PDA

View Full Version : Liverpool

H18sry
15-04-2010, 09:58 AM
Today is the 21st anniversary of the Hillsborough disaster where 96 Liverpool fans lost their lives. Please show ur respect to the 96 innocent people that died that day justice for the 96...you'll never walk alone

Scouse Hibee
15-04-2010, 10:22 AM
ynwa 96

Frazerbob
15-04-2010, 10:25 AM
I still refuse to buy The Sun after their campaign against the Liverpool fans and football fans in general.

SteveHFC
15-04-2010, 10:40 AM
r.i.p

justice for the 96

HUTCHYHIBBY
15-04-2010, 12:05 PM
It certainly wasn't a pleasant day out. Amazing to think it was 21 years ago!

Hibs On Tour
15-04-2010, 12:39 PM
RIP
Justice For The 96!

Sylar
15-04-2010, 07:02 PM
I'm normally quite good at remembering Hillsborough, but all this talk of volcanic ash has had me somewhat distracted today - been very little else on the news!

Sad day indeed - documentary on NatGeo later on this evening for anyone interested.

nonshinyfinish
15-04-2010, 07:11 PM
RIP. Terrible tragedy, truly sickening opportunism from the Sun.

seanraff07
15-04-2010, 07:12 PM
Rip.

HUTCHYHIBBY
15-04-2010, 07:50 PM
documentary on NatGeo later on this evening for anyone interested.Emotional viewing, I think its on The History Channel tho.

HibbyAndy
15-04-2010, 07:50 PM
Justice for the 96.

Rab _B
15-04-2010, 08:41 PM
Rip justice for 96 nver forgotten

TheEastTerrace
15-04-2010, 08:42 PM
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/david-conn-inside-sport-blog/2010/apr/14/bishop-of-liverpool-hillsborough-panel

RIP 96

jacomo
15-04-2010, 08:45 PM
RIP
Justice For The 96!

:agree:

sadtom
15-04-2010, 08:52 PM
Justice for the '96.
***** the Sun.

Reaper
15-04-2010, 09:06 PM
I still refuse to buy The Sun after their campaign against the Liverpool fans and football fans in general.

Me too

West Upper
15-04-2010, 09:07 PM
RIP

Justice For The 96 !!

Pretty Boy
15-04-2010, 09:15 PM
RIP. Terrible tragedy, truly sickening opportunism from the Sun.

:agree: I still get the angry everytime i see Kelvin Mckenzies face. The way he has carved a career for himself as some sort of celebrity absolutely disgusts me. He should have been locked up for allowing such nonsense to be printed about the innocent people who died that day.

Lofarl
15-04-2010, 09:44 PM
Whilst I have no wish for my comment to seem insensitve I believe we hear far more about Hillsbourgh than we do about Hysel, Bradford or even Ibrox for that matter.

All said events where horrendous but avoidable.

Ed De Gramo
15-04-2010, 10:31 PM

What happened regarding The Sun?

ForeverHibs93
15-04-2010, 10:35 PM
Rip 96

.Sean.
15-04-2010, 10:51 PM

Amongst other things they claimed Liverpool fans stole from the dead and attacked paramedics, all utter bollocks.

Frazerbob
15-04-2010, 10:55 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hillsborough_Disaster#The_Sun_newspaper_controvers y

stu in nottingham
15-04-2010, 11:24 PM
God bless those ninety-six fans. Just ordinary people who ventured out to watch their football team that fateful Saturday afternoon and met with a dreadful situation.

Hopefully we have learnt from their sad and unnecessary passing.

They will never walk alone.

Albanian Hibs
16-04-2010, 01:20 AM
God bless.

YNWA

Oscar Lomax
16-04-2010, 06:39 AM

Its a torie loving rag.

Hibs On Tour
16-04-2010, 11:00 AM

Rag said that the Liverpool fans were looting from the dead bodies and also pissing on them 'cos they were drunk. Said fans were attacking paramedics too.

Complete and total lies.

South Yorkshire Police on the other hand were attacking fans who were trying to escape the Lemmings Lane end by helping each other over the fences [including kids]

Complete farce as to why none of the police in command that day have been convicted for their actions - particularly as some were caught lying regarding the events of the day...

At the end of the day though, they [and we] are just football fans and in the eyes of the authorities are completely worthless.

RIP
Justice for the 96

Danderhall Hibs
16-04-2010, 11:10 AM
Rag said that the Liverpool fans were looting from the dead bodies and also pissing on them 'cos they were drunk. Said fans were attacking paramedics too.

Complete and total lies.

Didn't they print photos of the "looting"?

Hibs On Tour
16-04-2010, 11:25 AM
Didn't they print photos of the "looting"?

What I remember is them printing a retraction and an 'apology' of sorts...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hillsborough_Disaster#The_Sun_newspaper_controvers y (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hillsborough_Disaster#The_Sun_newspaper_controvers y)

Think that the Taylor Enquiry also found no evidence of anything like that having happened but sure that there will be more informed posters regarding the subject than me on this board who can clarify.

More info here too:

http://hfdinfo.com/digital/

Boris
16-04-2010, 12:01 PM
Taylor Report did indeed confirm that no such thing happened - also confirmed, among many other things, that David Duckenfield, the newly appointed match commander, lied about the gates being forced, that key video tapes from the police surveillance box were "lost", that police notebooks mysteriouly disappeared or were clearly changed or completed in unison, etc, etc, etc. Not saying the police carry the whole can - an incompetent FA hierarchy & just the way football fans (in England anyway) were treated in the late 70's & 80's all had their part to play.

Cover up from start to finish by the Thatcher establishment supported by a Tory loving press by & large. Different world then you have to remember - no internet - and people could be influenced far more by what they read (and Believed....) from the papers. With todays instant availability of information, opinions, etc via the internet it would have been a different outcome enquiry wise.

Can remember still the 2 plods from the West Midlands Serious Crime Squad who I was interviewed by several weeks later. West Midlands were the force appointed to "independently" enquire into Hillsborough. Their Serious Crime squad was disbanded a couple of years later following allegations of serious corruption & malpractice........... Q1 How did you travel to Sheffield; Q2 What time did you arrive in Sheffield? Q3 How much alcohol had you drunk before the match? NOt had you had any alcohol mind you, just "how much".

Thought the Taylor Enquiry would be no more than a cover up but as it turned out the Tory establishment made the mistake of appointing a man of great integrity, honesty & investigative skill who left no stone unturned. His hands were tied to a certain extent by the original farcical inquest verdict but he pulled no punches in completely & totally clearing Liverpool fans of any blame while clearly laying the blame with South Yorkshire Constabulary, the FA & the local authority.

As for Kelvin MacKenzie - Bernard Ingham's poodle - he phoned up Kenny Dalglish (I believe on instructions from the Sun's owners worried about the almost total collapse of sales & advertising on Merseyside & in many other parts of the North West) to see if anything could be done. Kenny told him to have the Sun print another banner headline with the words "WE LIED" replacing "THE TRUTH". Can't be done says MacKenzie. Then there's nothing down for you says Kenny.

Heard or read somewhere within the last few days that in the UK it takes an average of 17.5 years to have an inquiry re-opened into a perceived miscarriage of justice after a disaster involving serious loss of life. Well past the Hillsborough families & survivors getting their day in court.:grr:

Phil D. Rolls
16-04-2010, 12:08 PM
Sorry, but what's the significance of the 21st Anniversary? Also do we have days of grief set aside for the Juventus fans who lost their lives at the Heysel, due to the Liverpool fans behaviour?

I'm not saying that one lot of deaths is any more or any less tragic than the other. However this Scouse grief culture gets a bit much after a while.

Who was the guy that said the only thing that upset the Scousers about the Lockerbie disaster was that the plane didn't crash on Liverpool.

Those that suffered a loss should mark the day whatever way the see fit, but can the rest of us please move on? There are tragedies happening all around us all the time, and ruminating over the past does nothing to change the present or the future.

I've left a bag of nails and two pieces of 4x2 with the admins. as I fully expect to be crucified for this. Its just that not everybody wants to buy into this oh so sincere, hand on heart, ersatz grief.

The Sea-gull
16-04-2010, 12:34 PM
Sorry, but what's the significance of the 21st Anniversary? Also do we have days of grief set aside for the Juventus fans who lost their lives at the Heysel, due to the Liverpool fans behaviour?

I'm not saying that one lot of deaths is any more or any less tragic than the other. However this Scouse grief culture gets a bit much after a while.

Who was the guy that said the only thing that upset the Scousers about the Lockerbie disaster was that the plane didn't crash on Liverpool.

Those that suffered a loss should mark the day whatever way the see fit, but can the rest of us please move on? There are tragedies happening all around us all the time, and ruminating over the past does nothing to change the present or the future.

I've left a bag of nails and two pieces of 4x2 with the admins. as I fully expect to be crucified for this. Its just that not everybody wants to buy into this oh so sincere, hand on heart, ersatz grief.

Don't think you should be crucified for saying this as you haven't been disrespectful.

Hillsborough for some reason has struck a cord with the UK public and football fans in particular more than other tragic events of a similar nature.

This will be down to the media coverage and the fact that the victims families are campaigning for justice, elements which haven't followed other events.

I just think that for many people in this country there was something about this tragic event that has embedded it forever on our minds and will always be there.

For many people, it carries a "where were you when it happened" question and I don't think people with no connection to it are grieving for the victims, they are just having a momentary thought in much the same way people do on the anniversary of 9/11 and other huge news events of our lifetime.

Frazerbob
16-04-2010, 12:47 PM
Don't think you should be crucified for saying this as you haven't been disrespectful.

Hillsborough for some reason has struck a cord with the UK public and football fans in particular more than other tragic events of a similar nature.

This will be down to the media coverage and the fact that the victims families are campaigning for justice, elements which haven't followed other events.

I just think that for many people in this country there was something about this tragic event that has embedded it forever on our minds and will always be there.
For many people, it carries a "where were you when it happened" question and I don't think people with no connection to it are grieving for the victims, they are just having a momentary thought in much the same way people do on the anniversary of 9/11 and other huge news events of our lifetime.

The part in bold sums it up for me. The fact this could have happened to any football club in the UK, including Hibs, is why, 21 years on, it is still a hot topic. We (all football fans) are still treated as some kind of 2nd class citizen, hearded around like animals and assumed to be hooligans wherever we go. Lets see how we are treated tomorrow lunch time in the east end of Glasgow for example.

The behaviour of the police and the press (not just The Sun although they were by far the worst) was despicable and it still happens to this day.

To answer Filled Rolls question about the Juvé fans, yes they are remembered every year. Also, did you see the the banners etc at Anfield when Juvé played there a couple of years ago? Incidently, people were brought to justice for that shameful night in Brussels. Not everyone who was to blame but then we could trace the blame all the back to the Roma fans who attacked inicent Liverpool fans at the European Cup Final a couple of years earlier. Those to blame for Hilsborogh are living the high life with their huge police pensions.

Boris
16-04-2010, 01:07 PM

Thought Heysel would come into it somewhere if this thread went on but felt I needed to post in the wake of the comment about there being photographs of the "looting" etc. What happened at Heysel was tragic too but its wrong - in my opinion - to lump them together or do two wrongs make a right? What happened at Heysel was also tragic & yes nobody can deny that Liverpool fans directly contributed to what happened but without trying to shift the blame for that one there were a whole load of other factors at play.

"Scouse grief culture" - Not sure where that comes from. Sure, following Hillsborough was the first time I'd ever seen a display of scarfs, banners, flowers, etc in the wake of Peter Robinson opening the Anfield doors on the Sunday morning. If thats what you call a city marking a tragedy & standing up for what they believe to be right then fair enough.

Not easy for some people to move on until they get closure. Thats why the Liverpool fans & Hillsborough groups & indeed the club itself keep marking the anniversary. Up to others it they want to pay respects or not but its nice to see a thread like the way this one started out. Hillsborough happened to Liverpool - the way things were back then it could have been any big English club it happened to.

PeeKay
16-04-2010, 01:38 PM
"Scouse grief culture" - Not sure where that comes from. Sure, following Hillsborough was the first time I'd ever seen a display of scarfs, banners, flowers, etc in the wake of Peter Robinson opening the Anfield doors on the Sunday morning. If thats what you call a city marking a tragedy & standing up for what they believe to be right then fair enough.

Perhaps FR is paraphrasing Boris Johnson when he said that Liverpool "wallowed in its victim status" - for which he subsequently apologised with about as much sincerity as Kelvin Mackenzie.

Boris
16-04-2010, 01:50 PM
Perhaps FR is paraphrasing Boris Johnson when he said that Liverpool "wallowed in its victim status" - for which he subsequently apologised with about as much sincerity as Kelvin Mackenzie.

Good shout - only one "Boris" you can trust :wink:

Hibs On Tour
16-04-2010, 03:07 PM
For me, the aftermath of Hillsborough summed up perhaps the best in your normal man-in-the-street football fan in the way that fans of many clubs pulled together for the common good, particularly in the absence of any support from the authorities.

Saw it again after the Leeds lads got murdered in Turkey, when while down there in the run-up to the reply at Elland Road I was at the club shop on the Tuesday morning. Coach pulls up about 10.30am and off [silently] troop a full load of Sunderland fans all wearing full strips/scarfs etc. They get off, tie scarfs to gates, strips too, etc pay a couple of minutes respect then get back on the bus and silently leave again. Moving as **** to be honest.

For better or worse there seem to be certain things that happen that lodge themselves more in the memory than others or more in the psyche perhaps. Dunno if its to do with the media reporting of them or not. Just seems to be the way of it. There are clearly no 'better' or 'worse' disasters but as another poster pointed out, some of them seem to resonate more with fellow supporters. Hillsborough was one of these and I think that the fact that the survivors and relatives have still not had justice despite proving so much of the authorities story lies and cover-up is maybe one reason why it still resonates so strongly today.

Don't think it has anything to do with any scouse victim culture and although I take the point its not intended as such, I don't think that comment 'lifts' the debate on the subject really. Its just throwing nonsense comments ala The Sun really.

I, for one, like throwing verbal stones at Liverpool fans for their perception that they almost deserve to be at football's top table when they haven't for years. I would defend them to the hilt however over how they have dealt with Hillsborough, including the city-wide boycott of the Sun whose readership there has went down from something like 220,000 copies per day to only 20,000... proof that with some things at least if you want to stand up and be counted you can.

RIP
Justice for the 96

Phil D. Rolls
16-04-2010, 03:43 PM
Thanks to everybody for not going off on one about this.

The part in bold sums it up for me. The fact this could have happened to any football club in the UK, including Hibs, is why, 21 years on, it is still a hot topic. We (all football fans) are still treated as some kind of 2nd class citizen, hearded around like animals and assumed to be hooligans wherever we go. Lets see how we are treated tomorrow lunch time in the east end of Glasgow for example.

The behaviour of the police and the press (not just The Sun although they were by far the worst) was despicable and it still happens to this day.

To answer Filled Rolls question about the Juvé fans, yes they are remembered every year. Also, did you see the the banners etc at Anfield when Juvé played there a couple of years ago? Incidently, people were brought to justice for that shameful night in Brussels. Not everyone who was to blame but then we could trace the blame all the back to the Roma fans who attacked inicent Liverpool fans at the European Cup Final a couple of years earlier. Those to blame for Hilsborogh are living the high life with their huge police pensions.

I wasn't aware that the Juve fans were given that respect. I agree it is a disgrace that the police weren't brought to book for this. Serious mistakes were made.

Thought Heysel would come into it somewhere if this thread went on but felt I needed to post in the wake of the comment about there being photographs of the "looting" etc. What happened at Heysel was tragic too but its wrong - in my opinion - to lump them together or do two wrongs make a right? What happened at Heysel was also tragic & yes nobody can deny that Liverpool fans directly contributed to what happened but without trying to shift the blame for that one there were a whole load of other factors at play.

Not easy for some people to move on until they get closure. Thats why the Liverpool fans & Hillsborough groups & indeed the club itself keep marking the anniversary. Up to others it they want to pay respects or not but its nice to see a thread like the way this one started out. Hillsborough happened to Liverpool - the way things were back then it could have been any big English club it happened to.

I think there is a school of thought amongst other English cities that Liverpool does like to have a good greet. It wasn't Boris, or even Kelving McKenzie I was quoting, I'm sure there was a comedian, or one of the Gallaghers or somebody who wouldn't normally have an axe to grind on the subject.

I'm sorry to everyone if my comments maybe seemed dispassionate. Like everyone else, I'll never forget that day, and tbh it's not a memory I like to see dragged up as it sets off bad feelings. That's why I think that there should be a bit of subtlty to mourning, and why I object to people using the thing as a slogan without thinking about the real meaning.

Personally, I don't think I'll get over Tony Bland's story, one that I know very well as a relative of mine was in a Persistent Vegatative State. Like the Bland's we had to fight tooth and nail to get a resolution to a horrendous situation.

Every time Hillsborough comes up, I think of that poor family, losing their teenage son. Having to watch the pitiful shell of his body as he died. My thoughts are with those who lost people, every year they are reminded of the family member they lost (as if they could forget), and I guess every year they think about what that person would be doing now, and what their life would be like.

Justice won't bring them back, it may make some difference to some people's pain, but I would doubt if it would make much difference.

Hibs07p
16-04-2010, 03:54 PM
Hillsborough, apart from happening on my birthday, I will always remember, because they were only another set of supporters, attending a cup semi final, but some were killed because of poor organisation on behalf of the authorities, and an ineffectual plan B, to deal with people who had no / or forged tickets. Hooliganism had ensured high steel barricades faced most football supporter attending high profile games, designed to keep the supporter of the pitch. Unfortunately those fences caused the death of innocent supporters who arrived at the game nice and early to get a good spot, as the late comers were pushing towards the ground not wanting to miss kick off. Some commander in his wisdom, allowed the exit gates to be opened to allow the fans in whether they had a ticket or not, and the crush began.
RIP 96.

We also had a cup semi the following day against Celtic, which had a fairly low attendance, probably because of the previous days events. A bit of an anti - climax.

Phil D. Rolls
16-04-2010, 03:57 PM
Hillsborough, apart from happening on my birthday, I will always remember, because they were only another set of supporters, attending a cup semi final, but some were killed because of poor organisation on behalf of the authorities, and an ineffectual plan B, to deal with people who had no / or forged tickets. Hooliganism had ensured high steel barricades faced most football supporter attending high profile games, designed to keep the supporter of the pitch. Unfortunately those fences caused the death of innocent supporters who arrived at the game nice and early to get a good spot, as the late comers were pushing towards the ground not wanting to miss kick off. Some commander in his wisdom, allowed the exit gates to be opened to allow the fans in whether they had a ticket or not, and the crush began.
RIP 96.

We also had a cup semi the following day against Celtic, which had a fairly low attendance, probably because of the previous days events. A bit of an anti - climax.

I think some of those who rushed the gates should take an element of the blame.

Hibs07p
16-04-2010, 04:30 PM

Not disagreeing, and a bit of a catch 22 situation, stop the fans being crushed who were queuing to get in by opening the exit gates, and there was CCTV technology, it filmed the incident. It was still the time of hooliganism that was supposed to be controlled, the authorities failed to control the situation and it resulted in deaths. Unfortunately it takes incidents like Hillsborough to make attending games safer for all involved. IMO the commander inside the ground wasn't aware that someone had authorised the opening of the gates, and he obviously wasn't aware that the crush had started. If he was aware that gates had been opened, he was negligent in his chain of care to the supporters that were being crushed at the front. If he wasn't aware that gates had been opened, then he gets a medal for stopping a pitch invasion?

Hibs On Tour
16-04-2010, 04:31 PM

Think you need to read up more on the background to everything that went wrong before that kind of post to be honest... *IF* the police had directed fans into the side sections instead of just opening the gates to the middle section already full and having problems, the scale of the problem would have been massively less serious.

Majority of the fans were just presented with a gate being opened. Be honest with yourselves, if you didn't know better you'd just go in there too. Have a friend who was there when the gate was opened and it was only because he'd been in the Leppings Lane end before that he knew to head for the side pens. There had been worrying crushes in there at games before and nothing had been done. That knowledge maybe saved his life that day.

As I say, the information is all out there for anyone to read up on.

Boris
16-04-2010, 05:01 PM

Sad that a nice wee respect thread from Hibs fans to fellow football fans takes this turn & just when I thought you'd backed off a wee bit from your poorly researched or ill-advised comments or maybe you just want to stir it?

NOBODY RUSHED ANY GATES.

The Taylor Report clearly states that. The police themselves admitted it - eventually. And I say it. I was there. I was there at the Leppings Lane turnstiles in 1988 - same 2 teams, proper police control, filtering the crowds through to properly stewarded turnstiles with orderly queues. I was back there in 1989 - total chaos. No filters, few police, just a sea of people trying to find the right turnstile (West Stand turnstiles in same area - no signs to say which was which). Once you were in that sea you were trapped - as scary as it gets. Bad decision to change the previous year's arrangements as a cost cutting measure, good decision to open the gates when situation became life threatening, shocking decision not to have blocked off the already full central pen.

Check your facts before you post offensive crap.

Phil D. Rolls
16-04-2010, 05:20 PM
Sad that a nice wee respect thread from Hibs fans to fellow football fans takes this turn & just when I thought you'd backed off a wee bit from your poorly researched or ill-advised comments or maybe you just want to stir it?

NOBODY RUSHED ANY GATES.

The Taylor Report clearly states that. The police themselves admitted it - eventually. And I say it. I was there. I was there at the Leppings Lane turnstiles in 1988 - same 2 teams, proper police control, filtering the crowds through to properly stewarded turnstiles with orderly queues. I was back there in 1989 - total chaos. No filters, few police, just a sea of people trying to find the right turnstile (West Stand turnstiles in same area - no signs to say which was which). Once you were in that sea you were trapped - as scary as it gets. Bad decision to change the previous year's arrangements as a cost cutting measure, good decision to open the gates when situation became life threatening, shocking decision not to have blocked off the already full central pen.

Check your facts before you post offensive crap.

I apologise for the inaccuracy. Thanks for putting the record straight.

Boris
16-04-2010, 05:22 PM
I apologise for the inaccuracy. Thanks for putting the record straight.

Fair enough.:top marks

Bad Martini
16-04-2010, 06:59 PM
Kelvin McKenzie is a dickhead of the lowest order, a total tosser with absolutely **** all to say relevant and barely resembles a human being. Be it ripping the Liverpool fans, disrespecting those who died, bull****ting on the telly claiming to be behind the army then having a go at them too and all the other ***** he gets up to - a total PRICK...endof.

HE called Kenny Dalglish and allegedly asked how he could rectify the "mistake" he'd made and put it right. Kenny told him to print a front page apology the same size and status as his lies and state "WE LIED" and he'd perhaps have a chance. Then Dalglish allegedly hung up the phone....

The sun is a rag and for the utter pish they wrote back then, they should be totally ashamed. Gutter press at its very lowest. **** press, in fact.

As for the whole event; the FACTS are, as noted above, and as has never had a proper apology for the sub-human treatment some people got back then, the police ****ed it up big time. They screwed up and they have no argument in favour of their actions. The bottom line is, 96 regular football fans, lost their lives, many children included.

It ****ing irkes me the way some people claim "scousers" jump on the grief of Hillsburgh. Bollocks. Fitba fans everywhere see that for what it is - it COULD have been anyone anywhere and let us not forget other near misses that have inveriably gone on over the years with thanks to the smartest boys in blues dodgy decisions.......its not all one sided often but only the police had juristiction and means to sort that situation back then and they ****ed it up, bad style.

I remember seeing John Aldridge talking about how he went to so many funerals with Kenny and the team. He talked of one instance where the family asked him to have a chat with their son (young lad) who was in a coma to try and help...he left feeling slightly better as the family convinced him they thought the lad would recover so he asked the doctor...the doctor told him they were switching the machine of that afternoon. Bad bad times.

Not to wallow on grief, I am not a Scouser and regardless of my following Liverpool, this is a football tragedy and teams involved should be put aside as what happened there, was awful.

RIP, Justice for the 96, RESPECT for the 96 who left to watch a game of fitba and never come back and lets have some fricking decency and have someone say sorry.

YNWA.

Bostonhibby
16-04-2010, 09:03 PM
Think you need to read up more on the background to everything that went wrong before that kind of post to be honest... *IF* the police had directed fans into the side sections instead of just opening the gates to the middle section already full and having problems, the scale of the problem would have been massively less serious.

Majority of the fans were just presented with a gate being opened. Be honest with yourselves, if you didn't know better you'd just go in there too. Have a friend who was there when the gate was opened and it was only because he'd been in the Leppings Lane end before that he knew to head for the side pens. There had been worrying crushes in there at games before and nothing had been done. That knowledge maybe saved his life that day.

As I say, the information is all out there for anyone to read up on.

:agree: A lot to do with where the control of all events of this type lie - one thing we are really good at in Britain is the initial cover up where officialdom get it wrong, part of that cover up is warming up your pet journalists as quick as you can - get your version in first, The Sun was only too happy to oblige and Plod thought the whole thing had been managed in the usual way - well done to the ordinary people of Liverpool for sticking with it and getting the begrudging apology they did get, lifelong shame on the superannuated plod that conspired to supress the truth for as long as they did.

And for me this scandal is as good a reason as any for keeping the memory of events alive - in the other examples cited a form of justice followed quickly and was there to see.

Kelvin Mackenzie? - a whole new thread if I could be bothered but his behaviour here stands alone and for me sums up the media then, and since.

Hibs On Tour
17-04-2010, 05:26 AM
:agree: A lot to do with where the control of all events of this type lie - one thing we are really good at in Britain is the initial cover up where officialdom get it wrong, part of that cover up is warming up your pet journalists as quick as you can - get your version in first, The Sun was only too happy to oblige and Plod thought the whole thing had been managed in the usual way - well done to the ordinary people of Liverpool for sticking with it and getting the begrudging apology they did get, lifelong shame on the superannuated plod that conspired to supress the truth for as long as they did.

And for me this scandal is as good a reason as any for keeping the memory of events alive - in the other examples cited a form of justice followed quickly and was there to see.

Kelvin Mackenzie? - a whole new thread if I could be bothered but his behaviour here stands alone and for me sums up the media then, and since.

What boils me perhaps more than anything is that the person in ultimate charge that day escaped any punishment at all, despite the Independant Police Complaints Authority recommending he face charges. Took early retirement which meant they couldn't proceed against him. It has been left to civil actions since and the cover-up continues. Some people are to blame for 96 fans dying that day and they got off scott-free - lets not forget that.

RIP
Justice for the 96

Simpson
17-04-2010, 10:15 AM
Rip