PDA

View Full Version : Hughes still wants Russell Anderson

Prawn Sandwich
13-04-2010, 06:44 AM
It says it in the Sun, so it must be true!

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/2929563/Hughes-still-wants-Russ.html

Bamba's replacement?

MoantheCabbage
13-04-2010, 06:56 AM
If fit I would take him, really good centre half and reads the game very well

brydekirk
13-04-2010, 07:08 AM
good start if true.

J-C
13-04-2010, 08:03 AM
Obviously having to free up some wages before he can come.

IWasThere2016
13-04-2010, 08:15 AM
I've heard he's returning North - and may have registered his kids for an elite private school in Eberdeen :cool2:

Beefster
13-04-2010, 08:17 AM
Decent SPL-level player but is 32 in October. Would he be a short term fix or part of the 5 year plan?

H18sry
13-04-2010, 08:37 AM
Hughes still wants Russell Anderson
Aye and he also wanted Darren Barr and look what happened there :cool2:

Westie1875
13-04-2010, 08:43 AM
I've heard he's returning North - and may have registered his kids for an elite private school in Eberdeen :cool2:

Why on earth would he want to go back to the sheep at the moment, they are in a far worse state than us (and have even less cash)?

Sandy
13-04-2010, 08:52 AM
Why on earth would he want to go back to the sheep at the moment, they are in a far worse state than us (and have even less cash)?

Russ LOVES Aberdeen, and I am led to believe he has some business interests up there. I will check TQM's comment about Robert Gordon's :wink:

matty_f
13-04-2010, 08:57 AM
I think I remember talk at the time of the deal not being dead, and that there was a strong possibility of something happening with a Scottish club in the summer.

Auckland Hibs
13-04-2010, 08:59 AM

More of a better bet it being Dundee Utd?

Webster is heading back to the Huns in the Summer, ideal replacement IMO.

basehibby
13-04-2010, 09:05 AM
Decent SPL-level player but is 32 in October. Would he be a short term fix or part of the 5 year plan?

32's not THAT old for a centre half. Take Davie Weir at the huns for example - still going strong at 39!

If Anderson has taken care of himself and steers clear of major injuries he could quite possibly go on to mid30s as well - fits in with the experienced character profile Hughes has mentioned as well.

Sandy
13-04-2010, 09:07 AM
More of a better bet it being Dundee Utd?

Webster is heading back to the Huns in the Summer, ideal replacement IMO.

Doubt it, if he comes back to Scotland it will either be us or the Sheep he will go to, with the Dons (if they want/can afford him) being favorites .

Diclonius
13-04-2010, 09:44 AM
That'll be Hearts in for him then.

MB62
13-04-2010, 10:02 AM

As much as I hate to admit I agree with him on anything, this time I have to agree with Neil Lennon when he said 'F*** 5 year plans, I hate that saying, I want a team that wants to do it NOW, not in 5 years' (or words to that affect).

Every year a manager has/wants to build a new team and it's all about what what the present time are doing, not what some of them might do for us in 5 years. For a start, there is very little danger of the manager being with the club in 5 years. He will either be successful and be headhunted, or be useless and given the boot and a new manager brought in to build his team. If a manager is with HIbs for 5 years, I would suggest he has been a failure and we will once again have been mediocre mid table also rans.

Get a team on the park that can do the business each season and forget about what might, or probably wont happen in 5 years time.

Most of these jokers who are picking up a wage with us at the moment better not be here next season, never mind 5 years time :grr:

greenlex
13-04-2010, 10:10 AM
32? He hasnt played much for two or three years so he only has about 29 on the clock. Get him signed as a Bamba replacement. :agree:

Ray_
13-04-2010, 10:39 AM
As much as I hate to admit I agree with him on anything, this time I have to agree with Neil Lennon when he said 'F*** 5 year plans, I hate that saying, I want a team that wants to do it NOW, not in 5 years' (or words to that affect).

Every year a manager has/wants to build a new team and it's all about what what the present time are doing, not what some of them might do for us in 5 years. For a start, there is very little danger of the manager being with the club in 5 years. He will either be successful and be headhunted, or be useless and given the boot and a new manager brought in to build his team. If a manager is with HIbs for 5 years, I would suggest he has been a failure and we will once again have been mediocre mid table also rans.

Get a team on the park that can do the business each season and forget about what might, or probably wont happen in 5 years time.

Most of these jokers who are picking up a wage with us at the moment better not be here next season, never mind 5 years time :grr:

You must have the wrong team, five year plan with Hibs, no way, anybody decent is sold long before that & four of the five years would be, be patient, we have just started rebuilding:dizzy:

IWasThere2016
13-04-2010, 10:50 AM

'North' was north of Derby :wink: I didnt say he was going to Eberdeen :cool2:

IWasThere2016
13-04-2010, 10:53 AM

:top marks

You must have the wrong team, five year plan with Hibs, no way, anybody decent is sold long before that & four of the five years would be, be patient, we have just started rebuilding:dizzy:

No again ..

Russ LOVES Aberdeen, and I am led to believe he has some business interests up there. I will check TQM's comment about Robert Gordon's :wink:

You'll be looking in the wrong place I believe

matty_f
13-04-2010, 12:30 PM

I think a manager should have a 5 year plan, but it shouldn't be at the expense of everything else. He should be looking at the immediate performance of his team and looking at how he can improve it, but there should definitely be something long term in there.:agree:

JimBHibees
13-04-2010, 02:28 PM
I think a manager should have a 5 year plan, but it shouldn't be at the expense of everything else. He should be looking at the immediate performance of his team and looking at how he can improve it, but there should definitely be something long term in there.:agree:

Not sure about 5 year a 2 or 3 year one should be sufficient for the SPL.

matty_f
13-04-2010, 02:52 PM
Not sure about 5 year a 2 or 3 year one should be sufficient for the SPL.

To be honest, they should be covering all of these. The plan shouldn't be restricted but should be about improvement and growth in the short, medium, and long term.

JimBHibees
13-04-2010, 02:58 PM
To be honest, they should be covering all of these. The plan shouldn't be restricted but should be about improvement and growth in the short, medium, and long term.

Completely, just not convinced there is much point of a 5 year plan as if he is really successful the OF or an English team will come calling.

IWasThere2016
13-04-2010, 03:05 PM
Completely, just not convinced there is much point of a 5 year plan as if he is really successful the OF or an English team will come calling.

:agree: - Which could be in our £££s interests also. Besides 5-years is too long with TV deals being re-tendered etc .. what if commitments are made in early years and income goes mid term of the plan?

JimBHibees
13-04-2010, 03:08 PM
:agree: - Which could be in our £££s interests also. Besides 5-years is too long with TV deals being re-tendered etc .. what if commitments are made in early years and income goes mid term of the plan?

Yep completely agree. Any supposed 5 year plan will probably just be a couple of high level goals e.g 4th place or above, qualify for europe, make a cup final sort of things cant imagine it would be much more detailed than that. The converse is that if he is awful he will be punted ala Mixu.

basehibby
13-04-2010, 03:08 PM

Wanting success right now is all very well, but in the real world there are such inconvenient things as player contracts in the way. ie. if a manager thinks a player with a 3 year deal is not up to scratch then he can tell said player he's not in his plans. But if the player replies that he wants to stay and fight for his place in the side then there's very little the manager can do other than hand him an enormous golden handshake to get him to ****** off, or wish him luck and hope he shows some improvement (eg. precisely what happened with Mixu and Alan O'Brien).
It may be that this doesn't matter that much in the splash the cash worlds of the OF and the EPL that Lennon is accustomed to, but for clubs like Hibs where the balance books are constantly under scrutiny from above, it matters very much indeed.
Therefore, no matter how much you or others may fantasise about showing all and sundry the door as soon as the season's over, it just aint gonna happen. And no matter how much Lennon spraffs off a load of reactionary sheight cos he's upset that his team's mince, it won't change the reality that long term planning DOES work and IS needed.

RIP
13-04-2010, 03:58 PM
I'd prefer if the board had a rolling 5-year plan for football sucess

Managers would sign up to that plan, rather than continually reinventing the wheel

Andy74
13-04-2010, 04:11 PM
I'd prefer if the board had a rolling 5-year plan for football sucess

Managers would sign up to that plan, rather than continually reinventing the wheel

The club has one rolling plan, to be as competitive as possible on the pitch within our means, not rocket science and not split into any chunks. They repeat it quite a lot for us.

How can a club really have a 5yr plan when most of the players will be around for 2 to 3 yrs?

It's a constant building job and at all times they are trying to be as competitive as they can be, but football doesn't often work to a plan all the time!

HibbiesandtheBaddies
13-04-2010, 04:24 PM
Wanting success right now is all very well, but in the real world there are such inconvenient things as player contracts in the way. ie. if a manager thinks a player with a 3 year deal is not up to scratch then he can tell said player he's not in his plans. But if the player replies that he wants to stay and fight for his place in the side then there's very little the manager can do other than hand him an enormous golden handshake to get him to ****** off, or wish him luck and hope he shows some improvement (eg. precisely what happened with Mixu and Alan O'Brien).
It may be that this doesn't matter that much in the splash the cash worlds of the OF and the EPL that Lennon is accustomed to, but for clubs like Hibs where the balance books are constantly under scrutiny from above, it matters very much indeed.
Therefore, no matter how much you or others may fantasise about showing all and sundry the door as soon as the season's over, it just aint gonna happen. And no matter how much Lennon spraffs off a load of reactionary sheight cos he's upset that his team's mince, it won't change the reality that long term planning DOES work and IS needed.

Very well put!

HibbyAndy
13-04-2010, 04:26 PM
Very decent player RA, A guy that wears his heart on his sleeve and will put his heid in where it hurts, Decent distribution of the ball too, I wouldnt be to concerned about his fitness either, Decent pre season behind him will do the trick.

Would be vice captain after Murray in no time atall, Gets my vote.

MB62
13-04-2010, 06:21 PM

Like to give any examples of a Hibs manager having a long term plan that worked in recent times?

There's long term planning by the board, and there's long term planning by youth coaches, but as far as a manager is concerned, his long term plan should be looking no further than the following season at best.

Tony Mowbray, who has to be rated as one of our best managers in recent times, bought almost a whole squad from the start of the season to the end of the January transfer window. Not a lot of long term planning in that I wouldn't have thought, especially with the £65,000 a week deal to the end of the season for Keane.

NOLA
13-04-2010, 06:26 PM

davie weir's still doing it in the spl and he's 50 or something like it:wink:

weonlywon6-2
13-04-2010, 06:37 PM
Very decent player RA, A guy that wears his heart on his sleeve and will put his heid in where it hurts, Decent distribution of the ball too, I wouldnt be to concerned about his fitness either, Decent pre season behind him will do the trick.

Would be vice captain after Murray in no time atall, Gets my vote.

:thumbsup::agree:

matty_f
13-04-2010, 06:51 PM

The five year plan should be looking at root and branch issues at the club - improving youth policy, creating scouting networks, improving training practices, succession planning (for the manager!) and so on.

I don't think you can plan 5 years ahead in terms of players and personell, however I would think it would be prudent to be looking at other areas that will have a longer term positive influence on the team and its ability to succeed on the pitch.

HibbyAndy
13-04-2010, 06:53 PM
The five year plan should be looking at root and branch issues at the club - improving youth policy, creating scouting networks, improving training practices, succession planning (for the manager!) and so on.

I don't think you can plan 5 years ahead in terms of players and personell, however I would think it would be prudent to be looking at other areas that will have a longer term positive influence on the team and its ability to succeed on the pitch.

Spot on Matty.

Well put mate.

WindyMiller
13-04-2010, 09:05 PM
http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/1686999 (http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/1686999)

We'll never compete if the wages count.

seanraff07
13-04-2010, 09:07 PM
http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/1686999 (http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/1686999)

We'll never compete if the wages count.

Was thinking the same but if Aberdeen interested then surely we could compete with them?:confused:

DrSpaceMonkey
13-04-2010, 09:12 PM
i'm a good mate of his cousin, i'll ask him at work tomorrow see if he's heard of anything.

i do know he got a vist from him during easter hols :aok:

eastmainsmsh
13-04-2010, 09:29 PM
davie weir's still doing it in the spl and he's 50 or something like it:wink:

So is Larry Kingston :wink:

noseyhibby
13-04-2010, 09:50 PM
Russel Anderson is a good professional and I'd be happy to see him turn out at ER if he can deliver to the standards he is capable. My concern lies more with Yogi and his apparent inability to do anything with the talent at his disposal. Anderson might join the ranks of Miller and co in being talented but unable to deliver when it matters.This problem lies at Yogis feet, and this is, as I say, my main concern.:rolleyes:

Jim44
13-04-2010, 09:58 PM

Plenty of good elite private schools in Auld Reekie. :wink:

monktonharp
13-04-2010, 10:23 PM
do Clough's quotes no just mean anything then?

IWasThere2016
13-04-2010, 11:42 PM
Russel Anderson is a good professional and I'd be happy to see him turn out at ER if he can deliver to the standards he is capable. My concern lies more with Yogi and his apparent inability to do anything with the talent at his disposal. Anderson might join the ranks of Miller and co in being talented but unable to deliver when it matters.This problem lies at Yogis feet, and this is, as I say, my main concern.:rolleyes:

:top marks

YetholmHibee
14-04-2010, 12:03 AM

I have already seen what Yogi already has brought in this season - 2 players who left Scottish Football at their peak & have returned a few years later & are not the same.

Stokes & Miller were better when they left Falkirk & Celtic respectively.

Is that what happens when you jump for the money (& the bench & reserve football).

Miller has been burnt out for a few months now & Stokes is struggling (like Riordan).

Do you think Russel Anderson will be any different?

If Ross County & St. Johnstone are not wanting him then Hibs should ignore him :wink:

Passed it & leave it alone!

WindyMiller
14-04-2010, 12:16 AM
I have already seen what Yogi already has brought in this season - 2 players who left Scottish Football at their peak & have returned a few years later & are not the same.

Is that what happens when you jump for the money (& the bench & reserve football).

Miller has been burnt out for a few months now & Stokes is struggling (like Riordan).

If Ross County & St. Johnstone are not wanting him then Hibs should ignore him :wink:

Derby County want him and he appears to have been playing well for them.

Gala Foxes
14-04-2010, 06:53 PM
just what we need - a consistent Aberdeen bottle merchant to tighten our defence.

two steps back rather than one forward

Hibby Kay-Yay
14-04-2010, 08:40 PM

:confused::confused::confused::confused: