PDA

View Full Version : Were facing 5 cup finals

Phil MaGlass
15-04-2010, 10:45 AM
Do we have what it takes ,courage,strength,fight spirit determination,skill guts and baws to see the job through? answers on the back of a 15p stamp to Hibernianfc. wehuvnaethebawstaeseeitthrough.con
When yi cannea turn over Ross County at two tries get pumped at home by United and let Hamilton(away from home of course) kick yir erses on a lovely smoother than a babies erse pitch,the pessimist in me says no and the optimist in me says no,so ur we doomed or ur we no?

http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20100414/were-facing-five-cup-finals_2262950_2023910

basehibby
15-04-2010, 11:43 AM
Do we have what it takes ,courage,strength,fight spirit determination,skill guts and baws to see the job through? answers on the back of a 15p stamp to Hibernianfc. wehuvnaethebawstaeseeitthrough.con
When yi cannea turn over Ross County at two tries get pumped at home by United and let Hamilton(away from home of course) kick yir erses on a lovely smoother than a babies erse pitch,the pessimist in me says no and the optimist in me says no,so ur we doomed or ur we no?

http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20100414/were-facing-five-cup-finals_2262950_2023910 (http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20100414/were-facing-five-cup-finals_2262950_2023910)

I reckon we probably need 4 points to secure 4th place - and although I understand your pessimism I still think we can and will do it. the big game of the season for us will be away against Motherwell - if we can win that one it may well seal it. I don't often go to away games - especially midweek ones - but I might make an exception in this case.

the_ginger_hibee
15-04-2010, 11:47 AM
No chance.

'5 cup finals'? The games most like cup finals, eg. Cup Quarters / derby's / 2nd Place battle against Rangers (remember that?) / 3rd Place battle against D.Utd / important 'bounce-back' games, yeah we kind of lost all those and they WERE our cup finals!

What makes anyone think we can 'play like we're in a final' in games that are less important than games we've been papped in? 4-1 5-1 2-1.......

So what, have we not been trying in the 'important' games? Or is this another boring soundbite that may aswell be babble as it would have the same effect?

Wilson
15-04-2010, 11:53 AM
No chance.

'5 cup finals'? The games most like cup finals, eg. Cup Quarters / derby's / 2nd Place battle against Rangers (remember that?) / 3rd Place battle against D.Utd / important 'bounce-back' games, yeah we kind of lost all those and they WERE our cup finals!

What makes anyone think we can 'play like we're in a final' in games that are less important than games we've been papped in? 4-1 5-1 2-1.......

So what, have we not been trying in the 'important' games? Or is this another boring soundbite that may aswell be babble as it would have the same effect?

I'm thinking along the same lines. With genuine cup success as a motivator we got edged out of the cup by a lower league side. Why talk in terms of cup finals now??!! What an odd and pointless soundbite.

basehibby
15-04-2010, 12:16 PM
I'm thinking along the same lines. With genuine cup success as a motivator we got edged out of the cup by a lower league side. Why talk in terms of cup finals now??!! What an odd and pointless soundbite.

You've clearly decided that whatever Hughes says your going to do your best to rubbish it - which kind of makes your own point a pointless soundbite IMO.

I think it's perfectly valid to state that we've got 5 cup finals left - as have the teams below us. Every game left is a six pointer and no matter what faint hearts like yourself may think we are still in with a great chance of getting into europe.

PS - Hibs weren't the only team to be knocked out of cup competitions by lower league opposition this season - get over it FFS :grr:

Phil D. Rolls
15-04-2010, 12:18 PM
:faf:

What a load of utter p*sh.

LamontHFC©
15-04-2010, 12:24 PM
You've clearly decided that whatever Hughes says your going to do your best to rubbish it - which kind of makes your own point a pointless soundbite IMO.

I think it's perfectly valid to state that we've got 5 cup finals left - as have the teams below us. Every game left is a six pointer and no matter what faint hearts like yourself may think we are still in with a great chance of getting into europe.

PS - Hibs weren't the only team to be knocked out of cup competitions by lower league opposition this season - get over it FFS :grr:

So? Doesn't make it and more acceptable or easier to take.

Wilson
15-04-2010, 12:24 PM

I haven't decided that at all.

lEXO
15-04-2010, 12:34 PM

And you seem to be ignoring our poor form,lack of fight and nonsense quotes from Yogi.I think the faint hearts you are talking about would be more suitable if refered to the team.Can you seriously say that our current performances make criticism of the players or manager a pointless soundbite?

Jim44
15-04-2010, 12:40 PM
We have a mountain to climb in the next five games. That in itself is daunting enough but it is even more alarming that we're going to have to compete amid petty squabbling between management and players. Not a happy settled club at the moment I'm afraid. Our slim chances of 5th place seem to be diminishing by the day. :bitchy:

NORTHERNHIBBY
15-04-2010, 01:00 PM
Five cup finals? Nope. Four cup finals? Nope. Three cup finals? Nope. Two cup finals? Nope.

One, truly massive game away at Motherwell that if we win, should surely see us fall over the line and get fifth or better. For every supporter that has said that Hamilton away was the final the straw, I would urge them to go to this game at least.

Rory89
15-04-2010, 01:11 PM
5 cup finals? Behave. :faf:

The players don't care anymore and going by attendances neither do most of the fans. The only thing I'm bothered about now is finishing above Hearts, and believe me I wouldn't give a ****** about that either if I didn't have a £100 quid bet on it with a jambo friend, if that bet didn't happen I'd be seriously struggling to have more than a passing interest in these next 5 games.

bobbyhibs1983
15-04-2010, 02:03 PM
I hate it when players, managers say the next 5 games will do this or are cup finals,
Dont they always have a negitive effect?

Im sure yogi said something like the next 5 games will define our season and we lost most of them(cant remeber the stats to be honest)

And didn't a die hard hearts fan in the evening news say something similar?:devil:

Nakedmanoncrack
15-04-2010, 10:35 PM

The players don't care anymore and going by attendances neither do most of the fans. The only thing I'm bothered about now is finishing above Hearts, and believe me I wouldn't give a ****** about that either if I didn't have a £100 quid bet on it with a jambo friend, if that bet didn't happen I'd be seriously struggling to have more than a passing interest in these next 5 games.

I'd agree with that, other than that I do give a s***e about finishing above them despite having nothing to gain financially. The crowds show the fans have long since given up on this season. And the idea that the possibility of finishing 4th or 5th motivates players is nonsensical

Owain_1987
15-04-2010, 11:08 PM
5 cup final what a boring manager cliche lets just say one point from our next 5 will be a step forward.

bringbackjoeT!!
15-04-2010, 11:16 PM
Were facing 5 cup finals

along with 'a relegation 6 pointer', 'take each game as it comes', 'theres no such thing as an easy game' and 'at the end of the day' ect ect- it is just a horrible football cliche that means very little and achieves nothing other than annoying me whenever I hear any manager/player saying it.

Speedy
16-04-2010, 01:01 AM
I hope not, we normally get pumped in cup finals :grr:

KWJ
16-04-2010, 03:04 AM
I'm not a fan of it either but he's not the first Hibs manager and won't be the last to say it.

Anything from the Rangers, Celtic and Utd games are a bonus. The derby and the Well games are the big ones in my book.

I'll be having more than a passing interest as I'm still desperate for us to get into Europe and would far prefer it to be from the 4th position in the league. I'm sure European football is motivation for the players too so don't get what you're saying there.

Deek will be wanting to add to his 1 European goal for a start. Should we somehow make the Europa League it'll be raised profiles and bonuses for them.

7Hero
16-04-2010, 06:40 AM
sorry but ive not been paying attention to the papers of late, i am presuming by post yogi has stated we are facing 5 cup finals..

Im starting to think a lot of what he says is very patronising and not really thought through. 5 cup finals is a complete kick in the teeth to us as fans, i presume this is a desperate rallying call to make it seem like the season can be rezurrected and deemed a success.

The most important game of the last few years we lost to a 1st division team (sorry previous poster but some of us CANT get over it), season is over, end of story.

Slag me all you like but we blew it, the players in my opinion gave it up a long time ago and yogi lost the plot then aswell. 5 cup finals my arse, hibs must think we were born yesterday.

erskine-hibby
16-04-2010, 06:48 AM
No chance.

Yep, we should have been approaching and treating games like cup finals for months now. We should have been in a cup semi, we should have had 4th place(at least) tied up and we could have had 2nd place in our sights and I don't, for the life of me, see anything but this slump continuing until the end of the season.

Steve20
16-04-2010, 08:36 AM

Good luck, I hope you win your bet.

However, I have a bad feeling we wont be finishing above them.

down the slope
16-04-2010, 08:41 AM
Never mind the next five games what happened to the last five , why should it be any different ?.

Rory89
16-04-2010, 10:53 AM
Good luck, I hope you win your bet.

However, I have a bad feeling we wont be finishing above them.

Cheers, I'm feeling the same. Unless it's a draw I believe the winner of the derby will decide which one of us walks away with the cash. Thing is I've been giving this guy pelters all season so if I end up losing he will be quite within his rights to never let me forget about it, and gloat like **** when I hand over the cash. :boo hoo:

Phil D. Rolls
17-04-2010, 07:14 AM
5 cup final what a boring manager cliche lets just say one point from our next 5 will be a step forward.

Were facing 5 cup finals

along with 'a relegation 6 pointer', 'take each game as it comes', 'theres no such thing as an easy game' and 'at the end of the day' ect ect- it is just a horrible football cliche that means very little and achieves nothing other than annoying me whenever I hear any manager/player saying it.

Ma boays, passion, shape up or ship out etc. It's surely a matter of weeks until he tells us he's "sick as a parrot" or "over the moon"?

Cheers, I'm feeling the same. Unless it's a draw I believe the winner of the derby will decide which one of us walks away with the cash. Thing is I've been giving this guy pelters all season so if I end up losing he will be quite within his rights to never let me forget about it, and gloat like **** when I hand over the cash. :boo hoo:

If they catch us they have every right to rub it in. I wondered whether it was wise to get too cocky with them, but let's face it - how many times has a team blown a 15 point lead?

There's a first time for everything, and for every first time there's Hibs.