PDA

View Full Version : Smith leaves SFA

Granton Stanton
19-04-2010, 04:29 PM
Gordon Smith has resigned from SFA citing personal reasons.

Tabloid expose coming up perhaps?

Malthibby
19-04-2010, 04:32 PM
Walter threatened to kick him out of the Lodge for SFA match-fixing?

Barney McGrew
19-04-2010, 04:34 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/8630722.stm

PC Stamp
19-04-2010, 04:35 PM
Probably the usual story. Offered the job and given a free reign to sort out all the ills of the game .... until he sits down in his office and gets reeled back by the grey men on everything he tries to change. Wasn't ever his biggest fan but at least he was a football man.

marinello59
19-04-2010, 04:37 PM
Probably the usual story. Offered the job and given a free reign to sort out all the ills of the game .... until he sits down in his office and gets reeled back by the grey men on everything he tries to change. Wasn't ever his biggest fan but at least he was a football man.

Probably
Although he was also getting pelters over his handling of the Robbie Winters diving episode.

Golden Bear
19-04-2010, 04:40 PM
He'll be no miss. An incompetent buffoon if ever there was - and that's me being kind.

thekaratekid
19-04-2010, 04:41 PM
Good riddance IMO

The sad reality of it will probably see another muppet installed though.

iwasthere1972
19-04-2010, 04:45 PM
Only one man for the job............Pat Nevin. :agree:

cabbageandribs1875
19-04-2010, 04:46 PM
picked this up from another forum

LIVINGSTON chairman Gordon McDougall has written to SFA president George Peat demanding an investigation into the conduct of chief executive Gordon Smith.

McDougall is unhappy with Smith's alleged involvement in disciplinary proceedings against the club's striker Robbie Winters over allegations of diving.

Winters was this week cleared of the offence by the SFA after video evidence of Livi's third division win at East Stirling on February 20 was viewed at Hampden.

But McDougall has hit out at with the way the process was handled.

Smith, who has campaigned against the scourge of diving in football, attended February's game, which saw Michael Bolochoweckyj receive a second booking for a foul on Winters.

McDougall claims the SFA chief asked for a DVD of the match from home manager Jim McInally.
The Livi chairman says the SFA have since informed him Shire owner Spencer Fearn made a complaint against Winters three days after the game.

McDougall said: "I find it quite astonishing this information was kept from myself, Robbie and the disciplinary committee.
"It's either gross incompetence or an attempt to mislead folk.
"Either way, I feel Gordon Smith has overstepped his authority and that is why I'll be writing to George Peat.

givescotlandfreedom
19-04-2010, 04:52 PM
His replacement's already been found
http://carlosanastacio.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/pinocchioDisney1.jpg

Broken Gnome
19-04-2010, 04:52 PM
He might have been a football man, but he stumbled and embarrassed his way through every major issue he faced. The 'I didn't have Mark McGhee's phone number' one was a personal favourite. Not that you'd want Mark McGhee's phone number, but nevermind.

Don Giovanni
19-04-2010, 04:57 PM
Didnt see that coming. He seemed to create much discussion but little action on moving our game forward. Laterly though, I thought he began simply towing the party line, maintaining the status quo and generally ensuring the SFA gravy train rumbles along without disturbing stagnant Scottish football too much. Maybe hes become frustrated?

Pity in a way as at least he brought some ideas to the table on how Scottish football might improve. Whilst the other stewards of our game seem content with the demise in our footballing stature (For all that, Id seriously struggle to name one success/legacy GS leaves behind). Im sure he'll be able to content himself with another cushy job back at the Beeb - where his contribution will once again consist of little beyond spouting personal opinion.
Ah well, now for the next OldFirm-apologist, no-mark. Onwards and upwards, eh?

bingo70
19-04-2010, 05:08 PM
If we're going to go down the route of getting a football man in i'd love to see John Collins come in and overhaul the game from top to bottom.

Don't think there's any chance of it happening though.

Westie1875
19-04-2010, 05:11 PM
If we're going to go down the route of getting a football man in i'd love to see John Collins come in and overhaul the game from top to bottom.

I was just thinking exactly the same thing, in my mind they need two people, one with a football background and another for the business side of things.

They better stay away from Petrie. :greengrin

Aldo
19-04-2010, 05:16 PM
Power crazy. Stuck his nose in where it should never of been. Ref did his job.

The guy was a horses anyway and didnt like his attitude.

cabbageandribs1875
19-04-2010, 05:18 PM
i never liked his toupee

YehButNoBut
19-04-2010, 05:39 PM
Gordon Smith has left his post as chief executive of the Scottish Football Association for personal reasons. :bye:

Not sure what the personal reasons are.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/8630722.stm (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/8630722.stm)

YehButNoBut
19-04-2010, 05:40 PM
Ooops did not see other thread, please merge.

Sergey
19-04-2010, 05:56 PM
The farce that was the Scottish Cup semi-final draw, so obviously fixed, yet both of the OF failed to make it to the final might not have done him too many favours.

GlesgaeHibby
19-04-2010, 05:58 PM

:agree::top marks

whiskyhibby
19-04-2010, 06:03 PM
He'll be no miss. An incompetent buffoon if ever there was - and that's me being kind.

:bye::bye::bye::bye::bye::bye::bye:

The Baldmans Comb
19-04-2010, 06:18 PM
Boozegate, the Robbie Winters affair, not having McGee's phone number and his hijacking of the 1st Burley press conference were all indicative of a man completley out of his depth as were his comments that poor old Rangers were being picked upon:boo hoo::boo hoo:

I suspect the tabloids have something on him though but he really is no sad loss.:bye:

green.and.white
19-04-2010, 06:58 PM
Thank God, he was a total balloon

God Petrie
19-04-2010, 07:02 PM
Good riddance.

Get someone competent in.

Pedantic_Hibee
19-04-2010, 07:18 PM
His crackdown on sectarian singing went down a storm......"we've got the power to dock points and impose fines".

Aye, sure, right enough ya moon-faced fud.

Lofarl
19-04-2010, 07:21 PM
Goodbye to the clown. The whole boozegate affair really summed up what a trumpet he was. Csaba Lazlo for the job, why not. He'll tell you he's been linked with it. Or was it Robbie Keane boyhood dream to be the Executive.

No doubt some old firm connected clown will get the job.

jdships
19-04-2010, 07:37 PM

May have been a "football man" but one ex player I spoke to at the time of his appointment put this to me .
" Smith was an ex professional footballer turned players agent who , as you would expect, strongly fought his clients corner with club managers and chairmen.
With that he often came into conflict with these parties.
He then became "Poacher turned Gamekeeper " and will expect these same officials to stand alongside him.
Can't see him making a go of this job."

I cannot remember many managers and chairmen openly endorsing his policies .
Will not be missed IMO.
:bye:

Bishop Hibee
19-04-2010, 07:41 PM
Bluenose buffoon who I´ve hated since he touted Kenny Miller to the huns while he was his agent.

Good riddance.

Removed
19-04-2010, 08:02 PM
Bluenose buffoon who I´ve hated since he touted Kenny Miller to the huns while he was his agent.

Good riddance.

I didn't like him way before then, but surely that's what agents are meant to do - it's their job :rolleyes:

Bayern Bru
19-04-2010, 08:12 PM
:partyhibb:partyhibb:partyhibb:partyhibb

J-C
19-04-2010, 08:58 PM
The SFA need to get someone without an old firm connection, this has always been a stunbling block. One of his major mistakes was after talk about lower division clubs not being allowed to represent if they were runners up, he then forgot to register this with Uefa and the Gretna embarrassment can go ahead again.

For me I'd go for Craig Brown, a good football man and no ties to either of the ugly sisters.

Bayern Bru
19-04-2010, 09:03 PM
The SFA need to get someone without an old firm connection, this has always been a stunbling block. One of his major mistakes was after talk about lower division clubs not being allowed to represent if they were runners up, he then forgot to register this with Eufa and the Gretna embarrassment can go ahead again.

For me I'd go for Craig Brown, a good football man and no ties to either of the ugly sisters.

Aye. Can't think of anyone else really. Collins was mentioned but I suppose his ties with Celtc put him out of your equation?

How about employing an outsider? Someone like Berti Vogts? Or would his "Hun" connections rule him out?
:greengrin

I'll get ma coat etc...

heretoday
19-04-2010, 09:06 PM
[QUOTE=HoboCop;2433645]His crackdown on sectarian singing went down a storm......"we've got the power to dock points and impose fines".

Yes that didn't come to much did it? The sectarian singing is just the same as ever. I don't know just what he did all day at work. Come to think of it what does Craig Levein do all day?
Check what games are on that night so he can spot up-and-coming Scots talent?

Aye right.

givescotlandfreedom
19-04-2010, 09:55 PM
I didn't like him way before then, but surely that's what agents are meant to do - it's their job :rolleyes:

He did it whilst a pundit on the BBC. Conflict of interest there.

Jonnyboy
19-04-2010, 10:06 PM
Is it true that upon hearing this news the makers of 'Just for Men' immediately cancelled their sponsorship deal?

Toaods
19-04-2010, 10:34 PM
EDIT: 'I heard' about 4 months ago, he was getting booted anyway.

Peat and co appointed Levein, not Smith...:wink:

Hainan Hibs
19-04-2010, 10:36 PM
Good news. Hopefully he doesn't go back to speaking pish on the BBC.

KerPlunk
19-04-2010, 10:45 PM
Good news. Hopefully he doesn't go back to speaking pish on the BBC.

Well, they took yon fud Charlie Mann back when Vlad had finished giving him a rectal prolapse on a regular basis, so expect BBC Glasgow to do the same with GordHun Smith.

P.S. What's the liklihood of Onkel Walter jacking in the Huns and taking over at the SFA ? :devil:

ballengeich
19-04-2010, 11:42 PM
One of his major mistakes was after talk about lower division clubs not being allowed to represent if they were runners up, he then forgot to register this with Eufa and the Gretna embarrassment can go ahead again.

Wrong. The SFA contacted UEFA about this and were, correctly IMO, told to obey the same rules as every other country.

jae
20-04-2010, 01:26 AM
Aye. Can't think of anyone else really. Collins was mentioned but I suppose his ties with Celtc put him out of your equation?

How about employing an outsider? Someone like Berti Vogts? Or would his "Hun" connections rule him out?
:greengrin

I'll get ma coat etc...

Campbell Ogilvie :dunno:

Has old firm connections tho.

hibbymac
20-04-2010, 07:39 AM
The SFA need to get someone without an old firm connection, this has always been a stunbling block. One of his major mistakes was after talk about lower division clubs not being allowed to represent if they were runners up, he then forgot to register this with Eufa and the Gretna embarrassment can go ahead again.

Only one man for the job ..................... Mr. Romanov. :Romanov:

JackRegan
20-04-2010, 07:57 AM
Great news and predicted by E-Tims some weeks ago. :agree:

I will try and dig out the original job specification that was issued just prior to Smith's appointment, which lists the key selection criteria required - Smith never ticked a single box.

* He made a mess of the international fixtures
* Incosistent use and of the video review panel which only seemed to benefit one club.
* Trying to move the Cup Final behind the back of Queen of the South to suit the huns title bid.
* Banning Ross County, The Pars and Dundee from youth football because tehir coaches never had disclosure checks undertaken, only to reverse it when he found out the huns coaches never had it either.
* His comment "I viewed Catholic schools as the enemy when I played against them"
* Not punishing Rangers when the SFA delegated twice dug Rangers up for singing the racist Famine song
* His numerous foot in mouth moments
* Handling of Boozegate and players walking out on Scotland.
* Not chasing Rangers for compensation for Walter Smith - rumour has it this has still not been paid.

Good riddance and he's to Peat, Dallas and McVicar all following him out the door. :agree::agree:

BTW This is the tip of the Ice-berg and is not really personal reasons. :agree:

heretoday
20-04-2010, 08:20 AM
Gordon Smith has resigned from SFA citing personal reasons.

Tabloid expose coming up perhaps?

You don't mean to tell me some wee thing in accounts has taken a shine to the hair weave?

Seduced also by tales of great Wembley sitters missed.....

Twa Cairpets
20-04-2010, 09:49 AM
Thats the problem - he was entrenched in the system.

The last thing that is needed is someone who is "a football man" - sure, someone who has an interest in the sport, but not an ex player. What do they have in their past experience about organising and running what is essentially a political/PR body? Erm. none.

If people genuinely want a root and branch review of the whole Association - the next appointee is utterly critical, and it needs to be someone with the baws to take what will be tough decisions against vested interests. The alternative is another familiar place man which will make everyone feel they can have a pop and ultimately blame for the ills of the world.

As a business model, something has changed in football this year. Whether its the recession, the quality, not qualifying for the World Cup (again) or something else, I dont know. But there is something very wrong. We rightly laugh at the Celtic fans disappearing, but it is symptomatic of every team, and very worrying.

As fans go awol, the next generation of fans dont come through. When people start missing games, it becomes easier to miss the next games because actually, doing something else is often more fun. I've had an ST for years, and because of telly times, I've missed/will miss Celtic and Rangers as Ive been to my sons U19 games. I've probably missed half a dozen games this season, and next season getting a seat will be easy due to the new stand, so why buy a ST if i know i wont get to a quarter of games. Equally, if I dont have one, will I really haul my backside through to Edinburgh for a midweek fixture in January v Hamilton.

The SFA have a major role in addressing this apathy by treating the sport as the fans game first. Give the ko times some respect. Dont make stupid decisions like the Ross County semi that totally disrespect the punters - all you are doing is selling your soul.

There is no other business in the world that could succeed without putting their customers first, and a totally fresh, external pair of eyes with the kahoonas to make the changes needed is critical if football at the professional level is to have a future.

Steve-O
20-04-2010, 10:00 AM
What a legacy Smith has left. He really did shake Scottish football to its very core with his radical thinking...:rolleyes:

:bye:

Removed
20-04-2010, 10:14 AM
The SFA have a major role in addressing this apathy by treating the sport as the fans game first. Give the ko times some respect. Dont make stupid decisions like the Ross County semi that totally disrespect the punters - all you are doing is selling your soul.

There is no other business in the world that could succeed without putting their customers first, and a totally fresh, external pair of eyes with the kahoonas to make the changes needed is critical if football at the professional level is to have a future.

:agree:

Problem is that paying customers like us who put bums on seats are at the back of the queue. All Sky/ESPN care about is getting subscribers and the SFA/SPL want the most tv money so they give real fans no thought when agreeing tv rights and schedules :bitchy:

Mickey Edwards
20-04-2010, 10:27 AM

I will try and dig out the original job specification that was issued just prior to Smith's appointment, which lists the key selection criteria required - Smith never ticked a single box.

* Incosistent use and of the video review panel which only seemed to benefit one club.
* Trying to move the Cup Final behind the back of Queen of the South to suit the huns title bid.
* Banning Ross County, The Pars and Dundee from youth football because tehir coaches never had disclosure checks undertaken, only to reverse it when he found out the huns coaches never had it either.
* His comment "I viewed Catholic schools as the enemy when I played against them"
* Not punishing Rangers when the SFA delegated twice dug Rangers up for singing the racist Famine song
* Not chasing Rangers for compensation for Walter Smith - rumour has it this has still not been paid.

Good riddance and he's to Peat, Dallas and McVicar all following him out the door. :agree::agree:

gie's peace

brog
20-04-2010, 10:52 AM
The SFA need to get someone without an old firm connection, this has always been a stunbling block. One of his major mistakes was after talk about lower division clubs not being allowed to represent if they were runners up, he then forgot to register this with Uefa and the Gretna embarrassment can go ahead again.

Other than having played for Rangers!! :wink:

Bad Martini
20-04-2010, 11:23 AM
One less hun to worry aboot and one less old firm loving sympathiser in charge.

Adios Gordon..the biggest defamation is, he shares a name with the greatest football player Scotland ever produced.

Dinny let the door skelp ye in the erse on the way oot Gogs. :bye::bye::bye::bye:

YehButNoBut
20-04-2010, 12:26 PM
Campbell Ogilvie :dunno:

Has old firm connections tho.

He is in contention seemingly, can imagine he would be delighted to get away from Vlad.

http://sport.scotsman.com/football/-Hearts-chief-Ogilvie-is.6238808.jp (http://sport.scotsman.com/football/-Hearts-chief-Ogilvie-is.6238808.jp)

Seanair
20-04-2010, 02:23 PM
[/B]

Other than having played for Rangers!! :wink:

Just as a youngster I think, and then he went to Dundee ?

Jim44
20-04-2010, 02:38 PM

:rolleyes: And I expect you'ld like to 'hoopfully' redress the balance with someone of a 'greener' persuasion . :greengrin

JackRegan
20-04-2010, 03:19 PM
:rolleyes: And I expect you'ld like to 'hoopfully' redress the balance with someone of a 'greener' persuasion . :greengrin

No Jim, I would give it to someone from outside Scotland who can look at the state of the game with a fresh pair of eyes.

If it was someone with a Celtic connection then I'd go for Eric Riley who was Fergus McCann's righthand man and a key figure in the transformation of Celtic.

I'd headhunt someone with a track record of turning round nations who used to be crap at football, or ones who knwo how to bring through their own players - I'd also then employ Max Clifford types to fend off the guttersnipes who masquerade as football media in Scotland.

New Corrie
20-04-2010, 05:52 PM
No Jim, I would give it to someone from outside Scotland who can look at the state of the game with a fresh pair of eyes.

If it was someone with a Celtic connection then I'd go for Eric Riley who was Fergus McCann's righthand man and a key figure in the transformation of Celtic.

I'd headhunt someone with a track record of turning round nations who used to be crap at football, or ones who knwo how to bring through their own players - I'd also then employ Max Clifford types to fend off the guttersnipes who masquerade as football media in Scotland.

Like someone from Ireland perhaps?

PaulSmith
20-04-2010, 06:03 PM
I'd imagine our own Rod Petrie will be in the frame?

DarlingtonHibee
20-04-2010, 06:07 PM

I think you are right, hence why Scott Lindsay appears to be taking over the majority of Rod's previous role....

Would be a big loss to the club.:boo hoo:

Toaods
20-04-2010, 06:07 PM

nice time to exit, with the East due to be completed.:agree:

Hibby Bairn
20-04-2010, 06:16 PM
How do you change a membership organisation without the support of the members and their vested interests?

Someone told me that Spartans didn't get the required votes to join the SFL because other clubs said they would make the competition for them harder and push them down the ladder.

Says it all really.

greenlex
20-04-2010, 06:17 PM
Stick on. Are there prices available?

greenginger
20-04-2010, 06:26 PM

I think his 10% share holding in Hibs parent company might be a barrier to him getting the job.

Toaods
20-04-2010, 06:26 PM
I think his 10% share holding in Hibs parent company might be a barrier to him getting the job.

unless STF buys him out...:wink:

Toaods
20-04-2010, 06:28 PM
EDIT: 'I heard' about 4 months ago, he was getting booted anyway.

Peat and co appointed Levein, not Smith...:wink:

ahhhh. all is slowly being revealed...:cool2: