PDA

View Full Version : Was the Club right to sack Sauzee?

hibsbollah
16-04-2010, 05:07 PM
Just came across this; http://sport.scotsman.com/sauzeeleaveshibs/Fans-condemn-disgraceful-treatment-of.2305578.jp (http://sport.scotsman.com/sauzeeleaveshibs/Fans-condemn-disgraceful-treatment-of.2305578.jp)

and remembering how gutted I was when the great man was sacked:boo hoo: Was the club right to sack him?

500miles
16-04-2010, 05:20 PM
Franck was let down, by club and players.

We played some lovely football, against Celtic in particular, until Luna let that temper of his boil over, and were well on top until the red card. St. Johnstone were never going to overtake us - they were simply awful. The club panicked - somewhat understandably i suppose, but the players, through a number of individual errors, poor performances, and incidents of stupidity, got Sauzee the sack.

I reckon he should have got more time, although to be fair, the next thing he would have had to deal with would have been a massive slash in budget, which may have been a bit much for a fledgling manager.

Beefster
16-04-2010, 05:22 PM
I thought it was a tragedy at the time and that he didn't get anywhere near enough time. Rarely been more gutted as a result of something Hibs-related as I was the day he was sacked.

blackpoolhibs
16-04-2010, 05:28 PM
I thought it was a tragedy at the time and that he didn't get anywhere near enough time. Rarely been more gutted as a result of something Hibs-related as I was the day he was sacked.

:agree: It is up there with Pat Stanton leaving, a real kick in the baws for me.:boo hoo:

lapsedhibee
16-04-2010, 05:31 PM
Board was far too obsessed with avoiding relegation, and the result was Blobby. Relegation is nothing to be feared - Hearts went down hundreds of times in the late 20th century and now they're one of the biggest teams in Europe. Sheepies have never been relegated and now look at the state of them. Etc.

Lofarl
16-04-2010, 05:31 PM
Big franck should be the one to open the new east stand. I never had a baker or turnbull. But I got to watch Sauzee, for this I'm grateful. But in saying all this I never thought he was the right man to be a manager. He was far to nice for it.

Was still rotten the way he was chucked out though

blackpoolhibs
16-04-2010, 05:34 PM
Big franck should be the one to open the new east stand. I never had a baker or turnbull. But I got to watch Sauzee, for this I'm grateful. But in saying all this I never thought he was the right man to be a manager. He was far to nice for it.

What a great suggestion. :thumbsup::thumbsup::top marks

RoxburghHibs
16-04-2010, 05:35 PM
He should ever have got the job in the first place.

Was a brave decision to sack him but without question the right one IMHO.

He's still Le'God

stubru59
16-04-2010, 05:37 PM
Pathetic decision when you consider how long much lesser men have been given.

Not one of our finer moments.

Hibs On Tour
16-04-2010, 05:49 PM
Stick to my beliefs ref fledgling managers shouldn't be getting top-level posts before learning their trade. So, for me, there should be an option for 'shouldn't have got the job in the first place' then I could have added 'been asst manager to whoever got it for a few years first'...

As it stands, it was 8 years ago - let it lie FFS :greengrin

hibsbollah
16-04-2010, 05:50 PM
Nice to see the majority agree with me that he should have been given longer...I had no idea what most Hibs fans thought because its rarely discussed these days.

mim
16-04-2010, 05:54 PM
Loved the guy to bits.
He and Latapy were instrumental in rekindling my desire to actually go and watch Hibs again, after years of not going along.

The fact that he was incapable of winning a game simply meant that the game against St Johnstone became crucial and a loss may have seen us relegated (probably not, tho).

I can understand why the board decided to part company with him, but I was still very unhappy about the manner of it.

weonlywon6-2
16-04-2010, 06:09 PM

why dont we push this idea?

weonlywon6-2
16-04-2010, 06:12 PM
He should ever have got the job in the first place.
Was a brave decision to sack him but without question the right one IMHO.

He's still Le'God

this would probably have been the best idea at the time.

if he had not been a manager he might have been involved in another way.

no idea what he does now but it could have all been very different

TheEastTerrace
16-04-2010, 06:26 PM
It would be fantastic to seem him back to open the new stand. Terrific player and true gentleman. Certainly, in my eyes anyways, Hibs legend.

Big Frank
16-04-2010, 06:36 PM
Just came across this; [/URL][url]http://sport.scotsman.com/sauzeeleaveshibs/Fans-condemn-disgraceful-treatment-of.2305578.jp (http://sport.scotsman.com/sauzeeleaveshibs/Fans-condemn-disgraceful-treatment-of.2305578.jp)

and remembering how gutted I was when the great man was sacked:boo hoo: Was the club right to sack him?

A chap who achieved legendary status in such as short time.

His services should have been retained at ER in some capacity. Fair enough not the manager.

He should be employed at ER today.

Andy74
16-04-2010, 06:39 PM
This still brings a tear to my eye. My darkest day as a hibs fan and I almost never forgave hibs for it. He had a horrendous situation with injuries and bad to play kids long before they were ready. It would be a great day to see him back in some capacity or even just for a wave.

.Sean.
16-04-2010, 06:55 PM
why dont we push this idea?
Superb idea, perhaps admin could get the ball rolling?

.Sean.
16-04-2010, 07:03 PM
''SIR, - The treatment of Franck Sauzee by the chairman and directors of Hibernian FC has been absolutely disgraceful. Franck was asked to take charge of Hibs at a very difficult time following the departure of Alex McLeish to Rangers. Anyone with any knowledge of football would have presumed he would have been given a decent amount of time to pull the club round - I know I did.
But 69 days is a joke and Franck - who, apart from being devoted to Hibs, is a lovely bloke - deserved better. I thought he was the right man for the job; he was a fantastic player and Scottish crowds were fortunate to see him perform here.

Great players don’t always make great managers, but he’s an inspirational guy and I’ve no doubt he’ll be a great boss somewhere else.

Hibs, who I myself loved playing for, are left hugely discredited by this affair. I can only wish Franck and his family well in the future, and to reiterate how privileged I was to see him play.''

ALAN GORDON

Craigleith Road

Edinburgh

The late, great Alan Gordon hits the nail on the head.

iwasthere1972
16-04-2010, 07:15 PM
A chap who achieved legendary status in such as short time.

His services should have been retained at ER in some capacity. Fair enough not the manager.

He should be employed at ER today.

:agree:

On reflection it would have been better to keep Frank and face relegation if that was the end result than have Mr Blobby keeping us in the SPL only to play hoofball every week.

All past managers should be invited to Easter Road to celebrate the opening of the new East Stand with the exception of Duffy and Blobby. Oh and that guy who lost his job at Dundee recently. :greengrin

erskine-hibby
16-04-2010, 07:16 PM
For me, it was probably the only time I was ashamed to be a Hibby.

Removed
16-04-2010, 07:31 PM
Nice to see the majority agree with me that he should have been given longer...I had no idea what most Hibs fans thought because its rarely discussed these days.

This still brings a tear to my eye. My darkest day as a hibs fan and I almost never forgave hibs for it. He had a horrendous situation with injuries and bad to play kids long before they were ready. It would be a great day to see him back in some capacity or even just for a wave.

Closest I ever came to chucking it.

We were never going down :bitchy:

:sauzee: :not worth

PapillonVert
16-04-2010, 08:19 PM
I have gone for the "let it go, it was 8 years ago" option.

At the time, I thought it was totally unfair - and 69 days for any manager to prove himself is totally unfair.

At the time. the Hibs' Board was terrified of relegation as it was considered that this would cost Hibs £2 million in hard cash and so Franck was asked to fall on his sword. The only reason Bobby Williamson was appointed was to save the club from relegation which it simply could not afford. He was never there to inspire the club or take it to another level but simply to avoid the catastrophe of relegation.

My view has moderated from that time, however, based really on what Franck has chosen to do since then. He has become a highy-rated pundit with a French TV station, gets to go to all the major Champions League games (no doubt put up in top quality hotels etc.). So, basically, Franck has done well for himself and has an enviable job and lifestyle.

If Franck had really had his heart set on football management, therefore, I think he would have found a way to do it despite the huge sadness of his sacking as Hibs manager. That he has found another career that he seems suited to and that suits him makes me wonder if, deep down, football management was really what he wanted in the first place.

Things have worked out as they should be.....

:thumbsup::sauzee::sauzee::flag:

Vive Franck. Vivent les Hibees!

Iain G
16-04-2010, 08:36 PM
I have gone for the "let it go, it was 8 years ago" option.

At the time, I thought it was totally unfair - and 69 days for any manager to prove himself is totally unfair.

At the time. the Hibs' Board was terrified of relegation as it was considered that this would cost Hibs £2 million in hard cash and so Franck was asked to fall on his sword. The only reason Bobby Williamson was appointed was to save the club from relegation which it simply could not afford. He was never there to inspire the club or take it to another level but simply to avoid the catastrophe of relegation.

My view has moderated from that time, however, based really on what Franck has chosen to do since then. He has become a highy-rated pundit with a French TV station, gets to go to all the major Champions League games (no doubt put up in top quality hotels etc.). So, basically, Franck has done well for himself and has an enviable job and lifestyle.

If Franck had really had his heart set on football management, therefore, I think he would have found a way to do it despite the huge sadness of his sacking as Hibs manager. That he has found another career that he seems suited to and that suits him makes me wonder if, deep down, football management was really what he wanted in the first place.

Things have worked out as they should be.....

:thumbsup::sauzee::sauzee::flag:

Vive Franck. Vivent les Hibees!

Blobby was brought in to stabilise things first and foremost, Franck couldn't buy us a win at the time for various reasons, I wish we had managed to keep him at the club, perhaps appointing someone more experienced with Sauzee as assistant coach and let him get that experience would have been a better plan, but I think the board, like the rest of us, got caught up in the whole fairytale idea of Sauzee being manager.

John Collins & Sauzee as the dream team once Yogi leaves perhaps :greengrin:devil:

One Day Soon
16-04-2010, 09:03 PM
Completely gutted by that decision. A man who had class on the pitch and was thoughtful and intelligent off it. We had a once in a lifetime chance with him and we blew it. Short term panic ruled over long term building. Still paying the price now.

Alfred E Newman
16-04-2010, 09:20 PM
The Board were pressured into giving him the job by the supporters and it soon became obvious that it was the wrong choice. He was a great player but as a manager he was a disaster. He had to go.

PapillonVert
16-04-2010, 09:41 PM
Blobby was brought in to stabilise things first and foremost, Franck couldn't buy us a win at the time for various reasons, I wish we had managed to keep him at the club, perhaps appointing someone more experienced with Sauzee as assistant coach and let him get that experience would have been a better plan, but I think the board, like the rest of us, got caught up in the whole fairytale idea of Sauzee being manager.

John Collins & Sauzee as the dream team once Yogi leaves perhaps :greengrin:devil:

These things are dreams made of!!

But how do you account for the fact that Sauzee has shown zero interest in management and has become the French equivalent of Alan Hansen?

Broken Gnome
16-04-2010, 09:41 PM
At that time, he wasn't the man for the Hibs job. It would have been interesting had he been given a pre-season so that his transfer targets would have been known to us (though financial cuts may have put paid to that) or if he had been given the Riordan/Brown/Thomson/Whittaker group of players to mould. From what I heard his ideas simply went over the players heads. It may have worked in a different scenario, but with that squad in that position.... no.

Phil D. Rolls
16-04-2010, 10:04 PM
I think any manager would find it hard to survive a semi final defeat by Ayr United. That said, Franck was different class, and I sincerely hope he would come to Easter Road to open the new stand.

He was in a league of his own.

truehibernian
16-04-2010, 10:13 PM
I think any manager would find it hard to survive a semi final defeat by Ayr United. That said, Franck was different class, and I sincerely hope he would come to Easter Road to open the new stand.

He was in a league of his own.

Hughes survived a quarter final defeat at Ross County. Met Sauzee a couple of times when he stayed in the New Town and he, like Mixu, for some reason ended up a bigger fan of Hibs than the most staunch Hibees out there. Great bloke, but we had an awful run at the time. I think the fact that he had been given money to spend made the board hit the panic button too soon. Like the idea of getting him and Russell back when the new East is opened though :thumbsup:

AFKA5814_Hibs
16-04-2010, 10:25 PM
Sauzee was a class player, a gentleman and a Hibs legend as a player. However he was out of his depth as manager. When he became manager he said he might be the worst ever Hibs manager but he'd give it a shot, in hindsight that should have rung alarm bells. Unfortunetly the Hibs board had no other option at the time, it was a real shame for a guy who we all still hold in great asteem.

bigstu
16-04-2010, 10:29 PM

what a good idea :notworthy:

many hibs fans missed out on the chance to say goodbye to the legend & i'm saddened that he hasn't been asked back to a game as guest of the club. Imagine him walking out to do the half time draw one game! the emotion within the stadium would be amazing! even if the club wanted to use it as a marketing ploy to get a full house for a game it would be worth it! I got the question asked at a fans forum if the club were ever planning to bring him back as a guest & the response was 'we have no plans to do so'. the way we treat ex players seems second rate compared with other clubs!
i feel sad everytime i think about the way Sauzee left, imagine if he was in the team these days, he'd soon sort this rabble out!

Hainan Hibs
16-04-2010, 10:39 PM
The very definition of Hibs class.

The sacking of the legend (a word over used but certainly not in Sauzee's case) and what followed it was nothing but a disgrace.

I don't think we were going to go down. The club panicked and we got Blobby.

Should have been given the time like so many sub-standard managers have.

PapillonVert
16-04-2010, 10:42 PM
what a good idea :notworthy:

many hibs fans missed out on the chance to say goodbye to the legend & i'm saddened that he hasn't been asked back to a game as guest of the club. Imagine him walking out to do the half time draw one game! the emotion within the stadium would be amazing! even if the club wanted to use it as a marketing ploy to get a full house for a game it would be worth it! I got the question asked at a fans forum if the club were ever planning to bring him back as a guest & the response was 'we have no plans to do so'. the way we treat ex players seems second rate compared with other clubs!
i feel sad everytime i think about the way Sauzee left, imagine if he was in the team these days, he'd soon sort this rabble out!

Big Stu, many Hibs fans DID say a heartfelt goodbye to Franck at a special event which took place at ER in June 2002.

I can assure you that Franck was deeply touched by the support he had from Hibs fans. On that day, we even had Irvine Welsh and Dougray Scott in attendance! (and a certain John Hughes + daughter IIRC!).

I agree with you that an opening ceremony for the new East Stand that includes Franck would be great. But not focused on him - we have all moved on from then, I think.

Lofarl
16-04-2010, 10:50 PM
Ive heard nothing about this event in 2002. Is there any pics or info about it anywhere?

It would be nice to see them.

PapillonVert
16-04-2010, 10:53 PM
Ive heard nothing about this event in 2002. Is there any pics or info about it anywhere?

I am sure there are but I ain't got any.

But I WUZ THERE so I assure you it happened! :thumbsup:

blackpoolhibs

It was one of the best days of my life, a wonderful day that was captured on DVD, although i have lost mine, i'd love a copy, most of the footage was done by me too.:boo hoo:

AFKA5814_Hibs
The very definition of Hibs class.

The sacking of the legend (a word over used but certainly not in Sauzee's case) and what followed it was nothing but a disgrace.

I don't think we were going to go down. The club panicked and we got Blobby.

Should have been given the time like so many sub-standard managers have.

Very difficult to say. IMHO, we had 1 game to save our season, at home against St Johnstone. Hibs went into the game 6 ahead of bottom of the table Saints. Win it and we were practically safe, lose it and only 1 game seperated Hibs from bottom of the table.

Given Hibs results during Sauzee's reign (and prior to that as well), Hibs probably needed a change. Blobby was not the answer long term, we all found that out, but short time, I think he was the answer tbh.

PapillonVert
16-04-2010, 11:00 PM
It was one of the best days of my life, a wonderful day that was captured on DVD, although i have lost mine, i'd love a copy, most of the footage was done by me too.:boo hoo:

Thank you. dear Sir.

We worked hard to make that a great day. :thumbsup:

Jane

bigstu
16-04-2010, 11:46 PM
Big Stu, many Hibs fans DID say a heartfelt goodbye to Franck at a special event which took place at ER in June 2002.

I can assure you that Franck was deeply touched by the support he had from Hibs fans. On that day, we even had Irvine Welsh and Dougray Scott in attendance! (and a certain John Hughes + daughter IIRC!).

I agree with you that an opening ceremony for the new East Stand that includes Franck would be great. But not focused on him - we have all moved on from then, I think.

don't worry I WAS THERE TOO, it was a great day but many were not there.

i agree the day should not be totally focused on him but i don't think it's a case of moving on or not, he is a hibs legend & we will always remember hm for that & hope to show our appreciation once again. not many legends from clubs leave never to return again.

if he can not come to the opening of thw stand then maybe he could come to the event at the usher hall to celebrate 20 years since HOH days.

Steve-O
17-04-2010, 01:43 AM
They were wrong to appoint him and right to sack him IMO.

We really were shocking under him for the most part, and the players did not even look fit IIRC. I wish he had continued playing and we might've won the league cup that year at least.

Speedy
17-04-2010, 02:13 AM

We really were shocking under him for the most part, and the players did not even look fit IIRC. I wish he had continued playing and we might've won the league cup that year at least.

I'm not sure the ex player route is the best to follow.

bighairyfaeleith
17-04-2010, 03:59 AM
sauzee, theres only one sauzee :party:

Get him back Petrie :grr:

Would love to see him open the east stand. If ever a player was hibs class, it was sauzee.

hibsbollah
17-04-2010, 06:35 AM
how do you account for the fact that Sauzee has shown zero interest in management and has become the French equivalent of Alan Hansen?

It maybe shows that he went into management because of his love for Hibs, not because he was interested in management as a career.

I remember reading a SoS interview with him a few years ago (cant find it online now) when he was talking about his love for Hibs, and that he planned to sneak back to ER without fanfare and just watch a game as a fan. Imagine having Franck sitting next to you at ER:dizzy:

RickyS
17-04-2010, 10:54 AM

RickyS
17-04-2010, 11:05 AM
It maybe shows that he went into management because of his love for Hibs, not because he was interested in management as a career.

I remember reading a SoS interview with him a few years ago (cant find it online now) when he was talking about his love for Hibs, and that he planned to sneak back to ER without fanfare and just watch a game as a fan. Imagine having Franck sitting next to you at ER:dizzy:

I have said a lot over the years that a planned half time visit by the great man would ensure a full house and give the fans a chance to say thanks. Think he does visit edinburgh every now and again

--------
17-04-2010, 11:13 AM

:agree: He wasn't ready for management, IMO.

It's a tall order to ask someone to manage a team he was part of only a few days previously. One minute Franck was one of the team, the next he was The Boss. Very few men could have made that jump.

The circumstances made it even harder. We had an inflated squad of players, a number of whom simply weren't living up to their reputations - De La Cruz, Arpinon, Hurtado, and Luna, to name but four. The loss of the TV revenue meant that a number of other players simply couldn't be picked for the team - we couldn't afford to pay them their match-fees.

We can argue that 69 days wasn't long enough - I would tend to agree. I really don't think we should have appointed him in the first place, though - not at that point in his career. He wasn't ready, and the club was in a situation that demanded a degree of experience and ruthlessness Franck couldn't supply.

I sometimes wonder what might have happened of we'd appointed BW right after McLeish left, let him do the dirty work he did, then appointed Franck after BW - at the point we brought Mowbray in, with a very young squad and a need to major on coaching and team preparation rather than buying and selling players like McLeish was doing.

We might have been looking forward to Franck's sixth anniversary as Hibs boss next month.

hibiedude
17-04-2010, 12:19 PM
After Sauzee was sacked I stayed away from Easter Road for 3 seasons because I was that annoyed at the way this guy was treated.

seanraff07
17-04-2010, 10:48 PM
this would probably have been the best idea at the time.

if he had not been a manager he might have been involved in another way.

no idea what he does now but it could have all been very different

I think he works in French football studios a lot.

And was anyone aware that on Fifa 10 Sauzee is actually the French commentator on it?

I'm only 15 and the season Sauzee became manager was my first season having a ST. It was a joy to watch him and even before i had my ST i was well aware of what a big part he was of our club, i would have to say that personally, he is my all time favourite player for Hibs.

And the idea about him opening the new East stand is a fantastic idea, would love to see that.

And back on topic to the OP's question, i don't think he should have been sacked, St.Johnstone were comfortably in 12th place and he definitely shouldve been given more time, maybe Hibs have learnt from this mistake as we haven't officially sacked a manager since, and theirs been a few dodgy ones it has to be said.

The Old Brigade
18-04-2010, 07:45 PM
After Sauzee was sacked I stayed away from Easter Road for 3 seasons because I was that annoyed at the way this guy was treated.

As did a lot of fans, that was why it was wrong and I hate to think how much money it cost us - problem was not giving him an experienced assistant and support rather than appointment per se, though it did not help that replacement was such a diisaster.

The Old Brigade
18-04-2010, 07:48 PM

!

This is where Board got it seriously wrong, the cost of Williamson in his salary plus the lost crowds cost us far more than relegation (which was highly unlikely anyway) ever would have. Cannot forget and forgive either, Board messed up big time and this should not be forgiven.

Perspective
18-04-2010, 07:52 PM
No. I'll never be convinced that sacking him after only 69 days was the right thing to do.

I don't think we would ever have been relegated and their decision came at too high a price. He was far too good a man to be treated to shamefully and it obviously cut him deep - I have a photograph of his sacking from the EEN ingrained in my memory, where he looks on the verge of tears and absolutely gutted.

Anyone who was at his leaving do at Easter Road and sat through hishumbling speech must feel the same.

Such a fine line, too, between success and failure. If Ian Murray hadn't messed up in that Aberdeen game at ER things could have worked out differently.

NAE NOOKIE
18-04-2010, 08:32 PM
Struggling to think of a player who can take on the mantle of Hibs legend more than Frank in the post Stanton era. Which probably means for at least 50% of the Hibs fans he is to them what Stanton was and is to the folk who go back to the 70s supporting Hibs.

Frank became a legend in such a short time because he oozed class on the pitch and just as much class off it, not because of trophies or even great European games.

Whether Hibs were right or not to make him manager will always be open to debate.

There is no doubt however that in the decision to sack him the board carried out one of the most shamefull acts in the history of the club. I have never been embarassed to admit to being a Hibby following any of the clubs results, no matter how bad, but I came close to it then.

The club should ask Frank to jointly open the new stand along with as many ex managers and players who are willing to attend.

:sauzee:

Pretty Boy
18-04-2010, 09:44 PM

I think part of the problem was that by deciding to stop playing immediately rather than take on the role of player/manager he was essentially deprived of our best player at the time, himself.

A quick appointment to appease the fans. we shouldn't forget though that we were already on a slippery slope under Alex McLeish before Franck was given the job. A 2-0 defeat at Pittodrie when we lost the 2nd goal after Nick Colgan charged up the park for a last minute corner was as bad as i can remember Hibs playing.

Unfortunately the rose tinted specs are on for some with regards to how close we were to going down. If we had lost to St Johnstone we were in bother. It's also easy to say going down wouldn't have been so bad but remember **** hit the fan big time financially soon after in Scottish football and who knows what mess we would have ended up in. Blobby should in no way be celebrated but he ensured our survival that season and the team was generally much improved compared to how it had been under Sauzee. It certainly didn't last any longer than that as the rest of Blobbys tenure was awful.

I remember being seriosuly angry and genuinely upset when Franck was sacked and i still feel sad at the way he was treated to this day. I remember he had tears in his eyes at the press conference. However with hindsight i think it was probably the right decision. We haven't done too badly since he left. 2 cup finals including a cup win, European football on one occasion and a reasonable chance of the same again this year, numerous semi finals, 5 consecutive top 6 finishes and a continuing crop of good youngsters. Franck Sauzee has secured his place in the hearts of all those who saw him play, a cracking player who, depsite his more illustrious career elsewhere, showed tremendous passion and commitment to this club. A great professional and a modern day legend in every sense. It didn't work out for him as manager, these things happen, we've moved on, he has moved on but one last farewell from a packed ER would be a fitting tribute IMO.

PapillonVert
18-04-2010, 09:55 PM
[QUOTE=deano88;2429892]:agree:

I'm not sure the ex player route is the best to follow.[Quote)

That kinda narrows the field slightly, though.

I mean, apart from Mourinho and Darren Ferguson, it's hard to come up
with a name who hasn't been an ex-player somewhere or other. :greengrin

Speedway
18-04-2010, 10:20 PM
Again, the general sentiment on here is anti-club pro individual.

Did it occur to anyone, that Franck might not have been putting in a shift off the pitch and was posted missing too often for the board's liking?

Beefster
19-04-2010, 06:52 AM

Did it occur to anyone, that Franck might not have been putting in a shift off the pitch and was posted missing too often for the board's liking?

What's the evidence for that?

RoslinInstHibby
19-04-2010, 09:36 AM

i cannae belive that tbh, do you have proof speedster?

Joe Baker II
19-04-2010, 09:44 AM
[QUOTE=deano88;2429892]:agree:

I'm not sure the ex player route is the best to follow.[Quote)

That kinda narrows the field slightly, though.

I mean, apart from Mourinho and Darren Ferguson, it's hard to come up
with a name who hasn't been an ex-player somewhere or other. :greengrin

Darren Ferguson is one of the few Scots with an League Championship medal since the Football League was rebranded! There are some though - McMenemy was another.

Joe Baker II
19-04-2010, 09:49 AM

I remember being seriosuly angry and genuinely upset when Franck was sacked and i still feel sad at the way he was treated to this day. I remember he had tears in his eyes at the press conference. However with hindsight i think it was probably the right decision. We haven't done too badly since he left. 2 cup finals including a cup win, European football on one occasion and a reasonable chance of the same again this year, numerous semi finals, 5 consecutive top 6 finishes and a continuing crop of good youngsters. Franck Sauzee has secured his place in the hearts of all those who saw him play, a cracking player who, depsite his more illustrious career elsewhere, showed tremendous passion and commitment to this club. .

We haven't done too bably since Williamson left but 2002-04 was a particularly low time (current run is good in comparison to the Williamson era) - we did very badly under Williamson (even getting to final was considerably due to Celtic playing a weakened team in the quarter final, although performance in semi was memorable) and the crowds we were getting between 2002-04 must have come close to making us insolvent; I very much doubt if relegation (and we were still 11 points off bottom in February 2002 I think) would have cost us as much as Williamson's appointment on a contract that made it hard for club to get rid of him asap when crowds fell did.

yekimevol
19-04-2010, 10:04 AM
Alan Gordon was right the treatment of this great man was a disgrace. to replace a hibs legend with a bobby Williamson there is no words for that madness !!!!

Holmesdale Hibs
19-04-2010, 12:30 PM
Sauzee should never have been appointed in the first place. He was still a decent player at the time and we needed him on the pitch. However, given that he was appointed, he should have got more support from the board. He was treated very badly and the whole saga was one mistake after another.

What bothers me is that I can imagine him being a good coach one day. If he was never appointed, maybe he could have come back around now with some coaching badges and a bit of experience.

Love the Green
19-04-2010, 12:37 PM
Was sacked farv too early in his time...the folowing week we were playing St.Johnstone at home and he would have won that 1 easily..then in the close season he would have sorted things out and brought in his own players.

"keep the faith"

Gerard
19-04-2010, 04:12 PM

:top marks
Gerard