PDA

View Full Version : Motherwell complaining to SFA about fixtures

Diclonius
12-04-2010, 04:05 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/default.stm

And quite right too.

Surely even the probability that someone could get an 18-20 split is farcical - how the **** did UEFA sanction this?

Hopefully enough of a fuss is created to abandon this crappy setup once and for all.

seanraff07
12-04-2010, 04:12 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/default.stm (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/default.stm)

And quite right too.

Surely even the probability that someone could get an 18-20 split is farcical - how the **** did UEFA sanction this?

Hopefully enough of a fuss is created to abandon this crappy setup once and for all.

Probably cause they couldn't care less about the SPL.:brickwall

GloryGlory
12-04-2010, 04:33 PM
Are they complaining about 3 home games against Hibs, too?

CB_NO3
12-04-2010, 04:35 PM
Our league is a farce. Its so unfair its embarassing

Hibernian Verse
12-04-2010, 05:44 PM
Have Rangers/Celtic got an equal 19/19?

HibbyAndy
12-04-2010, 05:48 PM
Are they complaining about 3 home games against Hibs, too?

Correct.

seanraff07
12-04-2010, 05:50 PM
Have Rangers/Celtic got an equal 19/19?

Celtic are 19/19, and Rangers are 18/20 so i suppose it's not just us that have been shafted.

davym7062
12-04-2010, 06:03 PM
Celtic are 19/19, and Rangers are 18/20 so i suppose it's not just us that have been shafted.

dont be fooled. only doing that cause rangers have won the league already it wouldnt have happened if it was close

Sir David Gray
12-04-2010, 06:09 PM
I don't suppose they are complaining about having Hibs three times at home but the fact remains that they are right to complain about this absolutely ludicrous set up.

It's nonsensical, a complete farce and just makes our league look ridiculous to any onlookers.

It's time the people in charge of Scottish football listened to the fans, and I mean REALLY listened not just the usual lip service, and brought our whole game into the 21st century.

The way it's going just now, it's dying on its feet.

AFKA5814_Hibs
12-04-2010, 06:10 PM

Rangers are 19/19. The only two clubs to have an uneven split are Motherwell 18/20 and Aberdeen 20/18.

seanraff07
12-04-2010, 06:11 PM
dont be fooled. only doing that cause rangers have won the league already it wouldnt have happened if it was close

Suppose, and it will be Celtic that have the equal games and not Rangers just to make them feel better.:boo hoo:

Ed De Gramo
12-04-2010, 06:12 PM
Couldn't give a toss about Motherwell's plight...that park is honkin

Danderhall Hibs
12-04-2010, 06:17 PM
Rangers are 19/19. The only two clubs to have an uneven split are Motherwell 18/20 and Aberdeen 20/18.

Presumably that's due to them not finishing in the half the SPL bosses guessed they'd finish in?

AFKA5814_Hibs
12-04-2010, 06:21 PM
Presumably that's due to them not finishing in the half the SPL bosses guessed they'd finish in?

:agree:

The only difference between the top 6 this season and last season is Motherwell for Aberdeen.

Prof. Shaggy
12-04-2010, 06:54 PM
It would make a lot more sense, if they want a split, to do it after 22 games.
Then the top and bottom halves would play each other home and away and there is no problem.
It seems too simple a solution, though.

Hibs Class
12-04-2010, 07:02 PM
Then the top and bottom halves would play each other home and away and there is no problem.

It would prevent this specific situation, but would result in a league comprising only 32 games, which would probably be seen as too few. It would be better having a league of 18 teams playing home and away once only, total of 34 games.

lapsedhibee
12-04-2010, 07:05 PM

That would reduce the league season from 38 matches to 32 though. Too short, non? :dunno:

iwasthere1972
12-04-2010, 07:10 PM
Motherwell expect to lose £200K because they will not be facing Celtic at Fir Park.

I find that hard to believe as let's face it Celtic's season is over and I couldn't see any more than about 2-3,000 of their fans turning up. Add the non season ticket holders of Motherwell to that figure and you're lucky if it would exceed 4,000.

£100K tops I would imagine less police and staffing costs. I would say nearer £70K than £200K.

Anyway they have the bonus of playing us for a third time at Fir Park and that can't be right either.

So up them. :devil:

bubblesmorrison
12-04-2010, 07:17 PM
the best idea would be to get away from the split and do a 16 or 18 team top league i think ross county and raith have showed this season theres not to much diffrence between the tops 1st division clbs and anyone else. so why not

jakedance
12-04-2010, 07:24 PM
The split has been farcial since day 1. It's not a league unless you play the same teams an equal number of times home and away. Scottish fitba is dying on it's arse and our governing bodies are doing nothing about it. Non old-firm fans are second class citizens, you only have to consider the treatment of Ross County's fans on Saturday to see that.

Carheenlea
12-04-2010, 07:27 PM
Does anyone know if our League set-up is replicated anywhere else in the world?

The fact that no other "serious" football nation appears to use this system should suggest to the clowns running our game that it is a joke. Plus, in an age when clubs are struggling to get fans to attend games they ask you to buy ST`s where you have no idea of what the most important fixtures of the season are until April.

Let`s face it, if the imbeciles running our game think that a league where the team in 7th invariably finish with more points than the 6th place team is a great idea, then it is no wonder we are now a mickey mouse footballing nation.

PeeKay
12-04-2010, 07:38 PM
Does anyone know if our League set-up is replicated anywhere else in the world?

The fact that no other "serious" football nation appears to use this system should suggest to the clowns running our game that it is a joke. Plus, in an age when clubs are struggling to get fans to attend games they ask you to buy ST`s where you have no idea of what the most important fixtures of the season are until April.

Let`s face it, if the imbeciles running our game think that a league where the team in 7th invariably finish with more points than the 6th place team is a great idea, then it is no wonder we are now a mickey mouse footballing nation.

Think they have the same/ similar set-up in Austria. Gordon Smith played in Austria which is why he was one of the first to advocate it while still a BBC pundit.

Jonnyboy
12-04-2010, 07:49 PM
That would reduce the league season from 38 matches to 32 though. Too short, non? :dunno:

Not if they revamped the League Cup to it's old group format :wink:

Mibbes Aye
12-04-2010, 07:58 PM
There's a bigger picture being missed here.

Remove the split and we lose a huge number of potential thread topics/reasons for having a go at the manager, board and players/reasons for getting behind the manager, board and players.

We would be cutting our own throats :greengrin

London Hibs FC
12-04-2010, 08:10 PM
It would prevent this specific situation, but would result in a league comprising only 32 games, which would probably be seen as too few. It would be better having a league of 18 teams playing home and away once only, total of 34 games.

This with a revamped League Cup, for me anyway, seems the best proposition!

Prof. Shaggy
12-04-2010, 08:11 PM

That was the way I saw it.:agree:

Vini1875
12-04-2010, 08:16 PM
It's all well and good blaming the SFA and SPL but it is the clubs who are making the decisions.

Playing each other once at home and once away is the ideal from a fans point of view. It would make the big games at ER proper big games and those crappy away games would be easier to do if you only had to do it once. But the truth is many clubs will bend over backwards to have the OF calling twice each as it also brings the TV money etc. I would like to see a vote where the clubs who voted against could be known and could explain to their own fans why they voted against expansion and playing less games.

sahib
12-04-2010, 08:24 PM
The split may be stupid, but it was an attempt to breath some life into a league that was dead, for most clubs, half way through the season. Removing the split may be fine but it is not a cure for all the ills of Scottish football.

mim
12-04-2010, 08:32 PM
14 team league, split after 26 games.
6 home and away against teams in same half = 38 games.

Same number of games as now and everyone plays 19 home and 19 away.

Too easy??

Will the bottom 7 survive with only two games against each of the OF - will turkeys vote for Christmas?

Mibbes Aye
12-04-2010, 08:43 PM
The split may be stupid, but it was an attempt to breath some life into a league that was dead, for most clubs, half way through the season. Removing the split may be fine but it is not a cure for all the ills of Scottish football.

:agree:

Too easy??

Will the bottom 7 survive with only two games against each of the OF - will turkeys vote for Christmas?

The switch to four games a season benefitted the OF and was in the short-term interests of the rest. It would take a leap of faith for those running clubs to vote for a system like you've described. It's quite possibly an improvement but are there enough people prepared to take the short-term risk for the long-term overall gain?

basehibby
12-04-2010, 08:45 PM
Couldn't give a toss about Motherwell's plight...that park is honkin

:top markswith the state of their pitch they're lucky to be allowed to play ANY games at Fir Park. ER is in a state but resembles a bowling green by comparison.

The only surprise is that the split has actually worked for the good of the game for once in that one less game will be played on that tattie field!

basehibby
12-04-2010, 08:55 PM

Too easy??

:agree: This would be the sensible way forward - we've not really got enough teams of sufficient stature for a consistently competitive 18 team league and a 16 team league doesn't provide enough fixtures.

A 14 team league with a split that would actually be FAIR is the best answer - I'd also make it 2 up 2 down (or at least include a play-off) with a "Shield" or similar bauble awarded to the team finishing top of the bottom half - this would hopefully minimise the number of meaningless end of season fixtures in the bottom half.

col02
12-04-2010, 09:02 PM
I am not in favour of this split pish at all even if it is with a revamped league structure. Make it an 18 team league with a Winter shutdown for a few weeks to give fans a chance to recover from the Christmas period financially as well as the players and pitches a chance to recover a bit. 18 team league with 3 or 4 teams being relegated with a two league set up in the lower divisions which would freshen up the whole of Scottish football. Clubs safe from relegation could then bring in some of their younger players which would improve the game as a whole.

new malkyhib
12-04-2010, 09:47 PM

I liked the League Cup format too, John, but just let it go will ya?:greengrin

Jonnyboy
12-04-2010, 09:50 PM
I liked the League Cup format too, John, but just let it go will ya? :greengrin

Nope :greengrin

The SPL is its current format is boring, repetitive shoight and anything that can help change it is worth bleating on about :greengrin

16 team top Division, play each other home and away once each and leave splits to ballet dancers. 30 league games and a minimum of 6 League Cup games makes it 36 which is more than enough :wink:

blackpoolhibs
12-04-2010, 10:17 PM
Motherwell v Hibs on a thursday night, live on tv. Tremendous planning there.:bitchy:

seanraff07
12-04-2010, 10:20 PM
Motherwell v Hibs on a thursday night, live on tv. Tremendous planning there.:bitchy:

It was Hearts at Tynie last year.:wink:

blackpoolhibs
12-04-2010, 10:24 PM
It was Hearts at Tynie last year.:wink:

Yip. and look at the crowd that night.

seanraff07
12-04-2010, 10:25 PM
Yip. and look at the crowd that night.

It's not about quantity it's about quality, and man that was quality that night.

I think the fact that their was very few of us actually improved the atmosphere, and we still outsang them the whole night.:greengrin

kiwihibby
12-04-2010, 10:44 PM
Don't know if this has been mooted before but if they have to have a split why don't the SPL adopt the way the league is run in Australia. That way top of the league before the split become MINOR winners and after the split thr top 6 play off for the MAJOR title. Don't know if it would work in Scotland but seems to work out OK here. Worth a thought?

monktonharp
12-04-2010, 11:09 PM
Don't know if this has been mooted before but if they have to have a split why don't the SPL adopt the way the league is run in Australia. That way top of the league before the split become MINOR winners and after the split thr top 6 play off for the MAJOR title. Don't know if it would work in Scotland but seems to work out OK here. Worth a thought? it's that when the winner gets a shiny new toilet seat?:greengrin

Prof. Shaggy
13-04-2010, 12:04 AM

My only problem with this is the issue of who sits out each round of games.
If something can be messed up, experience suggests the SPL will mess it up.

16 team top Division, play each other home and away once each and leave splits to ballet dancers.
30 league games and a minimum of 6 League Cup games makes it 36 which is more than enough :wink:
32+6 is also good.
The other little idea to keep the thing exciting would be for teams after the
22-game split only to keep the points won against teams in their own half of the league.
This season's split would have been:-
Rangers P10 W7 D3 L0 Pt24
Celtic P10 W4 D3 L3 Pt15
Hibs P10 W4 D2 L4 Pt14
Dutd P10 W3 D4 L3 Pt13
St J P10 W2 D2 L6 Pt8
M'well P10 W1 D4 L5 Pt7 ...with 10 games left....

Given that Saturday's was our 33rd game of the season, non.

SQHib
13-04-2010, 10:37 AM
After years of this nonsensical split and lots of other teams (inc Hibs before and Saints and Well even now ) complaining , let's watch the rate of progress for change accelerate somewhat quicker now !! :wink:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/r/rangers/8617329.stm

Diclonius
13-04-2010, 11:22 AM
Course, other teams have moaned about it ever since it was introduced, but when the OFGTF have a problem, the SFA have a problem.

Unbelievable.

--------
13-04-2010, 11:37 AM
I don't suppose they are complaining about having Hibs three times at home but the fact remains that they are right to complain about this absolutely ludicrous set up.

It's nonsensical, a complete farce and just makes our league look ridiculous to any onlookers.

It's time the people in charge of Scottish football listened to the fans, and I mean REALLY listened not just the usual lip service, and brought our whole game into the 21st century.

The way it's going just now, it's dying on its feet.

They ARE complaining about the Hibs game being scheduled for election night.

--------
13-04-2010, 11:55 AM
the best idea would be to get away from the split and do a 16 or 18 team top league i think ross county and raith have showed this season theres not to much diffrence between the tops 1st division clbs and anyone else. so why not

16 or 18 teams in the top division? That'd take me back a few years.

But you're absolutely right.

League Cup group sections at the start of the season?

Quarter-Finals home and way as well, John?

And the lower leagues re-organised into Division Two North and Division Two South?

Feeding into bubbles' new Scottish Football League Division One?

We could have a pre-season tournament too - the 4 top scoring teams in the SPL, plus the 2 top scoring teams in Div Two N & S. We could maybe persuade a brewery to sponsor it?

Could work. :devil:

Gatecrasher
13-04-2010, 12:44 PM
Rangers complaining as well now, we'll see what gets done now :cool2:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/r/rangers/8617329.stm (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/r/rangers/8617329.stm)

PeeKay
13-04-2010, 12:54 PM

Do you think the game being on election night will increase or decrease the potential crowd? Motherwell are saying that the crowd will be lower, but I'm not so sure.

Removed
13-04-2010, 01:00 PM
Do you think the game being on election night will increase or decrease the potential crowd? Motherwell are saying that the crowd will be lower, but I'm not so sure.

I don't think the election will have any effect. Anyone that uses that as an excuse for not going is bonkers. The fact that it is on TV and on a Thursday night will no doubt result in a lower crowd than a Saturday.

I think BH's issue is for those travelling distance to get to the game. As usual the paying customer is at the bottom of the pile when they organise games. Total joke as ever. Televised football is ruining our game as a spectator sport.

Joe Baker II
13-04-2010, 02:12 PM

It would be a start if Hibs Board started listening rather than paying lip service, as Vini says too easy to blame SPL/SFA when club Boards who ignore all but the hard core of their own clubs fans are the real problem. And split is relatively minor issue in grander scheme of things.

blackpoolhibs
13-04-2010, 02:21 PM
I don't think the election will have any effect. Anyone that uses that as an excuse for not going is bonkers. The fact that it is on TV and on a Thursday night will no doubt result in a lower crowd than a Saturday.

I think BH's issue is for those travelling distance to get to the game. As usual the paying customer is at the bottom of the pile when they organise games. Total joke as ever. Televised football is ruining our game as a spectator sport.

What he said.:agree:

seanraff07
13-04-2010, 04:38 PM
Rangers complaining as well now, we'll see what gets done now :cool2:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/r/rangers/8617329.stm (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/r/rangers/8617329.stm)

Why are they complaining? Does it really matter they've more or less won the league now anyway.

And no doubt they'll get their own way.

JimBHibees
13-04-2010, 04:58 PM
Why are they complaining? Does it really matter they've more or less won the league now anyway.

And no doubt they'll get their own way.

Just throwing their substantial weight around and putting a marker down for next season.

Golden Bear
13-04-2010, 05:04 PM
"The split" has ALWAYS been a crap system in so far as it's impossible for all clubs to end up with an equal number of home and away fixtures.

So why the *ell did the Clubs agree to it in the first place?

:confused:

iwasthere1972
13-04-2010, 06:31 PM
"The split" has ALWAYS been a crap system in so far as it's impossible for all clubs to end up with an equal number of home and away fixtures.

So why the *ell did the Clubs agree to it in the first place?

:confused:

Motherwell not happy
St Mirren not happy
Rangers not happy.

Are there any other clubs not happy with the fixtures?

About time the format was changed. It's ridiculous that clubs are handed advantages or disadvantages when so much is at stake.

weonlywon6-2
13-04-2010, 06:51 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/default.stm

And quite right too.

imo, i would scrap the split and add teams to the league.

the football on offer in scotland just now is poor and could be a lot better.

a bigger league would help that

The_Sauz
13-04-2010, 07:23 PM
16 or 18 teams in the top division? That'd take me back a few years.

But you're absolutely right.

League Cup group sections at the start of the season?

Quarter-Finals home and way as well, John?

And the lower leagues re-organised into Division Two North and Division Two South?

Feeding into bubbles' new Scottish Football League Division One?

We could have a pre-season tournament too - the 4 top scoring teams in the SPL, plus the 2 top scoring teams in Div Two N & S. We could maybe persuade a brewery to sponsor it?

Could work. :devil:
And no off-side before the 18 yard line :greengrin