PDA

View Full Version : What's our worst ever run of defeats?

Alex B
17-04-2010, 04:35 PM
I think there's a good chance we could end this season with eight straight defeats. We're halfway there after today. Anyone know if that would be a record? The only time I can think we might have had such a run in living memory would have been the relegation season under Duffy.

basehibby
17-04-2010, 04:45 PM
I think there's a good chance we could end this season with eight straight defeats. We're halfway there after today. Anyone know if that would be a record? The only time I can think we might have had such a run in living memory would have been the relegation season under Duffy.

That would be a disaster but I don't see it happening. Motherwell and Hearts represent two very good opportunities to pick up points and I think we'll do it.

seanraff07
17-04-2010, 11:15 PM
We will pick up a point away to Dundee.Utd.:agree:

Mag7
17-04-2010, 11:23 PM

We lost seven in a row in the league that season. Duffy should have gone after that but we stuck with him for another couple of months which effectively sealed relegation as McLeish just didn't have enough games left by the time he was appointed.

Keith_M
18-04-2010, 11:04 AM
My prediction for the last five games remains the same, 1 point against Motherwell.

Cropley10
18-04-2010, 12:48 PM

All the more reason to stick with Yogi for at least the next 3 years then surely?

nickwhibs
18-04-2010, 01:22 PM
We'll beat hearts at home! :jamboak:

Dunbar Hibee
18-04-2010, 01:54 PM
2 points at Tannadice and Fir Park id say.

iwasthere1972
18-04-2010, 02:00 PM
4 points. Beat the Yams and draw with Motherwell. Or draw with Yams and beat Motherwell.

soupy
18-04-2010, 02:59 PM
id settle for 3 points, hopefully coming from the hearts game!!!!

Mag7
18-04-2010, 04:44 PM
The way things are going with the teams supposedly 'battling' for fourth, we could conceivably achieve European qualification by taking just a single point from our last eight games. A sorry indictment of the dismal standards of the SPL.

HibbyAndy
18-04-2010, 04:47 PM
The way things are going with the teams supposedly 'battling' for fourth, we could conceivably achieve European qualification by taking just a single point from our last eight games. A sorry indictment of the dismal standards of the SPL.

Correct.

And not unlikely.

Viva_Palmeiras
18-04-2010, 06:09 PM
No the support will carry the team through playing the 12th man saving the witch hunt for close season :scarf::fibber:

Mag7
21-04-2010, 09:04 PM
I'd done my best to forget season 1979/80 but came across a programme from that season during a clear-out last weekend and it appears we only won one of our first 16 games. I was actually at that solitary win, a 5-2 triumph over Dundee during which Ralph Callachan scored a great solo goal. False dawn though as we only picked up 18 points in the entire season (two points for a win back then). The arrival of George Best, while out of Eddie Turnbull's hands, did at least provide a diversion from the almost unrelenting series of defeats on the pitch.

Purple & Green
22-04-2010, 06:51 AM
This is the worst run of defeats since Mixu took Hibs to 5 consecutive competitive defeats across the end of 07-08 and the start of 08-09.

Jim Duffy topped this in 97/98 with a run of 7 consecutive defeats starting with 'that Rangers game'

The record, however, is 9 consecutive losses which was equalled at the start of 1960/61 under Hugh Shaw. Dan McMichael's depleted team of 1917 had originally set the record.

IWasThere2016
22-04-2010, 07:30 AM

Hadn't thought of it like that - but have to agree.

Alex B
26-04-2010, 03:53 PM
Is it possible for this thread to be merged with the 'worst run since' one? ta :wink: