 09:09 PM
No chance.. They can keep spending silly money as long as they want...

Reports this weekend say that they are gonna offer Joe Cole £180,000 per week....

eh??? lol

PISTOL1875
19-04-2010, 09:12 PM
eh??? lol

Yep.. The wages are so big because he is a free agent in the summer so no transfer fee will be involved...

http://www.goal.com/en/news/9/england/2010/04/17/1882585/manchester-city-set-to-swoop-for-chelsea-midfielder-joe-cole (http://www.goal.com/en/news/9/england/2010/04/17/1882585/manchester-city-set-to-swoop-for-chelsea-midfielder-joe-cole)

houston1875
19-04-2010, 09:14 PM
Yep.. The wages are so big because he is a free agent in the summer so no transfer fee will be involved...

http://www.goal.com/en/news/9/england/2010/04/17/1882585/manchester-city-set-to-swoop-for-chelsea-midfielder-joe-cole (http://www.goal.com/en/news/9/england/2010/04/17/1882585/manchester-city-set-to-swoop-for-chelsea-midfielder-joe-cole)

aye valid point? but he must get a signing on fee surely as well? Was told by someone Kris Boyd is heading for 3 mill signing on fee fae birmingham,was agreed some time ago?

PISTOL1875
19-04-2010, 09:19 PM
aye valid point? but he must get a signing on fee surely as well? Was told by someone Kris Boyd is heading for 3 mill signing on fee fae birmingham,was agreed some time ago?

Probably get a good signing on fee as well.. Its all pocket money to the owners of City...

Just makes you think , what would happen if City were too finish 4th?? Potentially City could sign any player in the world..Transfer fees and wages wouldn't be a problem.. Whether or not they would join would be the problem..

Maybe a £300,000 signing on fee??.. He's no that good...:wink::wink::wink::wink:

houston1875
19-04-2010, 09:23 PM
Probably get a good signing on fee as well.. Its all pocket money to the owners of City...

Just makes you think , what would happen if City were too finish 4th?? Potentially City could sign any player in the world..Transfer fees and wages wouldn't be a problem.. Whether or not they would join would be the problem..

Maybe a £300,000 signing on fee??.. He's no that good...:wink::wink::wink::wink:

Pool to finish 4th bud...well hopefully if results go a certain way?

:tumble:

PISTOL1875
19-04-2010, 09:25 PM
Pool to finish 4th bud...well hopefully if results go a certain way?

:tumble:

I think Spurs will finish 4th now.. They have the momentum now and with us losing to Manure at the weekend there I feel its gone...

City needed to beat Birmingham which they did but we were looking for Spurs to drop points against Arsenal and Chelski but the stupid ****ers went on and beat them both... :grr::grr::grr::grr:

houston1875
19-04-2010, 09:32 PM
I think Spurs will finish 4th now.. They have the momentum now and with us losing to Manure at the weekend there I feel its gone...

City needed to beat Birmingham which they did but we were looking for Spurs to drop points against Arsenal and Chelski but the stupid ****ers went on and beat them both... :grr::grr::grr::grr:

ach well..ma teams are having trouble finishing fourth?

chuffing spurs

Sir David Gray
19-04-2010, 11:09 PM
Personally I would be delighted if Tottenham finished 4th ahead of Man City and Liverpool. :thumbsup:

I know it's pretty much an irrelevance in comparison with the real thing (i.e. the Premiership title) but any misfortune that befalls either club is fine by me. :greengrin

hibby67
20-04-2010, 02:58 AM
Q:The English Equivalent of Hibs
A: NO ONE THERE IS ONLY ONE HIBS......GGTH

CallumLaidlaw
20-04-2010, 06:36 AM
Jeffers :faf::faf:

fox in the box

has rodwell moved yet?

soz bud im a Pool fan

Yes, Jeffers. Arsenal paid £8m for him.

And no Rodwell hasn't, but Man U are keeping constant tabs on him, and I imagine any transfer fee would be in excess of £18m.

Not your fault mate :wink:

HUTCHYHIBBY
20-04-2010, 07:52 AM
West Ham-they're fans are fickle as f--- Care to elaborate? Without checking Im sure they are averaging 32-33K fans per home game, not too bad for a team 1 place above relegation.

Danny_Hibee
20-04-2010, 08:07 AM
West Ham-they're fans are fickle as f---

Without insulting our own fans I would say the West Ham support is quite a bit better than ours. Especially away from home there is very rarely a time when they arent getting behind the team and like HUTCHYHIBBY says crowds this season are averaging about 30k and they werent far off that when in the championship a few years back as well.

heretoday
20-04-2010, 08:16 AM
How about Wolves? Glory days in the fifties. Won a couple of league cups since then. Sod all else. Reputation for attacking football. One or two problems with hooligans.

NORTHERNHIBBY
20-04-2010, 09:28 AM
Darlington. Invested heavily in a superb stadium that they could not fill and are now suffering the consequences.

DH1875
20-04-2010, 06:55 PM
Without insulting our own fans I would say the West Ham support is quite a bit better than ours. Especially away from home there is very rarely a time when they arent getting behind the team and like HUTCHYHIBBY says crowds this season are averaging about 30k and they werent far off that when in the championship a few years back as well.

Can't say I agree with that. If we played in the EPL our crowds would be about 25k-30k easy. People would come to see the English teams and they would bring large support. Add to us having at least £30 million a season to attract better players etc...
This is why I laugh when the ugly sisters go on about joining the EPL. Not doubting they wouldn't do well but what gives them the right. You can't tell me we wouldn't become bigger or on a par with Birmingham, Fulham, Wolves, Stoke, Hull, Wigan, Bolton, Blackburn, Burnley, Portsmouth and yes even West Ham if we joined the EPL and got all the trimmings that go along with it.
West Ham might not have been far off from the championship a few years back but I've got news for you, they heading there this season and fast.
Remember when we were in the first division? ER was sold out nearly every week and we took thousands to away games.

HUTCHYHIBBY
20-04-2010, 08:13 PM
The point myself and Danny are questioning is the "West Ham fans are fickle as f---" one. They seem to have had quite consistent crowds whilst I've been going down to watch them, not sure what point you are trying to make. I'm thinking Hibs will never play in The EPL, so the comparison you have made between Hibs and half The EPL is hypothetical to say the least. Hibs would have the potential to be bigger than most of the NW clubs, but, not The Hammers methinks, mind you though, they may not exist soon if they go down!

seanraff07
20-04-2010, 08:24 PM
Aston Villa, always do well upto Winter but after that their form gradually begins to get worse and worse, like us.:greengrin

.Sean.
20-04-2010, 09:03 PM
Darlington. Invested heavily in a superb stadium that they could not fill and are now suffering the consequences.
Unreal stadium they have. A brand-spanking 20,000+ seater stadium and they've just been relegated to the Conference :bitchy:

since90plustwo
20-04-2010, 09:44 PM
One of the top managers, cant remember who compared us to arsenal, good football but too inconsistant, but you can see the similarities, win the odd trophy want to play the right way and both stingy buggers :faf:

Kaiser_Sauzee
20-04-2010, 10:09 PM

Spot on with Spurs.

houston1875
20-04-2010, 10:48 PM
Care to elaborate? Without checking Im sure they are averaging 32-33K fans per home game, not too bad for a team 1 place above relegation.

Care to elaborate...nah no really?

:coffee:

Dunbar Hibee
20-04-2010, 11:15 PM
West Ham! I'm a Hibee and a Hammer and the ups and downs of supportin these 2 is unbelievable :bitchy::greengrin:thumbsup:

NOLA
21-04-2010, 02:27 AM
Defo West Ham!

HUTCHYHIBBY
24-04-2010, 04:41 PM
Doesnae look likely The Hammers will be going down now. Come on you Irons!

judas
25-04-2010, 10:51 AM

God. No more thread like this please.

This must be the 20th time this year we have has a 'who are Hibs most like?' thread.

Who cares?

Sas_The_Hibby
25-04-2010, 11:23 AM

Aye - after all, what have Liverpool ever done?!........

Or am I missing extreme irony in this post? :confused:

IndieHibby
25-04-2010, 12:43 PM
God. No more thread like this please.

This must be the 20th time this year we have has a 'who are Hibs most like?' thread.

Who cares?

:Toys thrown out of pram smiley:

Francis_Begbie
25-04-2010, 03:23 PM
Shades of Newcastle I think in that both teams have supporters who for some reason think the team are bigger than they actually are. Both could also be deemed huge under-achievers. Like Newcastle, we are also extremely inconsistent, you never know what you're getting from one season to the next.

Complete, total and the purest form of pish. How many Newcastle fans do you know? The club remain the 20th biggest in Europe in value, in turnover, and the 15th best supported in Europe in terms of average attendance. All of this when the club is in a massive slumber.

If you were a Newcastle fan given the size of the business and fanbase which is conservatively the fifth biggest in England, would you view your team as a biggish club in terms of where it should be. Newcastle haven't won anything for too long to think they're a big club, but everything off the pitch points to the fact they should be one of the biggest, probably not just in this country too.

sesoim
25-04-2010, 05:45 PM
Complete, total and the purest form of pish. How many Newcastle fans do you know? The club remain the 20th biggest in Europe in value, in turnover, and the 15th best supported in Europe in terms of average attendance. All of this when the club is in a massive slumber.

If you were a Newcastle fan given the size of the business and fanbase which is conservatively the fifth biggest in England, would you view your team as a biggish club in terms of where it should be. Newcastle haven't won anything for too long to think they're a big club, but everything off the pitch points to the fact they should be one of the biggest, probably not just in this country too.

:agree: Newcastle SHOULD be near the top of the Premiership based on their support, they have massively underperformed because of a series of awful owners and managers over the years. Someone will get it right eventually.

As for a Hibs equvalent, I'd agree with the guy that said Wolves - similar history, distinctive name and strip, and we both peaked in the 50s. We're a bit like West Ham as well, but in equivical terms we are most like Spurs - not good enough to challenge for the title, usually challenging for Europe but often blowing it, and occasionally winning a Cup (but in their case the FA Cup).

scoopyboy
25-04-2010, 05:49 PM
Burnley, started well and been downhill for ages.

HibbyKeith
25-04-2010, 05:58 PM
The english equivalent of Hearts? ...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/8632297.stm :tee hee: