PDA

View Full Version : maka having the last laugh

euro Hibby
12-04-2010, 08:01 AM
Since his 4 clean sheets and subsequent dropping Hibs have won 2 out of 15 or something like that. Now sure he had his failings but you do wonder if he could have done a better job ?

seanraff07
12-04-2010, 08:06 AM
Since his 4 clean sheets and subsequent dropping Hibs have won 2 out of 15 or something like that. Now sure he had his failings but you do wonder if he could have done a better job ?

7 actually... Irvine Meadow, Hamilton, Celtic, St.Mirren, Montrose, Killie and Falkirk, but i believe it's just a coincidence definitely.:agree:

jacomo
12-04-2010, 08:13 AM
I've said it all along - Maka has flaws in his game, but also has real potential.

At Hibs we have a choice - do we sign journeymen, or people with talent who need to be nutured? We can't afford the finished article, simple as that.

IMO we needed goalkeeping cover, but this season have signed THREE keepers, without addressing other obvious shortcomings in the squad.

BonnieFitbaTeam
12-04-2010, 08:32 AM
I've said it all along - Maka has flaws in his game, but also has real potential.

At Hibs we have a choice - do we sign journeymen, or people with talent who need to be nutured? We can't afford the finished article, simple as that.

IMO we needed goalkeeping cover, but this season have signed THREE keepers, without addressing other obvious shortcomings in the squad.

The defence, which included Maka, had the joint-best goals against record in the league until Hughes - for absolutely no obvious reason - decided to start chopping and changing it. It wasn't broken so why try to 'fix' it ??

I appreciate that Maka has 'bottle' and concentration issues (although the latter will sort itself out with age, usually) but none of the other keepers on the books fill me with much more confidence. Certainly not Stack.

GlesgaeHibby
12-04-2010, 08:39 AM

He got dropped after we shipped 4 to Rangers in another Makalambay horror show.

7 actually... Irvine Meadow, Hamilton, Celtic, St.Mirren, Montrose, Killie and Falkirk, but i believe it's just a coincidence definitely.:agree:

Irvine Meadow and Montrose? Very good. He wasn't even playing in those games. And when have we kept a clean sheet against Celtic this season?

hibsbollah
12-04-2010, 08:40 AM
The Rangers game at ER did for Maka. He was dropped then IIRC and i dont think we've had a good performance since.

Smith was doing fine, we get hammered at St Johnstone, he gets dropped.

Stack has had two or three bad games now, he'll probably be dropped shortly as well.

I dont care who we go with next, but i'd like him to get an uninterrupted run for a few months to form a proper relationship with a group of 4 defenders that also get an uninterrupted run in the side.

seanraff07
12-04-2010, 08:40 AM
He got dropped after we shipped 4 to Rangers in another Makalambay horror show.

Irvine Meadow and Montrose? Very good. He wasn't even playing in those games.

He mentioned the games we have played since Maka was dropped. Like you say Maka wasn't playing in either of these games therefore their other wins we had since he was dropped.

erskine-hibby
12-04-2010, 08:42 AM

No chance.
Its not the goalkeeper(s) fault that we are on a slump, the whole team is shocking. I can't see how putting a player in who doesn't instill confidence at the best of times would make us anything other than worse....if thats possible?

Jack
12-04-2010, 08:42 AM
I put a post up last week, I think it was, with his stats.

Certainly very impressive when not playing with Rob Jones in the defence.

In many ways it’s a pity his contract is up this summer. I think Yogi has taken the easy / lazy option of just letting his contract run down while at the same satisfying the blood lust of an ignorant* section of the support.

* meant in the nicest possible way :greengrin but aimed at those who used Maka to cover the shortcomings of other, more favoured, players. Even taking into account his obvious mistakes and blunders his, over a period, stats show him to be about the best keeper we’ve had at the club for a long time.

MoantheCabbage
12-04-2010, 08:44 AM
Hahahahahahah what a load of gash.

Maka is rank rotten. FACT

GlesgaeHibby
He mentioned the games we have played since Maka was dropped. Like you say Maka wasn't playing in either of these games therefore their other wins we had since he was dropped.

My mistake, I thought you were saying Maka had played in these games and kept those clean sheets.

seanraff07

In many ways it’s a pity his contract is up this summer. I think Yogi has taken the easy / lazy option of just letting his contract run down while at the same satisfying the blood lust of an ignorant* section of the support.

* meant in the nicest possible way :greengrin but aimed at those who used Maka to cover the shortcomings of other, more favoured, players. Even taking into account his obvious mistakes and blunders his, over a period, stats show him to be about the best keeper we’ve had at the club for a long time.

He could still renew it cause he said he will wait till the end of the season before he thinks about renewing contracts, although it doesn't look like he's going to renew Maka's as he's pretty much 4th choice now.

GlesgaeHibby
12-04-2010, 08:47 AM

The stats show that he has around 5 good games, then chucks one in on the 6th.

Godsahibby
12-04-2010, 08:55 AM

Well folks nothing else to discuss on the issues, it's officially a fact he is rank rotten. Admins can we close this thread.

MoantheCabbage
12-04-2010, 09:03 AM
Well folks nothing else to discuss on the issues, it's officially a fact he is rank rotten. Admins can we close this thread.

Its not an issue, its clear he is 4th choice and wont be offered a new contract.

For anyone to suggest we would be playing better if he were in the team clearly forgets all the previous mistakes he made.

How about concentrating on the squad player's who are currently in the team

Leith Green
12-04-2010, 09:08 AM

Makalamby is a walking horror show of a goalkeeper,I'd fully expect him to get punted at the end of the season, and in my opinion this has been one of the things Hughes has got totally correct.

The "ignorant people" who have "used Maka to cover the short comings of others" is a ridiculous statement to be making with no basis for you to be making( unless you have done some sort of poll at Easter Rd that I missed).. I'd imagine these people have made their judgement based on Makalambys performances over a 2 and a half year period and his 60 appearences..

For me Makalamby lacks too many key goalkeeping attributes to be good enough to play regularly for Hibs, being a 6ft 7" beast of a man isn't worth a sook if you have the heart of a mouse..

Danderhall Hibs
12-04-2010, 09:17 AM
The defence, which included Maka, had the joint-best goals against record in the league until Hughes - for absolutely no obvious reason - decided to start chopping and changing it. It wasn't broken so why try to 'fix' it ??

I appreciate that Maka has 'bottle' and concentration issues (although the latter will sort itself out with age, usually) but none of the other keepers on the books fill me with much more confidence. Certainly not Stack.

Stack was in goals when we had that record.

Well folks nothing else to discuss on the issues, it's officially a fact he is rank rotten.

:agree: I've got no idea why keep harking back to the Maka glory days.

Toaods
12-04-2010, 09:23 AM
For me Makalamby lacks too many key goalkeeping attributes to be good enough to play regularly for Hibs, being a 6ft 7" beast of a man isn't worth a sook if you have the heart of a lion..

... or was that meant to be a chicken ...:wink:

funny thing is , as much as Maka was decreed a bombscare, etc we didn;t lose many goals or games. oh, how times have changed.

yekimevol
12-04-2010, 09:23 AM
I prefer maka over stack and smith. True he has major decisions making problems, concentration problems and does bottle it from time to time. But he comes out for the ball, reasonable shot stopper and his height is an advantage in a small team.

Leith Green
12-04-2010, 09:28 AM
... or was that meant to be a chicken ...:wink:

funny thing is , as much as Maka was decreed a bombscare, etc we didn;t lose many goals or games. oh, how times have changed.

Meant to be mouse ...

Toaods
12-04-2010, 09:30 AM
Meant to be mouse ...

nah, defo chicken...

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/chicken-hearted (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/chicken-hearted)

:bye:

Leith Green
12-04-2010, 09:37 AM
nah, defo chicken...

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/chicken-hearted (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/chicken-hearted)

Nah defo meant mouse

http://warriors.wikia.com/wiki/Clan_Terminology (http://warriors.wikia.com/wiki/Clan_Terminology)
Look under insults/exclamations section

hibeemark
12-04-2010, 10:01 AM
Stack has been one of the few consistent performers of the season. He was dropped through injury, not because he was unreliable. Makalambay on the other hand, is guaranteed to provide a controversial moment each time he dons the gloves. He receives criticism exactly because, unlike Stack, he isn't a reliable keeper.

The only game I can recall being disappointed in Stack, was the recent match against Hearts - he made two very poor errors of judgement, one of which cost us a goal, another one (coming out of his box) which would've cost us too against any half-decent team.

It was a derby game, so of course Stack is entitled to take some flak for that, but as I say, unlike Makalambay, these errors in judgement don't occur EVERY time he plays. :grr:

So no, I think this thread is way off the mark, bordering on a wind-up. We lost 4-1 at the weekend, but did you see the saves Stack made? It could have been many more without his quick reactions to save us, and of course I'm not saying Makalambay couldn't have made those saves equally well, but in all probability we would've had our share of typical Maka 'heart in mouth' incidents too, as he juggled or fumbled the ball at critical moments (judging by past Makalambay performances).

The two penalties on saturday were world class in my opinion, and the third goal was a total peach. That cutting edge Hamilton displayed (and our lack of it) was what cost us the game, not the goalkeeper. :tsk tsk:

HUTCHYHIBBY
12-04-2010, 10:07 AM
Since his 4 clean sheets and subsequent dropping Hibs have won 2 out of 15 or something like that. Now sure he had his failings but you do wonder if he could have done a better job ?No!

oldbutdim
12-04-2010, 10:11 AM

I often wonder if he should have had a different job.

Toaods
12-04-2010, 10:21 AM
Nah defo meant mouse

http://warriors.wikia.com/wiki/Clan_Terminology (http://warriors.wikia.com/wiki/Clan_Terminology)
Look under insults/exclamations section

never heard that in my puff but happy to conceded ground in the name of a draw...:cheers:

Jack
12-04-2010, 10:21 AM
Makalamby is a walking horror show of a goalkeeper,I'd fully expect him to get punted at the end of the season, and in my opinion this has been one of the things Hughes has got totally correct.

The "ignorant people" who have "used Maka to cover the short comings of others" is a ridiculous statement to be making with no basis for you to be making( unless you have done some sort of poll at Easter Rd that I missed).. I'd imagine these people have made their judgement based on Makalambys performances over a 2 and a half year period and his 60 appearences..

For me Makalamby lacks too many key goalkeeping attributes to be good enough to play regularly for Hibs, being a 6ft 7" beast of a man isn't worth a sook if you have the heart of a mouse..

Hibs goalkeeping stats (from ESPN)

Maka
Played 59; goals conceded 56; average 0.95 goals per game.

Stack
Played 22; goals conceded 25; average 1.14 goals per game.

Smith
Played 11; goals conceded 17; average 1.55 goals per game.

This season, SPL
With Maka
Played 6; goals conceded 7; average 1.16 goals per game.

Without Maka
Played 27; goals conceded 36; average 1.33 goals per game.

So, like I said, even with his mistakes, over the piece, he’s as good as we have.

What's better/worse; making a mistake every half dozen or so games or conceding 1 or 2 goals more over that 6 games?

There have been around 10 games since the huns beat us at ER where we’ve drawn or lost by the odd goal. So on average Maka would have cost us points in one of these games but could have saved us points in possibly 2 or 3.

There are too many folk who allow their judgement to be clouded by [individual] mistakes he’s made rather than taking a look at the bigger picture.

BTW the Monks average was 1.17.

KWJ
12-04-2010, 10:23 AM
I reckon Smith, Stack and Brown are all better keepers than Maka. He may have potential but at the suggested wage he's on, I'd rather he found it elsewhere.

euro Hibby
12-04-2010, 10:39 AM
difficult to argue with the stats which are hard facts....... I think Stack is crap, Smith got bombed from Brighton and in the end like it or not Maka is the best we have got.......but then again what do I know I have only got just over 500 posts.

blackpoolhibs
12-04-2010, 10:46 AM
I think we miss Gordon Marshall, we never had any of these problems when he was there.

bawheid
12-04-2010, 10:50 AM

Maka

Stack

Smith

This season, SPL
With Maka

Without Maka

So, like I said, even with his mistakes, over the piece, he’s as good as we have.

What's better/worse; making a mistake every half dozen or so games or conceding 1 or 2 goals more over that 6 games?

There have been around 10 games since the huns beat us at ER where we’ve drawn or lost by the odd goal. So on average Maka would have cost us points in one of these games but could have saved us points in possibly 2 or 3.

There are too many folk who allow their judgement to be clouded by [individual] mistakes he’s made rather than taking a look at the bigger picture.

You've got no chance Jack. Most on here have already made up their minds on this one.

hibeemark
12-04-2010, 10:53 AM

Maka

Stack

Smith

This season, SPL
With Maka

Without Maka

But Jack, those stats don't show us key info such as how many shots on target/saves, the back four/the opposition, who was actually at fault etc.

For example, as I said earlier, we lost 4-1 at the weekend to Hamilton as a result of two penalties and a screamer. Hardly Stack's fault, were they?

On the other hand though, using your stats, us losing 2-0 to 1st Division opposition as a result of Maka blunders, would still make Maka a better keeper in your eyes. :crazy:

Do you see what I mean? :dunno:

number 27
12-04-2010, 11:01 AM
I think we miss Gordon Marshall, we never had any of these problems when he was there.

Maybe not. Instead we saw the same basic errors repeated consistently by all our keepers - errors like positioning at free kicks.

I can't recall any goals conceded in that manner this season -can you :dunno:

Newhaven
12-04-2010, 11:08 AM

Your slipping Blackpool - it took you over 2 and a half hours to reply to this thread :tsk tsk:

Jack
12-04-2010, 11:11 AM
You've got no chance Jack. Most on here have already made up their minds on this one.

I know that :greengrin

To be honest I don’t really care who we have in goals, whoever it is will get my full support.

Maka is incredibly annoying though in that he is a laid back character that folk mistake for don’t care attitude and his occasional muck up. I don’t buy that, probably because I’m a bit laid back too.

Without putting a name to keeper(s) who would you rather have over the course of a season? Someone who is likely to concede between 36 and 44 goals or someone who is likely to concede 51? :rolleyes:

Apparently those that don’t want Maka would prefer the 51. I know we all love seeing goals but I hate every goal against Hibs and prefer mine at the other end. :cool2:

Danderhall Hibs
12-04-2010, 11:14 AM
I know that :greengrin

To be honest I don’t really care who we have in goals, whoever it is will get my full support.

Maka is incredibly annoying though in that he is a laid back character that folk mistake for don’t care attitude and his occasional muck up. I don’t buy that, probably because I’m a bit laid back too.

Without putting a name to keeper(s) who would you rather have over the course of a season? Someone who is likely to concede between 36 and 44 goals or someone who is likely to concede 51? :rolleyes:

Apparently those that don’t want Maka would prefer the 51. I know we all love seeing goals but I hate every goal against Hibs and prefer mine at the other end. :cool2:

I'm afraid that's drivel you're spouting. The number of goals a keeper lets in isn't solely down to the keeper!

Leith Green
12-04-2010, 11:15 AM

Maka

Stack

Smith

This season, SPL
With Maka

Without Maka

I was actually going to check what Goram, Leighton and Andersons goals to games ratio were but i cannot find stats which list goals conceded, only goals scored which is of **** all good to me ....

Can anyone provide me with links etc???

Danderhall Hibs
12-04-2010, 11:17 AM
I was actually going to check what Goram, Leighton and Andersons goals to games ratio were but i cannot find stats which list goals conceded, only goals scored which is of **** all good to me ....

Can anyone provide me with links etc???

If Goram let in lots of goals (which he did) and they take him over the desired ratio will that mean that Maka's a better keeper than him?

hibeemark
12-04-2010, 11:20 AM

Possibly because we judge players by watching them perform in the flesh, and evaluating all the relevant details, as oppose to merely quoting statistics that oversimplify the issue? :hmmm:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallacy_of_the_single_cause (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallacy_of_the_single_cause)

Leith Green
12-04-2010, 11:26 AM
If Goram let in lots of goals (which he did) and they take him over the desired ratio will that mean that Maka's a better keeper than him?

According to Jack it would.. But not me

I was looking for these stats to prove that the goals conceded ratio doesnt reflect on the actual goalkeeper, it reflects on the team from where i'm looking..

Toaods
12-04-2010, 11:27 AM

only in as much as a keeper from Arsenal or Celtc reserves must be better and a Brighton reserves is minging.

Hibs90
12-04-2010, 12:18 PM

Hahahahahahahah what a load of gash.

Nade is rank rotten. FACT

Disc O'Dave
12-04-2010, 12:28 PM
I'm afraid that's drivel you're spouting. The number of goals a keeper lets in isn't solely down to the keeper!

Unless of course maka was in goals...in which case they all are, apparently.....:rolleyes:

Leith Green
12-04-2010, 12:32 PM
Unless of course maka was in goals...in which case they all are, apparently.....:rolleyes:

Says who?

Hibs90
12-04-2010, 12:34 PM
Feel sorry for Maka that he won't play for us again but I bet he is relieved. Fans on his back constantly, constant dogs abuse, no wonder he didn't wanna play for us. He has alot of potential IMO and it won't be the last we will see of him.

EskbankHibby
12-04-2010, 12:55 PM

To be honest i think our current predicament has little or nothing to do with any goalkeeping 'situation'.

Maka had a disaster against the Huns but the rest of the team have been playing verly poorly without graft or guile for 2-3 months now.

Having Van Der Saar, Cech and Buffon in goals at the same time wouldn't have changed that.

Jack
12-04-2010, 01:49 PM

You see this is what confuses me with our support. Not having a go against you but for many folk its only that when we’re not discussing Maka. MoantheCabbage being a typical example of the non-thinking mans reply.

Now the reason I’m doing this is not because I want to have Makas babies. :bitchy: I do feel he has been unfairly picked upon by a large and vocal part of our support, unwilling to consider anything but his mistakes – mistakes that no other keeper has ever managed in the history of football of course. :cool2:

Maka is/wiz part of, what I call, the defensive unit and I’m quite happy to go along with that. In doing so you might wish to consider every shot on goal to be failure on that part on the ‘unit’ that’s not wearing gloves.

So, once again calling on stats from ESPN :yawn: http://soccernet.espn.go.com/team?tag=SCO.HIBERNIAN&cc=5739 (http://soccernet.espn.go.com/team?tag=SCO.HIBERNIAN&cc=5739)

Maka
Played 59; saves made 336, saves per game 5.7.

Stack
Played 22; saves made 84, saves per game 3.8.

Smith
Played 11; saves made 50, saves per game 4.5.

So as well as having to deal with more shots on goal the Big #50 Felly still manages to keep his average goals conceded lower than the rest! Just imagine what his stats might be if Big #50 Felly was like Stack and Smith and had a third less shots to deal with.

The Monk was 5.3, suggesting to me anyway, that the defensive unit is considerably better this season than last. Only one major change here then apart from the goalie – hero worship Jones out and Bombscare Bamba in! I’ll be sorry to see him go too.

BTW hibeemark I do go to all the home games so I know what's been happening over the last few years, in the flesh if you like. I also think for stats the great cliché of it evens itself out over time is true, over more games that can be included makes it a more accurate measure. As for playing lower division teams … you mean like Ross County where Stack and Smith were in goals? That should have been to their benefit. :rolleyes:

By the time this thread fades out Yves will be proved to be the best keeper Hibs ever had. :faf:

bawheid
12-04-2010, 02:21 PM
Good work Jack. Things just got interesting....

I'll repeat: Not only did Maka let in fewer goals per game, he had to contend with more shots on goal.

If he hadn't made any blunders at all we'd be looking at a £30m price tag. :cool2:

GlesgaeHibby
12-04-2010, 02:24 PM
Good work Jack. Things just got interesting....

I'll repeat: Not only did Maka let in fewer goals per game, he had to contend with more shots on goal.

If he hadn't made any blunders at all we'd be looking at a £30m price tag. :cool2:

That's because his communication and organisation of the defence is poor :devil:

Andy74
12-04-2010, 02:30 PM

Quite simple really. Maka got blamed for more because he was responsible for more. Out of all the keepers we have had recently Maka has to be the most likeable so there's no other reason than that the others have had an easier time of it because they have given the support little reason to talk about them being responsible for things.

Maka might have all the tools to be a good keeper but as I said to someone the other day, they have all the tools to be a rent boy, doesn't mean they are one.

Jack
12-04-2010, 02:47 PM
That's because his communication and organisation of the defence is poor :devil:

Right OK,

Number of shouts on goal :wink:

euro Hibby
12-04-2010, 03:01 PM
Jacks stats help to show the tangibile against the intangibile. More saves and a better goal ratio. Yes he made mistakes but all defenders make mistakes and indeed all players make mistakes missing tackles and missing easy goals. He is for me and was for me our best shop stopper but hey with the way our lot are playing now he's best sitting in the stand having a chuckle !

Hibee_Lisa
12-04-2010, 03:04 PM
You see this is what confuses me with our support. Not having a go against you but for many folk its only that when we’re not discussing Maka. MoantheCabbage being a typical example of the non-thinking mans reply.

Now the reason I’m doing this is not because I want to have Makas babies. :bitchy: I do feel he has been unfairly picked upon by a large and vocal part of our support, unwilling to consider anything but his mistakes – mistakes that no other keeper has ever managed in the history of football of course. :cool2:

Maka is/wiz part of, what I call, the defensive unit and I’m quite happy to go along with that. In doing so you might wish to consider every shot on goal to be failure on that part on the ‘unit’ that’s not wearing gloves.

So, once again calling on stats from ESPN :yawn: http://soccernet.espn.go.com/team?tag=SCO.HIBERNIAN&cc=5739 (http://soccernet.espn.go.com/team?tag=SCO.HIBERNIAN&cc=5739)

Maka

Stack

Smith

So as well as having to deal with more shots on goal the Big #50 Felly still manages to keep his average goals conceded lower than the rest! Just imagine what his stats might be if Big #50 Felly was like Stack and Smith and had a third less shots to deal with.

The Monk was 5.3, suggesting to me anyway, that the defensive unit is considerably better this season than last. Only one major change here then apart from the goalie – hero worship Jones out and Bombscare Bamba in! I’ll be sorry to see him go too.

BTW hibeemark I do go to all the home games so I know what's been happening over the last few years, in the flesh if you like. I also think for stats the great cliché of it evens itself out over time is true, over more games that can be included makes it a more accurate measure. As for playing lower division teams … you mean like Ross County where Stack and Smith were in goals? That should have been to their benefit. :rolleyes:

By the time this thread fades out Yves will be proved to be the best keeper Hibs ever had. :faf:

You seem to have a problem with Jones you like getting little sly digs in about him.

Andy74
12-04-2010, 03:25 PM
Jacks stats help to show the tangibile against the intangibile. More saves and a better goal ratio. Yes he made mistakes but all defenders make mistakes and indeed all players make mistakes missing tackles and missing easy goals. He is for me and was for me our best shop stopper but hey with the way our lot are playing now he's best sitting in the stand having a chuckle !

I think this goes to show that stats on their own mean bugger all!

Toaods
12-04-2010, 03:29 PM
Stats can mean zip but then again theycamn also mean everything.

Many managers believe in this statistical programme throughout a game that covers almost everything you can think of like miles ran, etc.

Any stats available on the number of ten yards passes incomplete?

:wink:

Jack
12-04-2010, 04:34 PM
You seem to have a problem with Jones you like getting little sly digs in about him.

This is a Maka thread not a Rob Jones thread so, maybe they could be described as sly digs, I’d maybe want to say they were minimalist comments. :wink:

But seeing as you mentioned it. :greengrin Rob Jones was not my favourite Hibby, I don’t think he was a good captain; I don’t think he applied himself to playing for Hibs to the level he was capable of. I thought his training as a teacher might have helped him, as our captain, to get the best from players, I don’t think it helped him at all - I think he transferred the wrong skills. I thought his charges at corners (for us) for example could have been turned into inspirational moments (a la Yogi), it never seemed to happen, bar a few times.

I think his lack of footballing awareness and captaincy skills held back the defence in general and Maka in particular, particularly last season.

In fairness though there were a good number of games previously where he showed very positively just what he was capable of.

I appreciate he had contractual issues with the club and personal issues. Those aside I think he could have, should have done better more often at Hibs as a player and as a captain. Its probably the frustration to what could have been that makes him not my favourite Hibby. TBH I'm just not convinced he cared.

But BTW, he always had my full support when he was with us. :agree:

I think this goes to show that stats on their own mean bugger all!

Andy I agree but what irritates me is that in 60 games Maka has probably had fewer than half a dozen incidents where his ‘blunders’ cost us anything more than a missed heartbeat.

But still there are those on here on here that harp on about them while conveniently ignoring the fact he has been a pretty frugal big bugger as well.

Stats can mean zip but then again theycamn also mean everything.

Many managers believe in this statistical programme throughout a game that covers almost everything you can think of like miles ran, etc.

Any stats available on the number of ten yards passes incomplete?

:wink:

No! :rolleyes:

euro Hibby
12-04-2010, 05:18 PM
so the stats tell us that Hibs have been crap this last 3 months, two wins out of 15, poor possession ratio in the games and probably less shots per game as opposed to the previous 3 months.

Off course Hibs demise is not just due to goalkeeping but the point was that Maka was on a good run before spilling a couple against Rangers and that was his lot. The previous week he had saved us against Motherwell !

I for one think he has been hard done by but as I mentioned he is probably better taking a back seat now than being in the front line ! His time will come again somewhere ........

blackpoolhibs
12-04-2010, 05:23 PM
Straw clutching at its best on Hibs.net.:faf::faf:

euro Hibby
12-04-2010, 05:28 PM
maybe but the stats do suggest otherwise !

HibbyAndy
12-04-2010, 05:39 PM
Makalambay is shight endoff.

He will be gone in the summer.

Deary ****ing dear.

euro Hibby
12-04-2010, 05:41 PM
with who else ?

seanraff07
12-04-2010, 05:44 PM
with who else ?

Half the team if their is a big clearout which most are expecting or hoping anyway.

Danderhall Hibs
12-04-2010, 06:23 PM
Off course Hibs demise is not just due to goalkeeping but the point was that Maka was on a good run before spilling a couple against Rangers and that was his lot. The previous week he had saved us against Motherwell !

He had a couple of good games prior to his clangers (not sure if that's enough to warrant it being called a "run") - that's his pattern though. Over 3 years that's one thing he's consistently done.

I find it hard to believe that folk are pining for the guy.

Long suffering
12-04-2010, 06:27 PM

no. keepers is not our problem. embarrsigly satck played quite qell on saturday

blackpoolhibs
12-04-2010, 07:38 PM
no. keepers is not our problem. embarrsigly satck played quite qell on saturday

Spelling is a problem. :wink:

Disc O'Dave
12-04-2010, 08:02 PM
Says who?

Apologies, I didn't take notes of all the names at the time.

Baldy
13-04-2010, 05:43 AM

YouTube - Dumbest Keeper Ever (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HqaBopoO4U)

nuff said:faf:

Judas Iscariot
13-04-2010, 06:10 AM
Feel sorry for Maka that he won't play for us again but I bet he is relieved. Fans on his back constantly, constant dogs abuse, no wonder he didn't wanna play for us. He has alot of potential IMO and it won't be the last we will see of him.

:agree:

He's available for entertainment for kids parties already..

euro Hibby
13-04-2010, 10:30 AM
one video of one error is not enough. The stats show that he is perhaps the best of the lot as a goalie and if he is not then most would agree that he has the potential to be a fine keeper some day soon. We have changed goalie 3 times this year and nobody can truthfully say they are happy or convinced with what we have got. Believe it or not I am not a fan of Maka , just feel he got shot down to often from his own fans and from the media as he was an easy target.

Franck is God
13-04-2010, 11:44 AM

Maka

Stack

Smith

For the very first time I 100% agree with every point on a post.

I think that being a keeper is more than just making saves, it is the control of your penalty area which is the important part, it decides where your defence are positioned. Because Stack is a 'stand on your line' keeper is that why our defence and midfield are playing deeper than when Maka was in goals, is that why we are giving away so many penalties? If the opposition are kept mainly outside the box then challenges made result in free kicks instead?

I am a big Maka fan, always have been and believe that every goal he conceded was well over analysed and fault found when there was none there. As every stat shows he has a great record yet has been considered a liability regardless of how many games he has performed very well and been a major part in us winning games.

I doubt we will ever see him in a Hibs shirt again mainly thanks to a overly critical media backed up by a large part of our support who clearly have no idea what a good keeper is.

Hibeebor
13-04-2010, 12:02 PM
It's just unfortunate that if a keeper makes a mistake it usually leads to a goal, definatley the most pressurable position in football. Professional outfield players make mistakes all the time, but thanks to there being another 9 players on their team, it's usually not all that costly. For Maka, I think he's been unlucky. Yeah there's been a few howlers, but overall, he's got great reactions and agility. I still think he's a good keeper, definatley up with the three we signed.
In saying that, I don't think there's anyway you can account his absense to our terrible run.

--------
13-04-2010, 12:15 PM

Now the reason I’m doing this is not because I want to have Makas babies. :bitchy:

I do feel he has been unfairly picked upon by a large and vocal part of our support, unwilling to consider anything but his mistakes – mistakes that no other keeper has ever managed in the history of football of course. :cool2:

Maka

Stack

Smith

Not the best we ever had, but nothing like as bad as some folks made him out to be, and a lot better than he was ever given credit for being.

Though all this depends on how well or badly the defence in front of the keeper happens to be playing in any given game. GS, for example, conceded four on Saturday, but was largely responsible for keeping the score down to single figures.... I count 4 or 5 good-to-excellent saves on the highlights at least.

The para in bold says it all for me, really - "I do feel he has been unfairly picked upon by a large and vocal part of our support, unwilling to consider anything but his mistakes – mistakes that no other keeper has ever managed in the history of football of course. :cool2:"

I feel that way too.

euro Hibby
13-04-2010, 03:25 PM
This thread is dedicated then to Hibs Spain who if I am not mistaken tried to defend Maka even sometimes when he was not defendable. Alot of what is said here is similar to what he was saying but was taken as a leg pull. NOw off course we also have stats to prove that Maka was not as bad as some would have us believe !

Andy74
13-04-2010, 03:47 PM
This thread is dedicated then to Hibs Spain who if I am not mistaken tried to defend Maka even sometimes when he was not defendable. Alot of what is said here is similar to what he was saying but was taken as a leg pull. NOw off course we also have stats to prove that Maka was not as bad as some would have us believe !

The stats don't prove anyhting of the sort. They are never going to be able to show anyhing. They are just figures with no context. I'm fairly sure this thread has to be a big wind up as well or people really have gone a bit crazy here.

euro Hibby
13-04-2010, 03:58 PM
no no wind up just reflecting on a season which promised much and went badly wrong. Would it have been better with Maka in goals we will never know for sure ?

basehibby
13-04-2010, 04:01 PM
so the stats tell us that Hibs have been crap this last 3 months, two wins out of 15, poor possession ratio in the games and probably less shots per game as opposed to the previous 3 months.

I for one think he has been hard done by but as I mentioned he is probably better taking a back seat now than being in the front line ! His time will come again somewhere ........

I really wish folk would get their facts right - I won't deny that Hibs have been sheight for the last TWO months (12 games, 2 wins, 2 draws, 8 defeats - now that's what you call SHEIGHT) but for the month or so before that things were looking pretty good (5 wins, 2 draws, 1 defeat) so less of the re-writting of history please!

On the subject of Maka, I always thought he had the potential to be a great keeper IF he could cut out the moments of madness and just concentrate on being a great goalie. Unfortunately, his early season displays under Hughes showed no signs that he was learning from his mistakes. Everyone deserves a chance and Maka has had plenty - so it'll be :bye:and farewell in the close seaon as far as I'm concerned.

Andy74
13-04-2010, 04:07 PM
no no wind up just reflecting on a season which promised much and went badly wrong. Would it have been better with Maka in goals we will never know for sure ?

There was every indication that it would not have been better and suggesting it would have is just unrealisitc nonsense!

He's 4th choice now for a reason and will be off in the summer.

I liked him and thought he could be a top keeper but like the poster before he showed no signs of cutting out the bad moments that he had all too often and we can't afford that.

The stats don't reflect the severity of his mistakes and the fact that yes he could be 90% great and then balls it up time after time. Particulalry at a point when the rest of the team were doing well so he benefits from that in the stats.

euro Hibby
13-04-2010, 04:13 PM
I actually wonder if we were going so well early season ? We fluked a few wins , were kept in games by some good goalkeeping and explain then to me the complete turnaround in form ? The players are the same but the form rank rotten.

Jack
13-04-2010, 04:23 PM
The stats don't prove anyhting of the sort. They are never going to be able to show anyhing. They are just figures with no context. I'm fairly sure this thread has to be a big wind up as well or people really have gone a bit crazy here.

To dismiss the stats outright is failing to take in all the evidence, a bit like HibsSpain denying mistakes when they were made. They do show undeniably that despite his gaffs his overall contribution to the results is/wiz better than the other keepers we have.

I really wish folk would get their facts right - I won't deny that Hibs have been sheight for the last TWO months (12 games, 2 wins, 2 draws, 8 defeats - now that's what you call SHEIGHT) but for the month or so before that things were looking pretty good (5 wins, 2 draws, 1 defeat) so less of the re-writting of history please!

On the subject of Maka, I always thought he had the potential to be a great keeper IF he could cut out the moments of madness and just concentrate on being a great goalie. Unfortunately, his early season displays under Hughes showed no signs that he was learning from his mistakes. Everyone deserves a chance and Maka has had plenty - so it'll be :bye:and farewell in the close seaon as far as I'm concerned.

TBH I think Yogi had already made up his mind before he came here, as I said earlier his laid back attitude did nothing to enhance his reputation.

I think he’ll be off as well and he goes with my best wishes for his future.

basehibby
13-04-2010, 04:54 PM
I actually wonder if we were going so well early season ? We fluked a few wins , were kept in games by some good goalkeeping and explain then to me the complete turnaround in form ? The players are the same but the form rank rotten.

IIRC we weren't so much fluking wins as winning regularly without really dominating matches most weeks. That was down to two things IMO:

1) The back 4 of Murray, Bamba, Hogg and Wotherspoon had a good settled run and were putting in some solid performances and stopping the oppostion from scoring.

2) The forwards - Riordan and Stokes in particular were taking their chances as and when they came along.

It also didn't hurt to have Miller and Zemama regularly featuring and flying at that. McBride settling in nicely at defensive midfield also helped a lot.

The turnaround in form IMo is down to disruption in the defensive line up along with loss of form to key players - and the absence of a fully fit Zemama for most of 2010 should not be discounted either. These things alone don't really justify the dramatic fall in our fortunes though so I, like you, am left scratching my head.

I think a lot of the answer is between the players' own ears - just hope Yogi can resolve it sufficiently between now and the end of the season to clinch the Euro spot.

sesoim
14-04-2010, 12:52 PM
IIRC we weren't so much fluking wins as winning regularly without really dominating matches most weeks. That was down to two things IMO:

1) The back 4 of Murray, Bamba, Hogg and Wotherspoon had a good settled run and were putting in some solid performances and stopping the oppostion from scoring.

2) The forwards - Riordan and Stokes in particular were taking their chances as and when they came along.

It also didn't hurt to have Miller and Zemama regularly featuring and flying at that. McBride settling in nicely at defensive midfield also helped a lot.

The turnaround in form IMo is down to disruption in the defensive line up along with loss of form to key players - and the absence of a fully fit Zemama for most of 2010 should not be discounted either. These things alone don't really justify the dramatic fall in our fortunes though so I, like you, am left scratching my head.

I think a lot of the answer is between the players' own ears - just hope Yogi can resolve it sufficiently between now and the end of the season to clinch the Euro spot.

:agree: Spot on with everything. I can't say I have high hopes of Hughes turning things round this season though. We probably need five good signings, and hopefully we can clear out the correct 10 or 11 players to fund their wages.

euro Hibby
14-04-2010, 02:04 PM
I would add that the pitch condition has not helped our style of play and our wee midfield.

I do also question if the team was prepared athletically to run for the season.
Maybe they peaked too early and ran out of gas in February, a common Hibs failing ?

Newhaven
14-04-2010, 02:55 PM
To dismiss the stats outright is failing to take in all the evidence, a bit like HibsSpain denying mistakes when they were made. They do show undeniably that despite his gaffs his overall contribution to the results is/wiz better than the other keepers we have.

TBH I think Yogi had already made up his mind before he came here, as I said earlier his laid back attitude did nothing to enhance his reputation.

I think he’ll be off as well and he goes with my best wishes for his future.

Sorry dont agree.

Maka's faults were there for everyone in the SPL to see BEFORE Hughes came to Hibs. Like other members of the squad he was probably given a clean sheet at the start of the season.

Anyhow, the straw that broke the camels back was his performance in the December game against Rangers where he sold the jerseys again for us.

Nice guy but in no way a great keeeper. Some fans see him as a jolly guy who's good for signing autographs at half time so therefore he's a class keeper. Sadly that's not the case. Many fans dont need stats to prove he was/wasn't great - they saw his performances week after week in person and made their own judgement.

Best of the wage bill and no way will he play at any higher level than Hibs :bye:

GlesgaeHibby
14-04-2010, 03:10 PM
Sorry dont agree.

Maka's faults were there for everyone in the SPL to see BEFORE Hughes came to Hibs. Like other members of the squad he was probably given a clean sheet at the start of the season.

Anyhow, the straw that broke the camels back was his performance in the December game against Rangers where he sold the jerseys again for us.

Nice guy but in no way a great keeeper. Some fans see him as a jolly guy who's good for signing autographs at half time so therefore he's a class keeper. Sadly that's not the case. Many fans dont need stats to prove he was/wasn't great - they saw his performances week after week in person and made their own judgement.

Best of the wage bill and no way will he play at any higher level than Hibs :bye:

:agree: Pretty well summed up.

scoopyboy
14-04-2010, 03:18 PM
I hope Maka is still laughing when he walks out the door for the last time.

Last laugh, we will see.

TornadoHibby
14-04-2010, 06:21 PM

Aye but that wouldn't tie in with the time accustomed posting style on here of "never letting the truth (facts) get in the way of a good story :wink:)! :agree:

Maka is a decent keeper and with the right coaching and man management will go on to have a decent footballing career at a decent level IMO! :cool2:

I know there are others who disagree but I can live with that! :greengrin

TornadoHibby
14-04-2010, 06:26 PM
Sorry dont agree.

Anyhow, the straw that broke the camels back was his performance in the December game against Rangers where he sold the jerseys again for us.Nice guy but in no way a great keeeper. Some fans see him as a jolly guy who's good for signing autographs at half time so therefore he's a class keeper. Sadly that's not the case. Many fans dont need stats to prove he was/wasn't great - they saw his performances week after week in person and made their own judgement.

Suggest that you watch the highlights again mate as that is not factually correct but merely your opinion! :confused:

Even the 3rd goal where he gave Novo some space at the near post (into which Novo scored) was a no win situation for Maka as Boyd was standing unmarked on the 6 yard line bank in the middle of the goal for a tap in had Novo cut it back for him! :agree:

Had we defended better in front of Maka that day, he might have had a chance of saving that particular one! :wink:

However, I do appreciate that looking at and discussing the facts dispassionately doesn't fit with the "Maka is p*sh" theory that you are promoting! :confused:

hibsbollah
14-04-2010, 06:50 PM
Suggest that you watch the highlights again mate as that is not factually correct but merely your opinion! :confused:

Even the 3rd goal where he gave Novo some space at the near post (into which Novo scored) was a no win situation for Maka as Boyd was standing unmarked on the 6 yard line bank in the middle of the goal for a tap in had Novo cut it back for him! :agree:

Had we defended better in front of Maka that day, he might have had a chance of saving that particular one! :wink:

However, I do appreciate that looking at and discussing the facts dispassionately doesn't fit with the "Maka is p*sh" theory that you are promoting! :confused:

I defended Maka to the hilt time after time, I am a serial Maka defender in fact:greengrin partly I think because I just wanted such a brilliant character to do well, partly because he does have natural talent. Unfortunately, the Rangers game was the last straw for me; he was at fault throughout and your assessment of that game just doesnt ring true.

TornadoHibby
14-04-2010, 07:05 PM
I defended Maka to the hilt time after time, I am a serial Maka defender in fact:greengrin partly I think because I just wanted such a brilliant character to do well, partly because he does have natural talent. Unfortunately, the Rangers game was the last straw for me; he was at fault throughout and your assessment of that game just doesnt ring true.

Watch the highlights again then! :wink:

hibsbollah
14-04-2010, 07:10 PM

I dont need to, i was there.

Sumner
14-04-2010, 07:19 PM
For the salary he has picked up throughout his contract,
in comparison to performance, he should be laughing,
I would be, better than working for a living

Danderhall Hibs
14-04-2010, 07:53 PM
I can't believe this - I go away for 2 days and come back to see this thread is still here and there are still folk blindly defending him and seem to be under the impression that he's going to leave us, win the World Cup and then sign for Barcelona.

Incredible.

Jack
14-04-2010, 08:02 PM
I can't believe this - I go away for 2 days and come back to see this thread is still here and there are still folk blindly defending him and seem to be under the impression that he's going to leave us, win the World Cup and then sign for Barcelona.

Incredible.

Nobody is blindly defending him. There are just a few credible facts for those too blind to see.

Danderhall Hibs
14-04-2010, 08:03 PM
Nobody is blindly defending him. There are just a few credible facts for those too blind to see.

Do you think Maka's better than Andy Goram was?

TornadoHibby
14-04-2010, 08:09 PM

Well you weren't paying attention to what was happening then! :wink:

Watch the highlights again and this time do it dispassionately so that you can see what actually happened as opposed to what you think happened, the two very possibly being poles apart as often happened with Maka IMO! :cool2:

Anyway, no wish on my part to promulgate the increasing of this thread to gargantuan proportions as we have team problems of that scale to concern ourselves about right now rather than re indivdual players! :confused:

Jack
14-04-2010, 08:16 PM
Do you think Maka's better than Andy Goram was?

Absolutely ................. NOT! No way Andy was one of a kind.
While I think its fair to compare current keepers with current stats and current Hibs teams and oppositions it would be unfair to compare stats between eras.
It would be like asking who is the best between Cropley, Stokes, Gordon, Deeks or Jimmy; Zemamma or Edwards. Different times.

oldbutdim
14-04-2010, 09:42 PM
promulgate

:top marks

You don't get that quality on the Bounce - not since KevR left and Synapse blew his* brains out.

*Not Kev's - his own.

Newhaven
14-04-2010, 10:35 PM

Thanks but I've no need to see the highlights again of yet another Maka horror show. You'll be saying next that you want Zibi back as he was 'unlucky' :faf:

Feel free to come back on .net when Maka is playing for Real, Bayern or Barca when he's helping them to honours and indeed having the last laugh on me and the so called Maka bashers.

On the flip side when he ends up playing for Forres Mechanics against Cove Rangers in the Highland League crunch match of the 2010-11 season have the bottle to come back and admit you made a slight error in your assessment..

P.S. You would make a great politician with your last paragraph.

Ed De Gramo
14-04-2010, 10:37 PM
Thanks but I've no need to see the highlights again of yet another Maka horror show. You'll be saying next that you want Zibi back as he was 'unlucky' :faf:

Feel free to come back on .net when Maka is playing for Real, Bayern or Barca when he's helping them to honours and indeed having the last laugh on me and the so called Maka bashers.

On the flip side when he ends up playing for Forres Mechanics against Cove Rangers in the Highland League crunch match of the 2010-11 season have the bottle to come back and admit you made a slight error in your assessment..

P.S. You would make a great politician with your last paragraph.

WOAH!!!! You cannae seriously be putting Maka in the same bracket as Zibi...:bitchy:

Maka has the potential to be a English Championship keeper under the right guidance :agree:

Newhaven
14-04-2010, 10:54 PM
WOAH!!!! You cannae seriously be putting Maka in the same bracket as Zibi...:bitchy:

Maka has the potential to be a English Championship keeper under the right guidance :agree:

That's a debate for another thread young Gramo. I was just using it as an example to show that you can use evidence, stats and people standing on a grassy knoll to defend someone or something.

Bottom line is Maka is a poor keeper hence why he's getting binned soon.

Maybe Maka should go to St Johnstone and be reunited with Marshall. After all he never made any mistakes under him did he? :devil:

blackpoolhibs
15-04-2010, 06:29 AM

Scott Thomsons nae good then? I thought he was the answer to our goalkeeping problems?

erskine-hibby
15-04-2010, 06:31 AM
You can do anything with stats, but the fact is he is murder, an accident (not so) waiting to happen.

Jack
15-04-2010, 07:57 AM

Refusing to review the evidence? :grr: Sounds a bit like St Tony refusing to review the tape when McGready was sent off for diving at ER. :whistle:

At the end of the day though it wouldn’t have mattered in the huns game if Maka had made the save of the season then threw it in his net. We still would have been beaten; we still would have been pumped because the whole team was gash. I was there too, not that it made any difference to the game, Maka was crap and IIRC only one or two players played even close to reasonably.

As for those continually dismissing the stats, fair doos. :top marksfor effort.

Important people do it on telly when they don’t understand them or the stats don’t suit them so whether or not they actually do mean anything they can be dismissed 9 out of 10 times as irrelevant with an overused cliché. :yawn:

Easier doing that than discussing why one goalkeeper who lets in around a goal a game, despite mistakes, despite being busier, is worse than others who, seem to have an easier time, don’t seem to make mistakes but let in more goals against the same standard of opposition. :confused:

I’d find that quite a hard case to answer coherently and rationally.

hibeemark
15-04-2010, 08:02 AM
Refusing to review the evidence? :grr: Sounds a bit like St Tony refusing to review the tape when McGready was sent off for diving at ER. :whistle:

At the end of the day though it wouldn’t have mattered in the huns game if Maka had made the save of the season then threw it in his net. We still would have been beaten; we still would have been pumped because the whole team was gash. I was there too, not that it made any difference to the game, Maka was crap and IIRC only one or two players played even close to reasonably.

As for those continually dismissing the stats, fair doos. :top marksfor effort.

Important people do it on telly when they don’t understand them or the stats don’t suit them so whether or not they actually do mean anything they can be dismissed 9 out of 10 times as irrelevant with an overused cliché. :yawn:

Easier doing that than discussing why one goalkeeper who lets in around a goal a game, despite mistakes, despite being busier, is worse than others who, seem to have an easier time, don’t seem to make mistakes but let in more goals against the same standard of opposition. :confused:

I’d find that quite a hard case to answer coherently and rationally.

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." :wink:

TornadoHibby
15-04-2010, 08:04 AM
Scott Thomsons nae good then? I thought he was the answer to our goalkeeping problems?

In who's opinion? :confused:

TornadoHibby
15-04-2010, 08:06 AM
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." :wink:

And which "erudite" philosopher penned that nonsense then? :cool2:

Unless of course he defines "statistics" as not the raw facts but skewed analysis to "prove a point" which is not the case in relation to the statistics being considered at this point in this particular thread IM! :wink:

blackpoolhibs
15-04-2010, 08:10 AM
In who's opinion? :confused:

Almost everyone wanted rid of Marshall, all that was needed was a new goalkeeping coach, and our goalkeeping problems would disapear. Scott Thomson came in, yet Maka made the same mistakes. Strange?

Leith Green
15-04-2010, 08:18 AM

Jack..
Do you have a blunders to games played ratio stat??

Pretty Boy
15-04-2010, 08:26 AM
When Maka leaves Hibs at the end of the season he will more than likely get a lower half Championship club or a League 1 side. He will have a few good games and all will be rosy in the garden, then the inevitable mistakes will start. He will slowly drift down the leagues and end up a bit of a goalkeeping journeyman. I have absolutely no fears that i will be proved wrong on this one.

As for the stats on this thread, they are pretty unreliable to say the least. If every shot on target that is saved is counted then how do those stats differentiate between a great save from a free kick flying into the top corner by say Stack or Maka pcking up 3 simple efforts lacking power from 30 yards out?

At the end of the day we can point to all the stats in the world, the simple fact is after 3 seasons and 3 permanant mangers and 1 caretaker Maka has failed to establish him as our number 1 keeper despite having far more time than any of the others to do so. The fact he has dropped to 4th choice pretty much says it all for me. Anyone with eyes doesn't need stats to see that Maka whilst capable of great stops is prone to far too many lapses in concentration and stupid mistakes which should be becoming rarer but don't appear to be. Nice big guy, ok keeper but not going to shed any tears when he's cleared of the wage bill, will not be a great loss or regret IMO.

Jack
15-04-2010, 08:30 AM
Jack..
Do you have a blunders to games played ratio stat??

No I don’t. :rolleyes:

Still, since I was in the Cubs only goals have counted either for us or against us. It’s a long time for me since corners were considered as a ‘score’ and I cant ever remember league tables having blunders for and against columns. :greengrin Leagues settled on blunder difference :faf:

Be a good idea for those on here that don’t like Maka though, it would really give them something they could point to as substantive evidence he’s loosing us games / league position. :devil:

TornadoHibby
15-04-2010, 08:38 AM
When Maka leaves Hibs at the end of the season he will more than likely get a lower half Championship club or a League 1 side. He will have a few good games and all will be rosy in the garden, then the inevitable mistakes will start. He will slowly drift down the leagues and end up a bit of a goalkeeping journeyman. I have absolutely no fears that i will be proved wrong on this one.
As for the stats on this thread, they are pretty unreliable to say the least. If every shot on target that is saved is counted then how do those stats differentiate between a great save from a free kick flying into the top corner by say Stack or Maka pcking up 3 simple efforts lacking power from 30 yards out?

At the end of the day we can point to all the stats in the world, the simple fact is after 3 seasons and 3 permanant mangers and 1 caretaker Maka has failed to establish him as our number 1 keeper despite having far more time than any of the others to do so. The fact he has dropped to 4th choice pretty much says it all for me. Anyone with eyes doesn't need stats to see that Maka whilst capable of great stops is prone to far too many lapses in concentration and stupid mistakes which should be becoming rarer but don't appear to be. Nice big guy, ok keeper but not going to shed any tears when he's cleared of the wage bill, will not be a great loss or regret IMO.

Could you send me the numbers for this week's Euro Lottery please? :wink: :greengrin :faf: :faf:

Pretty Boy
15-04-2010, 08:43 AM
Could you send me the numbers for this week's Euro Lottery please? :wink: :greengrin :faf: :faf:

eh... no. Mainly because i can't predict the future.

I said i have no fears about being proved wrong. I don't because i see nothing in Maka to suggest i will be. At no point did i say i definitely wouldn't be proved worng.

Leith Green
15-04-2010, 08:55 AM
No I don’t. :rolleyes:

Still, since I was in the Cubs only goals have counted either for us or against us. It’s a long time for me since corners were considered as a ‘score’ and Icant ever remember league tables having blunders for and against columns. :greengrin Leagues settled on blunder difference :faf:

Be a good idea for those on here that don’t like Maka though, it would really give them something they could point to as substantive evidence he’s loosing us games / league position. :devil:

Listen mate, maybe if you take Makas shhllong out ur face long enough to actually see then you will realise that folk dont have it in for Maka, they just got a wee bit peeved at his erratic goalkeeping performances and subsequently dont rate him as a goalkeeper..

TornadoHibby
15-04-2010, 09:35 AM
eh... no. Mainly because i can't predict the future.

I said i have no fears about being proved wrong. I don't because i see nothing in Maka to suggest i will be. At no point did i say i definitely wouldn't be proved worng.

I know that this may come as a shock to some, especially yourself, but many people would interpret your comments as ..................... an attempt at "predicting the future"! :wink: :cool2:

Jack
15-04-2010, 09:37 AM
Listen mate, maybe if you take Makas shhllong out ur face long enough to actually see then you will realise that folk dont have it in for Maka, they just got a wee bit peeved at his erratic goalkeeping performances and subsequently dont rate him as a goalkeeper..

I’m not like HibsSpain I know he makas mistakes but so does everyone else and the mistakes he makas don’t seem to have a negative effect on anything other than our cardiac conditions when comparing him with our other goalies. :agree:

Here’s something I prepared earlier. :greengrin

You know the folk who don’t appreciate Maka must know something the rest of us don’t, surely we win less games, drop more points when Maka is in goal.

Here are the stats folks … :bitchy:

SPL ONLY

Maka
Played 7; won 5 (71.4%); draw 1 (14.3%); lost 1 (14.3%) – this season
Played 57; won 25 (43.9%); draw 14 (24.6%); lost 18 (31.6%) - overall

Stack
Played 19; won 7 (36.8%); draw 5 (26.3%); lost 7 (36.8%)

Smith
Played 8; won 3 (37.5%); draw 2 (25.0%); lost 3 (37.5%)

2.285 points per game for Maka this season
1.368 points per game for Stack
1.375 points per game for Smith

1.561 points per game for Maka overall

So despite his mistakes we loose less goals when he plays; we drop less points when he plays, canny be that either then! :rolleyes:

The mans a lucky charm. :faf:

Newhaven
15-04-2010, 10:58 AM
Scott Thomson came in and our goalkeeping problems would disapear.

If fixed that quote for you Blackpool.

Maka looks set to leave in the summer. Would you not see that as a goalkeeping problem disappearing :confused:

euro Hibby
15-04-2010, 11:21 AM
I ask my self if Jack has been reading

How to Lie with Statistics (Paperback)
~ Darrell Huff

Seriously , while some folk can't see maka has a good keeper the sum total of whats on the board suggests he is better than some think or want to admit. I know Hibs Spain has followed this thread somehow and he asked me to remind Danderhall Hibs that he owes him a pint ! For what I don't know but thats the message !

Franck is God
15-04-2010, 11:41 AM
I’m not like HibsSpain I know he makas mistakes but so does everyone else and the mistakes he makas don’t seem to have a negative effect on anything other than our cardiac conditions when comparing him with our other goalies. :agree:

Here’s something I prepared earlier. :greengrin

You know the folk who don’t appreciate Maka must know something the rest of us don’t, surely we win less games, drop more points when Maka is in goal.

Here are the stats folks … :bitchy:

SPL ONLY

Maka
Played 7; won 5 (71.4%); draw 1 (14.3%); lost 1 (14.3%) – this season
Played 57; won 25 (43.9%); draw 14 (24.6%); lost 18 (31.6%) - overall

Stack
Played 19; won 7 (36.8%); draw 5 (26.3%); lost 7 (36.8%)

Smith
Played 8; won 3 (37.5%); draw 2 (25.0%); lost 3 (37.5%)

2.285 points per game for Maka this season
1.368 points per game for Stack
1.375 points per game for Smith

1.561 points per game for Maka overall

So despite his mistakes we loose less goals when he plays; we drop less points when he plays, canny be that either then! :rolleyes:

The mans a lucky charm. :faf:

Sorry mate, you are fighting a losing battle, they have made up their mind and no matter how good your argument is, the fact that you have actual evidence to back it up is irrelevant to these people. It's why I stopped posting about Riordan as its completely pointless.

Their minds are made up and its why it will be best for Maka to move on in the summer, nothing would make me happier to see him back in goals but its not going to happen and even if it did the majority would simply be looking to find fault somewhere.

FWIW I agree with everything you've said.

Jack
15-04-2010, 11:46 AM
I ask my self if Jack has been reading

How to Lie with Statistics (Paperback)
~ Darrell Huff

Seriously , while some folk can't see maka has a good keeper the sum total of whats on the board suggests he is better than some think or want to admit. I know Hibs Spain has followed this thread somehow and he asked me to remind Danderhall Hibs that he owes him a pint ! For what I don't know but thats the message !

I’ve done nothing but look at the results when each keeper has been playing. I wasn’t sure what the last lot were going to say but I would have put up the results anyway. :greengrin

I work in a medical environment where evidence based decisions are crucial and anecdotal evidence is somewhat frowned upon. That’s how I see this discussion.

As many have said Maka is a very nice laddie and its difficult not to like him and Stack is a larger than life character its difficult not to smile along with. It’s a bit too early to say [or should that be squeak] anything about Smith and particularly Brown as they’ve not really been here long enough. They are all Hibs players.

Maka is still a Hibs player and, as I’ve shown, as good as any keeper we have.

I would just ask that all Hibs supporters get behind whichever keeper it is that’s playing. If its Maka give him the positive support he deserves. Lets not join the unfounded and undeserved media witch-hunt some on here have been too easily influenced by.

Danderhall Hibs
15-04-2010, 11:59 AM
I know Hibs Spain has followed this thread somehow and he asked me to remind Danderhall Hibs that he owes him a pint ! For what I don't know but thats the message !

Can you get his mobile number to me please? I've had to change phones and his number must've been stored on the phone rather than the SIM.

TornadoHibby
15-04-2010, 01:11 PM
Sorry mate, you are fighting a losing battle, they have made up their mind and no matter how good your argument is, the fact that you have actual evidence to back it up is irrelevant to these people. It's why I stopped posting about Riordan as its completely pointless.

Their minds are made up and its why it will be best for Maka to move on in the summer, nothing would make me happier to see him back in goals but its not going to happen and even if it did the majority would simply be looking to find fault somewhere.

FWIW I agree with everything you've said.

:top marks

Disappointing way for Maka's time at Hibs to come to an end but I suspect it will go as you suggest I imagine! :agree:

For people on this thread to compare him to Malkowski just sums up how entrenched their" regard" for Maka has become as he is light years better than Zibi as anyone who has seen both play over a decent period of time would clearly know! :confused:

euro Hibby
15-04-2010, 01:32 PM
for Danderhall HIbs 779 2011219

--------
15-04-2010, 01:33 PM
I’ve done nothing but look at the results when each keeper has been playing. I wasn’t sure what the last lot were going to say but I would have put up the results anyway. :greengrin

I work in a medical environment where evidence based decisions are crucial and anecdotal evidence is somewhat frowned upon. That’s how I see this discussion.

As many have said Maka is a very nice laddie and its difficult not to like him and Stack is a larger than life character its difficult not to smile along with. It’s a bit too early to say [or should that be squeak] anything about Smith and particularly Brown as they’ve not really been here long enough. They are all Hibs players.

I would just ask that all Hibs supporters get behind whichever keeper it is that’s playing. If its Maka give him the positive support he deserves. Lets not join the unfounded and undeserved media witch-hunt some on here have been too easily influenced by.

I agree with everything you say here, but like Frank and Tornado, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for some netters to give Maka even a semblance of fair dealing.

As good as any keeper we have, and better than some. Absolutely. :agree:

Andy74
15-04-2010, 01:38 PM

God help the future of medicine then if you can't see that your stats here are absolutley pointless in deciding whether Maka is a good keeper or not.

Next we'll be hearing how the passage of time has also made Zibi into a half decent keeper.

euro Hibby
15-04-2010, 01:38 PM
I actually was not sure about Maka but having seen the others in action and looked at the stats Maka defends himself well.....Then if you look at age and potential he still should has it in him to come good..........for danderhall add a 0 to the number at the beginnning !

Jack
15-04-2010, 03:13 PM
God help the future of medicine then if you can't see that your stats here are absolutley pointless in deciding whether Maka is a good keeper or not.

Next we'll be hearing how the passage of time has also made Zibi into a half decent keeper.

They're only pointless when put against the intransigence of some people to even consider them in the discussion. For the rest of us they're a quite useful part of the debate.

euro Hibby
15-04-2010, 05:44 PM
jack appreciate your efforts to hight light that the mob opinion can distort the truth ! Facts talk loud and clear and its hard to believe that some prefer to stick to what they thought they saw. I posed the question at the start of the thread because I thought it was ironic that since the goalie change we went down hill big time. Sure maybe just one factor in the reason but as dodie mentions he is not the worst and maybe better. As mentioned, I fear goalie or not , we peaked too soon , and were lucky when needed and I wonder what we will get from the next 5 games !

Come on Yogi stick Maka in goals , one last chance !

Jack
15-04-2010, 06:21 PM
TBH Superman would get a hard time on here fighting the injustice!
I dont think Maka coming in for the last 5 games against the strongest teams would do him any good, although I'd have no reservations about doing so. His record against them is pretty good.

Newhaven
16-04-2010, 06:29 AM

He may have potential

He has alot of potential IMO and it won't be the last we will see of him.

To bad that 'potential' never turned into anything positive in his 3 years at Hibs.

Danderhall Hibs
16-04-2010, 07:25 AM
jack appreciate your efforts to hight light that the mob opinion can distort the truth ! Facts talk loud and clear and its hard to believe that some prefer to stick to what they thought they saw. I posed the question at the start of the thread because I thought it was ironic that since the goalie change we went down hill big time. Sure maybe just one factor in the reason but as dodie mentions he is not the worst and maybe better. As mentioned, I fear goalie or not , we peaked too soon , and were lucky when needed and I wonder what we will get from the next 5 games !

Come on Yogi stick Maka in goals , one last chance !

We went downhill after the Celtic game in January - that was well after Maka threw the goals in against Rangers.

BTW cheers for the number - I'll text HS and arrange to meet him before a match.

euro Hibby
05-05-2010, 08:45 PM
And that was one of his replacements !!!! What a joke !

Taz_hibee
05-05-2010, 08:55 PM

Were you watching the game on Sat and tonight, and you say Maka is pish, have a word with yourself, Maka at his worst is better than that

euro Hibby
05-05-2010, 08:58 PM
Has to be said Hibs Spain was right from day one -

(((Fergus)))
05-05-2010, 09:02 PM
Has to be said Hibs Spain was right from day one -

5% of us knew that all along :agree:

hibsbollah
05-05-2010, 09:03 PM
Bring back Hibs Spain
Bring back Maka
Im not even joking.

euro Hibby
05-05-2010, 09:08 PM
agree 100 % deserves a comeback - dumping of Maka and Hibs Spain have brought us to this !