PDA

View Full Version : Competitions Split fixtures

HibeeMG
12-04-2010, 05:32 PM
We all know that the split is unfair in regards to home and away games being uneven.

IIRC each team is seeded and if all twelve teams end up in the correct half of the table after the three rounds of games before the split then all teams will end up with the same amount of home and away games.

Can someone tell me why though, when the league doesn't fall according to plan, we can't arrange the fixtures so that each team completes it's home or away game against the other five teams in it's half of the league?

seanraff07
12-04-2010, 05:43 PM
We all know that the split is unfair in regards to home and away games being uneven.

IIRC each team is seeded and if all twelve teams end up in the correct half of the table after the three rounds of games before the split then all teams will end up with the same amount of home and away games.

Can someone tell me why though, when the league doesn't fall according to plan, we can't arrange the fixtures so that each team completes it's home or away game against the other five teams in it's half of the league?

I don't think it is allowed that after the split, for a team to have 4 away games or 4 home games, this means that each team has to play either 3 home and 2 away, or 2 home and 3 away, this is what Motherwell had to do cause if they had played us at ER they would have had to play 4 away games after the split and just the 1 home game, i don't think this is allowed.

HibeeMG
12-04-2010, 05:48 PM
I don't think it is allowed that after the split, for a team to have 4 away games or 4 home games, this means that each team has to play either 3 home and 2 away, or 2 home and 3 away, this is what Motherwell had to do cause if they had played us at ER they would have had to play 4 away games after the split and just the 1 home game, i don't think this is allowed.

I didn't know that was the ruling.

I don't know why anyone would have cause for complaint though because we essentially split into two different leagues. If all 6 teams had played 2 home and 2 away games against the other 5 in their 'league' then that seems fairer to me.

Yeah, it would be a bit of an Alan ******* to have 4 away games on the trot but thems the breaks.

seanraff07
12-04-2010, 05:54 PM
I didn't know that was the ruling.

I don't know why anyone would have cause for complaint though because we essentially split into two different leagues. If all 6 teams had played 2 home and 2 away games against the other 5 in their 'league' then that seems fairer to me.

Yeah, it would be a bit of an Alan ******* to have 4 away games on the trot but thems the breaks.

They could easily accomodate that though by having 2 away, 1 at home then 2 away again, suppose that would be too easy a solution for the SFA to come up with though.

Argylehibby
12-04-2010, 08:15 PM
You are forgetting the financial element though. Teams keep their home gate money so if you ended up playing 4 away the cash coming into the club would be reduced which would be very unfair. Its not just the normal ticket prices, it's also the corporate income, advertising etc. Lots of dosh that clubs cant afford to lose out on.

Its also unfair in that most teams do better at home so playing extra games away from home reduces their chance of picking up points, could cost them financially in terms of league position. If Hibs got relegated but only played 17 home games would you think thats OK especially if they dipped out by 1 point against a team who played 21 at home? (not sure if that could happen but suspect it could if you played 16 at home pre-split and happened to be in the same 6 as 4 teams you played at home.)

In addition if Hibs for example got 4 away games would you as a fan not feel a bit hacked off? You pay for a season ticket yet get fewer games than you paid for + have to pay for the extra away game as well?