PDA

View Full Version : Clear out in the closed season

mikethehibee69
17-04-2010, 03:11 PM
Ok, tell me who do we clear out then and who do we bring in, where do we get the players from and with what, we dont have a treasure chest of money available, do we go with youth? or do we go for experienced players but who are either prone to injury(cheap) or surplus to requirement at their club(also cheap but risky) and if not Yogi then WHO, I personally would like to give Yogi longer, because lets face facts, when he took over as manager even Harry Potter could not have conjured up a team from the dross that was available. Yes Yogi brought Stokes which he has proven to be our top goalscorer, he also brought Millar great player but only when he wants to, we need every player to play for the Jersey and not their wage, as if they did Lothian Road would be a lot safer:wink::faf:

JennaFletcher
17-04-2010, 03:17 PM
Keep Bamba (if possible), Hanlon, Wotherspoon, Riordan, Stokes, Miller, Zemmama, Murray, Galbraith (potential).

The rest, as far as am concerned would not be a great loss. We'd be a better team without Rankin, Stevenson, Nish, Benji and anyone else who isn't that great. They've been given chances time and time again to prove they have ability as well as desire to win. If the players don't show they have both these attributes then they aren't good enough to play for Hibs in my opinion.
:agree:

JennaFletcher
17-04-2010, 03:18 PM
Yogi to remain manager as well.

mikethehibee69
17-04-2010, 03:21 PM
Keep Bamba (if possible), Hanlon, Wotherspoon, Riordan, Stokes, Miller, Zemmama, Murray, Galbraith (potential).

The rest, as far as am concerned would not be a great loss. We'd be a better team without Rankin, Stevenson, Nish, Benji and anyone else who isn't that great. They've been given chances time and time again to prove they have ability as well as desire to win. If the players don't show they have both these attributes then they aren't good enough to play for Hibs in my opinion.
:agree: ok I agree on them all apart from Benji, I personally think Yogi should play him for the rest of the season alongside Stokes or Deek, as he can score goals but is not an impact player, u keeping Maka? lol. :greengrin

mikethehibee69
17-04-2010, 03:23 PM
And who do we replace them with then? Just wish Rankin had the same amount of skill as he does passion, as he would be world class, however if he did he would not be a Hibs player:devil:

Capt Mainwaring
17-04-2010, 03:25 PM
Get rid of

McCormack
Stevenson
Thicot
Benji
Makalamby
Hogg

Yogi to stay but needss to make a brave decision on Riordan. Either play him up front as our "luxury" or sell him.

mikethehibee69
17-04-2010, 03:27 PM
:top marksagree and also Yogi needs to be firmer as he seems way to friendly to the players and that dont work, managers are there to do a job not make friends:greengrin
Get rid of

McCormack
Stevenson
Thicot
Benji
Makalamby
Hogg

Yogi to stay but needss to make a brave decision on Riordan. Either play him up front as our "luxury" or sell him.

erskine-hibby
17-04-2010, 03:28 PM
Yogi to remain manager as well.

Why?
He has been allowed to amass a far better squad than most previous managers that we have had, yet he can't seem to get anything out of them.
I would rather we got a new man at the helm that can actually get the players to work rather than just wiping their asses and has a more tactical awareness.
I feel that, even after a clear out and some are sure to go, we will be in the same boat come this time next season if he is still in charge.
Now I could be well wrong, but nothing I have seen from Yogi tells me that I will be.

JennaFletcher
17-04-2010, 03:28 PM
ok I agree on them all apart from Benji, I personally think Yogi should play him for the rest of the season alongside Stokes or Deek, as he can score goals but is not an impact player, u keeping Maka? lol. :greengrin

Really not overly impressed with the keepers really, nothing particularly outstanding about them. Would like to see Brown given a chance. I don't think Maka has potential, he has major butterfingers. A goalkeeper needs to be reliable, I don't think Maka is reliable. He can make a good save then two minutes later let the ball slip or make a howler. I don't think Hibs can justify keeping him just because he makes a few good saves, it's costly mistakes which have happened time and time again with him.

Benji has the ability but he doesn't seem to have the desire to play for Hibs - as witnessed last year when he was desperate on cementing a move away but came back after this fell through and Yogi came calling. I'll always appreciate Benji for his part in the CIS Cup Final 2007 - but does that really mean he deserves to stay?

JennaFletcher
17-04-2010, 03:31 PM
Why?
He has been allowed to amass a far better squad than most previous managers that we have had, yet he can't seem to get anything out of them.
I would rather we got a new man at the helm that can actually get the players to work rather than just wiping their asses and has a more tactical awareness.
I feel that, even after a clear out and some are sure to go, we will be in the same boat come this time next season if he is still in charge.
Now I could be well wrong, but nothing I have seen from Yogi tells me that I will be.

He's had a bad run of results lately and it's not acceptable. But he deserves until next season at least to get things right - he's still sorting the squad out his way. It worked at the start of the season and we did well, but other teams sussed us out and we've been on a poor run. He deserves more time to sort it out. We're not exactly Aberdeen right now are we?

JennaFletcher
17-04-2010, 03:33 PM
Get rid of

McCormack
Stevenson
Thicot
Benji
Makalamby
Hogg

:top marks

Riordan needs to stay, when he gets the ball in a good position he can score some amazing goals. With a better midfield and a strong right and left back, Riordan would thrive. It would be a great loss to Hibs if Riordan was sold.

Diclonius
17-04-2010, 03:34 PM
Out
Hogg
Nish
Rankin
Thicot
Stevenson
McCormack
Gow
Ma-Kalambay

In
A big, physical striker who can help us win ugly when needed
A right back (or two)
At least two other defenders
A tall ball winning midfielder (or two)
At least two wingers

Integral to next season
Murray
Riordan (if played correctly)
McBride
Stokes
Hanlon
Wotherspoon
Bamba (if not sold)
Miller

Sorted.

erskine-hibby
17-04-2010, 03:35 PM
He's had a bad run of results lately and it's not acceptable. But he deserves until next season at least to get things right - he's still sorting the squad out his way. It worked at the start of the season and we did well, but other teams sussed us out and we've been on a poor run. He deserves more time to sort it out. We're not exactly Aberdeen right now are we?

This is where we will agree to disagree then.

Capt Mainwaring
17-04-2010, 03:36 PM
Why?

Because we can't just keep changing the manager every season just cause the form has nose dived - a bit of continuity required. Also I believe Yogi deserves a chance in the summer to clear out and bring in players that bring the required "attitude" that he's looking for.

I could be wrong as well but i think Yogi deserves more than one season to turn around the shambles that Mixu left.

I'm not the in "in Yogi we trust" camp - his honeymoon is well and truely over as far as I'm concerned but i think we owe him a chance to continue on the re-generation work for another transfer window.

JennaFletcher
17-04-2010, 03:38 PM
Because we can't just keep changing the manager every season just cause the form has nose dived - a bit of continuity required. Also I believe Yogi deserves a chance in the summer to clear out and bring in players that bring the required "attitude" that he's looking for.

I could be wrong as well but i think Yogi deserves more than one season to turn around the shambles that Mixu left.

I'm not the in "in Yogi we trust" camp - his honeymoon is well and truely over as far as I'm concerned but i think we owe him a chance to continue on the re-generation work for another transfer window.

I agree completely.

JennaFletcher
17-04-2010, 03:39 PM
Out
Hogg
Nish
Rankin
Thicot
Stevenson
McCormack
Gow
Ma-Kalambay

In
A right back (or two)
At least two wingers

Integral to next season
Murray
McBride
Stokes
Hanlon
Wotherspoon
Bamba (if not sold)
Miller

Sorted.

Agree with a lot of this. We're not needing a lot then are we :faf: Hopefully we'll get this though!

mikethehibee69
17-04-2010, 03:40 PM
Out
Hogg
Nish
Rankin
Thicot
Stevenson
McCormack
Gow
Ma-Kalambay

In
A right back (or two)
At least two wingers

Integral to next season
Murray
McBride
Stokes
Hanlon
Wotherspoon
Bamba (if not sold)
Miller

Sorted.
yes but I know what we need but WHO:grr:

erskine-hibby
17-04-2010, 03:44 PM

What do we owe him and why?

If we had, say, won the league cup but were in the same position now, then, I would probably agree with you, but he has done nothing so far IMHO for us to "owe" him anything.

I do agree that we shouldn't keep changing managers every season, but IMHO we appointed the wrong guy in the first place and giving him more time will be more detrimental next season.

Ritchie
17-04-2010, 03:46 PM
next season will be even worse than this season if yogi is still in charge.

He isn't tactically good enough

anybody who thinks different is deluded.

I'll bookmark this thread and give you a big told you so this time next year.

Capt Mainwaring
17-04-2010, 03:52 PM
What do we owe him and why?

If we had, say, won the league cup but were in the same position now, then, I would probably agree with you, but he has done nothing so far IMHO for us to "owe" him anything.

I do agree that we shouldn't keep changing managers every season, but IMHO we appointed the wrong guy in the first place and giving him more time will be more detrimental next season.

We don't owe him anything and my view is not based on him as an individual. It's based on doing the right thing for the club.

You talk about winning the League cup as if that a minimal expectation for the club for any given season. The fact is that we've won 3 league cups in 30 odd years. Last season we didn't even make the top 6.

What Yogi has done is put a better team on the park and a better balanced squad than the shambles he inherited. I totaly accept current form is really bad and he and particularly the players deserve pelters for this.

I think however that we would do well to allow him a further transfer window when players move out of contract to contunie to re-mould the squad.

If no obvious improvement by Christmas then fair enough - sack him.

JennaFletcher
17-04-2010, 03:54 PM
next season will be even worse than this season if yogi is still in charge.

He isn't tactically good enough

anybody who thinks different is deluded.

I'll bookmark this thread and give you a big told you so this time next year.

You really going to dote on this thread for a year so you can just have a wee 'told you so' moment? :dummytit:

What matters is here and now and Yogi deserves a chance to change things around in summer.

JennaFletcher
17-04-2010, 03:55 PM
We don't owe him anything and my view is not based on him as an individual. It's based on doing the right thing for the club.

You talk about winning the League cup as if that a minimal expectation for the club for any given season. The fact is that we've won 3 league cups in 30 odd years. Last season we didn't even make the top 6.

What Yogi has done is put a better team on the park and a better balanced squad than the shambles he inherited. I totaly accept current form is really bad and he and particularly the players deserve pelters for this.

I think however that we would do well to allow him a further transfer window when players move out of contract to contunie to re-mould the squad.

:top marks

A hibby with a similar view to me, this surely can't be happening? :greengrin

erskine-hibby
17-04-2010, 04:07 PM

No not at all, I was just trying to say that if we had won the cup then maybe we would owe him something. I just didn't see/don't see any reason to owe him anything.
As far as giving him till Christmas is concerned, it would be too late, if things don't change, to get rid of him, the damage will have been done. Better to cut our losses now. It's cr@ppy, I don't want to change managers so often, but I just don't see Yogi as the man to take us forward from what I have seen so far.

Ritchie
17-04-2010, 04:16 PM
You really going to dote on this thread for a year so you can just have a wee 'told you so' moment? :dummytit:

What matters is here and now and Yogi deserves a chance to change things around in summer.

Right, and im just saying I don't think he has what it takes.

mikethehibee69
17-04-2010, 04:35 PM
Right, and im just saying I don't think he has what it takes.
another Yogi getae thread................. I never said that:grr::hijack:

Read the thread again and tell me who to bring in:soapbox:

Dibben
17-04-2010, 05:03 PM
In.
Kyle (killie)
Gray (Man U)
Arfield (falkirk)
Flynn (falkirk)
Smith (rangers)
Anderson (derby)

Out
Maka
Nish
Benji
Cregg
Bamba
Zemmama
Stevenson
Thicot

At least...

GreenOnions
17-04-2010, 07:50 PM
I have tried to start by just asking where are we weak at the moment and where will we be made weaker by unwanted summer departures.

Currently IMHO we are weak at right back and central midfield in particular. We have been shown to have weaknesses at centre half too.

We will probably lose our best centre half in the close season. However, I am increasingly impressed by Hanlon at left CB and think he should be considered as a likely starter next year.

Reading the runes I also suspect we may lose Riordan. Without Derek we may rely on Stokes too much for goals.

I agree with sentiments expressed above re the quality we want to stay at the club. This would include all our keepers, Murray, Hanlon, McBride, Wotherspoon, Miller, Zemmama, Galbraith, Stokes and Nish. I would love to keep Bamba and Benji but am assuming both will leave. I would like to see Gow signed up permanently too. He lacks pace but is clearly a good footballer IMHO. We can't turn our noses up at that. We should remember that most of our rivals were trying to sign him when we did. For me - this list of current players I'd like to keep at the club is longer than I can remember for quite a number of seasons. That is partly credit to Yogi and it encourages me for next year.

Immediate priorities for me are a right back, an experienced, right-sided central defensive partner for Hanlon and a central midfielder.

The ideal candidate for central midfield is Scott Arfield. I would also look at Paul Caddis for right-back as he has pace (something we lack) and is attack-minded and someone like Russel Anderson to play with Hanlon. If we lose Riordan it may be time to decide if Byrne is ready?

I genuinely don't think we're that far away from a good side. If we could add three quality players for those positions and maybe one or two more of the youngsters make a push for a place I think next season might be quite interesting - especially as there will be more continuity from this season than in previous years.

scoopyboy
17-04-2010, 07:54 PM

I agree with virtually whole post except that we did make the top 6 last season.

Hamish
17-04-2010, 08:05 PM
In.
Kyle (killie)
Gray (Man U)
Arfield (falkirk)
Flynn (falkirk)
Smith (rangers)
Anderson (derby)

Out
Maka
Nish
Benji
Cregg
Bamba
Zemmama
Stevenson
Thicot

At least...

Would take Gray and possibly Smith.

Kyle, Arfield and Flynn are not any better IMO than what we have and Anderson (unfortunately) won't be coming to Hibs.

I would have taken a chance with Craigan at Motherwell who can at least organise a defence. He has signed a one year contract at Fir Park though
We need a dominant, commanding central defender, but then so do 75% of the teams in the country and 74% will pay better wages than we do.

SteveHFC
17-04-2010, 08:52 PM
Out
Ma-Kalambay
Stack
Hogg
McCormack
Stevenson
Rankin
Gow
Nish
Benji

In
Anderson (Derby)
Gray (Man Utd)
Robertson (Dundee United)
Aluko (Aberdeen)
Kyle (Kilmarnock)
Gardyne (Ross County)

sesoim
17-04-2010, 08:58 PM
I'd offload most of the players others have mentioned here (ie Nish, Benji, Stevenson, Cregg, McCormack, Rankin, Maka, Gow and so on). Signing wise, I would sign five players - an entire new defence and a target man. I would push Wotherspoon, Murray and Bamba into midfield, where they could compete with Zemmama, Miller and Galbraith for a place.

Hopefully all the outgoing players wages will pay for the new players but if not we might have to accept Bamba, Zemmama or Stokes leaving.

DH1875
17-04-2010, 10:10 PM
Players out:

Maka
Stack.

Thicot
McCann
McCormack.

Cregg.

Benji
Gow
Nish
Byrne.

Keeping hold of Riordan is a must.

seanraff07
18-04-2010, 12:01 AM
Would take Gray and possibly Smith.

Kyle, Arfield and Flynn are not any better IMO than what we have and Anderson (unfortunately) won't be coming to Hibs.

I would have taken a chance with Craigan at Motherwell who can at least organise a defence. He has signed a one year contract at Fir Park though
We need a dominant, commanding central defender, but then so do 75% of the teams in the country and 74% will pay better wages than we do.

Mark Reynolds from Motherwell would be a great signing but i couldn't see that happening, i'm sure there are bigger clubs offering more wages that will be interested in him.

KWJ
18-04-2010, 07:25 AM
Why?

I disagree with that. Hows he been able to amass a far better squad?

He brought in Miller on a free but likely top wage and Stokes for a nominal fee and likely a high wage as well as more than solving the keeper problem.

However his outgoings would have about covered the wage bill as well as bringing in a healthy profit as arguably our two best and most valuable players left.

If you're saying he's been "allowed to amass a far better squad than previous managers" are you not then saying he's been our best in the transfer market?

mcfly
18-04-2010, 09:15 AM
assuming we sell bamba and possibly stokes my 2 replacements for them would be duberry of st johnstone and goodwillie of dun utd.

maka & stack can go
mccormack, stevenson, rankin, benji, nish - not good enough.

i'd like to see kurtis byrne given a chance as well

Aldo
18-04-2010, 09:19 AM
Being a very avid reader and poster on this board and have been for some time we are again at the point in our season where we are all looking forward to the start of next season (I am anyway)

After an excellent start we have fallen away (like most seasons) and for me this has been the story for a long long time. We have only papered over the cracks IMHO and we need a bit of quality in the team (especially through the middle of the park.

We have caught teams on the hop however once they have sussed us out they have hade no problem in over running us...especially in MF.

We need to be a bit more combative (in all departments).

I for one think we need to get rid of loads of players and build a team round the following players

Brown
Hanlon Murray
Miller Wotherspoon
Riorden
Stokes.

I think Bamba (sold) Zemmama (possibly sold), Benji, Stevenson (loan/sold) Stack, Maka, Hogg (surprise sold) McCormack (sold/released not good enouhg) Nish (swapped sold)

I would like to see the following players brought in (possibly within our price range)

Kyle (better than Nish IMHO) stokes i think would flourish with him.
Stewart (yes him...would be an excellent foil for Miller)(tinhat at ready):devil:
Strong right sided CH to play alongside the best CH at the club (Hanlon)
(What about Zaliukas?? Big tin hat at ready ...at least he can defend and has a bit of bit (would have to improve his discipline):devil:
Diamond of Aberdeen (just what we need)

there are a lot of players out there (I hope Hughes has got some lined up) but think we need a very strong spine of the team and add a bit of muscle to our flair.

Thoughts

TornadoHibby
18-04-2010, 09:32 AM
Really not overly impressed with the keepers really, nothing particularly outstanding about them. Would like to see Brown given a chance. I don't think Maka has potential, he has major butterfingers. A goalkeeper needs to be reliable, I don't think Maka is reliable. He can make a good save then two minutes later let the ball slip or make a howler. I don't think Hibs can justify keeping him just because he makes a few good saves, it's costly mistakes which have happened time and time again with him.
Benji has the ability but he doesn't seem to have the desire to play for Hibs - as witnessed last year when he was desperate on cementing a move away but came back after this fell through and Yogi came calling. I'll always appreciate Benji for his part in the CIS Cup Final 2007 - but does that really mean he deserves to stay?

Here we go again, just when you think it's safe to go in the water again, a random comment with little factual foundation but hyperbolised by constant repitition of the same "mantra" which, although being largely factually inert from the start, somehow gives the person(s) repeating the mantra the impression that it is somehow correct! :confused:

One or two slip ups DO NOT constitute justification for "time and time again" being used! :confused:

However, as I have said on other threads, looking at the facts regarding Maka DISPASSIONATELY does not fit with your theory that "Maka is p*sh" and therefore the Hibs dot net doctrine of "never letting the truth get in the way of a good story" strikes again! :grr:

I hope you are happy with that! :cool2:

Aldo
18-04-2010, 09:40 AM
Had another wee thought (dangerous I know)....I am hearing that Nicky Butt may be getting released from Newcastle....could/would he be able to do a job for us in the middle of the park or is he too old/not good enough.

Earl of Currie
18-04-2010, 11:20 AM
I think the key to the team would be 'winning ugly' as an earlier post said.
Creating a good spine to the side would alow this.
It would not be a bad idea ( not original) to look at fringe OF players and experienced bottom of the table Championship players.

Possible signings for next year ;

Paul Caddis (celtic)
David McNamee (Plymouth)
George Boyd (Peterborough)
Robbie Savage (Derby)
Lee Hendrie (Derby)
Danny Butterfield (Crystal Palace)
Andrius Velicka (Rangers)
Steven Smith (Rangers)
Steven Lennon (Rangers)
Mark Wilson (Celtic)
Michael Stewart (Hearts)

I think most/all of these players would be affordable to Hibs and would benefit the the first team , even Savage.

Expecting Rain
18-04-2010, 11:32 AM
Easier to suggest who to keep!

Brown,Smith,Stack
Hanlon, Bamba? Murray
Wotherspoon,Miller,McBride,Gow
Stokes,Riordan.
The Under 19 youngsters on the verge of the first team.

I`d like to see being realistic and off the top of my head the likes of either-Pascali,Dorman,Craig,Mehmet joining the ranks.

We need a right back urgently ( Michael Hart?), a strong central midfielder, a centre half to probably replace Bamba and a centre forward who is decent in the air.

houston1875
18-04-2010, 11:35 AM
Out
Hogg
Nish
Rankin
Thicot
Stevenson
McCormack
Gow
Ma-Kalambay

In
A right back (or two)
At least two wingers

Integral to next season
Murray
McBride
Stokes
Hanlon
Wotherspoon
Bamba (if not sold)
Miller

Sorted.
EMPTY 8 players out? replace with another 8 yes,did i miss summit,are we minted down at ER,half tidy replacements cost cash no? get real and be realistic :-/

Sir David Gray
18-04-2010, 11:53 AM
I have no idea who we are going to sign in the summer but I would probably get rid of;

Makalambay
Stevenson
Thicot
McCormack
Benjelloun

Gow and Cregg are out of contract and I think they will be away as well and I think Bamba and Zemmama will be sold.

Nish, Rankin and Hogg should all be squad players for next season.

Hughes has a massive rebuilding job on his hands over the next few months.

jdships
18-04-2010, 12:45 PM

Agree with most if not all you write.
I am one of those who do not believe that an ex player of a club is the ideal person to manage that club.
In recent years , apart from Ned Turnbull and to an extent Willie Ormond , who of ex players has made a success of managing Hibs ?
Any success , such as it has been, has been achieved with a manager with no previous connection to the club.
You write " i think we owe him a chance to continue on the re-generation work for another transfer window." - agree totally.
If things have not improved by then we must make a change .

:flag:

GreenOnions
18-04-2010, 04:49 PM
Easier to suggest who to keep!

Brown,Smith,Stack
Hanlon, Bamba? Murray
Wotherspoon,Miller,McBride,Gow
Stokes,Riordan.
The Under 19 youngsters on the verge of the first team.

I`d like to see being realistic and off the top of my head the likes of either-Pascali,Dorman,Craig,Mehmet joining the ranks.

We need a right back urgently ( Michael Hart?), a strong central midfielder, a centre half to probably replace Bamba and a centre forward who is decent in the air.

I would agree with this almost completely. I still like Colin Nish tho and would like to see him stay on. I think he is valuable to the team and gives us something different from the others. Although I'm sure he will leave I'd like Benji to stay too as to replace him with similar quality would be outwith our budget. Zemmama's injury may also mean that he will start next season with us as well. If that's the case then the squad and the entertainment will be all the better for it.

I don't know much about Michael Hart. If we bring in wide players/fullbacks I would prefer if they had pace as we lack that at the moment. Is Hart quick?

seanraff07
18-04-2010, 05:02 PM
I would agree with this almost completely. I still like Colin Nish tho and would like to see him stay on. I think he is valuable to the team and gives us something different from the others. Although I'm sure he will leave I'd like Benji to stay too as to replace him with similar quality would be outwith our budget. Zemmama's injury may also mean that he will start next season with us as well. If that's the case then the squad and the entertainment will be all the better for it.

I don't know much about Michael Hart. If we bring in wide players/fullbacks I would prefer if they had pace as we lack that at the moment. Is Hart quick?

Yep, i remember we played Aberdeen in the Scottish cup a few years back and it was on BBC, the commentator actually sayed he's quicker than Sproule, maybe slightly exaggerated from him, but it shows he must have pace, even if he's lost some the last couple of years.

blackpoolhibs
18-04-2010, 05:09 PM
I think there are some fans that need to go too. They are clearly not hibs class. And they need replaced in the summer.

3pm
18-04-2010, 05:16 PM
I think there are some fans that need to go too. They are clearly not hibs class. And they need replaced in the summer.

Is Hughes playing them in the right way though? I like the east stand but have not performed as well in the west stand. I could be out.

blackpoolhibs
18-04-2010, 05:19 PM
Is Hughes playing them in the right way though? I like the east stand but have not performed as well in the west stand. I could be out.

I agree, the east stand has not performed in weeks, its place must be in jeopardy.