PDA

View Full Version : Deeks not happy .

down the slope
15-04-2010, 07:09 AM
It seems Deeks remarks about the pitch did not go down to well.
http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/169370/Riordan-wages-war-over-club-fine

hibeemark
15-04-2010, 07:22 AM
Player union chief Fraser Wishart is in talks with Easter Road chief Rod Petrie to try and resolve the situation which is causing friction behind the scenes.

:cool2: :faf:

Booked4Being-Ugly
15-04-2010, 07:22 AM
What the **** is going on at ER. Petrie should give it a ****in rest. Riordan may/may not be out of order but for the club to fine him for his comments about the pitch are ridiculous at this moment in the season!

Captain Trips
15-04-2010, 07:27 AM
"the pitch could cost us some points" Anything but taking it on the chin from players. I agree the pitch isnt great and its fair enough to mention, the pitch is same for both teams and that doesnt explain away to St Johnstone, Hearts and Hamilton, what was to blame there Derek?

down the slope
15-04-2010, 07:29 AM
Making comments about the pitch is hardly detrimental to the teams performance, all he has done is tell it as it is. It seems freedom of speech is not tolerated in the world of football.

Steve20
15-04-2010, 07:30 AM
Out of order for the club to discipline him over his comments. He has said nothing that hasn't been said by many others recently.

Maybe the club have an ulterior motive, though.

jonty
15-04-2010, 07:30 AM
The state of the pitch is just an excuse.
Both teams have to play on the same surface and if anything, we should be better at it as we've had more practise :greengrin

Sadly, it's overshadowed by our awful away results. Cant blame the ER pitch for that.

Players need to knuckle down and play team football. It's the managers job to give excuses - not the players.

rainman
15-04-2010, 07:31 AM
Derek Riordan can GTF. As carlsberg said, what about the away matches where c***s like him aren't trying a leg.

Shut your mouth. Concentrate on your fitness so you might be able to run the length of the pitch one day.

When Yogi talks about launching players with a bad attitude, I hope he's top of the list.

Steve20
15-04-2010, 07:34 AM
When Yogi talks about launching players with a bad attitude, I hope he's top of the list.

I don't. I would rather Hibs kept players who have actually gave something to the team.

Maybe its not an excuse for the pish being served up, but there is absolutely no way he should be fined for making comments about the pitch. Many others have said the same before him.

erskine-hibby
15-04-2010, 07:36 AM
Seems a bit strange to fine a guy for saying something like that.

IMHO this is not the way to motivate players when they are having a bad time, infact it's more akin to kicking someone when they are down.

Could it be that this is just the tip of the iceberg?

Captain Trips
15-04-2010, 07:37 AM
I don't. I would rather Hibs kept players who have actually gave something to the team.

Maybe its not an excuse for the pish being served up, but there is absolutely no way he should be fined for making comments about the pitch.

I agree he should not be fined, I am bothered that this seems to be used for an excuse for some of the garbage served up.

hibsbollah
15-04-2010, 07:44 AM
The Quiet Man has been quoted in the Express:faf::faf::faf:

the situation which is causing friction behind the scenes.

blackpoolhibs
15-04-2010, 07:48 AM
The Quiet Man has been quoted in the Express:faf::faf::faf:

the situation which is causing friction behind the scenes.

Riordan isn't the only Hibs players to criticise the Easter Road pitch.Fellow striker Abdessalam Benjelloun also let rip earlier in the season and he has also been warned about his comments from the Hibs hierarchy.

However, the Moroccan's fine has been suspended and that has further angered Riordan who feels he has been unfairly treated.These issues haven't helped John Hughes as his side's bid for third spot has gone off the rails.

He was right all along. :faf::faf:

noseyhibby
15-04-2010, 07:49 AM
Out of order for the club to discipline him over his comments. He has said nothing that hasn't been said by many others recently.

Maybe the club have an ulterior motive, though.

Perhaps one of the 3 fans favourites to go as was mooted a few posts ago?

.Sean.
15-04-2010, 07:52 AM
I was at Hamilton on saturday and me and the boy sitting behind both agreed the pitch there was in superb condition. Hibs still got pumped. Yes the pitch at ER isn't helping us in our quest for some points, but we have bigger problems at the minute. The pitch didn't seem to prevent United or Ross County outplay us in two of our biggest games of the season.

Billy Whizz
15-04-2010, 07:53 AM

I hope so!

AgentDaleCooper
15-04-2010, 07:54 AM
stupid thing to say, stupider still to fine him. both needless and achieving nowt.

Golden Bear
15-04-2010, 07:59 AM
I suspect that Deek's criticism of the pitch may not have been the only reason why he was fined.

Matbe the totting up procedure also comes in to play with regard to club discipline.

Perhaps.

Pretty Boy
15-04-2010, 08:32 AM

At the start of the season the thought of Derek Riordan being sold would have been unbelievable to me. Now having seen him at times this season i wouldn't be unduly concerned.

All the shortcomings in his game that were painted over or seen through rose tinted specs by us whilst he was at Celtc are still apparent. Good player who can score goals from nothing when he is in the mood. Far from a team player, no real natural position, not a lot of pace, poor attitude at times and a workrate which appears to change depending on what mood he is in on any particular day.

Toaods
15-04-2010, 08:46 AM
Regardless of all away results what they both said is 100% true, it's like a ploughed field. The fine will be rescinded IMHO as legally he has stated a fact and not criticised any member of the staff directly. It'll be a cakewalk for Wishart.

Steve20
15-04-2010, 08:47 AM
At the start of the season the thought of Derek Riordan being sold would have been unbelievable to me. Now having seen him at times this season i wouldn't be unduly concerned.

All the shortcomings in his game that were painted over or seen through rose tinted specs by us whilst he was at Celtc are still apparent. Good player who can score goals from nothing when he is in the mood. Far from a team player, no real natural position, not a lot of pace, poor attitude at times and a workrate which appears to change depending on what mood he is in on any particular day.

I have actually noticed that Riordan's workrate has improved alot this season. This idea that he still doesn't help out the team is far from being true.

Booked4Being-Ugly
15-04-2010, 08:47 AM

All the shortcomings in his game that were painted over or seen through rose tinted specs by us whilst he was at Celtc are still apparent. Good player who can score goals from nothing when he is in the mood. Far from a team player, no real natural position, not a lot of pace, poor attitude at times and a workrate which appears to change depending on what mood he is in on any particular day.As opposed to all the other skillful, workhorse type players we have at ER grafting week in week out and scoring goals at their leisure! :blah:

blackpoolhibs
15-04-2010, 08:52 AM
As opposed to all the other skillful, workhorse type players we have at ER grafting week in week out and scoring goals at their leisure! :blah:

We need better midfielders at the club, better full backs too. And give riordan the platform to do what he does best, not have him marking full backs at his own corner flag. Better players in certain positions will give us a better balance, and better results will follow. In Yogi we trust.:notworthy:

Pretty Boy
15-04-2010, 08:53 AM
As opposed to all the other skillful, workhorse type players we have at ER grafting week in week out and scoring goals at their leisure! :blah:

As far as i can see this is a thread about Derek Riordan. If you want to start a thread about any of the other imposters currently drawing a wage from Hibs then feel free. I'll make my feelings known about them when it's relevant.

erskine-hibby
15-04-2010, 08:57 AM
As far as i can see this is a thread about Derek Riordan. If you want to start a thread about any of the other imposters currently drawing a wage from Hibs then feel free. I'll make my feelings known about them when it's relevant.

As far as I can see this thread was about Deek being fined for stating that the pitch was cr@p.
You have singled him out for critisism for not trying, so it is only right that someone can counter this and mention others that this can attributed to.

Westie1875
15-04-2010, 08:59 AM
I have actually noticed that Riordan's workrate has improved alot this season. This idea that he still doesn't help out the team is far from being true.

I think its ridiculous that some Hibs fans want Riordan to be sold because they don't think he tries hard enough. Look at his goals, and how many times he pulls us out of a sticky situation.

How many other players playing left midfield in the spl have scored anywhere near as many as he has? I'll give you the answer, none!

down the slope
15-04-2010, 09:05 AM
Players are not allowed to criticize the pitch but the manager can criticize the fans who don't back him, bit of double standards there.

Hibeebor
15-04-2010, 09:05 AM
We would sorely miss Riordan's ability to get goals out of absolutely nothing, something he does time and time again. Without those kinds of goals this season, where the hell would Hibs be right now? It really doesn't bare thinking about. Riordan should not, and will not be sold.

Steve20
15-04-2010, 09:09 AM
Riordan should not, and will not be sold.

You are right that he should not be sold. Unfortunately I am not sure about the will not part.

steakbake
15-04-2010, 09:14 AM
stupid thing to say, stupider still to fine him. both needless and achieving nowt.

When I read the original article, I thought to myself "here's a player who thinks it's over already". Not the kind of commitment we need.

Forza Fred
15-04-2010, 09:16 AM
I find i ttidiculous that Deeks has been fined for basically answering a question truthfully about the state of a pitch.

Were he asked abuot the state of the Motherwell pitch and answered that truthfully would he also be fined?

It is not as if what he said was outrageous. nor detrimental to teh club, but was basically his opinion - which is shared by nearly everybody on this list.

I don;t want us to revert to 'Ministry of Truth' answers during interviews, and there MUST be more going on behind the scenes for this to be taken to this level..

Joe Baker II
15-04-2010, 09:20 AM
Regardless of all away results what they both said is 100% true, it's like a ploughed field. The fine will be rescinded IMHO as legally he has stated a fact and not criticised any member of the staff directly. It'll be a cakewalk for Wishart.

As you say, if true, I do not think club can impose fine for a truthful comment and think Wishart will walk over Petrie here if it comes to it.

JimBHibees
15-04-2010, 09:44 AM
I find i ttidiculous that Deeks has been fined for basically answering a question truthfully about the state of a pitch.

Were he asked abuot the state of the Motherwell pitch and answered that truthfully would he also be fined?

It is not as if what he said was outrageous. nor detrimental to teh club, but was basically his opinion - which is shared by nearly everybody on this list.

I don;t want us to revert to 'Ministry of Truth' answers during interviews, and there MUST be more going on behind the scenes for this to be taken to this level..

Can only imagine that is the case.

Pretty Boy
15-04-2010, 09:44 AM
As far as I can see this thread was about Deek being fined for stating that the pitch was cr@p.
You have singled him out for critisism for not trying, so it is only right that someone can counter this and mention others that this can attributed to.

The post i was replying to stated that he was one of the fans favourites who may be sold. Perhaps the poster who replied to my post might have been better served answering the point i made about Derek Riordan as opposed to turning the tables on to other parties who have no relevance to this thread?

Of course there are other players who need to take a look at themselves as i acknowledged.

I also didn't accuse Riordan of not trying, i argued that his workrate and attitude varies depending on the mood he is in, this is a point which can be aimed at many good players at all levels.

My main point is if he was sold it wouldn't bother me as much as it would have done at the start of the season. Provided we hold on to Stokes and Galbraith is ready for more game time next season and if the transfer fee received and wages freed up allowed us to bring in a decent RB and a solid central midfielder would the Hibs team be significantly weakened by his sale? I'm not so sure it would be.

StevieC
15-04-2010, 09:46 AM
We would sorely miss Riordan's ability to get goals out of absolutely nothing, something he does time and time again.

Cant disagree with that.

:hmmm:

Hibby 2005
15-04-2010, 09:51 AM
He only has one year left on his contract :hmmm:

Phil MaGlass
15-04-2010, 10:16 AM
Fined for making comments about the pitch,ssssssssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhh its a secret its CRAP,
Pitch, pitch, pitch, its all aload o pitch,excuses, excuses, excuses from players and manager alike, I heard that the pitch at Hamilton was perfect compared to our tattie field, whats the excuse for being humped in the a55 by Hamilton?Hibs players are a waste of f,n space and oxygen at the moment.
I still think hertz will finish above us aswell,we dont have the bottle or organisation to beat them.Were very lucky to have picked up points early on in the season,otherwise we could end up like Aberdeen in the bottom half.

erskine-hibby
15-04-2010, 10:20 AM
Fined for making comments about the pitch,ssssssssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhh its a secret its CRAP,
Pitch, pitch, pitch, its all aload o pitch,excuses, excuses, excuses from players and manageer alike, I heard that the pitch at Hamuilton was perfect compared to our tattie field, whats the excuse for being humped in the a55 by Hamilton?Hibs players are a waste of f,n space and oxygen at the moment.
I still think hertz will finish above us aswell,we dont have the bottle or organisation to beat them.Were veery lucky to have picked up points early on in the season,otherwise we could end up like Aberdeen in the bottom half.

:agree:

JimBHibees
15-04-2010, 11:10 AM
Seems very harsh that he is fined a weeks wages for saying the pitch was poor.

Toaods
15-04-2010, 11:19 AM
it's stinks of deliberate unsettling tactics by the club.

Has someone decided they don't want him in these plans of 'where we want to go'....:wink:

Peevemor
15-04-2010, 11:33 AM
I suspect that Deek's criticism of the pitch may not have been the only reason why he was fined.

Matbe the totting up procedure also comes in to play with regard to club discipline.

Perhaps.

I suspect so.

I'm a huge fan of Deek, but I think some people on here are too quick to criticise the club without knowing all the details.

Deek's had his wrist slapped a few times by the club and here he's had to be 'called into the office' yet again.

The fact that Benji's fine was suspended and Deek's wasn't says a lot in my opinion.

What worries me most about this is how it found it's way into the papers. :bitchy:

clerriehibs
15-04-2010, 11:34 AM
Making comments about the pitch is hardly detrimental to the teams performance, all he has done is tell it as it is. It seems freedom of speech is not tolerated in the world of football.

The world of anything. Or can you say anything negative about your employers? Or, if you have employees, can they say anything negative about you?

The Harp Awakes
15-04-2010, 11:40 AM
I was at Hamilton on saturday and me and the boy sitting behind both agreed the pitch there was in superb condition. Hibs still got pumped. Yes the pitch at ER isn't helping us in our quest for some points, but we have bigger problems at the minute. The pitch didn't seem to prevent United or Ross County outplay us in two of our biggest games of the season.

If the pitch at Hamilton was in such good condition, then why is our pitch like a tattie field:confused:

Andy74
15-04-2010, 11:43 AM
I don't think it was so much for confirming that the pitch was rubbish, it was more that he was being negative about the chances of winning games on it.

Hughes said that at the time, it was talking abou the club negatively in public and almost accepting or suggesting that we would not win games on it. He also seen some of the comments as a go at the staff who have worked on it.

I'd imagine the mentality he wants from his players would be to say yes, the pitch is poor but a lot pf people are working hard to rectify it and as players we can only go out and do out best we can and we will be looking to win any time we play on it.

We can't criticise the lack of passion or mental stength at the club, blame Yogi for it and then criticise him or the club for doing something about changing it.

Andy74
15-04-2010, 11:45 AM
If the pitch at Hamilton was in such good condition, then why is our pitch like a tattie field:confused:

It's old and it has a long standing problem that needs totally dug up to be rectified. The Hamliton one doesn't!

Toaods
15-04-2010, 11:46 AM

lack of the correct care due to impending building work on the stand?

Incompetence?

watering it with spriklers before the KO and at half time when teh game was surprisingly on due to crazy weather?

folk that stroll/ amble around with a pitch fork repairing a stud mark when there's giant divots lying unfurled?

....it's anyones guess.

Peevemor
15-04-2010, 11:47 AM
The club confirmed at the recent fan consultation groups that there is a problem with "black layer", which is to be addressed during the close season.

http://www.gcsaa.org/gcm/2001/dec01/12blacklayer.html

--------
15-04-2010, 11:55 AM
I don't think it was so much for confirming that the pitch was rubbish, it was more that he was being negative about the chances of winning games on it.

Hughes said that at the time, it was talking abou the club negatively in public and almost accepting or suggesting that we would not win games on it. He also seen some of the comments as a go at the staff who have worked on it.

I'd imagine the mentality he wants from his players would be to say yes, the pitch is poor but a lot pf people are working hard to rectify it and as players we can only go out and do out best we can and we will be looking to win any time we play on it.

We can't criticise the lack of passion or mental stength at the club, blame Yogi for it and then criticise him or the club for doing something about changing it.

The pitch IS a bog and has been for far too long. Riordan may have stepped out of line in saying so, Andy, but I'm not convinced that "a lot of people are working hard to rectify it". If they were, I'd have expected at least a marginal improvement by now.

It's not just Deek, either. Benji has said HIS piece, and been fined too. Other players at ER are supporting Deek in this - they're brassed off at the situation as much as he is.

And this isn't a situation that's just arisen this season. It would be nice to say that the state of the pitch is down to an exceptionally bad winter. If that's so what was the reason for the bad pitch LAST season? Or the season before last? Or the season before THAT one? Because we haven't had a decent playing surface at ER for at least 4 years. We criticise Motherwell for their pitch - ours is almost as bad, and nothing ever seems to be done about it.

Shooting the messenger for bringing bad news isn't the way to encourage a positive, assertive spirit of co-operation and teamwork around any workplace. And shooting the messenger is what the board appear to have done in this case, IMO.

hibsbollah
15-04-2010, 11:56 AM
It's old and it has a long standing problem that needs totally dug up to be rectified. The Hamliton one doesn't!

True. However, Hamilton employ a dedicated head groundsman, whos job it is to keep the turf in good condition. We got rid of our groundsman and instead we now have 'landscape consultants' to stick a fork into it occasionally at halftime on matchdays. Coincidence?:cool2:

basehibby
15-04-2010, 11:57 AM

:agree: I've noticed that as well - even if he still needs to work a lot on his general condition and get back that half yard of pace he lost at Celtic, he hasn't lacked for effort on match day this season.

re the pitch comments it's very strange that the club are fining him for saying something that's as obvious as the nose on your face. Maybe a point of sensitivity with the board who have presumably made a financial decision to postpone major work on the pitch until the close season :cool2:

I reckon Wishart will win the appeal for him as it's surely illegal to fine someone their wages for stating the blindingly obvious.

GreenPJ
15-04-2010, 12:09 PM
:agree: I've noticed that as well - even if he still needs to work a lot on his general condition and get back that half yard of pace he lost at Celtic, he hasn't lacked for effort on match day this season.

re the pitch comments it's very strange that the club are fining him for saying something that's as obvious as the nose on your face. Maybe a point of sensitivity with the board who have presumably made a financial decision to postpone major work on the pitch until the close season :cool2:

I reckon Wishart will win the appeal for him as it's surely illegal to fine someone their wages for stating the blindingly obvious.

As has been suggested elsewhere this won't be the first time Derek has been in the office this season for misdemeanours and he has had accusations travel with him wherever he goes, perhaps the fine is actually the cumulation of all of these slapped wrists but why let that get in a way of a potential story.

I don't know what the code of conduct is within the club but regardless of who it is you either apply a code of conduct for any breach or you don't bother having one. That does not necessarily mean a fine every time but it could be an oral or written warning that then escalates up on the next misdemeanour. If the players are aware of the code of conduct then I have no sympathy for him and don't think Fraser Wishart will have the easy task of over-ruling the fine.

Tyler Durden
15-04-2010, 12:09 PM

You can't have it both ways here. You have (quite rightly) defended Yogi for giving honest answers for questions put to him. There's no difference in this case, all Riordan said was that the pitch did not help given our style of play. How do we know he didn't also say "but we'll do our best, it's the same for both teams" etc?

If any groundsman or employee feels belittled or insulted at these comments, they need to get a grip and so does Yogi if he thinks fining Riordan for this is a good idea. Yogi seems incapable of motivating the squad at the moment and this can't help.

NB - I'm not defending the players here, their lack of heart must have Hughes tearing out what little hair he has left.

Bad Martini
15-04-2010, 12:13 PM
The facts here are:

1) Our pitch IS sheite. Fact.
2) So is a lot of the other pitches in Scotland right now.
3) BOTH teams play on teh same sheite pitch
4) Deek stated the truth, its NOT a good excuse for losing as the other teams play on the same pitch
5) EQUALLY, how the **** can you be fined for stating the truth?

All pish. A total non-story of nothingness.

I am far more concerned with the fact we're shipping goals for fun, scoring **** all and our esteemed leader keeps shaking his heid and saying it needs to get better.....:grr: whilst being equally culpabale for the mess.

Peevemor
15-04-2010, 12:13 PM
As has been suggested elsewhere this won't be the first time Derek has been in the office this season for misdemeanours and he has had accusations travel with him wherever he goes, perhaps the fine is actually the cumulation of all of these slapped wrists but why let that get in a way of a potential story.

I don't know what the code of conduct is within the club but regardless of who it is you either apply a code of conduct for any breach or you don't bother having one. That does not necessarily mean a fine every time but it could be an oral or written warning that then escalates up on the next misdemeanour. If the players are aware of the code of conduct then I have no sympathy for him and don't think Fraser Wishart will have the easy task of over-ruling the fine.

Exactly. I don't see the current Hibs board making daft mistakes like that.

Tyler Durden
15-04-2010, 12:14 PM
As has been suggested elsewhere this won't be the first time Derek has been in the office this season for misdemeanours and he has had accusations travel with him wherever he goes, [B]perhaps the fine is actually the cumulation of all of these slapped wrists but why let that get in a way of a potential story.

So you're saying people should not assume the fine only relates to his comments about the pitch?

And you then assume that there is more to the fine that simply these comments. Nice one.

Eganov
15-04-2010, 12:17 PM
Standing by for a facebook group to be opened in protest of Mr Riordan's fine for a truthful proclamation...

3pm
15-04-2010, 12:22 PM
Investment in heat lamps? You see them a lot in the Premiership. I dunno how expensive they are though!

Andy74
15-04-2010, 12:29 PM
You can't have it both ways here. You have (quite rightly) defended Yogi for giving honest answers for questions put to him. There's no difference in this case, all Riordan said was that the pitch did not help given our style of play. How do we know he didn't also say "but we'll do our best, it's the same for both teams" etc?

If any groundsman or employee feels belittled or insulted at these comments, they need to get a grip and so does Yogi if he thinks fining Riordan for this is a good idea. Yogi seems incapable of motivating the squad at the moment and this can't help.

NB - I'm not defending the players here, their lack of heart must have Hughes tearing out what little hair he has left.

I don't actually think Yogi is telling the truth in public, I think he is trying to be positive and protective of his players and the club. What he says privately i expect will be a bit different but he will still be trying to be supportive and positive.

Riordan did not have to be so negative, he openly stated he expected us to lose games on the pitch.

It was defeatist and I recall thinking that at the time.

Quite rightly Yogi wants to change this attitude.

Andy74
15-04-2010, 12:31 PM
True. However, Hamilton employ a dedicated head groundsman, whos job it is to keep the turf in good condition. We got rid of our groundsman and instead we now have 'landscape consultants' to stick a fork into it occasionally at halftime on matchdays. Coincidence?:cool2:

It was under the previous groundsman that it got ****ed up and cause the trouble we have now! The current compnay are making the best of a bad lot until the whole thing is replaced in the summer.

truehibernian
15-04-2010, 12:35 PM
Riordan's goals are of course always welcome, but his overall form this season has been very poor and he is certainly not a team player when the chips are down. Yes, he is played out of position, but his attitude sums up the general attitude of the squad at present. He won't be at Hibs next season IMO and to be brutally honest, that does not concern me in the slightest. A cracking wage is freed up for someone with more work ethic and teamwork, with a professional attitude. It's a real shame, because Derek has all the talent in his feet, just insn't prepared to fight.

PaulSmith
15-04-2010, 12:42 PM

I'm pretty sure that you know and I know that current company will do a whole lot more than what you see on match days.

Pitch will be fine between now and the end of the season then we'll get a new one in the summer...even less excuses for some of our few un-fit, lazy, overpaid players to use.

Westie1875
15-04-2010, 12:44 PM
Riordan's goals are of course always welcome, but his overall form this season has been very poor and he is certainly not a team player when the chips are down. Yes, he is played out of position, but his attitude sums up the general attitude of the squad at present. He won't be at Hibs next season IMO and to be brutally honest, that does not concern me in the slightest. A cracking wage is freed up for someone with more work ethic and teamwork, with a professional attitude. It's a real shame, because Derek has all the talent in his feet, just insn't prepared to fight.

Yes yes, lets get rid of Deek and bring in another John Rankin, we won't miss him at all. :rolleyes:

sahib
15-04-2010, 12:44 PM
The club confirmed at the recent fan consultation groups that there is a problem with "black layer", which is to be addressed during the close season.

http://www.gcsaa.org/gcm/2001/dec01/12blacklayer.html

So, having the sprinklers on to slick up the passing surface, was probably not a good idea after wet spells. Yogi's fault.

Peevemor
15-04-2010, 12:46 PM
So, having the sprinklers on to slick up the passing surface, was probably not a good idea after wet spells. Yogi's fault.

Groundsman's fault for doing it. :greengrin

truehibernian
15-04-2010, 12:55 PM
Yes yes, lets get rid of Deek and bring in another John Rankin, we won't miss him at all. :rolleyes:

Cannot even compare the two to be honest......maybe getting an Ivan Sproule type back to the club, or someone of that ilk. Certainly don't want the team made up of "John Rankins", but tell you what, if Derek had Rankins work ethic and dedication on and off the pitch, we would have a multi million pound player bud. Sadly, we have a real talented player who is badly off form. I don't take any pleasure in knocking Riordan, but the team will be better off without him for a variety of reasons, Again, only an opinion......he will have plenty fans who have a different opinion to mine :agree:.

Westie1875
15-04-2010, 12:58 PM
Cannot even compare the two to be honest......maybe getting an Ivan Sproule type back to the club, or someone of that ilk. Certainly don't want the team made up of "John Rankins", but tell you what, if Derek had Rankins work ethic and dedication on and off the pitch, we would have a multi million pound player bud. Sadly, we have a real talented player who is badly off form. I don't take any pleasure in knocking Riordan, but the team will be better off without him for a variety of reasons, Again, only an opinion......he will have plenty fans who have a different opinion to mine :agree:.

We wouldn't, someone else would. No way he'd be back at Hibs if that were the case.

Toaods
15-04-2010, 01:05 PM
So, having the sprinklers on to slick up the passing surface, was probably not a good idea after wet spells.

as if it's not bad enough that was against Irvine Meadow ...:grr:

truehibernian
15-04-2010, 01:06 PM
Not really wanting this to turn into a Riordan debate bud, but Mowbray (especially Venus as well), Strachan, Levein and other managers have all commented on, both to the media and behind closed doors, about his poor work rate and his overall attitude at times. No one however questions his talent at hitting the target and set pieces. He is very like Boyd in that respect. If Derek coupled the talent with fitness and desire, he would be a wonderful player. In truth, he isn't......he is just a good player who comes up with a great goal now and again. He has been played in the wrong position all season admittedly, but that still doesn't mean you lose the ball as often as he does (with his ability), or drifts very annoyingly in and out a game. His desire to win and be the best needs to improve 100% IMHO. And John Rankin is someone I won't miss either, so we are in agreement about him :greengrin

sleeping giant
15-04-2010, 01:09 PM
Here Deek ! I'm no happy either:grr:

Shut yer puss and get on with trying to win a match or two !!

truehibernian
15-04-2010, 01:12 PM
Here Deek ! I'm no happy either:grr:

Shut yer puss and get on with trying to win a match or two !!

:faf: best post so far and nicely put :thumbsup:

Toaods
15-04-2010, 01:12 PM
He is very like Boyd in that respect

..difference being Boyd is played in the correct position and the media aren't looking to hang him out to dry every time he farts.

truehibernian
15-04-2010, 01:19 PM
..difference being Boyd is played in the correct position and the media aren't looking to hang him out to dry every time he farts.

True Toaods.............Boyd also has the pace of Miller, Novo, Naismith, Beasley, etc. Hibs have zero, and I mean zero, pace up top and next to no real workrate. Derek has no pace, Nish has even less pace, and only Stokes looks like he can beat the last man on a standing start. Riordan for me has had a poor season form wise. It's more than just being played on left midfield. Again, just my opinion when I am watching him and his body language at games. Very very rarely have I seen him truly up for games this year. The nearest he got recently was first 20 minutes v Utd in the 4-2 defeat. We need that level of performance for at least 70-80 mins though.

Toaods
15-04-2010, 01:36 PM
True Toaods.............Boyd also has the pace of Miller, Novo, Naismith, Beasley, etc. Hibs have zero, and I mean zero, pace up top and next to no real workrate. Derek has no pace, Nish has even less pace, and only Stokes looks like he can beat the last man on a standing start. Riordan for me has had a poor season form wise. It's more than just being played on left midfield. Again, just my opinion when I am watching him and his body language at games. Very very rarely have I seen him truly up for games this year. The nearest he got recently was first 20 minutes v Utd in the 4-2 defeat. We need that level of performance for at least 70-80 mins though.

I think he is spending too much time trying to muster all this effort he keeps getting sniped at for.

I'd rather he was just allowed to freeflow so to speak and do what comes naturally. The workhorses around such talents need to appreciate they graft and the talent wins games.

The problem is the workhorses aren't tough enough to dominate a match against almost any level of opposition as we have seen this year....and before folk jump on the bandwagon, yes we overcame Irvine Meadow but what a flaming toil it was.

Won't be surprised to see him dropped for this weekend, although that wouldn;t be my preference.

archiebald
15-04-2010, 01:57 PM
The pitch has been getting worse as season's go on.

GreenPJ
15-04-2010, 02:03 PM
So you're saying people should not assume the fine only relates to his comments about the pitch?

And you then assume that there is more to the fine that simply these comments. Nice one.

What???

Barney McGrew
15-04-2010, 02:05 PM
Sadly, we have a real talented player who is badly off form.

Surely it's better that we try and get the real talented player back ON form rather than just punting him on then?

Tyler Durden
15-04-2010, 02:15 PM
What???

You admonish other posters for jumping to conclusions based on the newspaper story.

But it's fine for you to assume that your take on events is 100% correct when you're no better informed than they are.

You're a hypocrite, is that simple enough?

GreenPJ
15-04-2010, 02:23 PM
You admonish other posters for jumping to conclusions based on the newspaper story.

But it's fine for you to assume that your take on events is 100% correct when you're no better informed than they are.

You're a hypocrite, is that simple enough?

Firstly re-read your initial post to me and tell me it makes sense.

Secondly I am speculating like everyone else on the messageboard and admit it by saying "assuming". No one, including the newspaper knows the full facts and so they are commenting on what may or may not be the case, that is what happens on messageboards.

Hibernia Na Eir
15-04-2010, 02:39 PM
Deeks could be the reason there's so much unrest at Hibs? I wonder??

staunchhibby
15-04-2010, 02:41 PM
Now that the players are being fined for critising the pitch.I wonder what Petrie has in store for the fans who are on about the pitch also

sahib
15-04-2010, 03:12 PM
Now that the players are being fined for critising the pitch.I wonder what Petrie has in store for the fans who are on about the pitch also

To be fair, nobody would have noticed the state of the pitch, if Riordan hadn't commented out of turn. :wink:
You can't blame Petrie for being annoyed.

Hibeebor
15-04-2010, 03:17 PM
To be fair, nobody would have noticed the state of the pitch, if Riordan hadn't commented out of turn. :wink:
You can't blame Petrie for being annoyed.

People were commenting on the state of our pitch well before Riordan did.

weonlywon6-2
15-04-2010, 03:33 PM

maybe all this is just the tip of the iceberg??:wink:

weonlywon6-2
15-04-2010, 03:35 PM

Perhaps.

yep,il`go with this as well.

wont be surprised if he goes in the summer.

seanraff07
15-04-2010, 03:36 PM

He did call us 'faceless wonders'.

Wilson
15-04-2010, 03:49 PM
He did call us 'faceless wonders'.

Was that not Yogi? I'm sure Petrie called me a tacheless wonder but I can accept that coming from him.

seanraff07
15-04-2010, 04:00 PM
Was that not Yogi? I'm sure Petrie called me a tacheless wonder but I can accept that coming from him.

Yep that's what i meant, never noticed yous were talking about Petrie there.:rolleyes:

The Modfather
15-04-2010, 04:22 PM
Why do folk keep harping on about Riordans set pieces, they are spectacular when they come off, but how many corners does he take that don't even beat the first man :grr:

I wouldn't be gutted to see him leave. Maybe this time we can get some money for him seeing as he's under contract and can't weasel a move to Celtic after his 24th birthday in order to shaft us for a fee and line his own pockets in the process.

Owain_1987
15-04-2010, 04:44 PM
I have just lost interest the pitch could be bad but that does not matter what does matter is not one player seems to give a flying **** about what happens on the pitch so they can moan all they like the truth is since the new year not one of them deserve their wage. Now pull you finger out boys and be proud to play for the Green and White of Hibs because am sure as hell would be. You are taking the piss now sort it out or all GTF!

wick hibby
15-04-2010, 05:05 PM

When his deeks ever happy

Jonnyboy
15-04-2010, 08:23 PM
Jeezo there's a few OTT posts on this thread IMO.

It's not as if Derek called a press conference to pronounce his views on the playing surface at ER. He was asked in an interview if the pitch made playing open and expansive football difficult and he said that it does because at times the pitch can be like a bog. Now call me naive if you must but what exactly did he say that warrants a fine?

For my money there's more to this whole nonsense than meets the eye and I've said before in another thread that it won't surprise me one iota if Deek gets shipped out in the summer

col02
15-04-2010, 08:57 PM
Given the amount of **** the club have had to put up with due to his off the field antics in the past he has a cheek to complain about being fined now for slating the club with the state of the pitch. Hamiltons pitch was like a bowling green but he along with several others hardly turned it on did they?

oldbutdim
15-04-2010, 09:07 PM

It's not as if Derek called a press conference to pronounce his views on the playing surface at ER. He was asked in an interview if the pitch made playing open and expansive football difficult and he said that it does because at times the pitch can be like a bog. Now call me naive if you must but what exactly did he say that warrants a fine?

For my money there's more to this whole nonsense than meets the eye and I've said before in another thread that it won't surprise me one iota if Deek gets shipped out in the summer

Certainly looks like he is being prepped for an early sale.

I may be getting confused............ but when this story first broke and Yogi was asked about it - did he not deny all knowledge? Hence the fine was levied on a player without involving the manager?
That seems a bit strange does it not.
:confused:

renato
15-04-2010, 09:10 PM

D Riordan out, G O'Connor in :dunno:

seanraff07
15-04-2010, 09:16 PM

D Riordan out, G O'Connor in :dunno:

I wish.:cool2:

renato
15-04-2010, 09:31 PM
I wish.:cool2:

Would rather have both personally but could see the board wanting to soften the blow by announcing a "star" replacement :cool2:

That's of course assuming there's something else going on behind the scenes and Deek actually has a chance of being punted this summer, which may well not be the case (although I'd be surprised).

seanraff07
15-04-2010, 09:36 PM
Would rather have both personally but could see the board wanting to soften the blow by announcing a "star" replacement :cool2:

That's of course assuming there's something else going on behind the scenes and Deek actually has a chance of being punted this summer, which may well not be the case (although I'd be surprised).

We'd struggle to have both i think and if that was the case then i'm sure the reason for it would be Stokes leaving.

I would rather have O'Connor to be hoest as he will get just as much goals, considering Riordan always plays left wing, and O'Connor will challenge and win high balls in the air which we are seriously lacking at the moment, as Nish usually mistimes when he jumps for the ball.:grr:

Dunbar Hibee
15-04-2010, 09:41 PM
I have a feeling Deek will be away this summer.:boo hoo:

renato
15-04-2010, 09:43 PM
We'd struggle to have both i think and if that was the case then i'm sure the reason for it would be Stokes leaving.

I would rather have O'Connor to be hoest as he will get just as much goals, considering Riordan always plays left wing, and O'Connor will challenge and win high balls in the air which we are seriously lacking at the moment, as Nish usually mistimes when he jumps for the ball.:grr:

Would like to hope we can keep a hold of Stokes and Derek but it's probably fair to suggest that Stokes stock will be high this summer when people look at his goal haul. Would depend then on how ambitious the board/yogi are and what clubs and offers come in for him, if any.

In an ideal world for 10/11, would like to see us chose two from Riordan, Stokes, O'Connor and Byrne.....with Nish and possibly Benji offloaded.

We can but hope :greengrin

seanraff07
15-04-2010, 09:48 PM
Would like to hope we can keep a hold of Stokes and Derek but it's probably fair to suggest that Stokes stock will be high this summer when people look at his goal haul. Would depend then on how ambitious the board/yogi are and what clubs and offers come in for him, if any.

In an ideal world for 10/11, would like to see us chose two from Riordan, Stokes, O'Connor and Byrne.....with Nish and possibly Benji offloaded.

We can but hope :greengrin

I would expect Stokes to at least stay till January or next summer.

Yogi has got his career back on track and it would be a bit disrespectful of him to leave after just a year.

I would probably be willing to sacrifice any player from our team if it meant O'Connor was to replace them, and i would be hoping that wages would not be an issue considering he made a lot in his time at Lokomotiv Moscow and no doubt he's earned a fair bit at Birmingham too, it's all highly unlikely but you never know.:greengrin

silverhibee
15-04-2010, 09:50 PM

I agree with you about the bit in bold Jonnyboy, but it wont be Yogi forcing Derek out the door, it will be upstairs that do that, as you say there's more to this than meets the eye, shame really as another season at Hibs would see him up there with the legends at the club from the past.
I dont think Hibs can afford to see Derek play out his last season at Hibs.:wink:

Jonnyboy
15-04-2010, 09:56 PM
I agree with you about the bit in bold Jonnyboy, but it wont be Yogi forcing Derek out the door, it will be upstairs that do that, as you say there's more to this than meets the eye, shame really as another season at Hibs would see him up there with the legends at the club from the past.
I dont think Hibs can afford to see Derek play out his last season at Hibs.:wink:

As and when Derek leaves I'll be sad to see him go because pound for pound he's the most talented player at ER IMO.

Jonnyboy
15-04-2010, 09:57 PM
Certainly looks like he is being prepped for an early sale.

I may be getting confused............ but when this story first broke and Yogi was asked about it - did he not deny all knowledge? Hence the fine was levied on a player without involving the manager?
That seems a bit strange does it not.
:confused:

Matches my own recollection actually. Very strange indeed (the goings on, not us recalling the same thing :greengrin)

HibeeDaz6270
15-04-2010, 10:06 PM
As and when Derek leaves I'll be sad to see him go because pound for pound he's the most talented player at ER IMO.
Disagree. I dont think he is half the player he once was. I dont doubt his ability to score from 30yards , but as an all round footballer , he is not what he once was. He cannot go by a player like he once did.

Benji is more talented.

It is all very well having talent, but in the SPL you need a bit more than that.

Jonnyboy
15-04-2010, 10:09 PM
Disagree. I dont think he is half the player he once was. I dont doubt his ability to score from 30yards , but as an all round footballer , he is not what he once was. He cannot go by a player like he once did.

Benji is more talented.

It is all very well having talent, but in the SPL you need a bit more than that.

All about opinions Daz.

As for Benji being more talented than Deeks, I don't think so but that's just my opinion :wink:

seanraff07
15-04-2010, 10:10 PM

Benji is more talented.

I agree with you like Riordan can't go past players anymore, he was never expert at this anyway but he doesn't have the pace anymore, which is why i believe he shouldn't be playing in midfield and shiould be centre forward which i believe is his prefferable position. He doesn't have to take on an awful lot of players upfront, he just needs to do what he's always done best and score goals, whether that's tap-ins or screamers, he will get more opportunities to score upfront than he ever will left midfield, resulting in a whole lot more goals and beating the 20 goal mark surely.

Captain Trips
15-04-2010, 10:14 PM

Benji is more talented.

Benji hasnt got what it takes, more talent? not sure about that, lets say he has for arguments sake then he has shown a dreaddful lack of consistency, any abilty Benji has is far outweighed by the long gaps there are in seeing it.

Riordan hasnt had his best season along with a lot of others but he has not been the worst, Riordan IMO has so much more to offer and I would be very unhappy if he was to go.

HibeeDaz6270
15-04-2010, 10:15 PM
All about opinions Daz.

As for Benji being more talented than Deeks, I don't think so but that's just my opinion :wink:

Very true. For me Benji and zemmama are technically the most talented players in our team. However, as i have said, its all very well having talent, but you need a whole lot more than that to be successful in the scotland.

Ed De Gramo
15-04-2010, 10:35 PM
The Hibs board can ram their fine....Deek expressed his concern and quite rightly.

That pitch is a mess...

Sounds awfy life we're trying to drive one of our best players away from ER...

HibeeDaz6270
15-04-2010, 10:45 PM
Benji hasnt got what it takes, more talent? not sure about that, lets say he has for arguments sake then he has shown a dreaddful lack of consistency, any abilty Benji has is far outweighed by the long gaps there are in seeing it.

Riordan hasnt had his best season along with a lot of others but he has not been the worst, Riordan IMO has so much more to offer and I would be very unhappy if he was to go.

Talent yes. Although as i have said for him to show his talent and be successful in scotland he needs more than talent. We have all saw what he can do at his best, and at his best he is wonderful to watch. So for me, I have no doubt about his talent. What he doesnt have is consistency, or a bit of dig. Which is needed in our game. or all the talent goes out the window.

truehibernian
16-04-2010, 06:16 AM
Talent yes. Although as i have said for him to show his talent and be successful in scotland he needs more than talent. We have all saw what he can do at his best, and at his best he is wonderful to watch. So for me, I have no doubt about his talent. What he doesnt have is consistency, or a bit of dig. Which is needed in our game. or all the talent goes out the window.

Agree with all the above. More importantly, Derek has been really poor for the last half of the season. His touch first half at Perth during the mauling was the worst I have ever seen from him, causing no end of problems with lost possession and giving Ian Murray no chance from start to finish. Since then, he has been pretty terrible. One on ones missed, dithering, wrong passes, cutting inside constantly because he has even lost the yard of pace he once had years ago. His finishing can be top notch and up there with the best. But he looks, like Nish, unfit, lacking desire, and lacking the all important fight needed when the team are low. He is of course not the only one, and it's unfair to single him out, but for me I actually do hope he goes in summer. The team, and that's the crucial word, will benefit in the long run. Very sad to admit that, but IMHO it will see the team improve greatly.

bighairyfaeleith
16-04-2010, 06:34 AM
If deeks gets sold, then who to?

If we sell to another premier team then it will be the biggest mistake we ever make because he will defo score in every game against us.

I want him to stay. I want O'connor to sign, I want messi as back up :greengrin

KingFranck
16-04-2010, 08:19 AM
Apologies if this has already been said, but I think we should back Deeks on the state of the pitch comments.
Chant for the Rangers game "The Pitch, The Pitch, The Pitch is a Tatty Field" anyone want to join in ?

Jim44
16-04-2010, 08:36 AM
Stuart Bathgate, arch Jambo and Hibs hater of the Scotsman, gives full back page cover to this story and, in it, drags up other unsavoury anecdotes about Riordan. He also says that a lot of the players are backing Riordan. You can almost hear him wringing his hands in glee at another opportunity to have a public go at Hibs. This couldn't have come at a worse time for the club with the struggle to get back on track for the last five games. As stated elsewhere I think the Riordan thing has more to it than meets the eye and I fear we are about to see out the season in a blaze of ingnominy. :bitchy:

Judas Iscariot
16-04-2010, 08:49 AM
Derek is spot on with his criticism of the pitch, it's a disgrace, I've not played on a pitch a bad as ER myself all year..

If the club are using this as a smoke screen to repremand him over other wrong doings or because he has previous then it's ****ing bull****!

Hibs let a talent like Riordan leave once, surely they aren't as stupid to let it happen again :bitchy:

Westie1875
16-04-2010, 09:03 AM

'Upstairs' can ram it as far as I am concerned. If Derek doesn't want to go anywhere and Yogi wants him to stay we should be doing everything we can to hold on to a player with his talent. It would be absolutely gutting to see him leave before reaching his 100 goals for Hibs and the board need shot if they're trying to force him out the door at the end of the season against the managers wishes to make a quick buck (which wouldn't even be that much as we'd hardly get millions for him).

Delboy4
16-04-2010, 09:04 AM
Hibs players are backing Deeks re his fine over pitch battle.

I honestly think that Yogi has lost the dressing room...

I can't believe that the board are wanting to fine a player approx £3k for telling the truth about the pitch being a "bog" when asked in an interview...

The pitch is absolutely Shight :grr:

I can see the players just playing out the season not caring a jot just to let the board know that they have control on the park. (You fine one of us - we will cost you a European place! ) EG - MONEY...

Mind you, they might have been doing that for the last couple of weeks.

:grr:

Antifa Hibs
16-04-2010, 09:07 AM
I can understand the furstration of the players but take it on the chin and forget about it, play the best of yer abilities in the 5 most important games of yer lifes then moan yer wee heads off about it pre-season!!!

Hope this isn't some sort of cover-up and something to take attention away that the majority of players for the last 3 months have been rank *** rotten!

blackpoolhibs
16-04-2010, 09:11 AM
Hibs players are backing Deeks re his fine over pitch battle.

I honestly think that Yogi has lost the dressing room...

I can't believe that the board are wanting to fine a player approx £3k for telling the truth about the pitch being a "bog" when asked in an interview...

The pitch is absolutely Shight :grr:

I can see the players just playing out the season not caring a jot just to let the board know that they have control on the park. (You fine one of us - we will cost you a European place! ) EG - MONEY...

Was it Yogi, or the club that fined Derek?

matty_f
16-04-2010, 09:16 AM
IIRC, I don't think it was so much that Deek criticised the pitch, it was that he blamed the people who are responsible for it. I think he said something along the lines of "I don't know how they've got it like that, it was never like that when Tam McCourt looked after it" - or words to that effect (unless I've imagined it).

To me, that's different to criticising the playing surface, after all I think everyone can appreciate why the pitches are in such a bad condition after the winter we've had.

I think a fine's a bit harsh, however it could be that the groundsmen/women complained higher up about the potential damage to their reputation etc and that's why action was taken.

Just my take on it.

Wilson
16-04-2010, 09:17 AM

What an odd theory. Why do some folk seem to have real trouble accepting that the players just aren't up to scratch and that Yogi is pretty poor at managing them?

I'm sure the players have plenty of avenues for getting their points across without depriving themselves of win bonuses.

J-C
16-04-2010, 09:20 AM
IIRC, I don't think it was so much that Deek criticised the pitch, it was that he blamed the people who are responsible for it. I think he said something along the lines of "I don't know how they've got it like that, it was never like that when Tam McCourt looked after it" - or words to that effect (unless I've imagined it).

To me, that's different to criticising the playing surface, after all I think everyone can appreciate why the pitches are in such a bad condition after the winter we've had.

I think a fine's a bit harsh, however it could be that the groundsmen/women complained higher up about the potential damage to their reputation etc and that's why action was taken.

Just my take on it.

That sound more likely.

ronaldo7
16-04-2010, 09:42 AM
Fraser Wishart should waltz through this one.

If Petrie has his sensible head on, he'll back down and let us all get on with the Football.

Derek is only saying what we ALL KNOW. The pitch has been terrible for a long time.

Aubenas
16-04-2010, 09:49 AM
Given the amount of **** the club have had to put up with due to his off the field antics in the past he has a cheek to complain about being fined now for slating the club with the state of the pitch. Hamiltons pitch was like a bowling green but he along with several others hardly turned it on did they?
:thumbsup::top marks:agree:

Holmesdale Hibs
16-04-2010, 10:00 AM

Just my take on it.

I haven't seen that quote anywhere but have only read about the story on the bbc website so they’ve maybe missed it. If he did criticise the ground staff publicly then I agree its alot worse than criticising the pitch in general.

From the quotes on bbc a fine seems harsh and he’s right to contest it.

sahib
16-04-2010, 10:10 AM
I haven't seen that quote anywhere but have only read about the story on the bbc website so they’ve maybe missed it. If he did criticise the ground staff publicly then I agree its alot worse than criticising the pitch in general.

From the quotes on bbc a fine seems harsh and he’s right to contest it.

To me a lot of people here are clouding the issue with their own bias and anger towards the players. This fine seems to fly against natural justice. The club allow and indeed may actively encourage players to talk to the press. They are leaving the player vulnerable to making gaffs, especially given leading questions by the press. God knows Yogi spouts contradictory rubbish every interview depending on what he is asked. Dereks previous wrong doing, lack of effort and general moodiness on the park can not come in to it. Hibs have made a bad error of judgement here and I would like to see the PFA have Hibs in court over this.

RIP
16-04-2010, 10:32 AM
I still cannot believe that after 4 managers in 4 years, there is a single Hibs fan out there who believes the manager has any credible power at Easter Road.

In order

Farmer
Petrie
Lindsay
Players
Manager (now just a coach)

Petrie hires, fires, disciplines, pays the wages and calls the tune. Coaches come and go but players outlive them

Managers at Easter Road are just puppets - it's club chairmen that hold ALL the power these days. In doing so they believe they are securing the future of the club.

Maybe there's truth in that. Mowbray got a free reign at Celtic - now they are in a sorry mess

Brizo
16-04-2010, 10:45 AM
To me a lot of people here are clouding the issue with their own bias and anger towards the players. This fine seems to fly against natural justice. The club allow and indeed may actively encourage players to talk to the press. They are leaving the player vulnerable to making gaffs, especially given leading questions by the press. God knows Yogi spouts contradictory rubbish every interview depending on what he is asked. Dereks previous wrong doing, lack of effort and general moodiness on the park can not come in to it. Hibs have made a bad error of judgement here and I would like to see the PFA have Hibs in court over this.

Unfortunately it does. Doesnt matter what your job is if youve got previous for misbehaving , are deemed to be lazy and have a dour moody personality your managers going to react differently to any criticisms you make than if they were made by another employee. Its not fair but its human nature and its a fact of working life.

Hibs gave Deek a lifeline to resurrect a career that was going nowhere and while his goalscoring records not in doubt how much has he repaid the club with improved work ethic , a more positive attitude on the park and off field lifestyle ? It might have been worthwhile for Deek or his advisers to ponder what Hibs have done for him before running to the PFA. But then Deeks comes across to me as the archetypal modern day "professional" .... and thats not a compliment.

Hibs On Tour
16-04-2010, 10:51 AM
Does it not seem more like a smoke-screen aimed perhaps at forcing DR to consider a move away from Hibs that would earn the club big money in the summer? Perhaps DR doesn't want to go anywhere and would rather stay at Hibs?

As other posters have said, NONE of us on here [or very few at least] know the truth behind any of this and there are some VERY OTT postings on here that are nothing more than the result of sheer paranoia and conjecture [like my first paragraph above in fact!]

For me, pitch has been ***** - team has been ***** - DR has been one of the few bright lights this season - if anything he has deserted the area of his game he is best at [goalscoring] in favour of trying to appease some of us 'nameless wonders' on here by tracking back to our own penalty area [where he is no use at all!]

To suggest we should be looking to get rid of him either because of a statement ref the pitch or not enough effort is ludicrous IMHO. If there's more behind the scenes than that, we can hardly comment until we know more can we?

Andy74
16-04-2010, 10:56 AM
I still cannot believe that after 4 managers in 4 years, there is a single Hibs fan out there who believes the manager has any credible power at Easter Road.

In order

Farmer
Petrie
Lindsay
Players

Petrie hires, fires, disciplines, pays the wages and calls the tune. Coaches come and go but players outlive them

Managers at Easter Road are just puppets - it's club chairmen that hold ALL the power these days. In doing so they believe they are securing the future of the club.

Maybe there's truth in that. Mowbray got a free reign at Celtic - now they are in a sorry mess

And I can't beleive you still believe all that just becasue you like to lay all the blame at the door of Petrie!

bighairyfaeleith
16-04-2010, 11:32 AM

In order

Farmer
Petrie
Lindsay
Players

what about the fish man :confused:

matty_f
16-04-2010, 11:36 AM
what about the fish man :confused:

He's so in charge, he doesn't even need to be mentioned.

First rule of fish man - don't talk about fish man.

Second rule of fish man - don't talk about fish man.

bighairyfaeleith
16-04-2010, 11:42 AM
He's so in charge, he doesn't even need to be mentioned.

First rule of fish man - don't talk about fish man.

Second rule of fish man - don't talk about fish man.

sshh :shhhsh!:

WindyMiller
16-04-2010, 12:03 PM

Just my take on it.

The actual quote:

"The results haven't been going for us lately and I think we have to blame the pitch. "If we are playing on a good and decent pitch, I think we'd give anyone a game. Ours has let us down recently. "Look at how bad Motherwell's pitch is, Aberdeen's and ours are really bad too. This is the worst I've seen Easter Road in years. It does not suit our style of play as we are not a physical side and we have been getting bullied. "You can see photos of how good the pitch was back when Tam McCourt was groundsman. "You'd think they'd have technology to make pitches a lot better and I think a lot have been let down lately. The pitch is not going to get better and basically it needs to be re-turfed. "I said a wee while ago I felt the pitch could cost us points and I think it has. "If you look at some of our chances in the St Johnstone game last Saturday, the ball was stuck under feet a couple of times because it is a bog."

joebakerforever
16-04-2010, 12:26 PM
The actual quote:

"The results haven't been going for us lately and I think we have to blame the pitch. "If we are playing on a good and decent pitch, I think we'd give anyone a game. Ours has let us down recently. "Look at how bad Motherwell's pitch is, Aberdeen's and ours are really bad too. This is the worst I've seen Easter Road in years. It does not suit our style of play as we are not a physical side and we have been getting bullied. "You can see photos of how good the pitch was back when Tam McCourt was groundsman. "You'd think they'd have technology to make pitches a lot better and I think a lot have been let down lately. The pitch is not going to get better and basically it needs to be re-turfed. "I said a wee while ago I felt the pitch could cost us points and I think it has. "If you look at some of our chances in the St Johnstone game last Saturday, the ball was stuck under feet a couple of times because it is a bog."

Hardly libellous stuff, in fact reasonable constructive criticism.

Hibs for whatever reason, appear to have over-reacted and should withdraw the fine asap.

WindyMiller
16-04-2010, 01:02 PM
Hardly libellous stuff, in fact reasonable constructive criticism.

Hibs for whatever reason, appear to have over-reacted and should withdraw the fine asap.

Hardly constructive, and doesn't seem to cover the fact that he/we were pish at Tynie, Hamilton,Dingwall atc.

HibsMax
16-04-2010, 01:07 PM
Some teams actually use their poor pitch to their own advantage since they have the most opportunity to play on it. That was something the New England Patriots did a few years ago, before they put down astroturf or whatever it's official name is.

matty_f
16-04-2010, 01:09 PM
The actual quote:

Cheers. There's not much there at all, really. I wonder then, if the players were told post-Benji's comments not to complain about it.

From the outside it looks like a heavy handed way to deal with the matter, though I suspect there's none of us here with the full picture as to the circumstances around the fine.

3pm
16-04-2010, 01:23 PM
Another shambles.

RIP
16-04-2010, 01:39 PM
And I can't beleive you still believe all that just becasue you like to lay all the blame at the door of Petrie!

I'm sure you are deliberately missing my point Andy. I'm not interested in laying any blame at Petrie's door for this latest incident.

If you are a club chairman you run the business - the buck stops with you. Our Rod's no longer just the financial director paid to steer us to economic stability. He has done a great job at that but now, as the man in charge, I'm certain he doesn't have to ask the head coach's permission to fine a player.

So my point was that I don't think that Yogi is the one behind this. Indeed I would be surprised if he was even involved.

Our manager is just an employee like anyone else

weonlywon6-2
16-04-2010, 01:39 PM

:agree::agree::agree:

Sumner
16-04-2010, 02:17 PM
a total JOKE of a fine, makes Hibs look bad,
but will suit Hughes who obviously wants Riordan out.

Joke of a situation :grr:

Danderhall Hibs
16-04-2010, 02:21 PM

How does he obviously want rid off him?

Jim44
16-04-2010, 03:16 PM

Ok I'm cringing as I say this because you're saying 'Source?' and I have never before posted any information like this but I offer it for what it's worth. From someone with links at Easter Road. Apparently, Riordan would have been sold in the January window if an appropriate bid had been made. He has been 'transfer listed', whatever that means and will leave the club in summer. :dunno:

seanraff07
16-04-2010, 03:48 PM
Ok I'm cringing as I say this because you're saying 'Source?' and I have never before posted any information like this but I offer it for what it's worth. From someone with links at Easter Road. Apparently, Riordan would have been sold in the January window if an appropriate bid had been made. He has been 'transfer listed', whatever that means and will leave the club in summer. :dunno:

'Transfer listed' basically means clubs are free to look at him and we will be willing to offload him in the summer for most offers. Really hope that isn't true.:bitchy:

boomtownhibby
16-04-2010, 04:02 PM
Derek Riordan can GTF. As carlsberg said, what about the away matches where c***s like him aren't trying a leg.

Shut your mouth. Concentrate on your fitness so you might be able to run the length of the pitch one day.

Riordan is spot on . He is just saying what everyone knows . The pitch is a disgrace this season, how can they justify a fine for speaking the truth ?

weonlywon6-2
16-04-2010, 04:05 PM

the mere fact this board continually has stories about deeks in a good bad or ugly way would suggest that things are not quite right just now and there will only be one winner, and its not deeks:cool2:

weonlywon6-2
16-04-2010, 04:30 PM

:agree::agree:

i`m sure that will grab him by the throat :wink::wink:

weonlywon6-2
16-04-2010, 04:36 PM

:thumbsup:

Bad Martini
16-04-2010, 07:12 PM
So rather than taking it and using it as they did, could they have taken it like this:

"The results haven't been going for us lately and I think we have to blame the pitch. "If we are playing on a good and decent pitch, I think we'd give anyone a game. Ours has let us down recently. "Look at how bad Motherwell's pitch is, Aberdeen's and ours are really bad too."

"THE" pitch as in the royal pitch...I dont agree that we should blame "the" pitch as oor players have shown ****ing lack of balls BUT what he was saying is he's blaiming THE pitch as in all the pitches he's mentioned AND ours i.e. ER!

"This is the worst I've seen Easter Road in years. It does not suit our style of play as we are not a physical side and we have been getting bullied. "You can see photos of how good the pitch was back when Tam McCourt was groundsman. "You'd think they'd have technology to make pitches a lot better and I think a lot have been let down lately."

So, the pitch was better...and now its no, and its no suiting us. AGAIN, I dont agree in full but thats more that I dont think the pitch is JUST to blame. HE IS technically correct - ER looks like a sheitehole of a pitch right now....canny be done for telling the ****ing truth!

"The pitch is not going to get better and basically it needs to be re-turfed. "I said a wee while ago I felt the pitch could cost us points and I think it has. "If you look at some of our chances in the St Johnstone game last Saturday, the ball was stuck under feet a couple of times because it is a bog."

More of the same....nothing all thats interesting here to be honest.

Bottom line; I disagree with this as an EXCUSE for our sheite play. But hten I doubt Deek will come out and say.

Actually, its no the ****ing pitch at all - its cause the gaffer plays me nearer to the B&Q on Easter Road than anywhere else...
OR
The dodgy formations we've had have been sheite...
OR
THe subs made a lot of the time were wrong
OR
And we as players done OUR bit to **** it up for everyone by sometimes not grafting
OR
And our luck has run out

Cause THAT, wojuld have meritted a fine. But he didny say that...

Bollocks. Scape goat. Pish reason for a fine....

ENDOF

King Paddy
16-04-2010, 08:37 PM
I agree rainman, it could well be an alterior motive concerning Deeks. His attitude has been rank for most of this season, maybe Yogi has had enough of his lack of effort and tantruams.

Alfred E Newman
16-04-2010, 09:10 PM
I agree rainman, it could well be an alterior motive concerning Deeks. His attitude has been rank for most of this season, maybe Yogi has had enough of his lack of effort and tantruams.

So lets wind the guy up by fining him a weeks wages for telling the truth? And as for his 14 goals , its just not good enough.

One Day Soon
16-04-2010, 09:27 PM
Really could not care less if 'Deeks' is 'not happy'.

In the context of a season where the players and manager have collectively massively let themselves down in specific games - and in the last two or three months in particular - this individual would be far better doing his talking on the park along with rest of them rather than coming out with this cobblers. The pitch may be poor but both sides have to play on it.

Our players need to spend less time boozing, whining and chasing lap dancers and spend more time developing some steel, will to win and professional approach to their trade and their club.

Dundee Utd anyone?

silverhibee
16-04-2010, 09:48 PM
the mere fact this board continually has stories about deeks in a good bad or ugly way would suggest that things are not quite right just now and there will only be one winner, and its not deeks:cool2:

He will be if he refuse's to leave the club next season if Hibs get an offer for him Derek doesn't have to speak any other club as long as he is contracted to Hibs.

silverhibee
16-04-2010, 09:52 PM
So lets wind the guy up by fining him a weeks wages for telling the truth? And as for his 14 goals , its just not good enough.

Its fifteen goals and eight assists.:greengrin

silverhibee
16-04-2010, 09:54 PM
Really could not care less if 'Deeks' is 'not happy'.

In the context of a season where the players and manager have collectively massively let themselves down in specific games - and in the last two or three months in particular - this individual would be far better doing his talking on the park along with rest of them rather than coming out with this cobblers. The pitch may be poor but both sides have to play on it.

Our players need to spend less time boozing, whining and chasing lap dancers and spend more time developing some steel, will to win and professional approach to their trade and their club.

Dundee Utd anyone?

It was the papers that said Derek was not happy, not Derek.:wink:

truehibernian
16-04-2010, 09:58 PM
Its fifteen goals and eight assists.:greengrin

I know you are a huge fan of Derek silverhibee, but in your honest opinion, left midfield aside, do you think his general form this season (specifically since Perth) has been good ? I think he, like a couple of others, have been woefully short of what they are capable of. I think maybe Derek sees Hibs as always there for him and has gone into a wee comfort zone, which doesn't help the team. I can't see him at Hibernian next season bud. I think Hughes already has one (or two) replacements in mind and lined up. Who knows. Great talent, desire missing these last 10 games IMHO.

WindyMiller
16-04-2010, 10:08 PM
He will be if he refuse's to leave the club next season if Hibs get an offer for him Derek doesn't have to speak any other club as long as he is contracted to Hibs.

That would lead to another wasted season added to the ones he spent at Celtic, and there aren't many left for Derek.

blackpoolhibs
16-04-2010, 10:31 PM

Has he not been credited with working harder this season, that at any time in his career?:confused:

madabouthibs
16-04-2010, 10:40 PM
If Deeks isn't happy, then he wants to spend some time in the stands. Then he'll get a real idea of what "not happy" is all about! :confused:

I do however agree with him when he states that the pitch isn't condusive to the Hibs gameplan of slick passing, and that our midfield isn't suited to the physical side of things.
He is apparently in breach of his contract though, which says he has to present Hibs in a decent manner or something.
I don't think Hibs will really have a problem with him appealling, its probably to be expected from any member of a union, and is their right.

emmjayfox
16-04-2010, 11:00 PM
That would lead to another wasted season added to the ones he spent at Celtic, and there aren't many left for Derek.

but does he have the brains to realise this? i will give you 1/10 on he doesnt.:cool2:

AFKA5814_Hibs
17-04-2010, 12:16 AM
There are two ways I can see this happening.

We can get rid of a player who can score 25+ goals a season or
we, as Hibs, can deal with it internally. :-(

cabbageandribs1875
17-04-2010, 01:02 AM

surely deeks wouldn't do something like that to the club...would he ? quite sad if you see deeks as being a winner if he was to deny the club some kind of transfer fee.

Steve-O
17-04-2010, 01:37 AM
surely deeks wouldn't do something like that to the club...would he ? quite sad if you see deeks as being a winner if he was to deny the club some kind of transfer fee.

I'm not sure if you are kidding, or just have a really short memory?

cabbageandribs1875
17-04-2010, 02:41 AM
I'm not sure if you are kidding, or just have a really short memory?

it's called sarcasm :wink:

Steve-O
17-04-2010, 02:50 AM
it's called sarcasm :wink:

So it's the former...

Judas Iscariot
17-04-2010, 07:15 AM
but does he have the brains to realise this? i will give you 1/10 on he doesnt.:cool2:

What's with all the personal swipes at Riordan?

Has he knobbed your bird or Ma or sister or something :confused:

:rolleyes:

Baldy Foghorn
17-04-2010, 07:18 AM
What's with all the personal swipes at Riordan?

Has he knobbed your bird or Ma or sister or something :confused:

:rolleyes:

Im guessing Emmajayfox, is a girl, so your point above, is slightly uncalled for?:confused:

and inappropriate

Judas Iscariot
17-04-2010, 07:23 AM
Im guessing Emmajayfox, is a girl, so your point above, is slightly uncalled for?:confused:

How?

More uncalled for than the personal abuse Riordan has had and gets dished out to him on here?

Baldy Foghorn
17-04-2010, 07:27 AM
How?

More uncalled for than the personal abuse Riordan has had and gets dished out to him on here?

If you need to ask how your comments are inappropriate to Emmajayfox, then I will not explain to you.......

Every player in the team gets stick and abuse on the boards, is that OK or not?:confused:

Captain Trips
17-04-2010, 07:59 AM
The bottom line for me, would we be better off without Riordan? IMO absoloutley not, never mind a fine he should be in that office with Hibs looking to extend his contract.

He is allowed from his standards a bad season and even though I think this has been one of his worst he has still done a job. I see the longterm in trying to keep Riordan I think Stokes has plans away from Hibs so IMO I would be doing all I could to keep Riordan even if at expense of Stokes.

Riordan upfront will get as many as Stokes.

Westie1875
17-04-2010, 08:39 AM
The bottom line for me, would we be better off without Riordan? IMO absoloutley not, never mind a fine he should be in that office with Hibs looking to extend his contract.

He is allowed from his standards a bad season and even though I think this has been one of his worst he has still done a job. I see the longterm in trying to keep Riordan I think Stokes has plans away from Hibs so IMO I would be doing all I could to keep Riordan even if at expense of Stokes.

Riordan upfront will get as many as Stokes.

Completely agree, some of the personal abuse aimed at Riordan by Hibs fans is astonishing at times.

We could never afford to replace his goals and assists, he is only at Hibs because of his faults, if he was the full package he'd be nowhere near us.

weecounty hibby
17-04-2010, 08:44 AM
A slight aside, but it's not just Derek. In my 36 years of watching Hibs I cannot believe some of the abuse dished out to our own players. Some of it is real venomous, personal stuff as well. What makes folk think that sort of stuff will make players play better?

By all means give it tight to the opposition but give the Hibbies encouragement

matty_f
17-04-2010, 08:45 AM
A slight aside, but it's not just Derek. In my 36 years of watching Hibs I cannot believe some of the abuse dished out to our own players. Some of it is real venomous, personal stuff as well. What makes folk think that sort of stuff will make players play better?

:notworthy: Spot on. There are many folk who appear to like nothing more than rocking up to Easter Road of a Saturday to give as much abuse as possible to the team they're meant to support.

oldbutdim
17-04-2010, 10:10 AM

Yes indeed. There's been a complete about face in how crowds behave.
In my younger day I would take great delight in dishing out verbals to opposition players - on a couple of notable occassions managing to so upset the player that he "engaged with me" to the delight of other fans.
But other than occasional cries of "***ksake Tortollano" there was no abuse from the terracing directed at our own.

It's quite the opposite now. Opposition players are largely ignored "the ugly incident" being the exception to the rule. Instead the venom and ire is channelled at Hibs players.

Yes. That'll gee them up.

silverhibee
18-04-2010, 12:04 AM
I know you are a huge fan of Derek silverhibee, but in your honest opinion, left midfield aside, do you think his general form this season (specifically since Perth) has been good ? I think he, like a couple of others, have been woefully short of what they are capable of. I think maybe Derek sees Hibs as always there for him and has gone into a wee comfort zone, which doesn't help the team. I can't see him at Hibernian next season bud. I think Hughes already has one (or two) replacements in mind and lined up. Who knows. Great talent, desire missing these last 10 games IMHO.

Sorry for not replying sooner, Dereks form this season has been up and down, like most of the players in the team over the season, at the start Derek looked like he was going to have a great season, POTM award and called up to the Scotland squad and playing in left midfield he was doing great i would say up until the game at Ibrox where he was dropped for that game, since then his form has been up and down, maybe by this time Derek was starting to find the left midfield position a lot harder to do, since he is not used to this position, but i still feel that over all Derek has done okay.
As for Derek being at Hibs next season, i dont see why not, wee keep hearing from Yogi that the fans will have to trust him regarding players or fans favourite's moving on from Hibs, Yogi took a wee gamble playing Derek LM but i think it has paid of for the both of them, 17 goals eight assists so far for Derek this season and its not over yet, i am sure Yogi will be delighted with this as well, maybe Yogi's thinking, well if thats what i got from Deeks in my first season then more hard work from Derek and next season will be even better for him, just a thought worth pondering if Yogi is thinking like that.
Now if Hibs were to try to sell Derek this summer how much would the club look for him, i dont know, but to find a replacment who is going to work harder than Derek and also weigh in in with 15 plus goals and 10 assists from LM over the season will cost Hibs millions to get that kind of player, look at Aiden McGeady, works very hard for his team, but his final ball is most of the time woeful, maybe 6 goals and 8 assists for this season and Celtic are looking for about 6 million for him, Crazy eh.
So i really hope that Derek Riordan is a Hibs player next season and he gets to be up there with the past legends who have played for Hibs F.C. and scored over 100 goals for the club. It would be a great honour for him, and brillant for the Hibs fans to see a modern day footballer who has played for Hibs and scored over 100 goals for the club as well. I know i would be delighted. :thumbsup:

silverhibee
18-04-2010, 12:09 AM

And what if Derek wants to stay at Hibs, should he let the club force him out, i doubt it, and i doubt Hibs can afford to have Derek sitting in the stand all next season either,if he is there i think Yogi would play him.

silverhibee
18-04-2010, 12:14 AM
Has he not been credited with working harder this season, that at any time in his career?:confused:

It would be good to see the stats on how much distance Derek has covered over the season on the pitch, i think a lot off people would be surpised to see how much hard work Derek has put in this season for the team.

silverhibee
18-04-2010, 12:16 AM
If Deeks isn't happy, then he wants to spend some time in the stands. Then he'll get a real idea of what "not happy" is all about! :confused:

I do however agree with him when he states that the pitch isn't condusive to the Hibs gameplan of slick passing, and that our midfield isn't suited to the physical side of things.
He is apparently in breach of his contract though, which says he has to present Hibs in a decent manner or something.
I don't think Hibs will really have a problem with him appealling, its probably to be expected from any member of a union, and is their right.

Who said that. :confused:

silverhibee
18-04-2010, 12:18 AM

Oh Deary me. :bye:

AFKA5814_Hibs
18-04-2010, 12:20 AM
We're more than likely to lose Stokes in the summer, albeit for a good fee, are we all happy to see Hibs losing two strikers who between them are likely to score 40 goals a season? :confused:

We were lucky enough to pick up Stokes after getting rid of Fletcher, no chance of replacing 40 goals a season when Stokes and Riordan leave.

silverhibee
18-04-2010, 12:22 AM

Who has said that Derek wants to leave the club anyway, maybe the board should get there finger out and start getting him signed up on a new and improved contract.:greengrin

silverhibee
18-04-2010, 12:29 AM

and inappropriate

And Emmajayfox comments regarding Derek being stupid is out of order as well, anyway you keep oot of this as yuo are biased when it comes to Deeks. :wink: :greengrin

Westie1875
18-04-2010, 12:29 AM
Who has said that Derek wants to leave the club anyway, maybe the board should get there finger out and start getting him signed up on a new and improved contract.:greengrin

Amen to that, peach of a goal again this weekend. :greengrin

silverhibee
18-04-2010, 12:31 AM
Completely agree, some of the personal abuse aimed at Riordan by Hibs fans is astonishing at times.

We could never afford to replace his goals and assists, he is only at Hibs because of his faults, if he was the full package he'd be nowhere near us.

Agree.

silverhibee
18-04-2010, 12:46 AM
Amen to that, peach of a goal again this weekend. :greengrin

A cracker. :top marks :notworthy:

emmjayfox
18-04-2010, 12:48 AM
And Emmajayfox comments regarding Derek being stupid is out of order as well, anyway you keep oot of this as yuo are biased when it comes to Deeks. :wink: :greengrin

well hes no the brightest thats for sure.:wink:

silverhibee
18-04-2010, 01:03 AM
well hes no the brightest thats for sure.:wink:

Take it you have spent time in his company then to come away with that statement. :wink:

matty_f
18-04-2010, 01:37 AM
It would be good to see the stats on how much distance Derek has covered over the season on the pitch, i think a lot off people would be surpised to see how much hard work Derek has put in this season for the team.

:top marks

This claim that Deek doesn't work hard is a total myth IMHO.Every game I've seen him this season he's tried as hard as anyone else.

YetholmHibee
18-04-2010, 02:11 AM

This claim that Deek doesn't work hard is a total myth IMHO.Every game I've seen him this season he's tried as hard as anyone else.

:faf:

. . . . to the half way line!

I would like to seat next to you & all Riordan lovers & point out when he does not track back . . . . it's like selective moments!

weonlywon6-2
18-04-2010, 07:21 AM
Who said that. :confused:

are you derek riordan by any chance?

HFC 0-7
18-04-2010, 07:28 AM
Sorry for not replying sooner, Dereks form this season has been up and down, like most of the players in the team over the season, at the start Derek looked like he was going to have a great season, POTM award and called up to the Scotland squad and playing in left midfield he was doing great i would say up until the game at Ibrox where he was dropped for that game, since then his form has been up and down, maybe by this time Derek was starting to find the left midfield position a lot harder to do, since he is not used to this position, but i still feel that over all Derek has done okay.
As for Derek being at Hibs next season, i dont see why not, wee keep hearing from Yogi that the fans will have to trust him regarding players or fans favourite's moving on from Hibs, Yogi took a wee gamble playing Derek LM but i think it has paid of for the both of them, 17 goals eight assists so far for Derek this season and its not over yet, i am sure Yogi will be delighted with this as well, maybe Yogi's thinking, well if thats what i got from Deeks in my first season then more hard work from Derek and next season will be even better for him, just a thought worth pondering if Yogi is thinking like that.
Now if Hibs were to try to sell Derek this summer how much would the club look for him, i dont know, but to find a replacment who is going to work harder than Derek and also weigh in in with 15 plus goals and 10 assists from LM over the season will cost Hibs millions to get that kind of player, look at Aiden McGeady, works very hard for his team, but his final ball is most of the time woeful, maybe 6 goals and 8 assists for this season and Celtic are looking for about 6 million for him, Crazy eh.
So i really hope that Derek Riordan is a Hibs player next season and he gets to be up there with the past legends who have played for Hibs F.C. and scored over 100 goals for the club. It would be a great honour for him, and brillant for the Hibs fans to see a modern day footballer who has played for Hibs and scored over 100 goals for the club as well. I know i would be delighted. :thumbsup:

McGeady is actually second in the table for the amount of assists in the SPL this season with 11. Riordan does not feature on this table so has less than 4 assists this season. Riordan gets goals yes, but when he doesnt get goals he is not effective, in fact the goals he gets are largely down to him only, freekicks, long range efforts etc. This is the problem with him IMO, he doesnt seem to play as part of the team, very rarely will you see him being part of a move towards goal that will end up in the net or close. IMO, I think we should keep him, but LM is a crazy position for him because he does not link well, he likes to get the ball and shoot.

Incidentally, no hibs player is on the league table for assists this season which means no hibs player has more than 4 assists in the SPL, which to me, shows that the team is not linking up well. For anyone insterested in the assists this season its here: - http://www.scotprem.com/content/default.asp?page=home_statistics (http://www.scotprem.com/content/default.asp?page=home_statistics)

matty_f
18-04-2010, 08:26 AM
:faf:

. . . . to the half way line!

I would like to seat next to you & all Riordan lovers & point out when he does not track back . . . . it's like selective moments!

Nonsense.

Alfred E Newman
18-04-2010, 08:35 AM
McGeady is actually second in the table for the amount of assists in the SPL this season with 11. Riordan does not feature on this table so has less than 4 assists this season. Riordan gets goals yes, but when he doesnt get goals he is not effective, in fact the goals he gets are largely down to him only, freekicks, long range efforts etc. This is the problem with him IMO, he doesnt seem to play as part of the team, very rarely will you see him being part of a move towards goal that will end up in the net or close. IMO, I think we should keep him, but LM is a crazy position for him because he does not link well, he likes to get the ball and shoot.

Incidentally, no hibs player is on the league table for assists this season which means no hibs player has more than 4 assists in the SPL, which to me, shows that the team is not linking up well. For anyone insterested in the assists this season its here: - http://www.scotprem.com/content/default.asp?page=home_statistics (http://www.scotprem.com/content/default.asp?page=home_statistics)

If Riordan could run about like McGeady as well as being such a prolific goalscorer, he would not be playing for us. He would be plying his trade in the Premiership.It is amazing that we can be critical of someone who has contributed 14 goals this season despite his manager expecting him to more or less play as a wingback, when at the same time we have a defence with more holes in it than a string vest.

aljo7-0
18-04-2010, 09:04 AM
Deeks can't win with a lot of fans in the position he is playing. we all assume that he will score 20 plus goals a season and it looks as if he might just get that this year despite playing in midfield for most of it. He does a lot of tracking back and covering runs. I would be very interested to see what sort of distance he covers in a game - a lot I would guess. He isn't the best tackler in the world but the tracking back definitely helps the team and I don't think he gets the credit for this that he should. Equally if he tracks back and we then break away quickly it's difficult for him to be in a perfect position to score (which is the primary role we all think of him being in). He is probably scoring less goals than he would as an out and out striker - he gets pelters. He is nlot making the goal saving tackles that fans would remember (despite a pile of work tracking runs etc) - he gets pelters. I used to really envy him as he was living my dream and getting paid handsomely for it but having to put up with some of the c**p thrown at him - :bitchy: no thanks.

Sumner
18-04-2010, 02:34 PM

1) he should not have to be tracking back to left back - he should be front 2 with Stokes
2) He's scored 15 goals stuck out left, and works as hard as anyone else.
3) "Riordan lovers", as opposed to "Riordan haters"? :yawn:

Best finisher I've seen at ER in 30+ years of going, going to be driven out, crazy :grr:

BroxburnHibee
18-04-2010, 02:39 PM
1) he should not have to be tracking back to left back - he should be front 2 with Stokes
2) He's scored 15 goals stuck out left, and works as hard as anyone else.
3) "Riordan lovers", as opposed to "Riordan haters"? :yawn:

Best finisher I've seen at ER in 30+ years of going, going to be driven out, crazy :grr:

And it will be exactly the same as last time he left - all ****** moaning about our lack of goals.

Football Manager games have got a lot to answer for :grr: