PDA

View Full Version : Evening News - "Being Underdogs Will Suit Us"

Gala Foxes
12-04-2010, 08:46 PM
Quotes from John Hughes in the Evening News tonight - "being underdogs" would suit Hibs & "maybe all this talk of Europe has frightened some of them"

Sorry but I am looking for a bit better than that - getting pumped at Hamilton, losing at Ross County, losing to a pish Hearts team and losing 8 goals to St Johnstone is a great way of setting yourself up as an underdog.

Poor wee frightened laddies - grow up and take some responsibility

seanraff07
12-04-2010, 08:48 PM
Quotes from John Hughes in the Evening News tonight - "being underdogs" would suit Hibs & "maybe all this talk of Europe has frightened some of them"

Sorry but I am looking for a bit better than that - getting pumped at Hamilton, losing at Ross County, losing to a pish Hearts team and losing 8 goals to St Johnstone is a great way of setting yourself up as an underdog.

Poor wee frightened laddies - grow up and take some responsibility

I think it's also frightened Yogi aswell as the players.

Feed McGraw
12-04-2010, 09:15 PM
Good grief, they are easily frightened are they not ? Maybe he should break it to the wee lambs a bit gentler - something maybe along the lines of : " Look boys , it`s just one wee day trip to Estonia or Latvia or the like at the beginning of July, then we can relax again."

Alfred E Newman
12-04-2010, 09:23 PM
More unbelievable nonsense from Yogi. You couldn`t make it up.

Jim44
12-04-2010, 09:44 PM
"Being Underdogs Will Suit Us"

They couldn't perform when he was talking them up for third spot and now he expects them to perform by announcing they are cr@p. Hughes gets more embarrassing and cringeworthy than you would think possible. He got away with it and fooled us into a sort of comfort zone when things were going comparatively smoothly, but now everything is going tits up and we're going into freefall. I think we're going to see some humdinger results in the last five games. :bitchy:

truehibernian
12-04-2010, 09:54 PM
Could also be down to some first team players being told a few weeks ago that they were free to go in the summer and their contracts are not getting renewed/reviewed. I get the feeling some players are making a wee fool of Hughes (but have been found out)........all will become clear in summer IMO and I think there will be some eye brows raised when certain players are shown the door. I was bitterly unhappy at the weekend regards the result, however I am now pretty sure that despite his usual rhetoric, Hughes is now getting to grips with who is staying and who is a waste of a jersey. I suppose it does take time and some bad results to see that though (sadly). Will the board be so lenient to that approach though.......jury is out !

Risboro Hibby
12-04-2010, 10:05 PM
I am also thinking that some of the players are blowing the chance of Europe, cause if we finish 4th it means they have to come back early from their summer hols.

truehibernian
12-04-2010, 10:12 PM
I am also thinking that some of the players are blowing the chance of Europe, cause if we finish 4th it means they have to come back early from their summer hols.

Trust me, that implies that some of the Hibs team have brains and have been taken time to think about such a plan. I think it's far far more simple and basic. Some have been told to find new clubs and that their futures are not at Hibernian. Some because it is very real and true, others because Hughes has perhaps looked for a positive reaction and some professionalism and graft. It has backfired spectacularly. But you live and learn as they say.

Diclonius
13-04-2010, 11:21 AM

For the first time, I actually think that could be more plausible than it sounds. :bitchy:

Andy74
13-04-2010, 11:26 AM
So, Hughes is wrong when he says the players are working hard and it's just not happening and then he is wrong when he says maybe the players do not have the mentality to handle what's being asked of them.

Given he has to attend conferences and briefings what is that he should say?

--------
13-04-2010, 11:28 AM

A fair number of them should be spending the close season looking for employment.

It's a terrible prospect to look forward to when you're sunning yourself in the Mediterranean sun - coming back to "work" at kicking a ball around and playing a game, being paid four figures of cash a week, with a free car thrown in, and the opportunity to make yourself the hero of the fans if you play well....

IWasThere2016
13-04-2010, 11:40 AM

But he does :bitchy:

NORTHERNHIBBY
13-04-2010, 11:52 AM

That is nearly as toe-curling as when JC and TC did that comedy ventiloquist act.:confused::blah:

Hibby 2005
13-04-2010, 12:08 PM
I don't get it. Are we the underdogs against Hearts and Motherwell too? Shouldn't it be the other way around?

Jamesie
13-04-2010, 12:23 PM

Hadn't thought about that but nothing would surprise me.

ehf
13-04-2010, 12:30 PM
I'm accustomed to Hughes' inane gibberish but this made my blood boil. Truth is he has reduced a promising season to an embarrassing shambles and hasn't got a clue what to do about it. We have been underdogs in every game we've played since the turn of the year because of his inability to field an organised, efficient, motivated side and to instil any confidence in the players. If he thinks we are staring at anything other than five staright defeats post-split he is even more deluded than I thought.

Beefster
13-04-2010, 12:31 PM
So, Hughes is wrong when he says the players are working hard and it's just not happening and then he is wrong when he says maybe the players do not have the mentality to handle what's being asked of them.

"The boys have given it a right, right, good go this season and they've been great for me. Having said that, they've been pish and I'll be binning most of them in the summer.

Once I've got the new players I need, I'll be playing them in a 4-4-2, free-flowing, silky soccer style but make no mistake, 4-3-3 with tons of hoofball up to Nish will be my preferred tactic of choice."

Phil D. Rolls
13-04-2010, 12:43 PM
Yogi, shut up.

basehibby
13-04-2010, 12:44 PM

What I find unbelievable is the reactions of some of the posters on here - trying to pick holes in every word Hughes says. Is it just me that finds all this a bit nauseating :confused:

Hughes is just being Hughes IMO - relentlessly positive and open about his thoughts in his dealings with the press. He has been like this since day one although some are now trying to use it as another stick to beat him with.

I can see plenty cause for criticism re recent performances on the park and Hughes' part in that - I don't see any great problems with what he's been saying in the press though. It's quite possible to build an argument against just about any statement if you're of a mind to and it seems that some on here simply cannot help themselves :dunno:

basehibby
13-04-2010, 12:47 PM
I'm accustomed to Hughes' inane gibberish but this made my blood boil. Truth is he has reduced a promising season to an embarrassing shambles and hasn't got a clue what to do about it. We have been underdogs in every game we've played since the turn of the year because of his inability to field an organised, efficient, motivated side and to instil any confidence in the players. If he thinks we are staring at anything other than five staright defeats post-split he is even more deluded than I thought.

Just glad you're nowhere near the dressing room with a negative defeatist attitude like that.

Get yer facts right by the way - it was February before things started to go awry - still on Smeltic's coat tails up to that point.

Phil D. Rolls
13-04-2010, 12:50 PM

Yogi is going through the book of football manager cliches systematically. I fully expect someone to describe him as "ashen faced" very soon.

Just glad you're nowhere near the dressing room with a negative defeatist attitude like that.

Get yer facts right by the way - it was February before things started to go awry - still on Smeltic's coat tails up to that point.

Who's to say what our form would be like if we had a negative, defeatist attitude? We might just go into freefall, losing heavily to teams we should beat, and, er......

BT58
13-04-2010, 12:54 PM
so in essensce,,,,if we do get the last qualifying spot for europe, what time /ie holidays do the players get, if this europa cup thingy starts in july
would said players no have to be back in full training sometime in june
also thought that new transfer window does not open till august, does that mean yogi would have to rely on players he wants rid off
confused dot com
only hypothetical speaking, as in the form were in at the moment,we could end up 6th :boo hoo::boo hoo::boo hoo:
hb

lyonhibs
13-04-2010, 01:02 PM
Yogi's interviews started off inspirational, became funny, started to be tiresome and are now just plain embarrassing

basehibby
13-04-2010, 01:11 PM
Yogi is going through the book of football manager cliches systematically. I fully expect someone to describe him as "ashen faced" very soon.

Who's to say what our form would be like if we had a negative, defeatist attitude? We might just go into freefall, losing heavily to teams we should beat, and, er......

We sure as hell wouldn't turn things round anyway!

basehibby
13-04-2010, 01:14 PM
so in essensce,,,,if we do get the last qualifying spot for europe, what time /ie holidays do the players get, if this europa cup thingy starts in july
would said players no have to be back in full training sometime in june
also thought that new transfer window does not open till august, does that mean yogi would have to rely on players he wants rid off
confused dot com
only hypothetical speaking, as in the form were in at the moment,we could end up 6th :boo hoo::boo hoo::boo hoo:
hb

The new transfer window opens as soon as the season's finished and usually finishes at the end of August.

Phil D. Rolls
13-04-2010, 03:28 PM
We sure as hell wouldn't turn things round anyway!

Are you saying fans negativity is the cause of the collapse?

IWasThere2016
13-04-2010, 03:30 PM

Just the no real wans! :wink:

Woody1985
13-04-2010, 04:14 PM
"Being Underdogs Will Suit Us"

They couldn't perform when he was talking them up for third spot and now he expects them to perform by announcing they are cr@p. Hughes gets more embarrassing and cringeworthy than you would think possible. He got away with it and fooled us into a sort of comfort zone when things were going comparatively smoothly, but now everything is going tits up and we're going into freefall. I think we're going to see some humdinger results in the last five games. :bitchy:

Maybe he's simply trying a different tact as the first response he got never had the desired result...

I'm personally looking to the transfer window to see who we can move on and get in to replace them. We can then make judgements on Yogi and the direction Hibs are moving in at that time I reckon.

stubru59
13-04-2010, 04:30 PM
Might not a period of purdah be Hughes's best bet?

basehibby
13-04-2010, 04:33 PM

I actually said "Just glad you're nowhere near the dressing room with a negative defeatist attitude like that"
...so was stating that an attitude like ehf's in the dressing room would be disastrous.

But now you mention it, negativity from the stands, while not the CAUSE of any colapse certainly doesn't help anyone but the opposition. Players and managers are always talking about "getting their fans on their backs" in the lead up to big away fixtures and many teams must be delighted at just how easy that proves to be at ER.

Don't ask me what the answer is though - we've always had plenty of whingers at ER and sadly at the moment they actually have plenty to moan about. All the rest of us can do is do our best to rally round the team and hope that they'll find it in themselves to reward us with winning attitudes and performances.

Phil D. Rolls
13-04-2010, 04:34 PM
Might not a period of purdah be Hughes's best bet?

If he bet on that he'd be skint. There is no way Yogi can keep his trap shut.