PDA

View Full Version : BBC Alba - as 'live' matches from 5:30pm

sunshine1875
16-04-2010, 06:46 AM
http://sport.scotsman.com/sport/SPL-games-on-BBC-.6231570.jp (http://sport.scotsman.com/sport/SPL-games-on-BBC-.6231570.jp)

Excellent news - better than listening to Traynor's Infirm love in.

Leith Green
16-04-2010, 07:55 AM
It's just a pity they do the commentray in a foreign language :wink:

Zondervan
16-04-2010, 07:57 AM
Think they will actually lose viewers, as this will clash with the ESPN EPL game.

Leith Green
16-04-2010, 08:00 AM
Think they will actually lose viewers, as this will clash with the ESPN EPL game.

Na mate, they'll pick up plenty viewers from the masses of Gaelic speakers in Scotland ..

JimBHibees
16-04-2010, 09:16 AM
More likely to affect the attendance when people can watch a game as live which they may have attended otherwise. Poor idea IMO.

Sir David Gray
16-04-2010, 11:01 AM
It's just a pity they do the commentray in a foreign language :wink:

Na mate, they'll pick up plenty viewers from the masses of Gaelic speakers in Scotland ..

Yep, all 50,000 of them. :bitchy:

I don't see why they can't do this service with an English broadcast.

I have watched bits and pieces of a Hibs match that has been shown on BBC Alba, but I've only really turned it on to coincide with a goal or a flashpoint and then I've switched it off again. I have never watched a full match on there from start to finish.

I just don't understand how this channel can be a success when only 1% of the Scottish population can actually speak the language. I would think that the number of supporters of SPL clubs who can speak Gaelic to any degree would be in the low hundreds, rather than the thousands.

Waste of money IMO.

Leith Green
16-04-2010, 12:37 PM
Yep, all 50,000 of them. :bitchy:

I don't see why they can't do this service with an English broadcast.

I have watched bits and pieces of a Hibs match that has been shown on BBC Alba, but I've only really turned it on to coincide with a goal or a flashpoint and then I've switched it off again. I have never watched a full match on there from start to finish.

I just don't understand how this channel can be a success when only 1% of the Scottish population can actually speak the language. I would think that the number of supporters of SPL clubs who can speak Gaelic to any degree would be in the low hundreds, rather than the thousands.

Waste of money IMO.

Would be good if they had an option of watching the game with the BBC radio commentray from the days earlier radio coverage or the gaelic mob if thats your lingual fancy, surely wouldnt be that hard to do on an interactive service such as sky..

Danderhall Hibs
16-04-2010, 12:38 PM
Would be good if they had an option of watching the game with the BBC radio commentray from the days earlier radio coverage or the gaelic mob if thats your lingual fancy, surely wouldnt be that hard to do on an interactive service such as sky..

They do that on the Welsh channel (S4C?) when they show rugby - also on BBC2 Wales I think.