PDA

View Full Version : Celtic on the rob - yet again

Boris
16-04-2010, 09:26 AM
Just looking at the ticket for tomorrow's game at Darkheid - across the top its got "More Than a Football Club". Am I right in thinking thats a Barcelona saying, maybe even on the seats in the Nou Camp?

Soapdodgers on the rob again - not for the first time: our players in 1888, Liverpool's YNWA anthem in the 60's, etc, etc,.........:take that

steviecarnie
16-04-2010, 09:34 AM
yep says Més que un club" (More than a club)
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/ce/Camp_Nou_M%C3%A9s_que_un_Club.JPG

LancashireHibby
16-04-2010, 09:37 AM
Just looking at the ticket for tomorrow's game at Darkheid - across the top its got "More Than a Football Club". Am I right in thinking thats a Barcelona saying, maybe even on the seats in the Nou Camp?

Soapdodgers on the rob again - not for the first time: our players in 1888, Liverpool's YNWA anthem in the 60's, etc, etc,.........:take that

As above, slightly edited version but a little obvious as to where they got the idea!

Aubenas
16-04-2010, 09:37 AM
Yup - Mes que un club - 'more than a club' in Catalan.
Barcelona are all that Celtic pretend to be but aren't:
Cultural and political icons, owned and run democratically by fans, and purveyors of fluent football, built on an excellent all encompassing youth system allied to a wide range of community sports clubs based in the city.

Which is all a bit different to flying a flag, playing folk music, ripping off fans and having an absentee owner with an interesting fiscal record who prefers golf to football.

And Barca don't have as their primary justification the fact that they aren't Real Madrid, despite the huge rivalry between them.

steviecarnie
16-04-2010, 09:43 AM
:
owned and run democratically by fans, and purveyors of fluent football, built on an excellent all encompassing youth system allied to a wide range of community sports clubs based in the city.

Lets be honest we'd all love our club to be like this.

NORTHERNHIBBY
16-04-2010, 09:55 AM
Glasgow Celtic....Siempre algun otro a la culpa.

Woody1985
16-04-2010, 10:14 AM
Cultural and political icons, owned and run democratically by fans, and purveyors of fluent football, built on an excellent all encompassing youth system allied to a wide range of community sports clubs based in the city.

Which is all a bit different to flying a flag, playing folk music, ripping off fans and having an absentee owner with an interesting fiscal record who prefers golf to football.

And Barca don't have as their primary justification the fact that they aren't Real Madrid, despite the huge rivalry between them.

What a great post that is. :agree:

hibsbollah
16-04-2010, 10:42 AM
Glasgow Celtic....Siempre algun otro a la culpa.

Glasgow Celtic- jabon evasors y gitanos:agree:

Sir David Gray
16-04-2010, 10:47 AM
Celtic really do give me the boak. :jamboak:

Is there anything to do with that club that is original?

shagpile
16-04-2010, 11:04 AM

Celtic should print it on the seats too. Lots of opportunities to read it.Or are the 'best fans in the world' simply invisible?

Bamba
16-04-2010, 12:05 PM
Celtic Football Club - Donde esta la biblioteca?

CraigHibee
16-04-2010, 01:09 PM
Celtic really do give me the boak. :jamboak:

Is there anything to do with that club that is original?

Yes

they were the first team in the world to confirm that thier fans do not wash :greengrin

steviecarnie
16-04-2010, 01:48 PM
on the subject of barca have a read at this blog/article now every team needs spirit like this http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/danwalker/2010/04/messi_cruyff_and_my_trip_to_ba.html

Brizo
16-04-2010, 02:31 PM

:top marks A fantastic assessment of the lesser greens.

CB_NO3
16-04-2010, 03:34 PM
Celtic are thieving gets like, they are so pathetic, thats all they do is copy. The worst thing about it is they try and justify their reasons. I hate them with a passion. I hate the Huns also but they dont try and justify themselves is being a proper club with amazing fans etc, they know they are ****bags which is better than trying to pretend to be this great institution like the tims, which is a total lie.

bawheid
16-04-2010, 03:43 PM
Jack Regan must be on holiday. :greengrin

greenteam
16-04-2010, 04:00 PM
Get onto their website. Its Celtic.con:grr:

iwasthere1972
16-04-2010, 04:10 PM
Jack Regan must be on holiday. :greengrin

He's in Barcelona heading up the campaign for Glasgow East to be twinned with their city. :devil:

Joe Baker II
16-04-2010, 04:21 PM
Barcelona get excessively good press it has to be said, being a member of the G14 was hardly to their credit, they sang celebrating Madrid bombings at Parkhead a few years ago (and got away with no UEFA action) while other less wealthy clubs seem to have been punished for less.

They also have a tendency toward encouraging supporters to feel that their club alone was a victim of oppression in Spain - for understandable reasons and true to a considerable extent but it can get over the top at times. To some extent this is true of Celtic it has to be said, but not anything like the extent some of the more moronic posters above are implying.

Bayern Bru
16-04-2010, 06:13 PM
Barcelona get excessively good press it has to be said, being a member of the G14 was hardly to their credit, they sang celebrating Madrid bombings at Parkhead a few years ago (and got away with no UEFA action) while other less wealthy clubs seem to have been punished for less.

They also have a tendency toward encouraging supporters to feel that their club alone was a victim of oppression in Spain - for understandable reasons and true to a considerable extent but it can get over the top at times. To some extent this is true of Celtic it has to be said, but not anything like the extent some of the more moronic posters above are implying.

When you consider that Franco's facist regime forced them to change the name of the club, the badge, banned the Catalan flag, murdered their president and bombed the club's offices, as well as "allowing them to play football under the generosity of the regime," you can maybe start to understand their stance, especially following a certain degree of political difficulty under Primo de Rivera's dictatorship.

Yes, they weren't alone in the oppression but as they viewed (and still do) themselves as the Catalan national team and not just a Spanish league team, they got a lot of the brunt of Franco's anti-Catalan ideology.

I also think you should point out who you think the 'moronic posters' are, because all I can see so far is humour and accurate descriptions of Celtic. Care to elaborate?

Betty Boop
16-04-2010, 06:41 PM
Hibs are guilty of pinching catch phrases also, eg 'The Hibernian Family' and 'Together'.

Keith_M
16-04-2010, 06:51 PM
Hibs are guilty of pinching catch phrases also, eg 'The Hibernian Family' and 'Together'.

Really? What other club has ever been called the 'Hibernian Family'?

:confused:

hibsbollah
16-04-2010, 06:53 PM
Barca recently played a load of friendlies in Uzbekistan at the invitation of the Uzbeki Govt, probably the most brutal dictatorship in the world at the moment, which they got millions of dollars for. Theyve also linked up with an Uzbek club with some very dodgy connections.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/373944-barcelona-budyonkor-uzbekistan-and-unicef
Not good PR for the worlds squeakiest cleanliest club:cool2:

Betty Boop
16-04-2010, 06:59 PM
Really? What other club has ever been called the 'Hibernian Family'?

:confused:

Ha ha! The 'Family' is a Celtic thing surely? :greengrin

weecounty hibby
16-04-2010, 07:02 PM
Ha ha! The 'Family' is a Celtic thing surely? :greengrin
Not sure about that. I can remember Dougie Cromb talking about the Hibernian Family back in the 80s/90s.

But I'm sure they will claim it.

Aubenas
16-04-2010, 07:32 PM
When you consider that Franco's facist regime forced them to change the name of the club, the badge, banned the Catalan flag, murdered their president and bombed the club's offices, as well as "allowing them to play football under the generosity of the regime," you can maybe start to understand their stance, especially following a certain degree of political difficulty under Primo de Rivera's dictatorship.

Yes, they weren't alone in the oppression but as they viewed (and still do) themselves as the Catalan national team and not just a Spanish league team, they got a lot of the brunt of Franco's anti-Catalan ideology.
:top marks

heidtheba
16-04-2010, 08:03 PM
Same theme but different story (if that is ok to chuck in here).
Was back in 99 I think and there was a documentary on tv about the new Sunderland stadium. Hilarious moment, although I did feel sorry for 'em, was when this group of fans waited outside for the naming announcement - lookin all fresh faced and eager - only to be told it was the Sunderland Stadium of Light...few moments of disbelief then someone pipes up - aww but thats Benfica's name.
I did feel for em but their sense of disappointment was darkly amusing.

seanraff07
16-04-2010, 09:11 PM

At least we haven't copied 'Believe' of they shower of muppets.

CB_NO3
17-04-2010, 03:27 AM
Barca recently played a load of friendlies in Uzbekistan at the invitation of the Uzbeki Govt, probably the most brutal dictatorship in the world at the moment, which they got millions of dollars for. Theyve also linked up with an Uzbek club with some very dodgy connections.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/373944-barcelona-budyonkor-uzbekistan-and-unicef
Not good PR for the worlds squeakiest cleanliest club:cool2:So its Barcelonas fault that a team wants to pay them 1 million euros or so to play them, hardly think so. If anything Barca are doing the right thing, taking money of the dodgy rich in Uzbekistan and giving it back to Unicef.

One Day Soon
17-04-2010, 06:55 AM

Quality Mr Aubenas. Nice

One Day Soon
17-04-2010, 07:04 AM

I also think you should point out who you think the 'moronic posters' are, because all I can see so far is humour and accurate descriptions of Celtic. Care to elaborate?

Didn't Franco also ban the Catalan language?

Celtc are a a parody of a community institution. When you have two sister institutions which are defined by religious bigotry actively promoted by those institutions for commercial benefit over decades then it should be no surprise that naked greed defines every plastic position they take.

Bayern Bru
17-04-2010, 12:28 PM
Didn't Franco also ban the Catalan language?

Celtc are a a parody of a community institution. When you have two sister institutions which are defined by religious bigotry actively promoted by those institutions for commercial benefit over decades then it should be no surprise that naked greed defines every plastic position they take.

Aye. In fact, anything red and yellow or remotely Catalan/distinctly non-Spanish was banned.